• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - APRIL 2012 (We are all fools)

OnPoint

Bqccm.png

April is here, and I didn't get this posted on the first. Good thing, I suppose, since I would have been inclined to make a joke for Game of the Month. And we can't have that. There was a surprisingly large amount of quality titles this month, but it didn't feel like it as the weeks went by. Only by going back and looking again did I see how many gems there were scattered throughout the crap (of which there is way more).

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

HELP! Xbox LIVE Indie Games aren’t available in my country!

Yes they are! Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s incredibly simple, and absolutely worth doing.

W92gS.png

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

I may be making something of a controversial pick here, but I felt that I had the most fun with Super Ninja Warrior Extreme. It's easily one of the best platformers on the service to date, joining the ranks of Apple Jack and Volchaos.

This game has seen many comparisons to Super Meat Boy, and it's easy to see why at first. There's a large amount of wall-jumping and spinning saw blades in this 30-level platformer. Ninja Warrior is definitely a different game, though. There's a deliberate and smooth difficulty curve and it never gets nearly as hard as Team Meat's opus.

There's also combat, which helps spice things up a bit. The controls are always spot on, the music is great and it's only a dollar. Give this one a shot.

0zpx0.png

The Silver award, for games that are great, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner.

Tower Defense fans may cry foul at my choice for Gold, since Spoids is so expertly crafted. Sorry to disappoint, but the game is still very, very good.

I'll admit that I'm not a very big fan of the genre, so I don't have a ton of specifics to offer about the game other than it kept my attention longer than most TD-style games. There seemed to be a pretty massive amount of enemies to contend with, and the building aspect was both intuitive and sensical.

The presentation is great as well, with high quality voice acting and stylish graphics. Fans of TD really need to look into this one.

=================

Astral is pretty much Eufloria. But that's OK because Eufloria isn't available on the Xbox and I actually liked this game's simplicity a lot better.

The premise is simple. You're in control of a planet's satellites, and your job is to overtake the other planets. So you send those satellites to the other planets in order to conquer them. But wait -- there's a computer controlled enemy (or more, in later levels) doing the same thing with their planets, attempting to take over yours. Turn all of the planets red and you win -- if they all turn blue you've been usurped.

My only real complaint was the controls. The free moving cursor made it difficult to work quickly, despite having developed a proper strategy. Being able to quick select through the planets would have made things a little smoother.

=================

There should have been no way a game called My Cat Vs Zombies Ep 1 could make this list, much less as a Silver award winner, but here we are. It's a strange world we live in, but this game is surprisingly decent.

Aside from the title and the premise, the game itself has a strike against it being a twin-stick shooter. None of it matters, as the game itself plays relatively well. The real star, however, is the great writing. It has an amazing sense of humor and constantly makes the player laugh. I'm as surprised as you are.

oFKKi.png

Bronze Award winners don’t represent the best games out this month, but every one of these has some really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying, or is more than good enough to warrant a trial. It’s for games that are worth talking about.

Retro Arcade Adventure is a pretty basic arena combat game where you swing a sword at all the enemies on the screen until they stop respawning. It has a fantastic set of retro aesthetics and, while short, is pretty fun.

RedShift is a procedurally generated bullet-hell shooter. It plays well, has a striking aesthetic, and is generally boring if you aren't into bullet-hell shooters.

Ogre's Phantasm Sword Quest is one of the most ambitous 3D titles on the system. There's definitely something here in terms of effort, it just would be nice if the gameplay matched the visual output. Still, it's not absolutely awful and should show people what XBLIG is capable of in motivated hands.

Racing Wings is a strange little game that has you time-trialing a plane around a track. You have to go through some of the gates certain ways, like, vertically or horizontally. It's not bad, but it felt like it was missing that certain something to make it fun enough to go past the trial. There's no real urgency to the gameplay and it failed to hook me.

Wanderer is a game where you have to go from planet to planet, collecting keys and opening doors to progress. Jumping from the planetoids uses gravity, so you'll have to plan your route carefully or you'll be cast out into the empty reaches of space. The controls aren't great, but the game is pretty fun.

We Are Cubes is a shooter, but it's set at an interesting angle and uses vector-style graphics. Enemies scroll toward you and you have to blast them to bits to progress to the next level. If they get past your ship they shoot back up, where you'll be forced to contend with them again. A nifty little game.

Red Invasion: Tower Defense is a basic, but enjoyable tower defense game. It took me a few rounds to realize that there were towers creating money and that I could build more forces, and I almost didn't like it because it was impossible to complete the first level. This is something a fan of the genre would have probably looked for right away. That said, it made more sense once I figured that out.

Dunjax felt like an old-school PC shareware title from the early-to-mid 90s. It's a side-scrolling game that's quite difficult. One interesting aspect that your field of vision is realistic, so if your character can't see beyond a wall, YOU can't see beyond that wall either.

woOOPuP! is an Arkanoid-style brick-breaker. Lots of powerups. Nice graphics. Plays well, if a little loose. Nothing you haven't seen before, but a lot went into this one it seems.

ifVQZ.png

Some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Seriously. No links. There are a lot of bad games on Xbox LIVE Indie Games, but this section is reserved only for games so atrocious or fundamentally flawed that they actually anger me.

Some games are insultingly bad. Jigsaw Jumble is among them. It's a puzzle game. Litterally. And it sucks. Figuratively. If it were a tangible item, its suckage would probably be literal as well.

Bit Digger is an isometric 2D Minecraft clone. Where pigs can explode with dynomite. And the controls suck. And there's nothing to do.

You might be hoping Paper RPG was the XBLIG answer to Paper Mario. Sorry. Adding "Toilet" to the beginning of the title would be more fitting.

I've never seen one game get released as many times as Turborocket, but here we are, now on the fourth installment. That link is what I wish would happen to the series.

Dark Forest needs a keyboard and mouse. And a time machine, because it feels like it's from the early-to-mid 90s in the worst ways possible.

There are certainly better plane games than War In A Box. I'd rather not play video games at all then play this awful piece of trash.

tCd28.png

A small section for games that have been updated somehow, either with new content or with a brand new price! This section will only bother with games that are worth buying, so if it’s in here, assume that it’s excellent and that you should own it.

I haven't picked up on any, but if anyone wants me to add stuff in here, please PM me or post it below so I can edit it in.

T1P1i.png

No XBLIG game has received more play in a group at my house than Hidden In Plain Sight. It may be multiplayer only, but it is a phenomenal game.

Here's what I said about HIPS back in December, when it won a Silver award:

The game is played by two or more players. The first mode is the perfect introduction to the concept. The screen is filled with identical ninjas. You and your friends are somewhere in this crowd. It’s up to you to locate yourself in the crowd without giving your position away. The goal is simple – touch each of the five statues before your opponents do, or kill the other players. It’s a very simple concept that opens the door for four other creative modes.

There’s a Knights Vs Ninjas gametype, where the ninjas need to kill the royalty before being snuffed out themselves. The Knights are a bit slower so they’re penalized for being too aggressive – it’s best to stay by the targets and protect them that way – while the Ninjas do best to blend in with the crowd and avoid suspicion. There’s a mode where players try to collect coins while others try to locate and pick them off with a sniper rifle. Death Race is also a fun mode. The goal is to reach the finish line before everyone else, but each player has a one-round sniper rifle. Stick out like a sore thumb by moving too far ahead of the pack and you run the risk of getting shot. It’s just a ton of fun and like nothing I’ve experienced.

===========================

Have fun, and if you’re playing an Indie Game you love, don’t forget to tell people about it, because it’s only through you that the service thrives.

Tower Defense fans may cry foul at my choice for Gold, since Spoids is so expertly crafted. Sorry to disappoint, but the game is still very, very good.

Foul! =P

Nah, I think Spoids is far more likely to find its market when the PC version comes out really, I doubt many people are looking to XBLIG for their tower defence fix, especially when there are only two really good ones I can think of on there. It is great, though. Can't argue too much with SNWE!

Penny Arcade 3 preview on Joystiq, which reveals that it's going to be an XBLIG rather than an XBLA title. Battle system looks immense.

So the Gold Award winner from last month's thread was Picbox, and it appears as though it hasn't yet sold 7billion copies. This implies that there are a couple of people out there that haven't bought it! Luckily for you, the dev has provided a few codes for people on GAF that would like it.

(Don't redeem these codes just for the sake of getting something for free, redeem them because you want to play the game!)

THREE WAYS TO WIN!

Either find out what the missing letter in this code is: RVJ9T-HMW3M-7J7F7-R3M?Q-KYYHM

Or quote to reveal a secret hidden code here

Or download the trial of Picbox. The game comes with a bunch of awardments, including twelve for solving puzzles in certain months. So, solve a puzzle, and the first person to post the name of the awardment for solving a puzzle this month wins the final code.

Go!

Onionkid

So the Gold Award winner from last month's thread was Picbox, and it appears as though it hasn't yet sold 7billion copies. This implies that there are a couple of people out there that haven't bought it! Luckily for you, the dev has provided a few codes for people on GAF that would like it.

Thanks, grabbed the code!

Well, I just got done with the beginner levels and I'm really liking the game so far! The sound and graphics are charming, and the actual *feel* of the game is really responsive. The way the cursor sorta locks onto the spaces as you scroll past them feels good and being able to hold down the button to remove/highlight lines is a nice touch. Other little details like the effects when you remove a block or the "awardments" unlocking graphics are nice to see too on an indie game. For a dollar, this seems like a no-brainer!

I'm assuming the avatar on the right is only there because hell, why not? I guess seeing as how so many of the top downloads on the service are "Avatar ____" games, I can't blame em for putting em in.

Wow, Zeboyd's taking to XBLIG huh? Should bring the service some attention, one would hope.

yeah, that's definitely interesting. i would have expected some "bigger" platforms for this title given the penny arcade license. i wonder if there will be an ios port...

iavi

yeah, that's definitely interesting. i would have expected some "bigger" platforms for this title given the penny arcade license. i wonder if there will be an ios port...

Robert Boyd said:
Posted: Apr 2nd 2012 2:13PM
Robert Boyd said

It's mostly a price thing. XBLA games are generally $10-$20 and the price is determined by Microsoft. We wanted to have control over the price and sell it for much cheaper so we decided to go with XBLIG (meaning the price can be in the $1-$5 range).

I don't much care for XBLIG and its limitations anymore, so I'll just grab it on Steam.

I don't much care for XBLIG and its limitations anymore, so I'll just grab it on Steam.

well, i guess that explains the platform choice :p

i'm awfully surprised at how little interest there seems to be in these threads here on gaf. why are people so indifferent towards xblig? my only guess is that there's too much rubbish on the service which prevents people from taking it seriously. however, there's really a lot of great games to be had and virtually all of them for $1. then again, maybe people are getting their $1 game fix on ios devices...

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Despite its disadvantage as far as promotion and dash coverage goes, XBLIG is nevertheless free from a number of issues involved with an XBLA release.

As Robert indicated, XBLIG gives us more freedom with the price point, at least on the low end. We want to minimize the barriers to entry for Rainslick 3. For some, it's the third game in the series, but we also wanted to design it in such a way so that you can pick it up with this game and not be lost. We also want to keep the price in line with our past games so that price isn't a huge barrier for people.

Going XBLIG also avoids exclusivity requirements so that we can release on other platforms, such as Steam, iOS, and Android within a reasonable time of each other rather than having to wait some specified time per some potential timed-exclusivity requirement.

But mainly since we're doing multiple platforms, XBLIG gives us some flexibility in that regard and also pricing.

'Splosion Man.

'Splosion Man is rubbish, so this confirms my suspicions that the animation is rubbish =P

Megacity is a port of an iOS game, and is really good. Kind of addicted already. You have a 6x6 grid and you have to fill it with buildings. Some of them are houses which score points, and some of them are facilities which have areas of effect, and the points are awarded to (or deducted from) houses that sit within these areas of effect. Your aim is to score a certain number of points from houses in each column before you run out of space. Once you score enough points in the leftmost column, the grid slides along and you get an extra column at the right to play with until you lose. If you've played something like Triple Town, you'll enjoy this. It's very different, but somehow familiar.

aspragg

Neo Member
I appreciate the extra plug for Hidden in Plain Sight, and I'm glad you're still enjoying it!

It's my third indie game, and the first one where I thought during playtesting "Wow, this game is ACTUALLY fun." That phrase "actually fun" really stuck with me.

I'd love to see some videos of other people's play sessions. I put up a heavily edited version of my friends playing on YouTube. I wish I could put up the whole thing, but there was far too much swearing and general tom-foolery that they didn't want made public. :)

OnPoint

I appreciate the extra plug for Hidden in Plain Sight, and I'm glad you're still enjoying it!

It's my third indie game, and the first one where I thought during playtesting "Wow, this game is ACTUALLY fun." That phrase "actually fun" really stuck with me.

I'd love to see some videos of other people's play sessions. I put up a heavily edited version of my friends playing on YouTube. I wish I could put up the whole thing, but there was far too much swearing and general tom-foolery that they didn't want made public. :)

Don't sell yourself short, I still get decent mileage out of Bad Golf too.

aspragg

Neo Member
Don't sell yourself short, I still get decent mileage out of Bad Golf too.

You're too kind, thanks. It's a decent little game, I guess, but there certainly isn't anything really compelling or fresh about it. Which is why I'm so pleasantly surprised when I get a random fan email praising it.

I've started about 8 different projects since HIPS, and nothing has stuck... Kind of frustrating.

Despite its disadvantage as far as promotion and dash coverage goes, XBLIG is nevertheless free from a number of issues involved with an XBLA release.

As Robert indicated, XBLIG gives us more freedom with the price point, at least on the low end. We want to minimize the barriers to entry for Rainslick 3. For some, it's the third game in the series, but we also wanted to design it in such a way so that you can pick it up with this game and not be lost. We also want to keep the price in line with our past games so that price isn't a huge barrier for people.

Going XBLIG also avoids exclusivity requirements so that we can release on other platforms, such as Steam, iOS, and Android within a reasonable time of each other rather than having to wait some specified time per some potential timed-exclusivity requirement.

But mainly since we're doing multiple platforms, XBLIG gives us some flexibility in that regard and also pricing.

do you really think dash coverage is still an issue? i mean, at this point, it's right there with xbla and games on demand. i was very happy to see that they did that. however, i haven't checked the xna forums in a while, so i don't know what effect that change had (if any) on sales.

unfortunately, there hasn't been much of anything that interests me on xblig lately, so i have nothing to rant about or recommend.

Ranger X

I think Mega City is pretty great. You guys should play this. It's not a city builder but an original and refreshing puzzle game. I will probably buy it.

I dare you all to look at the screenshots of Vidiot Game and work out what kind of game it is from them.

Having played this demo, I still can't work out what it is. I did play it for the entire duration of the trial but I have no idea why. It's like that eight minutes of my life has been sucked into some kind of void and I can't comprehend what I actually experienced in that time.

48 Chambers is fun. You move a... thing around, avoiding spikes and trying to collect keys and reach exits before time runs out. I assume there are 48 levels, but it's not a "complete the game" kind of game so much as a "get as far as you can before you die" one. When you run out of lives, you start again, so it's the score you're after rather than reaching the end, though an impressive feat that would be. It could do with online leaderboards but it seems stupid to moan about their absence when the restrictions would make them utterly useless anyway.

I think Mega City is pretty great. You guys should play this. It's not a city builder but an original and refreshing puzzle game. I will probably buy it.
Enjoyed it as well. Can you ever clear to a new area or is it just mixing up tiles and whatnot based on level, or something? Or just an endless score-chasing type thing?

Gets much better once you've unlocked more blocks. The demo doesn't sell it as well, maybe.

So we had the chance to play this little 8-bit gem, They Bleed Pixels at PAX.

It was destined for XBLIG, but they've managed to grab a publisher, and it looks like it is headed for other platforms instead. A blast to play though, and surprisngly nice blend of genres.

It was destined for XBLIG, but they've managed to grab a publisher, and it looks like it is headed for other platforms instead. A blast to play though, and surprisngly nice blend of genres.

that looks pretty cool! did you see anything interesting at pax that IS coming to xblig?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Hope one of those others is "XBLA" as well, then. Game has always looked like it deserved some attention!

And yeah, would have loved to have heard some XBLIG news from PAX, though was pretty happy with the XBLA news as well... (still wanna see even more on those games, though!)

MikeJWall

Neo Member
that looks pretty cool! did you see anything interesting at pax that IS coming to xblig?

I played the Penny Arcade game and will have a story up on that over the next few days. Nyan Cats was there..but I'm not sure you're too interested in reading about that ;)

I think that's about it. Last year, a dev there had a snake game that was coming to XBLIG, but it hasn't even come out yet. I have no idea what is taking so long since it had like a billion game modes already.

MikeJWall

Neo Member
Oh, and by the way, this is Mike, the EIC of Armless Octopus, and I finally got approved for Neo Gaf. I'm looking forward to joining in the conversation about XBLIGs over here :)

OnPoint

I played the Penny Arcade game and will have a story up on that over the next few days. Nyan Cats was there..but I'm not sure you're too interested in reading about that ;)

I think that's about it. Last year, a dev there had a snake game that was coming to XBLIG, but it hasn't even come out yet. I have no idea what is taking so long since it had like a billion game modes already.

Snake 361 right? That game was awesome. I still bust out Snake 360 once in a while while playing with friends.

I was shocked by the lack of XBLIG at the show, but perhaps it's a sign of how the industry is moving.

MikeJWall

Neo Member
Snake 361 right? That game was awesome. I still bust out Snake 360 once in a while while playing with friends.

I was shocked by the lack of XBLIG at the show, but perhaps it's a sign of how the industry is moving.

That's it! I wasn't too surprised. I can't think of many in the past other than YYR's Snake game, and Mommy's Best Games, so I wasn't really expecting much. Ska Studios was there with Charlie Murder as well.

what is it with people wanting to customize their characters? everyone i have shown my game to immediately starts asking about the ability to customize the player avatar... and this is from children (my 8 and 10 year old nephews) to grown men in their 30's (friends).

am i the only one left on the planet that doesn't care about this kind of stuff? is it better to design your main character to be customizable rather than trying for something cool and iconic that people are going to like/relate to? what do you guys think?

also, i would love to take my game to pax to show off. possibly next year. assuming pax east is around the same time in 2013, it would line-up nicely with our intended release date.

what is it with people wanting to customize their characters? everyone i have shown my game to immediately starts asking about the ability to customize the player avatar... and this is from children (my 8 and 10 year old nephews) to grown men in their 30's (friends).

am i the only one left on the planet that doesn't care about this kind of stuff? is it better to design your main character to be customizable rather than trying for something cool and iconic that people are going to like/relate to? what do you guys think?

also, i would love to take my game to pax to show off. possibly next year. assuming pax east is around the same time in 2013, it would line-up nicely with our intended release date.

I don't know what your game is, but it needs hats.

OnPoint

I'm with you on this. I don't care what my character looks like -- just make the game good.

I got quite a few emails during the Summer Uprising last summer that seemed either mad or disappointed Windhaven didn't make the cut. We didn't cut it though, the devs said it wasn't going to be ready.

Looks like a year later, it is. Looks cool too and I'm sure much better after an extra year of work.

Ranger X

Enjoyed it as well. Can you ever clear to a new area or is it just mixing up tiles and whatnot based on level, or something? Or just an endless score-chasing type thing?
Gets much better once you've unlocked more blocks. The demo doesn't sell it as well, maybe.

More an endless score game I guess. I should play more. I shall buy it anyways and see.

Gaspode_T

Ok folks, Septipus: Tentacle Apocalypse might be the best XBLIG in months by production values and pure ambition.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...ocalypse/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550aee

I couldn't help from laughing out loud when the title music kicked in...it's an obvious homage to a pretty famous game. The production values in this game are crazy, and maybe it's the file size increase but for $1 it really is packed with a lot of voice acting and graphics...the actual presentation and interface is slick and leaps above most other indie games.

Here's a review from OtakuDante:

http://otakudgamereviews.blogspot.jp/2012/04/septipus-tentacle-apocalypse-xblig-epic.html

There's not much else I can praise 'Septipus: Tentacle Apocalypse', or 'Soulfire Software' about, because the game is practically perfect. I've basically said so with my own review of the game. It is a visual, and audio feast that is definitely worthy of the 80 msp ($1) asking price. If I had any complaints at all it would be that I wished there were more levels within the game. This isn't really a complaint, but merely me saying that the game was so good that I wish there was more of it. If you haven't got this game yet, and you're a fan of the classic dungeon crawlers such as 'The Legend of Zelda (NES)' then definitely get it! Even shmup fans may get something out of this game considering how the final boss battle played out

Gaspode_T

There's a whole 30 minute video podcast dedicated to XBLIG every week or every other week on Nico Nico Douga and he had a segment dedicated to Snake games in one of the episodes, it was pretty funny...I would seriously translate and fansub the episodes with English subtitles if I knew there was an easy way to do it.

Here's the episode with Snake/Snake 2:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16965694

OnPoint

Ok folks, Septipus: Tentacle Apocalypse might be the best XBLIG in months by production values and pure ambition.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...ocalypse/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550aee

I couldn't help from laughing out loud when the title music kicked in...it's an obvious homage to a pretty famous game. The production values in this game are crazy, and maybe it's the file size increase but for $1 it really is packed with a lot of voice acting and graphics...the actual presentation and interface is slick and leaps above most other indie games.

Here's a review from OtakuDante:

http://otakudgamereviews.blogspot.jp/2012/04/septipus-tentacle-apocalypse-xblig-epic.html

I know what I'll be checking out when I get home

Top Bottom