• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you like to see next gen play out?

CPS2

Ideal hardware specs, game delivery methods, types of games and developers you want to see and so on.

For me, i'd like small HD consoles with no physical media, more jrpgs, action games and fighting games, less motion controls, tablets and cameras.

Derrick01

Banned
I just want my usual "boring" powerful consoles with the same controller as 360/ps3/ps2/xbox. I'd like a healthier industry though, like more successful AA games to go with the standard AAA stuff but at the end of the day you can't make people buy stuff they're not interested in. Those will probably end up being xbla/PSN exclusive since they'll be guaranteed bombs if they sell at retail.

More Japanese companies embracing Steam. I honestly have no idea what some of these companies are thinking. For example, do you know how little it would cost and how much money Square-Enix would make if they just released some of their classics on Steam?

Levyne

Banned
Same date retail/download releases and same thing for multiplatfrom and console/pc.

That would be real nice.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As of now it looks like I'll be PC only since I play 90% of my games through steam sales and rentals so if they cut out used/rentals they can fuck off for all I care.

Same for Sony/Nintendo if their controllers are an ergonomic disaster again even if they don't block rentals/borrowed/used etc.

Log4Girlz

System with the worst specs will win again. Everyone will have a tablet. One of the major 3 will fall. Indy games will be far more interesting than major titles.

SmokyDave

I want Sony brought to their knees. When they're on their knees, I want Sega to buy them, for 65 yen. I then want Sega to turn the business around (rebrand PS4 to Dreamcast 2) and stomp MS & Nintendo into submission. Then Sega can buy Valve and together, release the console that I really want. I'll stick with iOS for portable stuff and the PC, well, is the PC.

Salvadora

I want Sony brought to their knees. When they're on their knees, I want Sega to buy them, for 65 yen. I then want Sega to turn the business around (rebrand PS4 to Dreamcast 2) and stomp MS & Nintendo into submission. Then Sega can buy Valve and together, release the console that I really want. I'll stick with iOS for portable stuff and the PC, well, is the PC.

You will get Sonic 2013.

Derrick01

Banned
System with the worst specs will win again. Everyone will have a tablet. One of the major 3 will fall. Indy games will be far more interesting than major titles.

That's what you want to happen or that's your predictions for what will happen?

You're depressing if the answer is the former.

Personally I'd like to see everyone do well....

But mostly I'd like to see Sony return to their former glory - they have so much in-house dev capability and so many amazing exclusive franchises that we would all be worse off if they don't turn it around.

Games like uncharted 2 and 3 push the whole industry to strive for better things. IMO.

MMaRsu

Banned
USED GAMES

BC

Gameplay over presentation ( LOL )

refreshing new ideas ( a possibility )

Advancements in AI and IQ

A big leap in capabilities from current systems

oh well

Sequels to my favorite franchises (e.g. Bayonetta) by good developers, total cessation of development on franchises I don't care about (e.g. Lost Planet) in in favor of new and interesting IPs.

If there's no backwards compatibility in the PS4, I hope Apple/Valve enters the console gaming industry as disruptively as possible and eliminates Sony for being so consumer-unfriendly as to obsolete everyone's old game libraries.

I want Kingdom Hearts' story to get even more convoluted.

Hardware: something on par with high-end PC's
Delivery: \care, retail / digital
Games&developers: game releases like this generation but with higher Jdev output this time. Give me some real next-gen jrpgs worth playing like dark souls.

Durante

I'd like to see all Japanese third parties start releasing their games on PC. Then I don't even need to bother with consoles.

But since that probably won't happen I'd at least like region locking to die. (Watch Sony re-introducing it and everyone else sticking with it. Nintendo will probably lock games to individual countries next)

Seik

Banned
Used Game.
Free online.
No DLC (Anti-DLC Law voted, developpers have to put all their work in the game, one shot).
1080p/steady 30fps mandatory.
Mouse/Keyboard compatibility/Multi USB ports.
Normal controllers.
More AA.

Consumer's paradise.

RedSwirl

Actual sustainable business policies.

More variety.

Apps.

For PSN and XBLA to at least get kinda close to the quality of Steam.

Reliable hardware.

Expansion packs instead of DLC.

Karuyag

games that have new mechanics and challenge those mechanics to a degree of controller throwing goodness (in a good way)... while having graphics that are distinct and not so dark that i have to turn up the brightness of my monitor to max...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'd really like Nintendo's digital delivery service to do well enough that they start ramping up the amount and scope of first party games targeted at it, more akin to XBLA and PSN's top tier stuff.

I really think they could excel in that space. They've got a ton of IP to play with that might not have the relevancy to do well at retail anymore, but that would be perfect for the $10-15 DD platform. Or they could actually allow some of their teams to use that platform to float new IP. And while not the most original avenue, the prospect of HD remakes/reskins of some of their most sacred cows could be pretty amazing if done right.

Angry Fork

No motion controls.
No on-disc/day one DLC.
Dedicated servers on games that need it and can afford it (COD).
PSN to remain free to play online.

StAidan

My likes are pretty simple. I've rarely been more than mildly interested in the games available on Microsoft and Sony consoles, so as usual I'll only be buying Nintendo's hardware, if any.

At the same time, I'd like to see all three companies do well enough to maintain a healthy sense of competition.

More and better uses of motion control would also be nice. After playing Skyward Sword, I don't ever want a new 3D Zelda without motion controls, but there were serious moments of jank in SS's controls that need to be remedied.

EDIT: Oh, and if Nintendo jumps on the "DLC everywhere" bandwagon then I might just stop console gaming altogether.

Honest to goodness online with gamer tags, multiple accounts, etc for Nintendo's console

Backwards compatibility so I don't have to keep my old consoles to play old favorites

Regular controller options

JRPGs

massoluk

Banned
I want the whole dudebro shooters market to crash and burn and Squareenix to realize no one gave a shit about their over convoluted stories and announced a spiritual sequel to Final Fantasy 9.

ryushe

I want more and easier ways to play and connect to my friends online.
You a PS3 only gamer?

As for me, I just want AAA's to have a bigger emphasis on gameplay, characterization and storytelling than the presentation carnival we've all had to endure and be apart of this Gen.

And yes, this is a stealth NieR post.

Alx

Dreamcast 2.

No seriously, I don't know if I'll really bother with next gen. I'll probably take what's available if I'm interested enough, but I don't think I'll spend too much time gaming any more. As a consequence I'll probably favor small games available as digital download... if anything I hope it will help arcade games coming back.
I wouldn't mind getting some fresh blood too. Sony/Playstation is a tired brand, Nintendo is still stuck in its own little world, MS hasn't been bad as a new contender but since it enters its third generation it could become conservative. If the rumors of Apple and/or Valve hardware become true, things could become interesting.

-Middle of the road games

-Better Japanese support

-Pricing structure for certain titles based on budget. Not every game should be $60

-100% BC. New Xbox should play OG, 360 and XBLA titles and PS4 needs to support PS1,PS2,PS3,PSN and for bonus points make it a docking station for PSP and Vita to play on the big screen.

Pie Lord

I want to see a modest increase in console power, an improvement of the DLC business model, a heavier emphasis on digital distribution and backwards compatibility.

Emitan

Affordable consoles with less restrictions on developers. Let them patch, let them update, allow free to play.

guek

Banned
- MS and Sony both launch at the end of 2013

- MS goes for a more moderate jump in power compared to Sony but still dominantly outclasses Nintendo with taking a relatively minor loss

- MS focuses much more on services, apps, windows 8 integration, kinect, etc. over game development. XB3 has a handful of console exclusives but mostly becomes the defacto console for multiplatform games.

- Sony focuses on another beast of a machine but prices more aggressively than this gen, taking another huge loss per console.

- PS4 sales trail woefully behind XB3 because it targets only the hardcore without properly addressing the expanded market

- The Wii U tablet is a hit with the expanded market but falls short of matching the same excitement and fervor created by the original wii-mote.

- Both XB3 and PS4 sales trail behind Wii U for the first 3-4 years primarily due to higher price and missing the tablet controller boat. However, XB3 and Wii U sales are closer than 360 and Wii sales were this gen. At the end of 5 years, the worldwide LTD are roughly 85 mil - 60mil - 40 mil for Wii U, XB3, and PS4 respectively.

- Launch prices are $300 and $400 for Wii U and XB3/PS4 respectively. MS and Sony both also have $500 SKUs but they are more premium packages and the $400 SKU is not a tard pack.

- 360 continues to sell moderately well for the first few years of the next gen, bringing it's final LTD to 80-85 mil. Wii tops out at a little under 105 mil

- After 6 years on the market, Wii U's successor is released in 2018, is only marginally more powerful than XB3 and PS4

- Both MS and Sony decide to follow the same pattern they did this generation and keeps XB3 and PS4 successors off the market until 2021

- Final LTDs in 2021: Wii U: slightly less than 100 mil, XB3: 90 mil, PS4: 55mil

- Nintendo dominates Japan, MS dominates NA, tend to go back and forth in Europe

Karuyag

i think games of today are so concerned about good graphics that they regret the most important part... gameplay

next gen... i want GAMEPLAY!!

also... BUG/GLITCH-FREE games!

wait... how next gen plays out?

uh... Nintendo gets its niche loyal fans... Sony and Microsoft toe to toe with their multiplats... Apple makes a console entrance that bombs all three...

Top Bottom