• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
wEdZv.png

Tea is the second most popular beverage in the world – #2 only to water. Traditionally, the drink is produced by steeping the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant in hot water. If the leaves are not from the Camellia sinesis plant, it is technically not tea, but a tisane. However, considering how most of us do not live in a French-speaking part of the world, calling it “herbal tea” or even just “tea” is fine by me. If you want to engage in that snobbery, do like I do and go to Quebec on vacation. Montreal is wonderful.

The point of this thread is to get you drinking tea if you don't and to get you drinking more if you already do. Oh, and we can like, share stuff with each other and become BFFs.

2F9gn.png

Bagged vs. Loose Leaf.

The majority of this guide is catered towards loose-leaf tea. However, let me state unequivocally: there is nothing inherently wrong with tea bags. Great quality tea can be put into tea bags and produce a brew just as nice as loose-leaf. The problem is that great quality tea often does not find its way into your tea bag. Instead they give you stuff called “fannings,” the lowest quality, least flavorful grade of tea you'll probably ever encounter, and they'll charge you a considerable mark-up for it. There can be a lot of snobbery associated with tea, but this is not one of them: loose-leaf is just categorically better than bagged.

Some things to consider:
  1. Loose-leaf is often cheaper.
  2. Loose-leaf is usually higher quality
  3. Loose-leaf gives you control over how you brew your tea.

By all means, try out stuff using high quality tea bags. Again, the method of steeping tea using a tea bag is not what's bad. Once you begin to taste the difference, I'm convinced you'll want to give loose-leaf a try.

Hardware. There is no right answer to what kind of hardware you should use. Use what is comfortable for you. I will, however, ram my suggestions down your throat:

• Brewing vessel (or a “teapot” to those of you who speak normally to real people). Teapots are great. I own 3 of them. I love breaking it out and brewing tea with it. But in my day-to-day life, I use a french press. French presses are better than teapots in basically every way: it gives your loose-leaf tea room to brew, it can do a half cup of tea just as easily as it can do 4 (or 8, depending on size), they are very easy to clean, and they effortlessly separate the brewed tea leaf from the brewed tea liquid.

Also, I really like how they look:
  • Heating Device. There are many ways to heat water. You can do it using a kettle on a stove, or a container in a microwave, or, hell, even a Keurig (but only if you want to telepathically force me to inexplicably and uncontrollably weep). But once you really get into brewing tea, do yourself a favor and pick up an Electric Kettle. There are many advantages to using an electric kettle: they heat faster than any other option, are more energy efficient than a stove, and, if you buy a good model, can accurately heat the temperature of the water exactly where it needs to be for all the types of of tea you'll be brewing.

I strongly suggest you get an electric kettle with a variable temperature gauge. It will allow you to perfectly brew every type of tea you'll encounter. Some models include a dial, which you adjust for different temperatures. These can be hard to read, but they work fine and it's the style of kettle I use. There are also kettles which will heat to the exact temperatures needed for the major types of tea. These are worth it if you don't want to fuss around setting the right temperature. They're often more expensive, though. There are also some kettles which will allow you to precisely set the exact temperature you want. These are the best of both worlds, but are, again, often even more expensive.

I like these kettles from Adagio.

Brewing Time and Temperatures.
ue8XB.png

Note: Unless from Teavana, always try your package's instructions first. Some varieties within the same family of tea may need drastically different temperatures to taste their best. Yerba Mate and Green Rooibos are the only herbals I've encountered that do not take boiling water. Roasted Yerba Mate and regular, Red Rooibos can both be treated like any other herbal tea.​

HWQcd.png

(This section is incomplete and U.S.-focused. I'd love to hear your recommendations in this thread or via PM.)
Latest additions marked with an asterisk (*).

Starting points:

Adagio | Adagio is a great starting point as it has a wide variety of good quality teas. They have a product in nearly every category now, from black to green, white to oolong, pu-erh to herbal. Nearly everything is available in sample sizes, too. Prices are very reasonable and they even have some nice customer loyalty programs like earning gift certificates for reviewing teas.

The Tea Table | Similar to Adagio, but less expensive. They offer clear discounts for buying larger quantities of tea. Strongly recommended by our own HiResDes.

Stash Tea | Stash is another good starting point because they can also be found in many grocery stores. They also offer a fairly wide range of teas (including Guayusa, a still somewhat uncommon herbal) and the vast majority of them are available in pre-made tea bags.

Mighty Leaf | Mighty Leaf is fairly similar to Stash. They're often sold in independent coffee shops and the quality is some of the best that's sold in pre-made teabags.

David's Tea | Based out of Canada (ships to U.S.). Great when starting out because they have a nice selection of flavors. Can be a little pricey, but the quality is good. They also offer a few "step up" teas that are great for going deeper in the world of high quality tea.

Advanced:

Harney & Sons | A well respected tea retailer founded by Mike Harney and in business for over 25 years. The quality of many of the teas here are noticeable steps above any of the teas from the companies in the starting point category. Of course, with that bump in quality comes a bump in cost. However, Harney and Sons is still one of the most reasonably priced sellers of higher quality teas and, honestly, it's easier to pay a little more when you can taste the difference.

Upton Tea Imports | One look at this website will tell you all you need to know: these guys are old school tea importers. In business since 1989, Upton has a huge range of teas, including varieties that no other tea retailer has. Prices are more competitive than even some in the starting point category.

Davidson's Tea via Amazon.com | While the quality of many of the teas here are a little lower than others in the Advanced category, the prices are sometimes impossible to beat. I've put them in this category primarily because you'll have needed to develop a serious tea drinking habit to make buying their bulk teas worthwhile. Now, let me share with you some game I picked up: when buying from Amazon, select the Subscribe & Save option. This will save you an extra 15%. As soon as your order ships, cancel the subscription and you'll never be charged again.

Other/Exotics/Speciality

Matefactor | This is my go-to website for buying fresh green yerba mate. Quality and price is fantastic. As you can tell by this picture of the 11 pounds of Mate I buy at a time from these people, I am obsessed.

Samovar | Based out of San Francisco. A lot of super-high quality stuff here. You can even snag some teas grown in Hawaii. You will pay dearly for the luxury, though. Most expensive retailer in this list by far.

U.K./Europe
Mystery Tea House | U.K. based. LordAlu says, "They even have a tea room where you can try different teas and have a bit of lunch too! Was only there last week for some lovely Green Apple Black Tea :)"

Adagio Europe | Same as the American Adagio above, but is sold and ships from the U.K. They have less choices, but are still a good option for trying different types of tea.​

qoQxs.png

Please read this part with this on in the background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfzWj5a_Y4. If the song ends while reading please chase it with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

The majority of tea consumed by Americans is served ice cold and, with warm weather approaching, it's time to learn to make your own iced tea. A lot of people turn to pre-bottled teas, like those from Honest Tea, Harney & Sons, or Snapple, and at least 2 of those are perfectly fine if you're out and about without access to your equipment. But at home? You can do this.

Basic Iced Tea
  • Prepare your equipment as if you're brewing a normal cup of tea.
  • Fill a large glass with ice (a 18 to 20oz beer glass works wonderfully).
  • Instead of putting a cup of water over your tea leaves, half it. Use 4oz of water.
  • At this time add any sweetener you may normally like in your tea. Stir to disolve
  • Brew for the standard length of time.
  • Pour into glass filled with ice, stir, and enjoy.

It's as easy as that. There are other methods of producing iced tea, but this is the quickest.

Next Level Procedure
  • Purchase 1 can of frozen juice concentrate.
  • Consult packaging of frozen juice concentrate to determine how much water you need.
  • Half that amount of water and brew double strength tea of your choice with that amount of water. (E.G. packaging says to add 5 cups of water, brew 2.5 cups of tea using 5+ teaspoons of tea leaves.)
  • Mix together juice concentrate, cold water, and double strength tea.
  • Realize you've wasted your life having not done this sooner.

#GAMECHANGER. My favorite combination is Yerba Mate + Welch's White Grape Peach.

Drink Suggestions.

Half & Half / Arnold Palmer | 50% iced black tea + 50% lemonade.

Iced Lemon Mate | 75% iced yerba mate + 25% lemonade.

Boston Iced Tea | 75% iced black tea + 25% cranberry juice.

Lime Chiller | 75% iced jasmine green tea + 25% limeade.

Of course you can mess with the ratios to tailor it to your preferences. I'd love to hear if you have any other interesting combinations.​

NYZvB.jpg

Pictured: Iced Lemon Mate

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Funny thing is I just got finished making a cup here at work. I trained two ladies from Shanghai last month and they brought tea for me. :p

Chris R

Came in to espouse the superiority of a french press for tea making, only to see that the OP had it covered.

My electric kettle isn't fancy, so I just let it come to a boil and then wait the appropriate amount of time to let it cool down depending on what kind of tea I'm making. After it brews, the tea goes straight into my Zojirushi thermos and stays there until I drain it at work.

LProtag

I've got one of those Bodum tea infuser/presser pot things.

Works pretty well for loose leaf. Have to try out some new varieties though.

I had a ginger "tea" (tisane I guess) last night (just thinly sliced ginger steeped for 10 minutes with a bit of agave nectar)

I haven't had any fancy teas (fanciest I have ever gotten was something like republic of tea(which I love)) but I would love to drink more tea and less everything else.

So mostly I'm just subscribing to the thread.

what would be your one suggestion that I pick up from that Davidson's amazon link? I am open to drink anything.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Came in to espouse the superiority of a french press for tea making, only to see that the OP had it covered.

My electric kettle isn't fancy, so I just let it come to a boil and then wait the appropriate amount of time to let it cool down depending on what kind of tea I'm making. After it brews, the tea goes straight into my Zojirushi thermos and stays there until I drain it at work.

Zojirushi makes the best thermoses. I am a heavy coffee drinker and my thermos can keep coffee warm the entire day at work. It's crazy.

morningbus

You don't like TheTeaTable's offerings?

Absolutely nothing against them. I just haven't tried them out yet. What is it that you like about them? I'll add it to the list in the OP. Edit: Oh, and would you list them as a good staring point or a more advanced option?

Isn't there already a tea OT? I could be wrong.

Yes, but it was time for (and I had promised) a better new one. Because we deserve it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I drink more tea after lunch, as I have coffee in the AM. What is some good "It's 2:00pm and I'm half asleep at my desk" tea with good flavor?

now that's a real man's cup of mate. respeck

I can't drink any tea on an empty stomach except mate. Gives me a serious stomach ache and makes me nauseous. But coffee is fine with cream and sugar. It's kind of annoying because I love black and green teas, but I have to have something before breakfast in the morning, so mate or coffee it is.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
Hooray for tea! I spent a bunch of time at Samovar in San Francisco a few weeks ago and had some incredible matcha. I live in Phoenix where it's going to be 115*+ this summer so hot tea isn't the most refreshing thing in the world, but I love a good sencha every now and again.

morningbus

what would be your one suggestion that I pick up from that Davidson's amazon link? I am open to drink anything.

I really love Rooibos (though some people complain of a somewhat medicinal taste). I also really like their hibiscus, which makes a wonderful tea. Also their Moroccan Mint tea is made with spearmint and is therefore CORRECT.

Truly, the most wonderful of thread titles.

Thanks!

I drink more tea after lunch, as I have coffee in the AM. What is some good "It's 2:00pm and I'm half asleep at my desk" tea with good flavor?

What kind of flavor are you looking for? Something brisk? Sweet? Fruity?

Didn't mean to nitpick - looks great! Will subscribe.

Oh no probs! I would have definitely said something too, if it weren't my thread.

now that's a real man's cup of mate. respeck

Thanks. I put a little lemon and agave nectar in the french press and added some ice to have some wonderful tereré. I can't drink too much of it, though. That gives me stomach problems.

Hooray for tea! I spent a bunch of time at Samovar in San Francisco a few weeks ago and had some incredible matcha. I live in Phoenix where it's going to be 115*+ this summer so hot tea isn't the most refreshing thing in the world, but I love a good sencha every now and again.

Yeah, Samovar has some really nice teas, too. I'll add them to the list on the next pass.

I'll be adding some info on iced tea soon, so we'll get you covered!

I asked this is the other Tea OT but not sure if I got a response. Anyone ever try a Pirates Chai Tea. Its like a Green/Chai mix or something.

Its delicious and I'm wondering where I can buy some for a good price.

I drink a cup every afternoon, but my methodology is pretty lowbrow comparatively:

1. put a teabag in the cup (currently I have a box of Bigelow Earl Green, but I change it up all the time)
2. pour cold water in the cup
3. microwave it for 2:30
4. throw away the bag and drink it

I've been doing that for years. Maybe it's time to step it up!

Alucrid

Banned
Yeaaah! I need to grab me a new electric kettle with heat settings and something to brew tea in. French press possibly or one of those nifty plastic things adaigo makes, as well as some new tea itself.

Excellent OP, long live tea.

Myzer

Love a good cup of tea.

I generally have a cup of green tea in the morning (right now), and a couple of cups of black tea during the day.

I'll drink bagged tea if I'm in a hurry, but if I know I'll have time to clean the kettle afterwards I'll go loose leaf.

morningbus

Giard

Yunnan tea is my favorite! I should drink some more often.

I have an Adagio IntelliTEA kettle, does a great job and is cheap.

I drink a cup every afternoon, but my methodology is pretty lowbrow comparatively:

1. put a teabag in the cup (currently I have a box of Bigelow Earl Green, but I change it up all the time)
2. pour cold water in the cup
3. microwave it for 2:30
4. throw away the bag and drink it

I've been doing that for years. Maybe it's time to step it up!

You are in for a life altering experience when you join the loose leaf team.

Subscribed. I am brand new to drinking tea and I really appreciate the tips. I somehow managed to go through college without the use of caffeine but my job now requires that I be on my game for 9+ hours a day. I really, really tried to like coffee but I just couldn't. Even the most sugary, creamy cup of joe is still absolutely repulsive to me. I'll admit that I'm not too fond of the taste of green tea either, but it's still far less appalling to my taste buds than coffee. And it's really good for you, so that's a plus.

I've been drinking this:

large.jpg

We have an electric kettle in my office but it does not have a gauge. I didn't know that boiling water was bad for green tea. :S However, lately I've been drinking it cold because I don't really like warm tea.

I've been using this method: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Iced-Green-Tea

But my co-worker said that I should brew my tea hot and then chill it down after, because steeping it in the refrigerator "just gives you tea-flavored water." Is this true?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
As a regular coffee addict (around 12-15 mugs/day), a great tea alternative for me is English or Irish Breakfast with milk and sugar.
I was a big friend of Bewley's Clipper Gold, but it's been discontinued or so, at least none of my outlets sells it anymore:
P1040310_25.jpg

P1040315.jpg

P1040319.jpg

P1040322.jpg

P1040325.jpg

Since then I switched to Bewley's Irish Breakfast and the wife appreciates Prince of Wales tea, but it's not the same. i spotted a blend from Bewley's called just "Gold", anybody tried it out yet?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As a regular coffee addict (around 12-15 mugs/day), a great tea alternative for me is English or Irish Breakfast with milk and sugar.
I was a big friend of Bewley's Clipper Gold, but it's been discontinued or so, at least none of my outlets sells it anymore:

Since then I switched to Bewley's Irish Breakfast and the wife appreciates Prince of Wales tea, but it's not the same. i spotted a blend from Bewley's called just "Gold", anybody tried it out yet?

12-15 mugs of coffee a day! Damn, I thought I drank a lot at 2 big mugs. :p

Also, never thought to try black/breakfast tea with creamer. May have to do that.

Arcteryx

I'm a big fan of Adagio's, both the pre-mixed and the create-your-own variety.

My go to favorite is some stuff that you can find in supermarkets, Yogi-tea, specifically the Healthy Fasting and Ginger ones.

edit: before I gave up on coffee, I was drinking close to 10 cups a day (frontloading it toward the AM, a couple in the afternoon). It actually didn't get me that wired, just helped me stay awake for the odd hours I was keeping with work.

ameratsu

I used to buy sencha from o-cha (yutaka midori <3) when I lived at home, but for the past few years I've been buying cheap, astringent bancha from the grocery store or asian foods store. It lacks the properties of more expensive japanese green tea, but will do until I get a real job.

I've also been buying cheap loose leaf black tea which is a nice alternative to bancha sometimes. Adding milk to any tea is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned though.

choodi

Banned
I don't drink coffee, so tea is where it's at for me.

I have a pot a work and a selection of about 10 different loose leaf teas.

Recently discovered French Earl Grey. Lovely aroma and very refreshing.

Thanks for making this thread, great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom