• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim sells over 3.5 million in 48 hours; Ships 7 million

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Superb fantasy role-playing game Skyrim sold over 3.5 million units in 48 hours, Bethesda has revealed.

Bethesda expects Skyrim launch units to generate over $500 million in global retail sales. By comparison, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 made $400 million in one day, and sold over 6.5 million units in the US and UK alone.

Bethesda shipped seven million units of Skyrim for launch. More than 50 per cent of launch units were sold in the first 48 hours, which means Skyrim sold over 3.5 million units in that period.

Skyrim set a record for concurrent players on Steam - a whopping 280,000 played in the first 24 hours of release.

"We are grateful for the fans' response to Skyrim," said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media.

"Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Game Studios have crafted a very special game. Anticipation forSkyrim has surpassed any game in our company's history, and we are pleased that sales and reviews have reflected the quality and hours of amazing gameplay it provides."

"Without a doubt, this has been our most ambitious project ever," said Todd Howard, Game Director on Skyrim. "After over three years of development, we're finally excited to get it into everyone's hands."
Well deserved.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-16-skyrim-sells-over-3-5-million-in-48-hours

Amneisac

Absolutely well deserved. This has exceeded every expectation I had for it. Not only is it my game of the year so far, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

stuminus3

Does this include what they sold via Steam? Seems to be talking about retail. The concurrent users on Steam thing is still blowing my mind.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCK YEAH! Well deserved!

The_Monk

They will get one more copy for the PS3 but first I need to know that the problems are gone regarding game saves and others.

I could also pick this for 360 but PS3 is my main system...

Mrbob

Bethesda trumpeting the concurrent Steam player list is ironic, considering what Todd Howard said about PC being less than 10 percent of sales.

Now fix the UI to the "under 10 percent" who bought the game.

Funny thing is, we extrapolate the Steam concurrent user list with the actual sell through, the PC share is probably around 30 to 40 percent right now. 280K concurrent will net you over one million in sales at the very least, if not much more.

Bumhead

Banned
Haunted said:
Solid sell-through rate.

Really curious about the PC vs 360 vs PS3 split.

According to Eurogamers chart roundup on Monday, PC boxed retail sales accounted for 15% of the total sales for Skyrim in the UK.

I don't have any relevant examples to compare that to but usually the PC retail percentage hovers around the 2% or 3% mark. 15% was noticeably larger than normal for Skyrim.

Factor in the unaccounted for digital distribution sales and the record breaking number of players on Steam this week and I think it's safe to say Skyrim has done pretty damn well on PC so far.

Akia

Holiday 2011 Sold to Consumer #s Only

MW3: 6.5 Million in 24 hours
Battlefield 3: 5 Million first week
Skyrim: 3.5 Million in 48 hours
FIFA 12: 3.2 Million first week
Gears of War 3: 3 Million first week
Batman Arkham City: 2.2 Million first week

Derrick01

Banned
These numbers were pretty much expected when it reached 280k at once on Steam. That alone has to be around a million sold, it more than doubled the old Steam record.

Outstanding numbers. Carrying proudly the single player war banner across the multiplayer dominated battlefield. I still haven't picked up my copy and the wait is killing me.

Grisby

The_Darkest_Red said:
I finally caved and picked this up last night for my much neglected 360.
It's all I'm gonna be doing for a month on that thing. Halo is even getting left untouched.

I'm all, "I want to read this book. No, I want go over here and then, I want to make some leather even though I wear heavy armor." All why wishing I could install the game though, Beth needs to get working on that texture situation.

Emitan

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I think huge single player games still have a future...
Best part about this news. Even if you don't like Elder Scrolls, it's still a win for single player gamers. I can't wait to pick this game up in January.

JudgeN

Good sales but all this money and they couldn't fix the large save file bug on the PS3 that has been known about in 3 different games? Kind of sad when you think about it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
PR
ZeniMax® Media Inc today announced that Bethesda Softworks’® award-winning title, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, has enjoyed an enthusiastic reception by gamers across the globe. After shipping seven million units of Skyrim for the Xbox 360®video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and PC, Skyrim’s launch units are expected to generate more than $500 million in global retail sales.

With tens of thousands of fans lining up at retail outlets at midnight on 11/11/11 to purchase the game, Skyrim continued to record strong sales following its release. More than 50% of launch units were sold in the first 48 hours and Bethesda Softworks has been receiving large reorders from major retailers in the North America, and across Europe and Australia. Online activity has been notable, with Steam reporting that in the first 24 hours of its release, Skyrim set a record with over 280,000 concurrent players, far outdistancing all other titles.

“We are grateful for the fans’ response to Skyrim,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. “Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Game Studios have crafted a very special game. Anticipation for Skyrim has surpassed any game in our company’s history, and we are pleased that sales and reviews have reflected the quality and hours of amazing gameplay it provides.”

The eagerly-awaited title has garnered more than 50 perfect review scores, earning praise from the some of the industry’s most influential and respected critics including: USA Today, G4TV, GameSpy, Wired, Eurogamer, Destructoid, GamePro, Official Xbox Magazine, Joystiq, The Guardian, and GamesRadar. G4TV describes Skyrim as “one of the greatest games ever made” and Eurogamer was one of many outlets to call it a “masterpiece.”

“Without a doubt, this has been our most ambitious project ever,” said Todd Howard, Game Director on Skyrim. “After over three years of development, we’re finally excited to get it into everyone’s hands.”

Developed by Bethesda Game Studios®, the makers of the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, and 2008 Game of the Year, Fallout® 3, Skyrim reimagines and revolutionizes the open-world fantasy epic, bringing to life a complete virtual world for you to explore any way you choose.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
derder said:
Could be 3.500001 million if they(or the community) would fix the pc version.

The community will fix it. It's unrealistic to expect drastic overhauls in less than a week.

Edit: Really, all I desire at this time is a mod that makes the UI less obstructive and more intuitive.

LiK said:
So many people hate dragons. :(

I bought the game purely because of the inclusion of dragons.

I am serious, by the way - this is the first Elder Scroll games I've played, so I had no desire for the game beyond dragons.

I think they should do like with what Blizz is doing with Starcraft 2. Now they got a great graphics technology. time to hire some triple A writers and make some full game stand alone expansions. Perhaps make an expansion that goes back to morrowind? I would pay 60 again if its as packed as skyrim is.

LosDaddie

Banned
Great sales. I'm still debating whether to get the game, or not. 100hrs of gameplay kinda scares me.

Akia said:

I thought Uncharted 3 sold 3M+?

derder

JaseC said:
The community will fix it. It's unrealistic to expect drastic overhauls in less than a week.
I just want them to see my sale after they fix the issue that's preventing me from playing it.

Road

goodfella said:
I read somewhere it was ~600% more than Oblivion.

Edit:
There's a reason why a word on your post is censored.

LosDaddie said:
I thought Uncharted 3 sold 3M+?
We don't have sold to consumers numbers for U3. Only 3.8 million shipped.

BF3 - 10 million shipped
Skyrim - 7 million shipped
Batman:AC - 4.6 million shipped
U3 - 3.8 million shipped

ced

Good job Bethesda, well deserved this time ;)

Hope this means we get another awesome single player ES.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I want this game, but I don't want to be a zombie from lack of sleep for several weeks. Such a horrible dilemma.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Akia said:

Your turn, Zelda.

marcurius

Billychu said:
Best part about this news. Even if you don't like Elder Scrolls, it's still a win for single player gamers. I can't wait to pick this game up in January.
I doubt I'll ever play Skyrim as I thought Oblivion was quite a turd, to put it lightly, but at least there's this I guess.

This is great news, good on them! The streamlining and changes that they've made worked out for the best and hopefully this game will do well throughout the year.

Top Bottom