• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Announces Watchmen Sequel/Prequel Thing: Before Watchmen, Coming This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02/01/dc-entertainment-officially-announces-“before-watchmen”/
This summer, DC Entertainment will publish all-new stories expanding on the acclaimed WATCHMEN universe. As highly anticipated as they are controversial, the seven inter-connected prequel mini-series will build on the foundation of the original WATCHMEN, the bestselling graphic novel of all time. BEFORE WATCHMEN will be the collective banner for all seven titles, from DC Comics.

“It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original.”

Stepping up to the challenge is a group of the comic book industry’s most iconoclastic writers and artists – including Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS), Lee Bermejo (JOKER), Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL), Darwyn Cooke (JUSTICE LEAGUE: NEW FRONTIER), John Higgins (WATCHMEN), Adam Hughes (CATWOMAN), J.G. Jones (FINAL CRISIS), Andy Kubert (FLASHPOINT), Joe Kubert (SGT. ROCK), Jae Lee (BATMAN: JEKYLL AND HYDE), J. Michael Straczynski (SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE) and Len Wein (SWAMP THING).

BEFORE WATCHMEN includes:

RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner
Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called CURSE OF THE CRIMSON CORSAIR, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a CRIMSON CORSAIR story by Wein and Higgins.

“The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC’s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,” said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.

“Comic books are perhaps the largest and longest running form of collaborative fiction,” said DiDio and Lee. “Collaborative storytelling is what keeps these fictional universes current and relevant.”

QLoJe.jpg

f1y98.jpg

gBIj9.jpg

q6u0a.jpg

auvmq.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
Ozymandias will be the worst one, followed by Rorschach.

Whoa whoa whoa. Neither of those is penned by JMS. That's good sign #1. Good sign #2 is it's Azzarello writing Rorschach, and he's pretty fucking awesome. And Len Wein is good too. At least he didn't write fucking Grounded.

DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes

(4 issues) Artist: Adam Hughes

4 issues, Adam Hughes

DOUBLE.
MOTHER.
FUCKER.

Are you kidding me?

Are you (Warner Brothers) really more dedicated to shitting on Alan Moore than you are to getting an A List Wonder Woman book out?

This is nothing short of a personal attack. What did they have to pay that pokey f*ck to crap out these issues when he cannot get motivated to finish All Star Wonder Woman?! >:O

This is four issues of All Star Wonder Woman that I could have had.

But noooo! William Moulton Marston isn't alive to corporate troll.

God damn it. >:|

marrec

Banned
It's not like they're taking old versions of Watchmen off the shelf, or busting into your house and burning your copies. I for one can't wait to see the complete trainwreck this might turn into.

Oh also I want to see Alan Moore explode in a frothy rage when the prequel movies get made.

ElNarez

Banned
DOUBLE.
MOTHER.
FUCKER.

Are you kidding me?

Are you (Warner Brothers) really more dedicated to shitting on Alan Moore than you are to getting an A List Wonder Woman book out?

Well, they already have an A-List WW book out. It's called "Wonder Woman". It's by Azzarello and Chiang and it's pretty ace.

Would this be similar to taking a movie like Spaceballs and making a prequel that's a serious action/adventure?

I mean, Watchmen takes great care to avoid telling the superhero stories that take place before it.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Im not much of a comic book reader, but i enjoy comics like watchman (the one´s that tell one story and have an actual end) - i would much rather have a new unique comic/story than this.

Whoa whoa whoa. Neither of those is penned by JMS. That's good sign #1. Good sign #2 is it's Azzarello writing Rorschach, and he's pretty fucking awesome. And Len Wein is good too. At least he didn't write fucking Grounded.
Doesn't matter. Rorschach is fully revealed as a character. There's nothing more there. Best case scenario, it will be an echo. Worst case, it will be a Rorschach-esque karate fight book.

Ozymandias will be the most awful just because he's Ozymandias. It's like trying to do an interesting story about Hitler. There's no humanity there to examine.

*shrug*

But tell me something... why didn't they use the "blood on smiley face pin" version of that godawful logo on these covers?

And :lol @ Adam Hughes on Dr. Manhattan. Good luck getting that one to deadline unless he's secretly been working on it for years and calling it "All Star Wonder Woman."

Blader

*shrug*

But tell me something... why didn't they use the "blood on smiley face pin" version of that godawful logo on these covers?

And :lol @ Adam Hughes on Dr. Manhattan. Good luck getting that one to deadline unless he's secretly been working on it for years and calling it "All Star Wonder Woman."

I think they have been working on it for years, actually. And I think this is the reason Hughes had to relegate All-Star WW to his spare time. :lol

I don't understand how the hair works in the image. Some strands at the end aren't connected to the main body.

Artistic License.

Another example of artistic license is the way in which stylized images of an object (for instance in a painting or an animated movie) are different from their real life counterparts, but are still intended to be interpreted by the viewer as representing the same thing. This can mean the omission of details, or the simplification of shapes and colour shades, even to the point that the image is nothing more than a pictogram. It can also mean the addition of non-existing details, or exaggeration of shapes and colours, as in fantasy art or a caricature.

Certain stylizations have become fixed conventions in art; an agreement between artist and viewer that is understood and undebated. A striking example is how in simple cartoon drawings monochromatic white parts on a dark coloured surface are immediately recognized by most viewers to represent the reflection of light on a smooth or wet surface.

I thought you were going to school for this shit or something. :\

Slime

Banned
Pretty much all those people working on it are super awesome so I'm sure they'll do their best to be respectful of Moore's work, but still. What the fuck. This is completely unnecessary.

Not supporting this.

DiscoJon

Banned
QLoJe.jpg

Holy crap awesome! Big sucker for Darwyn Cooke, New Frontier is one of my favorites.

f1y98.jpg

Uhh, wait... What?

It could be worse, could be three Doctor Manhattans behind Silk Spectre.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So the creative teams on this are really impressive. So impressive that I'm wondering why the fuck such high profile creators are wasting their time on this shit when they could all be making something brand new and awesome with their time instead. Such a waste.

gerg

Artistic License.

I thought you were going to school for this shit or something. :\

No, I don't think the piece would suffer much from a more realistic depiction of the hair. We've had this discussion - sure, artistic license is great. I do love Mucha, after all. But it ought not be an excuse to be lazy.

Having said the above, the image doesn't particularly suffer either from how the hair is currently depicted, but, on the other other hand, it isn't particularly interesting in the first place.

And I'm currently studying to become a costume designer, although I'm also interested in fashion, and I like most art and design disciplines in general.

Slime

Banned
So the creative teams on this are really impressive. So impressive that I'm wondering why the fuck such high profile creators are wasting their time on this shit when they could all be making something brand new and awesome with their time instead. Such a waste.

Pretty much this. Complete waste of talent/time.

Tizoc

Sooooo anyone else wonder if Alan Moore will dislike this because he expects it to not be as grim and dark as Watchmen?

I think they have been working on it for years, actually. And I think this is the reason Hughes had to relegate All-Star WW to his spare time. :lol
Interviews are beginning to pop up so we'll find out shortly; JMS says Didio approached him about this project a couple of years ago (so Didio's probably been thinking of it since the movie), and Azzarello says Didio offered him the gig last summer.

Expanding on my *shrug* here's what I honestly expect to happen. Tons of initial backlash and hollow outrage from the fan community, which gives way to many convincing themselves to order the books out of curiosity, or to follow a creative team, or because they simply can't help themselves. Sales will be "event comic" high initially, then peter out as the months pass. DC will declare the project a success and look for new ways to milk. And in a few years time nobody will remember these stories beyond being a footnote in the story of Alan Moore's Watchmen.

EDIT: Oh, and if this does turn into sales success for DC, expect Marvel to start looking at actually doing something with those Marvelman/Miracleman books they're holding on to.

The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC&#8217;s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,&#8221; said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.
go fuck a duck Dave, i heard it's good pay.

jgkspsx

dc jerks said:
“It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee.
No, it's your responsibility as publishers to leave them the fuck alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom