• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ohio school shooting 2/27/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCNemesis

Been listening to this unfold all morning on a local radio show there. It seems like for the most part they broke the story from a phone call they had gotten around 7:30am.

Crazy this happened. There is a ton of uncomfirmed rumors going around right now though. The tweet rumor seems to be one that went out of control but no one has seen it.

Yeah, I think it's been said a teacher tackled him.

It's also being said now one of the victims may have died. Very sad if true.

Yep, I've been doing the same, had that station on and have been listening to this develop. Insane and very tragic. Thoughts go out to everyone involved.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
somewhere in florida Jack Thompson has a massive erection

Well, his erection is disbarred, so unless he can get another attorney on board with his dumbassedness, there won't be any videogame related lawsuits. Well, out of Florida anyways.

That's awful.

I wonder how they are going to make a connection to video games, since there hasn't been a grand theft auto released in a long time. but dam, creepy how the hell does that happen

Considering how Postal 2 is still the reason videogames should be banned, that ain't gonna stop them.

TheNatural

My Member!
Right, I'm just saying that society and the media generally uses entertainment as a scapegoat than to see if there were some parental issues there. And the parents could be great parents, but have a kid that was just nuts. Who knows. Hearing that video games are already being brought up annoys me.

True but someone always vilifies something. I bet if it turns out that this kid is some kind of religious satist nutjob who was "smiting sinners" or something plenty of people here would be doing the same thing with regards to "LOL religion so useless" as the media does with videogames. People love to make ignorant generalizing statements to attack a subject to fit their own agenda/schema of things.

Anybody know the name of a good local radio station there so I can follow what's going on?

There is 100.7 WMMS morning show who broke it. They are actually talking to a student who the shooter ran past in the school now. But the show is ending soon, so I don't know how their coverage will be after.

edit-this show actually has a replay channel on Iheartradio where they replay their show every day, so if you are interested on how it went down when it developed the shows name is Rovers morning glory on iheartradio.

andycapps

True but someone always vilifies something. I bet if it turns out that this kid is some kind of religious satist nutjob who was "smiting sinners" or something plenty of people here would be doing the same thing with regards to "LOL religion so useless" as the media does with videogames. People love to make ignorant generalizing statements to attack a subject to fit their own agenda/schema of things.

Definitely, I'm just glad that nobody has died (keeping my fingers crossed). Thankfully he was stopped before things turned fatal.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™;35520130 said:
That was the guy.

looks like a douchebag.

interesting that he couldn't even kill himself correctly though, hopefully they can study him a bit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Also it says 5 kids wounded now.

Also WAR dogs. Once again proving to be the superior animal on this earth:

[Udpated 11:13 a.m. ET] Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland says a K-9 unit tracked the shooting suspect, who was apprehended "some distance from the school," according to a report on CNN affiliate WJW-TV.

Steelrain

Also it says 5 kids wounded now.

Also WAR dogs. Once again proving to be the superior animal on this earth:

[Udpated 11:13 a.m. ET] Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland says a K-9 unit tracked the shooting suspect, who was apprehended "some distance from the school," according to a report on CNN affiliate WJW-TV.

Dogs are awesome.

Violet_0

Banned
so, if he was tackled by a teacher, then how did he get away?

also, what's up with the dog? (ah, tracked the suspect, nm)

TheNatural

My Member!
so, if he was tackled by a teacher, then how did he got away?

also, what's up with the dog?

Obviously a teacher-dog commando team apprehended the subject as he fired mortar rounds at the school and tried to get away through the woods.

At least thats how it happened in my imagination.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I just heard about the shooting. Do they have any idea yet why he did it?

We don't know yet. But a few students have said they do not believe it was random, and that they believe students were targeted. The students did not want to go into detail about it.

andthebeatgoeson

What a badass mowing down defenseless teens at lunch time.

Send him to the "rapiest" prison.

I know it's been commented on but damn, this is stupid. Just saw something else where a WWII vet was carjacked and people walked past him while he lay on the ground with a broken leg. To me, it's the same thought process. Not help others and look away. Throw the key away on those not deemed worthy. An eye for an eye leaves us all blind and we have to rethink this idea that prison and what happens in prison helps us in a significant way.

We end up paying for these 'people' to be put in prison and when we erroneously call for them to be locked up for a lifetime, it's similar to a social program that many seem to be against. Then we pay after we condoned rape for years as punishment when they come back out and can't readjust or perform another crime. Why is this not apparent to people?

BTW, I'm not advocating for no prison, just prison reform. We are paying anyway.

I live right down the way from the school. It's primarily a upper middle class school. No metal detectors and no on campus security except one sleepy old man.

Truly a sad day. This damn entitlement generation makes me want to vomit. Settle issues with your minds or your fists, not like this man.

Prayers out to the families involved.

Used to live in the Cleveland area and heard of Chardon because it's at the center of the Ohio Snow Belt. Tiny little town; can't imagine what they're going through right now.

Ilive1up

well, this is pretty shitty.

i'll hope for the best of those injured.

not to to start this up, but be prepared for the video games + kids + guns news coverage that will erupt from this.

andthebeatgoeson

well, this is pretty shitty.

i'll hope for the best of those injured.

not to to start this up, but be prepared for the video games + kids + guns news coverage that will erupt from this.

I guess it's an election year. Did that happen the last time?

But I wonder how much politicians will jump on it since games are big business now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom