• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Series Surpasses 13 Million Units

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Presumably this is shipped given Sony's other sales statements, but impressive none the less.

There's a lot more at the link about marketing Uncharted 3 if you're interested.

IndustryGamers said:
IndustryGamers spoke with Sony's Asad Quizilbash, product marketing manager for Uncharted 3, about the marketing efforts involved with the game.

IndustryGamers: What were your initial sales numbers for the first week? Did this exceed Uncharted 2, and by how much? How did this map to your goals for the game?

Asad Quizilbash: As we reported, day one we shipped over 3.8 Million copies of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Week one sales were double that of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, far exceeding our expectations.
IndustryGamers said:
The next big campaign beat was the Public Beta. Although a traditional tool used by development to kick the tires on multiplayer, we see the Public Beta as an important marketing tool to get the game in the hands of our core gaming community. We supported the Beta with a combination of digital advertising and retail point of purchase. We ended up with over 1.6 Million players – far exceeding our expectations.
IndustryGamers said:
IG: Is there a special PS3 Uncharted 3 edition bundle? What about a collector's edition?

AQ: We have shipped a $99.99 Special Edition of Uncharted 3 that includes a Collectors Edition Steelbook, replica Nathan Drake belt buckle and ring, and a Nathan Drake statuette created by Sideshow. It's only a limited quantity and is almost sold-out.

We also shipped an Uncharted 3 PS3 Bundle for $299.99. You get the 320GB PS3, and a free copy of Uncharted 3. Sales of this bundle are exceeding ours and retailer's expectations, showing that Uncharted 3 is bringing new consumers to the PS3 platform.

IG: What's the lifetime sales of the Uncharted series?

AQ: Sold over 13 Million units globally.

IG: Is a sequel being planned?

AQ: We can't talk about any future title releases. We will continue to make games that our consumers love experiencing.
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/uncharted-3-charting-successful-marketing/

Globox_82

Banned
this is cool, but I hope ND works on new IP for PS4, and then come back to U series. I don't want them to get stuck in one and the same franchise.
On top of that, there is a risk that people get tired of Uncharted.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well deserved. But what's the breakdown?

4.0+5.0+3.8?

Uncharted 2's last reported figures were 4.9 million by SCEJ right before Uncharted 3's launch.

I'm unsure what Uncharted 1's final figures were, especially since it was such a bundle heavy game.

If Uncharted 3's launch shipment was 3.8 million though, I would expect that it's up from there even if they haven't sold through that shipment in each region.

Averon

Asad Quizilbash: As we reported, day one we shipped over 3.8 Million copies of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Week one sales were double that of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, far exceeding our expectations.

Very nice for UC3. And to think some people thought UC3 wouldn't outsell UC2.

nib95

Banned
this is cool, but I hope ND works on new IP for PS4, and then come back to U series. I don't want them to get stuck in one and the same franchise.

No way. Best new franchise this entire gen. All they have to do is mix up the next one a bit. Bit a bit more brave/bold. Imo maybe get some more sandboxy or open elements in there (based on critical criticisms) or something just to add a fresh coat to it.

That's alot of exceeded expectations.

Congradulations Naughty Dog! Well deserved and I hope you guys go on to sell many more.

No way. Best new franchise this entire gen. All they have to do is mix up the next one a bit. Bit a bit more brave/bold. Imo maybe get some more sandboxy or open elements in there (based on critical criticisms) or something just to add a fresh coat to it.

I still think that it's possible that they may create a new series going into next gen and then alternate between it and Uncharted. That way they don't get into a grind of just making one series over a long period of time.

Double 1st week sales didn't really reflect in PAL charts. Let's see what NPD brings us. Then again, we haven't seen PRs about insane NA shipments/sales either.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Uncharted is like SCEA 2nd IP that actually sells ( with God of War), so I think ND will be pretty much Uncharted-only studio for the rest of their lives ( or till it stop selling) just like PD and GT.

ZeroRay

So if double the sales holds up in the USA, then we have over >1million in sales since UC2 was over 500k for the first month NPD IIRC.

Good numbers right there. Means the Uncharted series won't go away (as if.... ).

But hopefully they'll give us a new I.P. as their next release and then return back to Drake.

FreeMufasa

They should completely remove the gun play. Seems like it was shoehorned in in the first place.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
One of the best Sony franchises along the God of War.

in a better wold we will have Folklore 4:Modern Ghostfare by now.

Anyway GoW and Uncharted are Both SCEA, and SCEJ got GT that sells like mad, now SCEE don't have any seller IP at all at the moment, last gen they got Singstar but it don't sell anymore now even in europe, SCEE need to drop their old series and make new IPs.

klee123

Anyway GoW and Uncharted are Both SCEA, and SCEJ got GT that sells like mad, now SCEE don't have any seller IP at all at the moment, last gen they got Singstar but it don't sell anymore now even in europe, SCEE need to drop their old series and make new IPs.

If the rumors are true with Ueda leaving, SCEJ should consider getting a new dev house.

Gravity Daze looks promising, but they need more than that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

LittleBigPlanet?

LBP sells well. So SCEE is redeemed.

Globox_82

Banned
I still think that it's possible that they may create a new series going into next gen and then alternate between it and Uncharted. That way they don't get into a grind of just making one series over a long period of time.

that would be the winning formula imo

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Unless they have two teams and thus are alternating years, I can't imagine Sony being happy with a four year gap between Uncharted games.

Globox_82

Banned
If the rumors are true with Ueda leaving, SCEJ should consider getting a new dev house.

Gravity Daze is being made by Team Siren. Already Sony studio.

SCEJ is a joke. SCEA is by far the most productive. SCEE is so so.

Globox_82

Banned
Unless they have two teams and thus are alternating years, I can't imagine Sony being happy with a four year gap between Uncharted games.

Please. If they can wait for GT games, then so can Uncharted have 3-4 year dev cycle. I would rather having true sequel after 4 years then some 0.5 sequel

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Ueda games don't sell that well anyway,But yeah SCEJ also need to expand since now without Ueda team Ico is over and their 2nd studio ( SCE Japan Studio) is useless as a zombie ( sorry Toyama/team Siren fans..all three of you).

SCEE need to do what SCEA early this gen did and have balls to try to make new IPs( they have the studios but they keep them doing nothing) it's a risk that they should take asap.

LittleBigPlanet?

not visceral enough.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Please. If they can wait for GT games, then so can Uncharted have 3-4 year dev cycle. I would rather having true sequel after 4 years then some 0.5 sequel

Well, what's your read on the situation?

Resistance:
2006: Resistance: Fall of Man
2008: Resistance 2
2009: Resistance: Retribution
2011: Resistance 3
2012: Resistance: Burning Skies

God of War:
2005: God of War
2007: God of War 2
2007: God of War: Betrayal
2008: God of War: Chains Of Olympus
2010: God of War 3
2010: God of War: Ghost Of Sparta

SOCOM:
2002: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
2003: SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs
2005: SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo
2006: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault, SOCOM:_U.S._Navy_SEALs_Fireteam_Bravo_2
2007: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike
2008: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
2010: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3
2011: SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

LittleBigPlanet:
2008: LittleBigPlanet
2009: LittleBigPlanet PSP
2011: LittleBigPlanet 2
2012: LittleBigPlanet Vita

Ratchet & Clank:
2002: Ratchet & Clank
2003: Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
2004: Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
2005: Ratchet: Deadlocked
2007: Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction
2008: Secret Agent Clank, Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest For Booty
2009: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time
2011: Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

Uncharted:
2007: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2011: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2012: Uncharted: Golden Abyss

I can keep going if you like.

slider

I wonder if this'll mean Uncharted will be continued? I know some folk want ND to take a break from the franchise.

Globox_82

Banned
Well, what's your read on the situation?

Resistance:
2009: Resistance: Retribution
2012: Resistance: Burning Skies

God of War:
2007: God of War: Betrayal
2008: God of War: Chains Of Olympus
2010: God of War: Ghost Of Sparta

SOCOM:
2005: SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo
2006: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault, SOCOM:_U.S._Navy_SEALs_Fireteam_Bravo_2
2007: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike
2010: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3

LittleBigPlanet:
2009: LittleBigPlanet PSP
2012: LittleBigPlanet Vita

Ratchet & Clank:
2007: Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction
2008: Secret Agent Clank, Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest For Booty

Uncharted:
2012: Uncharted: Golden Abyss

I can keep going if you like.

please don't count different platforms, it's stupid. (console vs handheld)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
please don't count different platforms, it's stupid. (console vs handheld)

Okay, we can still do this.

Resistance:

God of War:

SOCOM:
2005: SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs
2006: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault

LittleBigPlanet:

Ratchet & Clank:
2007: Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction

Uncharted:

Motorstorm:
2006: Motorstorm
2008: Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
2011: Motorstorm: Apocalypse

Infamous:
2009: Infamous
2011: Infamous 2

Gran Turismo:
1997: Gran Turismo
1999: Gran Turismo 2
2001: Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
2003: Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
2005: Gran Turismo 4
2007: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
2010: Gran Turismo 5

You will notice a distinct lack of four year gaps.

GT5 Prologue launched on 2008 and GT5 on 2010 so... there isn't a 4 year gap there either if we count titles that way.

False edit: Hah, saw your edit. Either way Prologue was 2007 only in Japan, 2008 for the rest of the world.

Huff

Banned
ND already has two teams, right? But only one actually makes games, the other is alll tech right?

Whats to stop them from expanding?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ND already has two teams, right? But only one actually makes games, the other is alll tech right?

Whats to stop them from expanding?

Nothing as far as I can tell.

Actually, their current job openings are quite interesting.

Naughty Dog said:
Administration Department
| Production Coordinator

Art Department
| Senior Concept Artist
| Art Director
| Character Artist
| Character TD/Rigger
| Maya Generalist/Technical Artist
| Technical Director/Lighting Artist
| Environment Texture Artist

Design Department
| Game Designer

Programming Department
| Network Programmer
| Audio Programmer
| Graphics Programmer
| Gameplay Programmer
| Software Research Engineer

Interactive Department
| Web Designer/Graphic Artist

ICE Department
| Graphics Tools Programmer - ICE
| Graphics Programmer - ICE
Source: http://www.naughtydog.com/work/

Given that they already have two art directors, the third is likely for a new full game team (of which they currently only have one, since the other is more of a general Sony support team that helps make the PlayStation EDGE libraries.).

Plus, this is a lot of job openings in general for a team that just shipped a game.

Globox_82

Banned
Okay, we can still do this.

Resistance:

God of War:

SOCOM:
2005: SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs
2006: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault

LittleBigPlanet:

Ratchet & Clank:
2007: Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction

Uncharted:

Motorstorm:
2006: Motorstorm
2008: Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
2011: Motorstorm: Apocalypse

Infamous:
2009: Infamous
2011: Infamous 2

Gran Turismo:
1997: Gran Turismo
1999: Gran Turismo 2
2001: Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
2003: Gran Turismo 4 Prologue
2005: Gran Turismo 4
2007: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
2010: Gran Turismo 5

well I said 3 to 4 years.
I only expressed what I would like to see happen, sadly I know that won't be the case.

Top Bottom