• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Announces Watchmen Sequel/Prequel Thing: Before Watchmen, Coming This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Then there's the argument that the characters do not need any more development or fleshing out. But if that's your stance, then why should any superhero comic exist?

Oh, I'm perfectly fine with all the rehashed IPs being put to rest, the mainstream industry collapsing, and independent original works of every genre being self-published through digital distribution channels.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i dont mind this one bit. get it out of the way now, so when this shit is done, people will stop talking about what could have been. watchmen holdovers are fucking annoying.

i_didn__t_ask_for_this__by_mcandre-d49k2zx.png

Slayven

DC should have went balls to the walls and used the charlton characters and called an elseworld of the Watchmanverse.

No, no, opinions and all that. Some people think Scorsese is a hack, too. Weird world out there, with a lot of uh, interesting opinions.

Difference is Scorcese's medium is marketed to a broader audience. Miller gets by writing for prepubescent boys who go "COOL BLOOD AND GUTS AND CURSING AND FUCK YEAH!"

You're comparing The Goddamn Misogynist Miller to Scorsese? Have you read most of Miller's work? He has way more misses than hits.

The man is one of the great creators in comic book history. Elektra Assassin alone SHITS on 90% of the current comic industry's entire profile. He hasn't wrote/drawn anything good in years, and don't get him started on his personal politics, but the man is one of the greatest of all time.

But hey, uh, opinions or something?

The man is one of the great creators in comic book history. Elektra Assassin alone SHITS on 90% of the current comic industry's entire profile. He hasn't wrote/drawn anything good in years, and don't get him started on his personal politics, but the man is one of the greatest of all time.

Comparing criticism of Miller to criticism of Scorcese is just ludicrous though. Miller has a long history of absolute crap, that far outweighs his other work that is considered "great," and even then his successes are far less universally praised than Scorcese's successes.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

most shitty writers have something that stands out of the pack. like millar and red son.

most shitty writers have something that stands out of the pack. like millar and red son.

Right, but he also has Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil(the initial run, Elektra Returns, Elektra Assassin, Born Again, Man Without Fear), Ronin, Sin City, 300, Hard Boiled, etc. Its not like he's living off that one classic story, its several of them.

Right, but he also has Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil(the initial run, Elektra Returns, Elektra Assassin, Born Again, Man Without Fear), Ronin, Sin City, 300, Hard Boiled, etc. Its not like he's living off that one classic story, its several of them.

Many of those aren't considered "great" works. And notice they all still cater to the gore-loving fanboys. I'd even argue that Dark Knight Returns has aged VERY poorly over the years. It may have been "edgy" at the time, but now a lot of it just comes off as laughable now that we have seen how much better a serious tone can be done without resorting to horrible over the top dialogue.

Yup, Alan baby. Just like you were dependent on the work of the Charleton Comics creators that made your main characters.

This isn't a great argument. It's like saying that Star Wars is just Flash Gordon with a different coat of paint, or Lord of the Rings is just Norse Mythology and Arthurian legend smushed together. Watchmen, like Star Wars and LoTR, reinterpreted story ideas that were already in existence to create something new and distinct from the original work. This is how all new ideas flow into the culture. People borrow from what already exists and in exchange bring society new concepts and ideas. That's very different from a derivative work that simply expands on an existing story. Watchmen does not fit into the continuity of the Charleston characters. Whatever similarities exist, the Watchmen characters are distinctly different and inhabit an entirely different world that is relevant to their story. These spin-off comics are simply retreading old material.

If you want to argue the Moore's other work on Swamp Thing or even The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen robs him of the moral high ground, that's fine. But Watchmen was a new and distinct contribution to pop culture whereas these prequels are simply an expansion of an old creation.

You mean the movie that released nearly three years ago and barely broke even? Yeah, real big wave they're riding there.

The Watchmen graphic novel sold like 900,000 copies the year the movie was released. The movie caused sales of the comic to explode.

I can't believe they actually did it. All this time, I thought it was just talk, and never expected anything to come of it.

Azzerello's involvement is enough to have me interested, and I'll probably end up reading it.

Freakin' crazy that it actually happened, though.

Why is everyone so shocked about this?

A) We have known about this coming for years. There have been rumors of a "Watchmen 2" since the movie was in development and there have been numerous leaks and hints for a good year now.

B) DC has been wanting to do this forever. I could be wrong but I think along time ago they even asked Moore and Gibbons if they would do a sequel and they declined.

C) The movie did good box office and DC doesn't really have any franchises that they can depend on other than Batman. Superman, Constantine, Hex, and Green Lantern all bombed and they have no idea what to do with wonder woman and justice league. DC has been under enormous pressure from their corporate masters who see Watchmen as there "Call of Duty" or "Avengers/Xmen" franchise

D) This is the same company that just 6 months ago threw all there fans and continuity under the bus, dropped everything and took their entire line of comics in a "different direction"

Satch

Banned
yeah i'm kinda curious as to why anybody would be surprised as well

like... this is what the mainstream comic industry does. it's their bread and butter

i mean they even took away superman's panties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom