• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cool thing to have when you were in high school

Status
Not open for further replies.
For girls, yoga pants.

I remember being a freshman and only 1 single girl wore them all the time. By my senior year almost every single girl, every skinny girl for sure, wore them.

Good times seeing those asses shake. Still a good time in college.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
THE NO LIFE KING said:
GUSXk.gif
this reply made me laugh and then fart.

I remember this was big for girls. Wearing sweatpants with rolled up (usually only one leg) legs. They also had words on the butt, like "juicy" or "slut"

fl0qH.jpg

During summer everyone would come to school wearing flip-flops and boxers and shit. What a lazy generation.

ghostofsparta said:
For girls, yoga pants.

I remember being a freshman and only 1 single girl wore them all the time. By my senior year almost every single girl, every skinny girl for sure, wore them.

Good times seeing those asses shake. Still a good time in college.

It makes me sad that this trend didn't quite catch on till I got out of high school. Like I said, we had people wearing awful gray sweats. I started to see them in college, but now I'm out of that too.

I went to a private school full of rich kids so... everyone (except me and some other classmates) had the latest gadgets, cars, etc.

god my parents wasted so much money on that damn place...

Henchmen21 said:
I totally remember everyone having pagers (or atleast, the wannabe gangsta's) when I was in high school.

Really? What am I thinking of then.

Aviators.

I remember the pants that said things on the butt too. I think our women's volleyball team had a volleyball on each cheek.

Solid color skinny jeans. Like, electric blue or bright green. Jackets with cassette tapes printed on them.

When I was in Junior High, kids used to wear nomura pants with all the chains and zippers and crap on them. It's on my list of worst clothing trends of my generation

weekend_warrior said:
I remember this was big for girls. Wearing sweatpants with rolled up (usually only one leg) legs. They also had words on the butt, like "juicy" or "slut"

fl0qH.jpg

During summer everyone would come to school wearing flip-flops and boxers and shit. What a lazy generation.
I would have jumped out of the nearest window if that was all the ass I had to work with in HS.

A system and a body kit for your car. Cell phones with color screens or flip phones, or a phone that had both if you were lucky enough.

Magnus

I guess... a car? An iPod. A newer cell phone (for the 2001-3 era, like a RAZR or some shit).

Honestly though, clothes. Fuck, that was what determined your status. Was so ridiculous.

Pollux

PigSpeakers said:
I think the first iPhones and touches had come out back in my senior year, so probably those. Very few people had them, but they were generally regarded as the richest and coolest kids.

Can't remember anything else. Chicks were really into this style of dress where they would wear north face jackets, gray sweatpants, and ugg boots. Looked awful, but they all did it. They also did this weird thing with their hair with like, a bump on the front of it.

....did we go to the same high school?

Fusebox

Banned
shadyspace said:
How do you people remember this shit?

Coz in my day there was an extremely limited amount of cool shit one could own and take to school. Now there's zillions of gadgets I would have loved back in the day.

GavinGT

Banned
Back when I was in high school, you weren't cool unless you wore your backpack like this:

backpacksling.jpg

Now, in college, literally nobody would do that.

GavinGT said:
Back when I was in high school, you weren't cool unless you wore your backpack like this:

[MG]http://0.tqn.com/d/walking/1/5/5/T/2/backpacksling.jpg[/IMG]

Now, in college, literally nobody would do that.

In my highschool you weren't cool if you wore a backpack. period.

Ezalc

In my highschool you were cool if you could play foursquare like a boss. This was only for dudes though.

Ezalc said:
In my highschool you were cool if you could play foursquare like a boss. This was only for dudes though.

People played hackey sack my first year of college. Don't remember if they did it in high school though. They got really good at it too.

Ezalc

PigSpeakers said:
People played hackey sack my first year of college. Don't remember if they did it in high school though. They got really good at it too.

Foursquare was pretty ridiculous at my school. They had it set up right in the corner of the gym so people would bounce the ball of the wall, dive for it and go a bunch of ridiculous shit.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It was more of a middle school thing, but for some reason ****ing Palm Pilots were all the rage. I didn't even live in a wealthy area. Sure, it was suburbia; but a fair majority of students lived in duplexes/apartments, and most got dropped off from a typical Civic/Grand Am/Camry/etc.

It's just SOOOOO odd to me. It's like I lived in this little bubble that was "on to" cell phones and apps LONG before it was cool.

A buddy of mine got an m105 in like 6th grade, and you could change the channels on the TV with it. We had way too much fun with that back in the day - screwing with the television set when the teacher was trying to show a movie.

I ended up starting with an m105 as well:

palm_m105.jpg

About a year later I saved up for an m505:

img_m505.jpg

Then Sony starting coming out with their media-centric Clie' line. Shit was so cash. But then, out of nowhere, Palm upped their game and released possibly my most favorite gadget of my childhood; the Palm Tungsten T|3:

1192.jpg

My grandpa actually surprised me with that bad boy in the 8th grade for Christmas. $400. Most expensive gift I think I've ever got. Lol; it's a business class organizer, and my friends and I all had to have one. I had a 64MB SD card, and I was so cool because I had music, movies, and like 4 games on it.... that I downloaded from 56k.

totowhoa

Banned
Smokes, weed, a nice car, I dunno. Diablo was popular then. I can't recall any stupid fashion trends in particular for some reason..

dafinezt

Banned
PigSpeakers said:
Can't remember anything else. Chicks were really into this style of dress where they would wear north face jackets, gray sweatpants, and ugg boots. Looked awful, but they all did it. They also did this weird thing with their hair with like, a bump on the front of it.

I saw this in high school and I'm seeing even more of it in college. I live in western Washington as well.

Also: You had to have your car keys around your neck on a lanyard for everybody to see, or twirl them around like a helicopter blade incessantly

jbueno

Well I was in high school from 2001-2004 and as it has been mentioned cars, car audio systems, and cellphones featuring color screens were the stuff that made you look cool. Not me though, I was the freaky guy with a videogame obsession and still am. Damn proud of it too.

mollipen

iPods with color screens that can play video? When I was in high school, we were still making mix tapes for each other, and iPods had yet to exist.

...god I feel old. :(

whitehawk

Banned
shidoshi said:
iPods with color screens that can play video? When I was in high school, we were still making mix tapes for each other, and iPods had yet to exist.

...god I feel old. :(
It's okay. I'll get off your lawn now sir.

andymcc

Banned
ipods came out my senior year of high school. one retard in my homeroom asked me if mine was a calculator.

i don't know what was really cool unanimously. i didn't really have a clique that i hung out with.

dafinezt said:
I saw this in high school and I'm seeing even more of it in college. I live in western Washington as well.

Also: You had to have your car keys around your neck on a lanyard for everybody to see, or twirl them around like a helicopter blade incessantly

I remember seeing the key thing. Pajamas were always a thing too. Cutesy pink pajamas mostly. And kid's backpacks. Like, Dora and Spongebob.

This guy I knew used to have his wallet on a chain with the chain hanging out of his pocket. I don't think that was popular ever

zmoney said:
nah, cincinnati ohio same time period though. But the trends were the same.

Is it cold in Ohio? I think the north face/columbia jacket thing is big in colder environments. The boots definitely since I heard they were warm and comfortable.

Kalnos

Banned
Gila said:
Northface bomber jackets

but these kids just thought they were cool, in reality they were fags

This guy has been a member forever and barely posts, and decides to suicide out of the blue? I don't get it.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom