• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: "The Quest for Dark Souls PC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

After some posts on a Namco-Bandai board by an administrator/employee that Dark Souls PC could theoretically happen if demand was high enough, Rock Paper Shotgun put up an article about it:

The Quest for Dark Souls on PC said:
Quite a few people have sent me this link to a forum post in which a Namco employee suggests that has to be “demand” for a PC version of acclaimed console RPG Dark Souls, if it is to show up on the one true format. It seems to me that Namco decided there wasn’t demand, of course, because the game has so far only turned up on the TV boxes. That strikes me as a little strange, especially when you consider that historically-speaking PC gamers are VERY interested in making armoured men hit fantasy enemies with swords and sharp sticks. Underpin that with unforgiving RPG mechanics and that DOES sound like our kind of game. But I suppose there are only thirty million or so Steam accounts, and hundreds of millions of better-than-360-spec PCs worldwide… What possible market could there be for such a game on the age old Windows machine? Eh? Oh, and Namco, while you are converting Dark Souls to PC you might as well do Enslaved too? I mean it can’t possibly hurt. Thanksmuch!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/the-quest-for-dark-souls-on-pc/

Now of course, we've heard that plenty of time for every game ever (usually with little to no success) and I have no idea if this administrator has any influence within the company at all (probably not). But it never hurts to try, so let's show Namco-Bandai that we want Dark Souls on PC. Higher-resolution, better framerate, perhaps better online infrastructure and fan mods would surely improve the quality of the game.

Enthusiasm!

There is a petition for it here: http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

Don

After some posts on a Namco-Bandai board by an administrator/employee that Dark Souls PC could theoretically happen if demand was high enough, Rock Paper Shotgun put up an article about it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/the-quest-for-dark-souls-on-pc/

Now of course, we've heard that plenty of time for every game ever (usually with little to no success)and I have no idea whether this administrator has any influence within the company at all (probably not). But it never hurts to try, so let's show Namco-Bandai that we want Dark Souls (and its predecessor) on PC. Higher-resolution, better framerate, perhaps better online infrastructure and fan mods would surely improve the quality of the game.

Enthusiasm!

Wouldn't that be up to Sony?

set it up as a pre-order for the game with a limit. The limit is what it would take for the port to be profitable.

When they hit the limit all money would be non refundable and they use it to make the game. We get the game, and so does everyone else.

GABDEG

People already hack the hell out of the game on consoles, getting hacks under control on PC would probably be a nightmare.

shuri

Banned
People already hack the hell out of the game on consoles, getting hacks under control on PC would probably be a nightmare.
exactly, there would be no point unless there's some serious anti-hacking system in the game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
exactly, there would be no point unless there's some serious anti-hacking system in the game.
That's dumb. Bring the game regardless. You say it's hacked to hell on consoles and people still love it so, yeah, bring it to more people so they can love it too, even with such a minor downside (minor as evident by the popularity of games like Diablo II on PC)... A lot of the game is fun solo after all I'm sure... Or with friends... Unless you can't play with friends and block outside interventions. So hey, add that feature for PC. Not that anti-cheating to a degree with Steam or whatever is unlikely.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It would be a hacked mess of cheating. Would be cool to play the co-op mod with no invasions and direct connect to friend.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I've been saying this since demon's souls came out. "Why is this not on PC?" I would jizz my pants if they made a double pack of Demon/Dark souls and put it on steam...and it ran on OS X.

gdt

I tried to register to comment on the RPS article, wtf is going on with the captcha over there? I have to line it up the image perfect! Tried 3 times, get a green check, but then says I entered an incorrect security response when I enter Gordan Freeman.

.....spelled Gordon wrong :/.

mxgt

Banned
I prefer the online functionality of Xbox live thank you very much.

Are you a real person?

Also as a mainly PC gamer Dark Souls is my GOTY which I feel is a huge accomplishment. It's an amazing game and would be perfect on PC

Defuser

Come to think of it. With the help of mods,you might even play through blight town without dropping in fps.

Orayn

Sadly not atm.
In 10 years when you can perfectly emulate a 360 or ps3.

You know From Software likely has the lion's share of what would be needed for a PC version, right? That's kind of what they used to make the game, so it makes sense that they'd have a functional Windows version for testing purposes.

No. Fuck you and your begging campaigns, Japanese publishers.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiissss

I don't know why, but "BEG US TO GRACE YOUR COUNTRY/PLATFORM OF CHOICE WITH OUR GAME" infuriates me more than any other shitty game publisher practice, most of which are empirically worse.

ntropy

I prefer the online functionality of Xbox live thank you very much.
mj-laughing.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
You know From Software likely has the lion's share of what would be needed for a PC version, right? That's kind of what they used to make the game, so it makes sense that they'd have a functional Windows version for testing purposes.

Not really.

I mean, you use a Mac to write an iPhone game but that doesn't mean you also have a Mac version of the game.

... and I'm pretty sure a lot of Japanese development is done in Linux?

GABDEG

What hacks?

People are maxed out at level 1 and thus able to invade low-level players and kill them pretty much instantly. You can also transfer good gear from a high level character to a level 1 character to mess with low-level players.

mxgt

Banned
People are maxed out at level 1 and thus able to invade low-level players and kill them pretty much instantly. You can also transfer good gear from a high level character to a level 1 character to mess with low-level players.

The latter is a game bug

The former is not hacking, you can kill the four kings at level 1 to get the item to invade. You can also get plenty of good gear at level 1 because of the open nature of the game.

Orayn

Not really.

I mean, you use a Mac to write an iPhone game but that doesn't mean you also have a Mac version of the game.

... and I'm pretty sure a lot of Japanese development is done in Linux?

Not a great argument since the iPhone/iOS SDK has an emulator built into it.
Also, I saw Windows machines on the From Software studio profile video.

wFYhE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom