• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Final Fantasy XII just became my favorite in the series.

royalan

SO...

Considering that the Fabula Nova Crystallis series has largely been a bust for Square-Enix (lukewarm FFXIII, a sequel nobody wanted, vaporware FFvsXIII, and a handheld game I don't think anybody remembers, and an engine that was supposed to be their next big thing but has largely been abandoned after one big game...damn S-E sucks so hard this gen) what do you guys think are the chances of SE returning to the world of Ivalice?

Between the handheld games and FFXII, Ivalice is probably the most popular game world they've created - and definitely the most evolved. I would personally love another main console Final Fantasy game to return to Ivalice.

That, and I don't think I ever got over the fact that we never actually got to see Rozarria (although, it made a lot of sense for the story).

dramatis

royalan said:
SO...

Considering that the Fabula Nova Crystallis series has largely been a bust for Square-Enix (lukewarm FFXIII, a sequel nobody wanted, vaporware FFvsXIII, and a handheld game I don't think anybody remembers, and an engine that was supposed to be their next big thing but has largely been abandoned after one big game...damn S-E sucks so hard this gen) what do you guys think are the chances of SE returning to the world of Ivalice?

Between the handheld games and FFXII, Ivalice is probably the most popular game world they've created - and definitely the most evolved. I would personally love another main console Final Fantasy game to return to Ivalice.

That, and I don't think I ever got over the fact that we never actually got to see Rozarria (although, it made a lot of sense for the story).
It's as dead as Fortress. Let the corpse lie.

Roto13

royalan said:
SO...

The handheld game came out not too long ago in Japan to strong reception. It's also not a Stupid Latin Bullshit FFXIII game any more.

I can see Squenix returning to Ivalice, but probably not in a mainline game. When they inevitably make Final Fantasy Tactics 3DS, it will be an Ivalice game. There was also that Ivalice game Grin was working on when they collapsed upon themselves like a dying star. I wouldn't be surprised to see that resurface some time in the future.

Aeana

Roto13 said:
The handheld game came out not too long ago in Japan to strong reception. It's also not a Stupid Latin Bullshit FFXIII game any more.
Type-0 isn't out until the 27th.

Puddles

Banned
I'm like 5 hours in, and I'm about to go to the West Gate to board some airship to save Penelo.

Vaan is like a really crappy combination of Aladdin and Max from Goof Troop. Main difference is that Aladdin had an awesome monkey, and less than an hour into the movie he gets a motherfucking flying carpet and basically becomes King Badass. And Max was like some Tony Hawk level skater who also managed to humiliate his principal in front of the entire school and score with the girl of his dreams.

Vaan needs to man the fuck up and stop being such an emo. Always whining about the war and his brother, and for some reason, real badasses like Balthier and the one dude whose twin brother is a Judge seem to take him seriously.

What's with most male FF protagonists being so emo ever since FF7? Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Vaan... not one testicle between them. Square needs to go back to the FF6 style, when we got to play as real motherfuckers like Locke and Cyan.

royalan said:
SO...

I'm tired of people saying that XIII-2 is a sequel no one wanted, but whatever.

I very much doubt Ivalice is the most popular FF world. VII and X probably have that beat.

Seeing as how they have damned Ivalice to small efforts I doubt we will ever visit it again. Thank god because Ivalice games after XII are all terrible.

Rad-

Puddles said:
I'm like 5 hours in, and I'm about to go to the West Gate to board some airship to save Penelo.

Vaan is like a really crappy combination of Aladdin and Max from Goof Troop. Main difference is that Aladdin had an awesome monkey, and less than an hour into the movie he gets a motherfucking flying carpet and basically becomes King Badass. And Max was like some Tony Hawk level skater who also managed to humiliate his principal in front of the entire school and score with the girl of his dreams.

Vaan needs to man the fuck up and stop being such an emo. Always whining about the war and his brother, and for some reason, real badasses like Balthier and the one dude whose twin brother is a Judge seem to take him seriously.

What's with most male FF protagonists being so emo ever since FF7? Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Vaan... not one testicle between them. Square needs to go back to the FF6 style, when we got to play as real motherfuckers like Locke and Cyan.

I agree but a great part about XII is that after 2 hours, you can ignore Vaan as the main character. Just control Balthier or Basch and play them as the main guy.

Famassu

Puddles said:

My god, Vaan isn't emo, people should really stop using that word if you have no fucking idea what it means. It's as annoingly over- AND misused as "hipster." The fuck, really, that's a fucking stupid complaint. Someone complaining != emo. I guess you'd be perfectly fine if your brother was killed in a war and if you confronted the person you thought was the reason for his death?

All-in-all, Vaan is a very positive person with hopes and dreams for the future. He'd be emo if he was all "I don't want to live in this world anymore, I'll just go ahead and sulk in the corner and maybe cut myself", but he's not at all like that.

Roto13

Puddles said:

I don't think emo means anything you think it means.

ezekial45 said:
I would've loved to have seen them use their original FFXII storyline. It was much darker, and Basch was the main character.

OZex8.jpg

Anyway, It's a fantastic game. I'm still really disappointed they didn't continue down this route, in terms of playstyle, for the FF games that followed.

I did not know that, Basch always seemed like main character material along with Ashe to me. Shame they did not keep it that way (I'm not a big fan of Vaan). XII is definitely in my top RPG's and easily one of my favorite FF's. I really wish XII was getting the HD treatment instead of X.

Gvaz

Banned
Famassu said:
My god, Vaan isn't emo, people should really stop using that word if you have no fucking idea what it means. It's as annoingly over- AND misused as "hipster." The fuck, really, that's a fucking stupid complaint. Someone complaining != emo.

He's a whiny sop and no one wants to hear it. At least at first he is. I'm not going to argue about the misuse though.

royalan

Ugh, I'm sad that they didn't use Basch as the main character...

But damn am I GLAD that they didn't use that concept art. That art makes Basch look like a Westernized version of the same young, emo character they've been rehashing since FFVII.

In-game Basch is perfect. Fucking manly badass...first videogame character to give me a boner.

WbGwW.jpg

Bentendo

My brother took the PS2 with him when he moved out and I have absolutely no way of replaying this game. He's a nice guy and willing to lend me his stuff but he told me he's lost most of the cables and controller. I'm seriously considering buying a PS2 off Amazon and borrowing his copy of FFXII just so I can play it again. I've been playing the trial version of WoW and it reminded me how much I enjoyed this game.

dramatis

Bentendo said:
My brother took the PS2 with him when he moved out and I have absolutely no way of replaying this game. He's a nice guy and willing to lend me his stuff but he told me he's lost most of the cables and controller. I'm seriously considering buying a PS2 off Amazon and borrowing his copy of FFXII just so I can play it again. I've been playing the trial version of WoW and it reminded me how much I enjoyed this game.
If you have a badass PC, you can play this. Check the PS2 emu thread.

royalan said:

But damn am I GLAD that they didn't use that concept art. That art makes Basch look like a Westernized version of the same young, emo character they've been rehashing since FFVII.

In-game Basch is perfect. Fucking manly badass...first videogame character to give me a boner.

WbGwW.jpg

i agree...

(minus the boner part)

DaBuddaDa

I was lukewarm on this when I first played it, but in hindsight it was probably one of my favorite games to experience over the past decade. Wonderful in every conceivable way.

I urge everyone with a powerful computer to download the English International version patch and try running it through an emulator. The International version makes an already great game even better by implementing an actual job system to the license board.

It also renders all FAQs mostly useless as so many vendors and NPCs and hunts and stuff were changed in the International version. If you're down with figuring things out yourself, that's a godsend.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I read the title as "XIII" and smiled. Then I realized what it said and cried.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's my favourite as well. I never understood the story and never cared to, but I loved the look and sound of the game, the battle system, I just really enjoyed playing it. It was so much less annoying than something like FFX.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Gvaz said:
You wanted someone to like a terrible game?
I don't want anyone liking FF12, but they seem to manage it all the time. Oh well!

huggles

Neo Member
Puddles said:

Vaan is emo? People really need to let up on a character that at worst, they can ignore for most of the game if they so choose. Never is he even remotely close to being emo and if you think he is, he is already infinitely better than most of the recent FF leads just for the fact that he is mature enough to say "ok, I know you didn't do it and no use to get caught up in the past I can't change. I just gotta try and aim for the future" once the truth is known about Basch.

It really sounds like if the character you play is not straight off "badass" straight from the top, all the time, then it's a shitty character. A POV is one of many ways to tell a story. Matsuno said Vaan was in the story from the beginning, other dev people confirmed it, the original Basch pic that everyone is posting is a different character that we have today who could have very well been a Vaan type personality, who knows.

royalan said:

The original sketch is a younger than the Basch we got in the final game. It said something like in his 20's and considered a much different character than we have today.

Gvaz

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I don't want anyone liking FF12, but they seem to manage it all the time. Oh well!
It's all opinions of course, but I don't want anyone liking FF13. Having played through that to completion I wouldn't wish that game on my worst enemy, even for a diehard FF fan suggesting it is dubious at best.

FF12 however from the few hours I played has more exciting gameplay and not so linear levels at least.

RevenantKioku

Gvaz said:
It's all opinions of course, but I don't want anyone liking FF13. Having played through that to completion I wouldn't wish that game on my worst enemy, even for a diehard FF fan suggesting it is dubious at best.

FF12 however from the few hours I played has more exciting gameplay and not so linear levels at least.
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully one day you will be cured. Kawazu be with you.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont know about you guys, but Baasch was my main character the whole time, with Vaan doing side stories or sidequests.

legacyzero

Banned
davepoobond said:
i dont know about you guys, but Baasch was my main character the whole time, with Vaan doing side stories or sidequests.
This.

Vaan almost made me not like the game. But the Gameplay was SOOOO addicting.

suzu

Vaan was barely in the story. I don't see how anybody can hate him that much. He is no Luke (from Tales of the Abyss). lol.

The onscreen character running around & fighting part is like an MMO (FFXI), sure. The gambits and license board? No.

Roto13

When I first started playing the game, I knew I was going to hate Vaan as soon as he was introduced and I was pretty sure I was going to hate Penelo too. That stupid bossy big sister hands-on-her-hips look and grunt of disapproval thing she does two seconds into her first scene is just about everything I hate about female characters in JRPGs concentrated into a single moment. That's about the end of her being obnoxious, though, so she was fine with me. And both her and Vaan blend into the background pretty quickly. If you didn't have to use Vaan as your avatar in combat-free areas, you'd pretty much be able to pretend he's not there.

It really does lend support to the idea that he was just shoehorned in there by someone who cared more about appealing to demographics than the game itself. They parade him around front-and-center for a few hours, going "Hey, look, he's young and kind of angsty and immature and OH SO CUTE HE LOOKS LIKE A BABY! Yup. He exists." Then they quietly stick him in a corner for the rest of the game.

Also people need to stop pretending XIII has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever, because instantly dismissing everything about the game because it's disappointing is kind of childish.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RevenantKioku said:
I read the title as "XIII" and smiled. Then I realized what it said and cried.

So you like terrible games with the exception of FF5. What else is new? ;)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
suzu said:
Vaan was barely in the story.

pretty much. he was shoehorned in as a marketing decision. there's no real redeeming factor to his character, nor his jail bait girlfriend.

ronito

So I'm still trudging along, albeit slowly. Now I'm headed to the Silika Wood which is the farthest I ever got (I got to that sprout boss thingy and just realized I didn't care anymore).

Again it's really amazing that they didn't publish the Zodiac System in the US it's a FAR better game. If we ever get that HD version everyone is begging for it'd better be Zodiac. Although I must admit I wish I could have a "sub job"

Things are still going much as they ever did. I'm still astonished at the beauty of the graphics the non-teen characters and the astounding localization. Honestly it's like an eargasm. The music is still "meh" to me though it does have good moments.

Still I am utterly shocked that game with such good points could have such horrible dungeon design. Those things are a chore. And it makes even less sense when you think about how well the overworld map is done.

Kraftwerk

Skilletor said:
<3 <3 <3 <3 Zodiac edition.

I would pay large amounts of money to have that on the Vita.

Indeed.

Based on recommendation in this thread and a little help from Acullis I went ahead and got the Zodiac Edition.

It is absolutely perfect. Would definitely kill for this on the Vita.

TrounceX

Hmm what is this I read about a IZJS patch?

Stupid question but is that even legal?

In other words am I going to get in trouble here for asking for a link?

Skilletor

Puddles said:
What are the differences between Vanilla and Zodiac? I have a copy of Vanilla right now.

Zodiac adds a job system which splits up the license board. Everybody keeps the same job throughout the game.

Gambits are all largely available from very early in the game (You still have to buy them all, though).

They added a fast forward feature.

A bunch of other stuff, but those are the largest changes.

Top Bottom