• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: "The Quest for Dark Souls PC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GABDEG

The latter is a game bug

The former is not hacking, you can kill the four kings at level 1 to get the item to invade. You can also get plenty of good gear at level 1 because of the open nature of the game.

People can raise all of their stats to 99 and keep their SL1 through hacking.

People are maxed out at level 1 and thus able to invade low-level players and kill them pretty much instantly. You can also transfer good gear from a high level character to a level 1 character to mess with low-level players.

The transfer "glitch" doesn't seem like a big deal to me since you can legitimately get a lot of high level gear at the start anyway. And you would still need to level up your stats to use the heavy stuff too.

People can raise all of their stats to 99 and keep their SL1 through hacking.
I'm guessing this only works on the 360?

Whattt?

Crazy. I thought LI was one of the best areas of the game!
It's the blinding lava and the 234897 dinos in your way. And that shithead of a boss. I'm totally going to cheese that guy on my NG+ playthrough. He deserves it.

Whattt?

Crazy. I thought LI was one of the best areas of the game!

do you recreationally stare into the sun with a telescope?

Dark Souls on PC would be kickass. I'd definitely rebuy and replay it. But if we're bringing up console only games that'd be great on PC, I'd take Vanquish over anything else.

Orayn

Just a note: Dark Souls runs on Sony's multiplatform Phyre Engine, which has been on PC before with GRiD and the entire Dirt series. Porting would be a problem if it used some proprietary PS3-only engine that From developed from scratch, but Phyre is fairly mainstream middleware.

Thanks for the heads up, registered and posted in their forum.

It just takes a couple of minutes of your time, guys. Probably it won't mean shit to them, but at least no one will be able to say that we didn't try!

gatti-man

This would be amazing. If it can be done it should be. This is the type of game that would have long legs on the pc platform. Can see it doing huge numbers during steam sales.

It would be exactly the same? Game mechanics don't magically change on PC.

No it wouldnt. And yes game mechanics can be better on PC when said game mechanics on consoles are hindered by lag, low fps, and muddy visuals/low res. Dead Space is AMAZING on PC less so on consoles as one excellent example.

A stable framerate would improve the game and I'm not sure that's arguable. The image quality would also likely be improved, although the significance of that is more subjective.

Except the original argument came about on the comment about Xbox's online functionality and how it would be superior on the PC.

Stupid comment followed by stupid counter points to something that doesn't matter. More petitioning for a PC version, less silly comparisons.

GABDEG

No it wouldnt. And yes game mechanics can be better on PC when said game mechanics on consoles are hindered by lag, low fps, and muddy visuals/low res. Dead Space is AMAZING on PC less so on consoles as one excellent example.

A stable framerate would improve the game and I'm not sure that's arguable. The image quality would also likely be improved, although the significance of that is more subjective.

My comment was in regards to the online platform Dark Souls is using, not the overall tech.

Omikaru

Never got around to picking this up, mostly because I game on consoles so infrequently that I doubt I'd do it justice.

But I will pre-purchase it on PC the second it ever becomes available.

Orayn

Nailed it.

If they want to make money release it, if they don't(which seems to be the new Japanese gaming strategy) don't.

It's not stupid to wonder whether or not people would even buy something in sufficient numbers to make it a profitable project. Porting and releasing games isn't free.

Except the original argument came about on the comment about Xbox's online functionality and how it would be superior on the PC.

Stupid comment followed by stupid counter points to something that doesn't matter. More petitioning for a PC version, less silly comparisons.
I wasn't addressing the original argument, I was addressing the post that I addressed. It seems on-topic enough to me because it's a discussion about how a PC version of Dark Souls would be better than the console versions.

My comment was in regards to the online platform Dark Souls is using, not the overall tech.
Ah, okay, I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

The Souls games at 60FPS would be a dream. Would definitely rebuy.

It's not stupid to wonder whether or not people would even buy something in sufficient numbers to make it a profitable project. Porting and releasing games isn't free.

Considering the moderate budget of From Software games, I bet if those games made it to PC they would be more successful than they think.

As much as I want this to happen (and I got a two week ban port begging for it so I reallllllllly want it) I doubt it would sell enough to justify the port costs.

Yamibito

Even though I've already got it, I'm all for this. Pc only guys can finally play the best RPG of last year instead of that other game.

Even though I've already got it, I'm all for this. Pc only guys can finally play the best RPG of last year instead of that other game.

It's more of an ARPG right? Everything is real-time with more action than a typical RPG but still lots of RPG elements. That's the best kinda RPG

I have no idea what you are talking about since the best RPG of the last year is still only available on PC.

But sure if they release a PC version of Dark Souls I'll buy it.

ymmv

Banned
Just a note: Dark Souls runs on Sony's multiplatform Phyre Engine, which has been on PC before with GRiD and the entire Dirt series. Porting would be a problem if it used some proprietary PS3-only engine that From developed from scratch, but Phyre is fairly mainstream middleware.

It's already multi-platform. If it can run on the PS3 and the 360 using a multiplatform engine, it can run on the PC (at 60FPS in 1080p or higher).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
set it up as a pre-order for the game with a limit. The limit is what it would take for the port to be profitable.

When they hit the limit all money would be non refundable and they use it to make the game. We get the game, and so does everyone else.

I'd be fine with this system.

But my cynicism tells me they would set the number at an unrealistic and unattainable ceiling on purpose.

SparkTR

The game runs like shit, and in 5 years it will be just that much harder to enjoy due to technology progression (try to play GoldenEye or Banjo Tooie on an N64). I want them to release it on PC for that reason alone, so when technology advances Dark Souls won't be left behind and remembered as a great game that "hasn't aged well".

Yamibito

It's more of an ARPG right? Everything is real-time with more action than a typical RPG but still lots of RPG elements. That's the best kinda RPG

Well yeah but a lot more thought goes into the combat than most ARPG.

Dark Souls is the best RPG this gen.

The game runs like shit, and in 5 years it will be just that much harder to enjoy due to technology progression (try to play Golden Eye or Banjo Tooie on an N64). I want them to release it on PC for that reason alone, so when technology advances Dark Souls won't be left behind and remembered as a great game that "hasn't aged well".

I think the other elements of the game will transcend the FPS issues, but yeah, a PC version that's the "definitive" one would be great.

The FPS really is the only huge glaring flaw in this otherwise flawless game.

Dascu

As much as I want this to happen (and I got a two week ban port begging for it so I reallllllllly want it) I doubt it would sell enough to justify the port costs.

As mentioned, it runs on the PhyreEngine which should make porting to PC not terribly difficult. Plus, FromSoftware has some experience with PC development (Ninja Blade). And given their game output, I'd be shocked if there aren't some big PC game fans at the studio. Sadly, it depends on Scamco to make the call.

The Souls games are action games first and RPG second. It is possible to get through all scenarios in the games through personal skill alone.

TGMIII

Would be nice to see but I won't hold my breath. I've not played much of dark souls due to the frame rate alone it's pretty horrible.

Releasing on steam at a budget price would net them a shit load of sales though.

Dizzy-4U

The game runs like shit, and in 5 years it will be just that much harder to enjoy due to technology progression (try to play Golden Eye or Banjo Tooie on an N64). I want them to release it on PC for that reason alone, so when technology advances Dark Souls won't be left behind and remembered as a great game that "hasn't aged well".
Don't forget the death of the server eventually.

Orayn

As mentioned, it runs on the PhyreEngine which should make porting to PC not terribly difficult. Plus, FromSoftware has some experience with PC development (Ninja Blade). And given their game output, I'd be shocked if there aren't some big PC game fans at the studio. Sadly, it depends on Scamco to make the call.

A digital-only release would make perfect sense, really.

see5harp

The question is what would NOT be better on PC?

Considering the system they have in place to block party chat and the fact that you can't even invite a specific person into your game, any benefits that would have come from a 360 version were sorta absent for me. The online was just piss poor in general for the 360 at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom