• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: "The Quest for Dark Souls PC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice, but I'd rather see a full Mount & Blade 'swords 'n sorcery' spinoff or just another stab at the first person RPG with an Arx Fatalis followup from Arkane. The only thing I think worth taking from Dark Souls and bringing to PCs is some of the rigidity of the combat, by forcing more mechanical depth into the game, and the baseline quality of animation. I'd just rather have a new game built for the platform's strengths that takes some lessons from From's games than just another version of the same game.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I never used the ring either in all my trips to Blighttown, I don't even know where it is. The problem is the frame rate. Trying to hit 4 mosquitos and dodge the flames of those bug things at 10FPS.. it's just not fun. If the frame rate was solid I'd like blighttown a lot more, it's very well designed and it's pretty big. The swamp in Demons is more treacherous. For one, god forbid you press circle in the swamp. You won't roll.. you'll just go even slower. And the giant depraved ones with the clubs are WAY more of a threat than the big boulder creatures in Blighttown's swamp.
Yeah they should've had Giant versions of those rabid Hollows in Blighttown. You can backstab big barbarians so they're no big deal. Giant Depraved Ones can't be backstabbed though. The way FROM fucked with your perspective in DeS 5-1/2 and made you unsure if what you were looking at was a regular or Giant Depraved One was pure genius.

Xater

From doing a PC game? lulz

This is like the ultimate port begging thread or something? Just seems stupid to me.

wutwutwut

I prefer 50 myself. 60 is too soap-opera ish. I cap all my games at 50. For movies I prefer motion plus because it adds frames that were lost in the digital conversion. Pretty awesome tech my LG has, called interpretation.

Do you mean interpolation?

Orayn

From doing a PC game? lulz

This is like the ultimate port begging thread or something? Just seems stupid to me.

1. It's on Phyre Engine, which has been ported to PC quite successfully in the past.
2. From put Ninja Blade on PC because it was a joint venture with Microsoft Game Studios, meaning it's not entirely foreign to them.
3. This thread is based on a statement from a Namco-Bandai rep saying that they're open to the idea. Reading the OP would help.

TheExodu5

Banned
I prefer 50 myself. 60 is too soap-opera ish. I cap all my games at 50. For movies I prefer motion plus because it adds frames that were lost in the digital conversion. Pretty awesome tech my LG has, called interpretation.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Truant

Dude, my TV has an awesome processor more powerful than the 360, it knows how to do interpolation. My favorite shows like Family Guy and Big Bang Theory look so much better with Motion Plus. Guy at Best Buy also said it was better, pretty sure he knows what's up.

see5harp

I hear you can do 1 on 1 chat on XBL just fine. Idk, playing with strangers and communicating with the very limited options the game provides seems like the intentional way to experience online in this game. It's not trying to be the co-op of any other game. But anyway, if there was a PC version, there would probably be a ton of mods to suit everyone's preference (not that I'm expecting this to happen)

Yea you can private chat but that shit is dumb. You can't even chat with other friends while playing single player. I mean I didn't get but one invader for the first 20 hours I played and when I'm griding I can't even jump into a party to say hello to some friends? I played Demon's Souls as a coop game using skype to chat. I challenge anyone who would claim that's the "wrong" way to play it.

Xater

1. It's on Phyre Engine, which has been ported to PC quite successfully in the past.
2. From put Ninja Blade on PC because it was a joint venture with Microsoft Game Studios, meaning it's not entirely foreign to them.
3. This thread is based on a statement from a Namco-Bandai rep saying that they're open to the idea. Reading the OP would help.

I know that at it still seems totally unlikely to me. Should we now also open up threads so we can beg for Diablo 3 on consoles? I mean they said it was possible right?

Derrick01

Banned
Well I hope they decide soon so I can trade in my ps3 version while it's still somewhat valuable.

One of the biggest complaints I have with the game is the awful framerate. I can't even break a group of barrels without it chopping and I haven't even made it to the sub 10 fps area that's infamous by now.

King Boo

before the game came out, i emailed them asking if it will out for the pc. of course the guy said no, but i replied back saying something like "alright i'll get it if it ever comes out on the pc" and gave a few reasons why i rather play it on the computer. so i did my part. up to you guys now.

NIGHT-

I know that at it still seems totally unlikely to me. Should we now also open up threads so we can beg for Diablo 3 on consoles? I mean they said it was possible right?

I thought it was hinted at coming to consoles a while back?

TheExodu5

Banned
I get to use a 120hz monitor for work every once in a while. And 60FPS seems like I am playing a sluggish console game in comparison.

I miss 85Hz CRT gaming.

For fun, if the monitor allows variable refresh rate settings in between 60Hz and 120Hz, play around with them. You'll probably notice that you can't really tell the difference beyond 70-85Hz or so (at least, that was the case with CRT monitors). I believe it's called the "flicker-fusion threshold".

mxgt

Banned

Pretty sure I've seen threads about D3 console news

SparkTR

Because if you don't do that it'll still come to consoles. Plus fans of DS seem to want this on PC if only to fix the FPS issues (myself included). Diablo 3 on consoles won't fix anything.

Zzoram

People are maxed out at level 1 and thus able to invade low-level players and kill them pretty much instantly. You can also transfer good gear from a high level character to a level 1 character to mess with low-level players.

Only occurs in the 360 version because they didn't lock the save files for that version so people are editing the saves on their PCs.

I won't bother simply because it'll never happen. Even if it's ported it will result in poor sales due to "piracy", and not because the game was released on console 2 years earlier (by the time it's released).

I won't bother simply because it'll never happen. Even if it's ported it will result in poor sales due to "piracy", and not because the game was released on console 2 years earlier (by the time it's released).
YOU DEFEATED.

Come on, buddy; you have to at least try.

Would be cool. But I can't remember any of these 'let us know you want X game or X version' stuff work. So this probably won't either :(

mxgt

Banned
That wasn't my point though. You know what? Forget it....

what is your point? this isn't port begging. the developer said directly that it's a possibility. it's not like we're begging without any glint of hope whatsoever like RDR

Xater

what is your point? this isn't port begging. the developer said directly that it's a possibility. it's not like we're begging without any glint of hope whatsoever like RDR

But you are. It's just some forum admin at Namco bandai that posted this comment. That anyone thinks this has any merit is baffling!

The article now even has this update:

UPDATE: Namco have said that this is nothing more than a “rumor” stemming from the link (obviously) and offer no comment on whether they are likely to produce a PC version of the game.

Iztli

But you are. It's just some forum admin at Namco bandai that posted this comment. That anyone thinks this has any merit is baffling!

The article now even has this update:

That Namco admin did say this though...

Honestly, I think this is an interesting request and that it deserves to be pushed.
Namco have no position for now on this topic: PC versions are considered for many games but as PC is rarely the lead platform for the games released by the company, making PC version very often depends on signs that could come from users or from market globally.

Up to you.
Shoupinou

Xater

That Namco admin did say this though...

That is something any forum admin would say. It like some EA admin saying on their boards: "Hey guys, maybe you should do a petition for Road Rage! Something might come out of it, you never know!"

Haunted

That is something any forum admin would say. It like some EA admin saying on their boards: "Hey guys, maybe you should do a petition for Road Rage! Something might come out of it, you never know!"
holy shit, Road Rage!?

I'm making the steam group brb.

No offense, but that's a strange train of thought. I'm not even sure how to respond.

It isn't strange at all. Porting DS to PC, opening up the game to that kind of platform, would completely betray the design philosophy that made Demon's Souls and Dark Souls so successful in the first place. They don't want people finding ways to diminish the experience they spent so much time meticulously crafting, simply because some people can't stand not having AA, 1080p resolution, or 60fps in every game they play. The game plays fine as it is.

The designers don't want people finding ways to quick-save and quick-load every time they want a do-over because they fucked up somewhere. It would completely destroy the sense of risk/reward that separates this game from virtually everything else out there.

They don't want to compromise the solemn, mysterious, isolated world/atmosphere they've created by making it easy for people to talk and play with people they know. It breaks the immersion they want players to have (Journey is going to do the same thing this year). Working together to overcome challenges in that world with some other unknown warrior is the experience they want people to have. Opening up Skype in the background and exploiting the server/network/IP addresses to find your friend is easily done on the PC.

Most importantly though, they don't want to make it easy for people to dig through the entirety of their code because they take an extraordinary amount of pride in the unique experience they've created. They don't want to see someone running around with a Homer Simpson skin in Anor Londo. They don't want people replacing the the models for the dragons outside of New Londo with giant crabs. They don't want people tearing down their environments and replacing textures, lighting, etc. It's a slap in the face to a team like this.

Better frame rates in Blight Town and Lost Izalith, while convenient, are not worth compromising the entire experience, not for me, and definitely not for the dev team. Opening the game up for people would allow them to make the game they want to make, rather than the experience the designers intended. It's a waste of time. If i were a designer on THAT team, that's the last thing I'd want to see.

If you've played the game through from start to finish, it should be blatantly obvious that the the kind of people responsible for it would never do anything to make it easier for random people to tear it apart.

Aeana

Would be nice, but I'd rather see a full Mount & Blade 'swords 'n sorcery' spinoff or just another stab at the first person RPG with an Arx Fatalis followup from Arkane. The only thing I think worth taking from Dark Souls and bringing to PCs is some of the rigidity of the combat, by forcing more mechanical depth into the game, and the baseline quality of animation. I'd just rather have a new game built for the platform's strengths that takes some lessons from From's games than just another version of the same game.

I'd like a version of the game that doesn't make me want to vomit due to framerate inconsistencies at certain parts of the game. (._. )

Dascu

I fully understand your point, but hey, it's better to combine (and contain) any port requests to a single thread. That way no Dark Souls threads may be derailed by it, while still allowing an outlet for these (understandable) requests. And if these petitions and what-not eventually lead to something (like with Project Rainfall), then that would be great, no? Better to make a concentrated effort and use what that forum administrator said as jumping point, than to never try at all.

Orayn

And unless I'm mistaken, Namco ported Dark Souls to 360 as the publisher. How is it compared to the PS3 version anyway?

Fine, it has all the same upsides and downsides. I think metal surfaces look a tiny bit shinier on 360 due to differences in shaders and whatnot?

I fully understand your point, but hey, it's better to combine (and contain) any port requests to a single thread. That way no Dark Souls threads may be derailed by it, while still allowing an outlet for these (understandable) requests. And if these petitions and what-not eventually lead to something (like with Project Rainfall), then that would be great, no? Better to make a concentrated effort and use what that forum administrator said as jumping point, than to never try at all.

Yay for not-quite-port-begging!

Most importantly though, they don't want to make it easy for people to dig through the entirety of their code because they take an extraordinary amount of pride in the unique experience they've created. They don't want to see someone running around with a Homer Simpson skin in Anor Londo. They don't want people replacing the the models for the dragons outside of New Londo with giant crabs. They don't want people tearing down their environments and replacing textures, lighting, etc. It's a slap in the face to a team like this.
Source? Would like to read where they've stated all of this. Old interviews, etc.

Aselith

The day that Dark Souls gets released on PC is the day that I buy it at full retail $60 price with no questions asked and you can quote it. Also Armored Core or King's Field or anything from From. (And Tekken)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom