• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

He's not even the worst example. How do you get a varied moveset out of Little Mac? What would make Shulk different from the other swordsmen beyond a few specials? They sound like a good idea, but they need some creativity to make them work. It's not impossible. But a bad character for fanservice's sake isn't a good trade unless they're easy to make.

I think Lil Mac's moveset would be pretty easy to make. Just give him to someone over at Namco and let them work they're magic if all else fails. He could have uppercuts, jab combos with mutiple branches, counter strikes. Shulk I'm not familiar with so idk about him.

I don't think its a burn out. The pre-Brawl period was just as long as the Smash 4 one is, but I have noticed a lot less hype than what I saw prior to Brawl's announcement. Its simply a result of nearly all the big names already being in at this point.

I expect the first four newcomers we will get will be Ridley, Palutena, Takamaru, and Mega Man (or a Namco character in place of Mega Man).

Also, in regards to the Ridley size stuff:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9456/ssbmsamusvsridley.gif

I guess you do have a point now that I'm looking at it from that angle. In a way, this could result in a few more surprises. That's always a plus.

Yep, and it has been discussed to death but a Smash version of Ridley could definitely work.

I am still hyping in my pants for new character additions. There is no one really left besides some curve balls and I am ready to strikeout. If there is no Punch Out!! representative this time I will be surprised, it's just a shame that it will most likely be Little Mac.

New characters is the one of the only reason to get hyped imo. What? Lil Mac would be fine.

Randdalf

Another reason to get hyped is being able to play Smash on your 3DS... I think a few of the new characters in this entry are going to be "upgraded" from assist trophies in Brawl. Think Isaac, Little Mac,
Waluigi
, along those kind of lines.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
New characters is the one of the only reason to get hyped imo. What? Lil Mac would be fine.

The possibility of an online mode that doesn't send me to the lag zone has me pumped uppers. Little Mac is fine but I feel Bald Bull, Soda Popinski, or King Hippo would make a far more interesting addition.

Mr. Fix

Solution: Clip Ridley's wings.

Another reason to get hyped is being able to play Smash on your 3DS... I think a few of the new characters in this entry are going to be "upgraded" from assist trophies in Brawl. Think Isaac, Little Mac,
Waluigi
, along those kind of lines.

Yes yes yes.

J-Tier

They could just keep Ridley's hurtbox to his body. His wings could have no hurtbox outside of attacks that utilize the wings, in which the wings would have a hurtbox during active frames after the durability of the attack is gone.

L Thammy

ssbmsamusvsridley.gif

Is that Ridley missing a tail? Also, is he standing up like a dude in a rubber suit before he lunges?

I think Lil Mac's moveset would be pretty easy to make. Just give him to someone over at Namco and let them work they're magic if all else fails.

Could you give him over a dozen different punches while making him unique and fun to play? Namco isn't a magic machine that pumps out movesets. He could be in, but it would take more work than a character who already has a wide variety of attacks or tools.

My point is, a popular character may require more effort and creativity to make. That probably means more time and more cost. If it's too much then the character will either be abandoned or will be given a "clone" moveset. Not saying that it's going to happen with any character in particular, but the development staff has to think about this stuff for more than a minute or two.

Quackula

The number one thing I think I want from Smash 4 is giving Ganondorf a proper unique moveset. He deserves better than being a Cap Falcon clone.

Is that Ridley missing a tail? Also, is he standing up like a dude in a rubber suit before he lunges?

Alien nod maybe?

GamerSoul

They could just keep Ridley's hurtbox to his body. His wings could have no hurtbox outside of attacks that utilize the wings, in which the wings would have a hurtbox during active frames after the durability of the attack is gone.

Bingo, I was thinking something along those lines.

Could you give him over a dozen different punches while making him unique and fun to play? Namco isn't a magic machine that pumps out movesets. He could be in, but it would take more work than a character who already has a wide variety of attacks or tools.

Yes I could. I still believe he would not too hard to implement compared to others characters. His moves will soley focus on punches of varied ranges so the developers would already have a good idea of what they're going for. Besides you would have to worry about giving him any extra animations for kicks like how they made Dudley and Balrog who are two very distinct SF boxers. You could also give him a move or two from the other boxers for specials to spice it up. The fact that he has a little less to work with could make him even more unique, just look at Capt. Falcon. Could you have come up with a moveset for him soley on his own series?

My point is, a popular character may require more effort and creativity to make. That probably means more time and more cost. If it's too much then the character will either be abandoned or will be given a "clone" moveset. Not saying that it's going to happen with any character in particular, but the development staff has to think about this stuff for more than a minute or two.

I really understand your point, but I firmly believe that if they really wanted to put X character in they would take the time implement them. I mean if they could take the time and resources to create new enemies, with their own animations, etc, for a story mode, why wouldn't they put even more time for the actual characters that make the game worth it? This is the 4th installment so I would hope they don't go in the the character development process blind.

Snakey

Any predictions as to who the first unveiled newcomers will be.

Here's mine:
Ridley
Takamaru
Palutena
Mega Man (or a Namco character)

If it's a similar setup to Brawl's unveiling?

Ridley = Meta Knight
Takamaru = Retro character like Pit
Palutena = Female character like Zamus
Little Mac = An 'obvious' character who wasn't in previous games like Wario
Mega Man/ Pac Man = 3rd party

(so basically exactly what you just said :U)

Ryce

The game's been in development for about seven months, and that's how far in they were with Brawl before releasing the first trailer. They're probably at a point where the game is presentable, but Nintendo might want to wait until E3 so they have something big to go up against the PS4/720 with.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The game's been in development for about seven months, and that's how far in they were with Brawl before releasing the first trailer. They're probably at a point where the game is presentable, but Nintendo might want to wait until E3 so they have something big to go up against the PS4/720 with.

Exactly. Sakurai haven't tweet anything about Nintendo Direct, so we are not getting anything this time.

Last time Sakurai tweeted Nintendo Direct, that's when they announced Namco Bandai working on SSB4 with Sakurai.

GamerSoul

i want to believe though. Nintendo needs to generate some hype soon around their system and I think Smash could do it. If I'm wrong oh well. Maybe E3.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The possibility of an online mode that doesn't send me to the lag zone has me pumped uppers. Little Mac is fine but I feel Bald Bull, Soda Popinski, or King Hippo would make a far more interesting addition.

Despite my fake roster being full of joke entries, the Glass Joe one wasn't. The opponents in Punch Out are far more interesting as boxing characters than Little Mac.

Oh and I find myself more interested in the stages than the fighters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hypothetically, they could show SSB4 tomorrow but they will only show 4 to 6 returning characters battling it out on stages. Soon as video are going to end, the message would come up. It will read as more characters coming to E3. That's when we will expect bunch of new characters and cinematic trailer debut.

Wishful thinking.

If Nintendo has shown us anything from the past few years it's that they can't be bothered to make "big showings at E3". I mean, remember last E3? THAT should have kicked off the hype for the Wii U ...

And I'm sure Smash 4 has been in production for longer than 7 months. Not that I expect anything tomorrow, just saying.
every time i think about this game i get worried because of sakurai's customization comments

Welcome to the small group of people who actually care about that vague-yet-IMPORTANT bit of info we got about Smash4!!! Good luck starting a decision about that, tried more than a few times myself but no bites. Apparently no one wants to speculate about that.

GamerSoul

Hypothetically, they could show SSB4 tomorrow but they will only show 4 to 6 returning characters battling it out on stages. Soon as video are going to end, the message would come up. It will read as more characters coming to E3. That's when we will expect bunch of new characters and cinematic trailer debut.

Wishful thinking.

v_v only if it were true. Sometimes I don't think they understand what hype is.

If Nintendo has shown us anything from the past few years it's that they can't be bothered to make "big showings at E3". I mean, remember last E3? THAT should have kicked off the hype for the Wii U ...

And I'm sure Smash 4 has been in production for longer than 7 months. Not that I expect anything tomorrow, just saying.

Very true, it would be nice though to get something. Maybe Sakurai needs even more time now since he's working on a 3DS version also. The big reveal could include both versions so it could be put off til later. I would like to see Bayo 2 at the least from the Direct.

Welcome to the small group of people who actually care about that vague-yet-IMPORTANT bit of info we got about Smash4!!! Good luck starting a decision about that, tried more than a few times myself but no bites. Apparently no one wants to speculate about that.

lulz It's a very interesting topic AND it could be one of Sakurai's main changes to the series but I don't think people want to speculate about it. It's not even part of the smash cycle yet so that fact alone proves it. Maybe it's still too vague right now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Very true, it would be nice though to get something. Maybe Sakurai needs even more time now since he's working on a 3DS version also. The big reveal could include both versions so it could be put off til later. I would like to see Bayo 2 at the least from the Direct.

There is other reason why I don't expect SSB4 tomorrow because it will be Wii U only. I'm sure that they would like to show off SSB4 on Wii U and 3DS at same time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Smash seems like the perfect E3 game. They need to appeal to everyone so after focusing on something like WiiFiiU what better than having a game that is guaranteed to be a hit with the core gamers.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Spamming hadouken's with Ryu seems more fun to me than spamming with Mega Man's blaster...

Of course it's important, but that hardly anyone wants to speculate about it right now is mostly because "customization" can mean just about everything. Other than the word, we have nothing to go on. It's just way too vague for now.
As soon as there's more to go off of, there'll be more discussion about whatever that customization entails.

Also, I think you're not the most popular user in here, with your wall of texts and very aggressive discussion style, so maybe some people just don't read your posts at full.

Spamming hadouken's with Ryu seems more fun to me than spamming with Mega Man's blaster...

I think you're in the minority. :p

Ryce

Ryu would be pretty boring since Mario's already patterned after him.

Standard Special Move: Hadoken (Fireball)
Side Special Move: Jodan Sokuto Geri (Cape)
Up Special Move: Shoryuken (Super Jump Punch)
Down Special Move: Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Mario Tornado)
Final Smash: Shinku Hadoken (Mario Finale)

I'M FINISHED!

Ryu would be pretty boring since Mario's already patterned after him.

Standard Special Move: Hadoken (Fireball)
Side Special Move: Jodan Sokuto Geri (Cape)
Up Special Move: Shoryuken (Super Jump Punch)
Down Special Move: Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Mario Tornado)
Final Smash: Shinku Hadoken (Mario Finale)

Yeah, but wouldn't Mega Man just be a mix of Samus and Kirby? Ryu would at least stand out more aesthetically. The Street Fighter series is also historically significant to Nintendo consoles just like the Mega Man series. I am well aware that Mega Man is winning the Smash popularity contest, but it won't stop me from rooting for the Capcom underdog.

Ryu is already pretty much the #2 after Mega Man in terms of popularity (for Smash at least). If you really wanted an underdog from Capcom, you'd have to root for, let's say Sieg Wahrheit.
Now THAT is a Capcom underdog. :p

I'M FINISHED!

Ryu is already pretty much the #2 after Mega Man in terms of popularity (for Smash at least). If you really wanted an underdog from Capcom, you'd have to root for, let's say Sieg Wahrheit.
Now THAT is a Capcom underdog. :p

That must make the Snow Bros underpuppies.

Isn't anyone other than Mega Man an underdog though? There seems to be a huge split between #1 and #2. Mega Man is the only one that gets any serious mention. When Ryu gets brought up he usually gets strangled by search snakes leaving his lifeless corpse open to a drill bombing.

I'm pretty sure that people want Mega Man at this point because they think it'll mean Capcom is going to make Legends 3. But it ain't gonna happen huehuehue

L Thammy

Ah so Ridley is playable if it's a tokusatsu villain (a.k.a. man in rubbersuit, a.k.a. a power ranger villain)

Rodan for Brawl!

I really understand your point, but I firmly believe that if they really wanted to put X character in they would take the time implement them.

We may have to agree to disagree. I don't believe this at all.

If this had been the case, Ganondorf would have had his own fully unique moveset. For two games the choice was made to base his moveset off of Captain Falcon's... which in itself seems to be taken from Kamen Rider instead of being based on anything Captain Falcon actually does.

Now that I think about it, maybe Captain was supposed to be Mach Rider at some point. I mean, Fox sort of has a made-up moveset too, but at least shooting and reflecting shots were things Star Fox does in his games. He just used his Arwing to do it.

I'll bite.

Sakurai's comments about customization on the 3DS version and the Wii U being the area suggests to me that he'll be splitting up the focus on single-player and multiplayer content. They'll probably share most of the gameplay, but the Wii U will be where competitive players will want to play. Assuming no one decides to hook up their 3DS, that is. Custom characters will almost certainly be banned.

Having a fair amount of single-player content isn't new to Brawl, either. Melee had event stages, all-star mode, adventure mode, classic mode, so on. I think the 3DS will focus on that sort of thing, and customization fits into that - stickers were probably a precursor to the customization we'll see in SSB4.

Now, Sakurai's mentioned Monster Hunter in the Kid Icarus Uprising Iwata Asks. That's a predominantly portable game that lives and dies on its multiplayer. Kid Icarus Uprising didn't neglect multiplayer even though it was on a portable system. Obviously, he knows that multiplayer and portables don't have to be separate. But Monster Hunter focuses on cooperative multiplayer and Kid Icarus' main multiplayer mode has a competitive side to it (Light vs Dark).

I suspect that the Wii U version will be a more traditional Smash title, while the 3DS version will be built to allow people to team up and play through the game content. Maybe not "team up" in the strictest sense, but play through the game with friends through local multiplayer. Coop events, perhaps a coop Superspace Emissary.

GamerSoul

Those are getting even better somehow lol.

L Thammy, i'll agree to disagree. Idk, I think having having less to work with does not necessarily mean it is more time consuming or a negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom