• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Age Anime Thread....List them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Just wondering what GAF thinks are the best golden age anime shows they've watched(70's to early 00's) After coming out of the current anime thread dissapointed by the fact that anime is still pretty much dead I want to try and watch as many old school anime shows that I couldn't watch or didn't know about in the past. What are your favourite golden age shows and why? What show would you say is a must watch for any anime fan? Discuss what old school shows sucked and were amazing, do it GAF!

I'll start off

Samurai Champloo(technically not golden age, but it's so good I'm including it anyway)
smokeallot-albums-samurai-champloo-picture48224-windmill-mugen.jpg

Dragonball
Dragonball.jpg

Cowboy Bebop
cowboy_bebop_lineup_7846.jpg

......Naruto, early episodes only

I'm kinda interested in seeing The Mysterious Cities of Gold

MCoG_DVD_Cover_low_res.jpg

It's on netflix & one of the most constantly well user-reviewed shows on the site.

People make it seem like it was a classic hidden gem from the 80's.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Underappreciated classics:

Yoiko
iWpbfvAEbgAlg.jpg

Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito
iEDnZ4AbSXw2x.jpg

Earth Maiden Arjuna
iU8bqnTxZgUpM.jpg

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Y2k3g.jpg

Watched a couple of episodes when I was younger but it wasn't until recently that I sat down and watched the whole thing. Took 3 days straight to get through 112 episodes. Loved every minute of it.

Jex

I think the OP wants shows that are actually good. So we have to look back to the era of hand drawn animation to find stuff like Mad Bull 34. Interestingly this is based on a manga by the guy who made the renowned Lone Wolf And Cub series.

It's actually really accessible as well, because it's set in New York city and centres around a couple of wise cracking detectives. It's got a really remarkable dub as well.

maddestbull.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Some more classics from the "golden age" that more people need to watch here.

ShyrjGbHUyQyb6n.jpg

mad-bull-34.png.jpg

____PERSO__00001.jpg

Takao

Banned
Usually Golden Ages refers to a decade with a predominant style.

OP lists 2 decades, and 3 shows will incredibly varying styles...

Onemic

Jexhius said:
What about the golden 70's?

that too!

hosannainexcelsis said:
Just because Guilty Crown sucks doesn't mean anime is dead. Stop only seeing what you want to see. Check out this thread for reference.

I wrote anime off as dead before the guilty crown post, I just wanted to know about the current status of the industry and based on the replies I got, it hasn't changed. That link you posted wasn't among the replies I got form the anime thread, so of course I was going to continue thinking the genre dead.(and lets be real here, it pretty much is compared to how it was back in the day)

Thanks for the link though, I'll check some of those shows out.

Fireye

If I had to pick 5 shows that I'd be forced to watch over and over again, I think they'd be these:
Revolutionary Girl Utena ('97)
Martian Successor Nadesico ('96)
Escaflowne ('96)
Macross ('82)
His and Her Circumstances ('98)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
onemic said:
Just wondering what GAF thinks are the best golden age anime shows they've watched(70's to early 00's)
...so...almost the entire history of TV anime, minus the last 5 years?

Onemic

Lafiel said:
Some more classics from the "golden age" that more people need to watch here.

ShyrjGbHUyQyb6n.jpg

mad-bull-34.png.jpg

____PERSO__00001.jpg

Mad bull and Garzeys look really interesting, will check em out. What's garzeys wing about?

onemic said:
Mad bull and Garzeys look really interesting, will check em out. What's garzeys wing about?

It cannot be described; only experienced. Be sure to watch the English dub; it's pretty much the best anime dub ever created.

Jhriad

Cowboy Bebop

cowboy-bebop-3.jpg

I'd throw Planetes in there but that's way too new to be listed. Heck, Bebop is probably too new.

Jex

ElTopo said:
What Garzey's Wing is about ? I think many have asked themselves that question after watching it.
It's the story from the creator of one of the greatest anime creators of all time, Tomino. It's the work that he's always wanted to tell: The Byson Well Saga. It needs no introduction or explanation.

Coxy

Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Captain Harlock
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
08th MS Team
G Gundam
Blue Gender
Planetes
The Complete and Utter Bastard!!
VOTOMS
Layzner
Outlaw Star
Excel Saga

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
No images (silly iPad here) but am I really going to be first to post...

Macross Plus!

and also

Neon Genesis Evangelion(!?)

.....wow!
They're classics, so they don't need the mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom