• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack is working "on an IP that's our most requested" for the next generation.

NinjaBoiX

I played Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness and Too Human...
I've done my time, thanks very much. That's a game you can keep right there.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Well given Micro's spree of closing studios no way they fund a money sink like Two Human 2.

Nintendo might actually be weird enough to let them.
Nintendo may be weird, but they're way too savvy when it comes to software partnerships to think that funding an exclusive Too Human Too would help the Wii U in any way.

Danielsan

I'm not gonna bother to ask why.
Both weren't very good and maybe he prefers action+loot over horror with gimmicks?

I'm not exactly going bonkers for an Eternal Darkness sequel, especially not one by Sillicon Knights. But at this point I'll take any attempt at horror that I can get. This generation has been really depressing when it comes to horror titles.

master15

While I think Eternal Darkness was an interesting concept and still do this day has some of the best voice-acting I've heard in a video game. The core mechanics of both the sanity and magic meters were broken and later chapters contained some fairly derivative puzzles and gameplay.

After recent debacle I can't say I have much faith in Dyack or Silicon Knights sadly.

Neiteio

Wow, that first post alone boggles the mind. Are we sure that's -really- Denis Dyack? I can't picture the guy who made the incredibly intelligent and subversive Eternal Darkness writing something so... dumb. I mean, asking people to take a stand "for" or "against" a game, like it's a political stance or something? And saying your own game will be one of the best that year? What happened to humility? What happened to not talking up your own stuff?

So strange. But maybe Denis is one of those eccentric artists with delusions about his own greatness. As long as he channels his talents making an ED2, though, he can be crazy as batshit and I don't mind.

shiv_

I'd rather Too Human 2 over Eternal Darkness 2 but I think we can pretty confident this is an Eternal Darkness sequel.

Agreed. I know it's not trendy on these forums to say positive things about Too Human; but it's a good game. Sorry bout it, I won't bother rehashing the same old arguments. People just couldn't look past the Dyack hate, and getting used to the camera/movement/attack controls for Too Human is something that takes a bit longer than the .5-3 hours journalists typically spend on a game before reviewing it. I'll be one happy dude if they ever do finish that trilogy.

Ridley327

Wow, that first post alone boggles the mind. Are we sure that's -really- Denis Dyack? I can't picture the guy who made the incredibly intelligent and subversive Eternal Darkness writing something so... dumb. I mean, asking people to take a stand "for" or "against" a game, like it's a political stance or something? And saying your own game will be one of the best that year? What happened to humility? What happened to not talking up your own stuff?

So strange. But maybe Denis is one of those eccentric artists with delusions about his own greatness. As long as he channels his talents making an ED2, though, he can be crazy as batshit and I don't mind.

Let's not give Dyack too much credit for Eternal Darkness; at the end of the day, it's Lovecraft for Beginners, with perhaps a smidgen less misanthropy.

BD1

Banned
Is Eternal Darkness even really popular outside of the enthusiasts? I know a lot of people like the game but it seems like a cult property.

Didn't the game sell extremely poorly?

Circumstances are a bit different now. The IP is a nice fit in Nintendo's portfolio now that they want to re-engage "core" gamers. It's got a bigger cult following these days. Factor in the overall strength of Nintendo today vs the GCN era.

Fact is, if Nintendo wants to be a console for everyone, they cant just hope third parties put their games on Wii U, they will need to publish games designed for the "core" player. It's a perfect storm really.

Let's not give Dyack too much credit for Eternal Darkness; at the end of the day, it's Lovecraft for Beginners, with perhaps a smidgen less misanthropy.

Yeah he pretty much ctrl+c, ctrl+v, the sourcecode from Lovecraft, changed some stuff and that's all he did...

Nevermind the amazing voice acting, sound direction and innovative gameplay mechanics not to forget great writing and memorable antagonist.

The Dyack hate on this board is at times just pathethic. I understand the reactions to the original fallout which were completely justified, but at this point it merely seems to be petty to hold a grudge.

Neiteio

I give him credit for making something that on the surface looks like Lovecraft but is at its core something wholly different -- and that "something" is solid.

Ridley327

Yeah he pretty much ctrl+c, ctrl+v, the sourcecode from Lovecraft, changed some stuff and that's all he did...

Nevermind the amazing voice acting, sound direction and innovative gameplay mechanics not to forget great writing and memorable antagonist.

The Dyack hate on this board is at times just pathethic. I understand the reactions to the original fallout which were completely justified, but at this point it merely seems to be petty to hold a grudge.

It's just a response to the claims of the great writing contained within ED.; no need to get so antsy about everything else.

Perhaps this is a good place to ask this question: Did people have a problem with the gameplay mechanics of Twin Snakes or is it just cool to hate on that game too? I remember people citing the redone voice work and outrageous cut scenes as to why the original was superior, but AFAIK that was 100% KojiPro's decision.

Personally, I played Twin Snakes from start to finish and thought it was a great game.

Ridley327

Perhaps this is a good place to ask this question: Did people have a problem with the gameplay mechanics of Twin Snakes or is it just cool to hate on that game too? I remember people citing the redone voice work and outrageous cut scenes as to why the original was superior, but AFAIK that was 100% KojiPro's decision.

Personally, I played Twin Snakes from start to finish and thought it was a great game.

I think a fair bit of the criticism lobbied against TTS does center around the gameplay mechanics, or more precisely how the new ones clash with the old ones. Ocelot gets brought up a lot, but a lot of the thrill in sneaking past guards is a bit diminished since you get the Mk 22 right away and can simply tranq them from far away distances. It's probably not fair to blame SK for that (after all, the project was all about making MGS1 with MGS2's gameplay improvements), but it's there regardless.

That said, the new trick regarding the PAL card at the end of the game is an absolute improvement.

Neiteio

If it's not Eternal Darkness, then they don't have a clue what their most requested IP is...
For real. After reading up on the whole "take a stand and be counted" fiasco, I fear Dyack might do what I mentioned earlier: making it sound like a Too Human sequel is "highly requested."

I think a fair bit of the criticism lobbied against TTS does center around the gameplay mechanics, or more precisely how the new ones clash with the old ones. Ocelot gets brought up a lot, but a lot of the thrill in sneaking past guards is a bit diminished since you get the Mk 22 right away and can simply tranq them from far away distances. It's probably not fair to blame SK for that (after all, the project was all about making MGS1 with MGS2's gameplay improvements), but it's there regardless.

That said, the new trick regarding the PAL card at the end of the game is an absolute improvement.

Thanks for reminding me of the whole tranquilizer addition. Seeing as I preferred MGS2's gameplay to the first, it didn't bother me at all, but I can see how hardcore fans would feel it made the game less balanced.

Ridley327

Thanks for reminding me of the whole tranquilizer addition. Seeing as I preferred MGS2's gameplay to the first, it didn't bother me at all, but I can see how hardcore fans would feel it made the game less balanced.

As sacrilegious as it might sound, I think TTS would have benefited from a ground-up reinvention a la REmake, where there's certainly similarities, but it's an altogether new beast entirely. As that was not in the cards, we're stuck with a bit of a Frankenstein's monster.

CFMOORE!

it blows my mind that there are comments in here that don't understand the relationship nintendo had/has with SK and what their ultimate involvement in an ED sequel would be.

From the people saying an ED sequel would be on PS4,X720 to Nintendo wouldn't take a chance and fund/publish, or people not wanting Nintendo serving as directors on the project.

There are facts out there about Nintendo's ownership of the property, their heavy involvement with overseeing development and so forth. I can't believe people think this can end up anywhere else but on WiiU and be really shitty. Nintendo simply would NEVER allow it.

Persona7

Banned
Circumstances are a bit different now. The IP is a nice fit in Nintendo's portfolio now that they want to re-engage "core" gamers. It's got a bigger cult following these days. Factor in the overall strength of Nintendo today vs the GCN era.

Fact is, if Nintendo wants to be a console for everyone, they cant just hope third parties put their games on Wii U, they will need to publish games designed for the "core" player. It's a perfect storm really.

I didn't think about it like that.

Would be great.

Splatt

I'd like a new entry in the Blood Omen series. I didn't play 1 when it came out, tried it last year and I felt that it aged poorly in the gameplay department. Blood Omen 2 is crap in all departments.

zlatko

Banned
Real talk: I want to see a Too Human sequel. There is some SOLID ideas, and a blueprint from the first one to make a stellar game. It just didn't all come together unfortunately.

Of those 3 though I'd pick Legacy of Kain. ;)

Top Bottom