• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ohio school shooting 2/27/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

[Updated 10:05 a.m. ET] Those wounded at Chardon High School in Ohio are students at another school in nearby Auburn, said Evan Erasmus, a student at Chardon. They had been waiting in the Chardon cafeteria for a bus to Auburn when they were shot, Erasmus said.

[Updated 9:53 a.m. ET] Four students were wounded when a gunman opened fire in the cafeteria of a suburban Cleveland high school just as the school day was beginning Monday, law enforcement officials said.

The suspected Chardon High School shooter - believed to be a student, according to a school official - was in custody, FBI Special Agent Scott Wilson told reporters.

Wilson declined to say how badly the injured students had been hurt.

"We just hope that they're OK," he said.

School administrators locked down schools in the city of Chardon, Ohio, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. and assured parents that all remaining students were safe.

Still, parents eager to retrieve their children hurried to school buildings, forming long lines as school officials checked identifications before releasing students. At one point, black-clad SWAT team members walked by parents waiting outside the middle school, enhancing what was a surreal scene for many.

"This stuff doesn't happen here at Chardon. Everybody's a little upset," said one parent who was preparing to pick up his daughter, a 10th-grader who had been evacuated to Maple Elementary School.

Despite initial reports that two people were involved, it appeared only one person was responsible for the shooting, Superintendent Joseph Bergant said.

"My understanding is there was one gunman," he said. Bergant said he believed the suspect is a student.

The shooting occurred around 7:40 a.m. just as school was getting started for the day, school board member Larry Reiter said. It happened inside the cafeteria, which is near the entrance to the school, he said.

It was unclear how the suspect was taken into custody.

School officials locked the high school down following the shooting.

One parent told CNN affilaite WKYC that her daughter had texted from a closet to tell her that there had been a shooting at the school, but that she was okay.

Chardon is a small city of about 5,100 people 30 miles east of Cleveland. About 1,150 students attend the high school, which is next to Chardon Middle School and across the street from Maple Elementary School.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/27/shooting-reported-at-ohio-high-school/?hpt=hp_t1

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
There was a thread posted on /b/ a couple of days ago about a guy saying he's gonna shoot up his school.

I wonder if it's related.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
CHEEZMO™;35520021 said:
There a thread posted on /b/ a couple of days ago about a guy saying he's gonna shoot up his school.

They were just saying that the suspect did put threats on the internet in the last week. I don't know if it is related with /b/.

smurfx

get some go again
CHEEZMO™;35520021 said:
There was a thread posted on /b/ a couple of days ago about a guy saying he's gonna shoot up his school.

you personally saw this thread or did you see a thread today from a few days ago saying he was going to shoot? because they always fake the dates when these type of shootings happen.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
They were just saying that the suspect did put threats on the internet in the last week. I don't know if it is related with /b/.

Well in the pics he posted he blurred out the school name.

If I saw a pic of the perps face then I could confirm. Also posed with his guns - any info on what he was using?

you personally saw this thread or did you see a thread today from a few days ago saying he was going to shoot? because they always fake the dates when these type of shootings happen.

Personally saw it. Was on Thursday.

Timestamped photos and everything.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
CHEEZMO™;35520077 said:
Well in the pics he posted he blurred out the school name.

If I saw a pic of the perps face then I could confirm. Also posed with his guns - any info on what he was using?
Not yet. I've been switching between CNN/Fox/MSNBC for the past hour and details are still vague.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Not yet. I've been switching between CNN/Fox/MSNBC for the past hour and details are still vague.

0B4x9.jpg
That was the guy.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Man, these things will never stop will they?

Black-Box

CHEEZMO™;35520130 said:
That was the guy.

I wonder how they are going to make a connection to video games, since there hasn't been a grand theft auto released in a long time. but dam, creepy how the hell does that happen

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

shuri

Banned
What a coward! I hope he gets put down like a dog in a fury of automatic assault rifles from a SWAT team.

edit: actually I wish for him life in prison as a criple.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
This has been on the news all morning here. Luckily it seems there are no casualties.

andycapps

Horrible. Glad they have the shooter in custody. Let's proceed to start blaming video games while leaving parents completely off the hook.

TheNatural

My Member!
Horrible. Glad they have the shooter in custody. Let's proceed to start blaming video games while leaving parents completely off the hook.

Really shouldn't be blaming anyone, except the person himself. Almost everyone in the world knows better than this shit.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It was being reported that a teacher stepped in and stopped the gunman earlier, haven't really heard much else about that though.

Been listening to this unfold all morning on a local radio show there. It seems like for the most part they broke the story from a phone call they had gotten around 7:30am.

Crazy this happened. There is a ton of uncomfirmed rumors going around right now though. The tweet rumor seems to be one that went out of control but no one has seen it.

It was being reported that a teacher stepped in and stopped the gunman earlier, haven't really heard much else about that though.

Yeah, I think it's been said a teacher tackled him.

It's also being said now one of the victims may have died. Very sad if true.

andycapps

Really shouldn't be blaming anyone, except the person himself. Almost everyone in the world knows better than this shit.

Right, I'm just saying that society and the media generally uses entertainment as a scapegoat than to see if there were some parental issues there. And the parents could be great parents, but have a kid that was just nuts. Who knows. Hearing that video games are already being brought up annoys me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom