• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack is working "on an IP that's our most requested" for the next generation.

We originally had some hints at this last year, and in a recent Gameindustry.biz article, Denis has once again emphasised that Silicon Knights' next project will be a familiar one:

"Bottom-line, and this is pretty public, we went through hell last generation by trying to adopt the Unreal Engine. It hurt us so dramatically that it affected us a lot, all the way through. You know, we're hoping to fix that this gen. We've suffered a lot, that's all I can say," Dyack continued.

Interestingly, he refers to last generation and "this gen" because Silicon Knights has already moved on to new consoles. Dyack's not ready to talk about the next-gen project, but given his comments on Eternal Darkness recently, we have a strong suspicion that Silicon Knights is actually working on the fan favorite.

"We're really excited and we're working on our next generation stuff. We're working on an IP that's our most requested and we're really excited about that."

"We're smaller, obviously," he said referring to layoffs, "and we're going back to our roots. I'm really looking forward to a point in time when we can talk about it, it's just not today. That's the current state of things. I think the state of our demise has been greatly exaggerated. Here we are. We're here."

There are three possibilities really:

(1) Legacy of Kain

This would be Silicon Knights' only franchise with longevity, with their original game spawning four sequels. The Kain IP was originally conceived by Silicon Knights, and following an epic court settlement with their then publisher Crystal Dynamics, became the total property of the latter. The franchise was merged into the development of the Crystal Dynamics third-person action adventure game known as "Shifter", producing the game now known as Soul Reaver.

The persistent rumours that Crystal Dynamics may be returning to the Legacy of Kain are interesting, and considering that Silicon Knights were commissioned to help produce Darksiders with Vigil, it is not impossible (though still unlikely) that Crystal could be engaging in some sort of joint development with Dyack and co.

This seems improbable. The bitter legal history between Silicon Knights and Crystal Dynamics does seem render such cooperation unlikely, and the rumours suggest that a remake of "Soul Reaver" is on the cards - a game that Silicon Knights originally fought against being made. Still, its worth mentioning as a possibility. As Silicon Knights first console game, this would certainly adhere to their comment about the studio going back to "its roots".

(2) Eternal Darkness

The most likely possibility. Eternal Darkness is a highly-regarded gem that appealed to a mature faction of Nintendo's audience. It was a smart, successful title, and gave the Gamecube's early lineup a little more diversity. The IP is now fully owned by Nintendo.

Given that Nintendo and Silicon Knights split on apparently amicable terms, future collaboration could certainly be possible. Nintendo may be eager for a distinct and dark WiiU launch title, and Dyack certainly needs a success to help Silicon Knights survive its recent traumas - revisiting and continuing this successful IP under the supervision of Nintendo might be the best way to achieve this success.

An Eternal Darkness sequel has been requested since the early days of the Gamecube, by fans and the media alike. With the impending arrival of the Wii U, this scenario would also adhere to his "next generation" comment.

(3) Too Human

Too Human does have its fans, and some of those may want a sequel. It is hard to imagine that, compared with the far more sizeable and vocal Eternal Darkess and Legacy of Kain fanbases, that this group would come close to fulfilling the "most requested" criteria.

The move would also make little sense for Silicon Knights. Given the recent difficulties experienced by the studio, making a sequel to a critically-lambasted game would not seem to be the best route to financial success. Overall, Two Human seems very unlikely.

Conclusion

They're working on Eternal Darkness 2 for the WiiU, aren't they?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Definitely want Eternal Darkness 2, but I'm also one of the few folks around here that liked Too Human and wants a sequel.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
oddduck pointed to a video interview in the Wii U speculation thread where Dyack stated, "Nintendo is still our silent partner, a lot of people don't know that", when he was being questioned about a hypothetical Eternal Darkness 2.

Juice

If Nintendo's not funding development, I doubt they'll be able to fund it o completion.

They'd be better off self-publishing to iOS or downloadable games to build capital.

guek

Banned
Eternal Darkness 2 would be 4.184 petajoules.

though I would be pretty concerned if SK were the developers. They'd have to really wow a the debut to convince me it's in good hands.

Actually I wouldn't mind if Eternal Darkness 2 was on iOS. It would probably be a lot cheaper for them than to make it a full fledged Durango/PS4 game. And it's not like the combat was all that great in ED, they could scale it back for touch controls.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"our most requested" as in "the one that gamers request SK return to", or "our most requested" as in "the external ip our staffers have most wanted to work on"?

Eternal Darkness seems to be one they've been nagged about. But that's also too good to be true. But at the same time the possibility of them butchering it is high.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Considering how big a deal Nintendo made of M-rated games for Wii U at last E3, who knows...

It's not that I'd want to put people out of work, but I honestly cannot wrap my head around the fact that Silicon Knights is still in business when so many other developers have folded in the past few years.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It has to be Eternal Darkness 2.

1. Nintendo just renewed the Eternal Darkness trademark. This was just after renewing the Luigi's Mansion trademark and announcing Luigi's Mansion 2.

2. Denis Dyack hinting they are working on a highly requested game of theirs. I doubt Microsoft or anyone is excited about funding Too Human 2. Crystal Dynamics and Silicon Knights are not in working terms for Blood Omen (I think). Only option is Nintendo and Silicon Knights working on Eternal Darkness 2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It has to be Eternal Darkness 2.

1. Nintendo just renewed the Eternal Darkness trademark. This was just after renewing the Luigi's Mansion trademark and announcing Luigi's Mansion 2.

2. Denis Dyack hinting they are working on a highly requested game of theirs. I doubt Microsoft or anyone is excited about funding Too Human 2. Crystal Dynamics and Silicon Knights are not in working terms for Blood Omen (I think). Only option is Nintendo and Silicon Knights working on Eternal Darkness 2.

The "next gen" bit lines up too. Unless you're a grade-A developer (and let's face it, SK isn't anymore) there's no way you have access to Sony and Microsoft's next consoles at this point (let alone last year, when Dyack started hinting.)

ED2 for Wii U is sounding like the most likely possibility, if anything actually comes of this (e.g., it isn't cancelled or SK goes under) and if Dyack is telling the truth, and I'm weary of both clauses.

Chao

I don't think I want to see another game by Silicon Knights, let alone Eternal Darkness 2. I liked the first a lot, but they will fuck it up, we all know that.

Natiko

Banned
I highly doubt it's Too Human, if only because saying they're 'going back to their roots' wouldn't make much sense in that context.

zroid

Banned
I love the idea of ED2, but man, I really have no confidence whatsoever that it will be a good game. I'm actually quite positive that it won't be. :(

Top Bottom