• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat |OT| Time to let loose with the juice!

DarkKyo

iu3zC2G7YJkyo.png

Welcome to Super Monday Night Combat! Super MNC is a third person shooter/MOBA with an emphasis on adrenaline-pumping gun fights, teamwork-oriented gameplay, and hand-to-hand combat. Like many MOBA games out there, Super MNC is free-to-play and includes a store in which you can use real-world currency or in-game credits for things like characters, costumes, endorsements, and products. Two teams, the Hotshots and the Icemen, face each other in brutal combat across several arenas. Choose between five key roles and many more pros within the roles to compliment your team's offensive and defensive capabilities. You can setup products in the lobby to add or enhance abilities and endorsements to boost your strengths and minimize your weaknesses. The point of Super MNC's main gametype is to carve a path into the opposing team's base and take down their Moneyball!

ivDz79D66Cmwp.png

idUCVFMzYpyoF.png

As soon as the match begins you're going to want to start destroying the enemy bots. Robots of various sizes and strengths will begin to march out of your base and the enemy base. Bots are generally less dangerous than other pros but they can still pose a serious threat, especially in large numbers. Help to defend and keep your own bots alive so they can make it through the map and start knocking down the enemy turrets. Once your bots take away the shields of the deadly turrets you can damage and destroy them to weaken the enemy's defenses. But make sure to watch both lanes of the map as it is very likely that the enemy pros are doing the same thing to your own turrets! The more bots you kill, the more money you'll earn to spend during the match and the more you'll level-up so you can make your skills and combat abilities increasingly deadly.​

iHGQsuFEJBCqT.png

Each Pro has three skills to skill-up, alongside the option to skill-up your offense and defense. The max level during a match is 15 and by hitting the level cap you will have enough points to level all five skills/attributes to their highest level. It is important to not fall behind in levels by failing to kill bots and collect money because higher level enemy pros can turn devastating if left unchecked. Make sure you get to know the skills of your chosen Pro so you can knowingly prioritize which abilities or attributes you want to level first.​

ibzL9263NnpF8P.png

Killing bots and enemy players and getting kill-streaks are great ways to make cash during a match.. but what does one spend it on? All around the arena you will find opportunities to trade collected money for a leg up in battle. If you are low on health and in the heat of combat maybe you'd like to spend it at a health/juice vending machine. These machines are costly but regenerate your health at a much faster pace. If you spot enemy pros in an ideal location you can also spend a wad of cash on an Ejector. These nodes send out a powerful pulse to damage and blow away all pros and bots around it. Given the right timing, you can send multiple enemies flying over the edge of the map! You can also summon more powerful bots that don't regularly spawn from your base. These spawn locations are found a little further out and the bots can be expensive, but they can be invaluable to your efforts in guiding your bots. Most importantly, you can choose to spend your cash on the devastating Annihilator.​

ikIXiEL27zxyb.png

There are many items that you will find throughout the match that will greatly aid you in battle. They are usually dropped by specific bots and the Super MNC staff.
  • Coins: Your main source of money during matches are the coins that all bots drop. Money is very important so be sure to collect a lot of it! There are also products that can help you attract more coin pickups.
  • Churros: These deliciously unhealthy snacks give your health a big boost! Churros are a staple of the Pro diet and Super MNC culture in general. Feeling worn down and near death? Eat a churro!
  • Armor: Armor plates will give you a boost to your armor that covers your health bar. You're going to want to come prepared to large-scale Pro/bot fights so it pays to have that layer of armor ready to go.
  • Juice: One of the more useful pickups is Juice. You can find it in the form of purple juice boxes and giant orange pieces of fruit. Your purple juice bar at the bottom of the screen displays how much you have stored up. Get a full Juice bar and you are a much larger threat to bots and pros alike. Either use your Juice charge to become super powerful, gaining an edge to your weapon/skill strength and faster regeneration of skills and health, or save it for breaking out of an enemy's grapple.
  • Sprintz: These helpful pickups give you a passive speed boost until you are killed. Try to get a few of them because they actually stack. When you've got an entire team of pros after you, you're gonna need that speed.
  • Bacon: Praise be unto Thee, O Bacon! The rarest pickup in the game is also the most delicious. Bacon gives you various bonuses such as a huge replenishing of your health, along with bonuses to critical hits, speed, and skill recovery. If you see some Bacon on the field it better not already be in the enemy's mouth.

iIkfAVLGBl8Sn.png

Every arena has a neutral area called the jungle that is filled with dangers and opportunities. Neutral bots roam this level and look for anyone to kill, regardless of team. When you first get to the arena these can be very troublesome enemies but by the level cap you should be a jungle-prowling beast yourself. The incentives for braving the jungle include controlling more of the map, having access to various vending machines and the Annihilator, and holding higher ground to rain bullets down on your opponents. That's not all that happens in the jungle, however. Keep an eye on the jungle and you are bound to see apparances by some of the Super MNC staff:
  • Bullseye: Bullseye is the mischievous mascot of Super MNC. He will briefly appear in the jungle and run around to attract the attention of the competing pros. Upon assaulting Bullseye, he will throw out all sorts of goodies, like money, churros, shields, and juice!
  • Juice Bot AKA Fruit Fucker: The lovable, infamous juicer of Penny Arcade has been known to make an appearance in the jungle on occasion. Much like Bullseye he will throw out goodies, but he is most likely to throw out lots of juice in the form of yummy fruit!
  • Chickey Cantor: This massively problematic poultry will appear in the longer matches of Super MNC. He lands in the jungle and runs around looking for pros to attack all to the sound of his ominous anthem. The team that defeats Chickey will be granted the golden egg which heals them completely. You can also ride him with a grapple for bonus dollars!

i77mjCkkrjCB8.png

The dreaded Annihilator is an arena device in the middle of the jungle that will be ready to fire every five minutes after it was last fired. It costs $1,000 and you need to stand over it, defenseless for a short time, to be able to activate it. But man is it worth it... the team that didn't claim the Annihilator will have all of their bots on the map wiped out in an instant and their pros' health severely damaged. If their health was already damaged then it is likely to kill them. It is a good idea to get up to the Annihilator and claim it with your team before the announcers say it is almost ready. Two good teams can have big battles over the Annihilator for minutes on end while their bots battle each other without pros on the map below/above the jungle.​

iRhGy5oy3mFkP.png

iAiPLap1M6UCs.png

Low health, high mobility class for debuffing and ambushing.
ibbf15b8vamoDk.png

The Assassin is a very deadly opponent, but most effective when she is not seen. Using her cloak ability, she can get behind enemy lines without being spotted by enemy turrets or bots. It is best to use this ability to surprise her opponents with her katana from behind. A fully upgraded Assassin lurking behind your team is no laughing matter.​
ibusRDUINEjn0B.png

Wascot may look a bit ridiculous and is quite similar in appearance to Bullseye, the Super MNC mascot. Do not let his appearance fool you though, as he is one of the more dangerous commandos due to his ability to counter any grapple! He is a very tenacious opponent and can close the distance between himself and his enemy in an instant.​
imPDl8B4BS17.png

A hero of epic proportions, Captain Spark is a master of electricity and laser sword combat. He is able to quickly appear out of no where and grapple you, tossing you behind him(and perhaps off the map). When he gets worn down and things look bleak, he can mysteriously blink out of battle before you can blink your eye.​

iQXILctjcACcg.png

Medium health, generalist class mixing burst damage with mobility.
ibbzfEAuifCSht.png

As one of the most well-rounded pros, Assault has a good assortment of weapons and tools at his disposal. What is perhaps the most dangerous aspect of Assault is that he can use his jet pack to fly effortlessly around the map, making it quite difficult to shoot him down or grapple him. Those facing an Assault may find themselves having to retreat quite often.​
iu6VNvENLmHuD.png

The android Karl is a rather strong striker, though he lacks the ability to get around as quickly as the others. His weapons are super effective when it comes to fighting other pros and destroying enemy bots. When using his powerful damaging and stunning skills alongside his guns he is a serious threat to whoever he's got his eyes set on.​
i98gBO7UUfCbx.png

Megabeth is a speedy roller derby chick who primarily uses a rocket launcher for burst damage. Besides having pretty good mobility, she's also got some really strong skills for close combat. She can close distances in an instant and take you on before you can think about escaping. Don't worry about her lack of jump/height based abilities because she can also rocket jump!​

ibaQHFBL03HxRu.png

High health, slow moving class maximizing short-range damage.
ifIif8WzT2xHd.png

Tank is a very powerful opponent, both offensively and defensively. Utilizing a powerful shield, along with a ramming ability and a mighty powerful jet engine flamethrower, this is a guy you do not want to find yourself in close combat with. You'd better hope there is a healer around you if you can escape him because you are likely to be on fire.​
iMOLxRCprLKn7.png

Veteran is a brutal Pro who has been in the league a long time. The man is nigh unstoppable. His abilities are centered around his strong melee skills like his very painful grapples. Don't think you are safe if you see him across the map because he has the ability to literally yank you from wherever you are standing in the distance and pull your helpless body towards him. Or if he's in the right spot, pull you into a turret or off a cliff.​
ibfnxWsipDSpxl.png

Gunner's weapons are some of the best for taking down enemy bots. His primary weapon is a rather large minigun which has a great quantity of ammo, allowing him to rain hot metal for an extended amount of time. The man is an immovable object, as one of his skills allows him to lock into a turret mode, effectively giving him increased damage resistance, accuracy, crit chance, and protection against headshots!​
ibfQCmA8XTPfPE.png

Cheston, not being a human or an android, has much to prove! He is very capable in battle with his tommy gun and feral abilities. He can let out a loud roar to buff and heal his own teammates as well as let loose in a bestial fashion, charging towards his enemy opponents. You do not want to face Cheston alone. Also, in a true homage to his gorilla ancestors, he throws exploding barrels.​

ibfofEH1Uv32TU.png

Medium health, healer class for buffing teammates and area control.
ibox9n8WhOismp.png

Support is a go-to class for healing. His healing capabilities are top notch and every team is bound to do better with him around. He can also set up powerful turrets to help fortify key positions like the Annihilator. This combination of very potent healing alongside his supporting skills makes him one of the most sought after teammates to have.​
i4dIFYRFy42xf.png

Leo is essentially an exact clone of Leonardo da Vinci. Literally. They used da Vinci's DNA. Leonardo adapts quite easily to the chaos of the future that surrounds him, as he understands how to turn enemy bots into travelling bombs. He also has a very potent heal that he can use every so often. Using his wing contraption he can actually glide down from higher areas, allowing him to avoid grapples and fall damage.​
iZhBb0deyVG6R.png

Combat Girl is a spunky young lass who is also very helpful when it comes to healing. Her signature skills involve placing tiny cat-like turrets around the map. She can place them virtually anywhere, including walls, ceilings, and other hard-to-reach places. Besides fortifying positions, she also has an unusually strong laser that she can summon at will, blasting through an entire lane of bots and pros.​

ib2InLPPGni4sV.png

Low health, ranged damage class for highly skilled aim.
iohiLyvtGJbCW.png

A charming southern woman, Gunslinger is a master of revolvers and rifles. While she is built to engage in battle slightly more than Sniper, she mostly likes to stand back and avoid getting dirty. Her powerful unscoped rifle is pretty viscious to avoid from afar and if you dare to close in on her you risk her pulling out her powerful slowing abilities and double revolvers. Possibly the toughest, yet most rewarding, Pro to play.​
ibxg5x6SOnrmBf.png

Sniper is a master of long-range tactics. He has a very deadly sniper rifle that is known for its powerful headshots. He also has an ice trap that traps opponents and slows anyone else who wanders around the trap's aura. One of the most annoying things about Sniper is his ability to aim at those trying to claim the Annihilator from a long distance away.​

ibbtxWCAzbNci6.png

ibfhcQxpfNhgNN.png

iLdj6qsfU0mxZ.png

iYbVXBfGFzJ11.png

iwvptxr0g1rPa.png

Super MNC is still early on in its overall development in terms of features, though there do seem to be many clues as for what's to come in the future:
  • New Pros
  • New Gametypes
  • New Arenas
  • Trading, replays?(both are mentioned by the current announcers)

DarkKyo

Haven't been able to get in a game all day..

I assume this is a problem everybody is having... right?

Yeah, since the servers just went up(I guess they hadnt even planned on releasing it yet) they are getting hammered today. I don't think it will take too long to get things running for all the new users(at least I really hope not).

Edit: Think they said valve had some things to do server-side as well

HenryHSH

Searched for it as Super Monday Night Combat on Steam and couldn't find it. Glad I checked this thread, it's under Super MNC.

Downloading now!

Nice work on the OP, looks awesome!

I just got done with a couple matches, so it's working in some capacity. Chat was still really flaky, though.

HenryHSH

Can't even run the game. It just crashes on the splash screen. :\

Edit: It's a PhysX issue. Had to roll back to an older version and the game launches.

HenryHSH

Yep, just found the answer, lol.

Thanks anyway!

Now I have another problem, Borderless windowed mode blacks out my other 2 screens. Kind of defeats the purpose...

Card Boy

Banned
I'm going to say something and please don't consider it trolling. I am voicing my feedback because i know the developers watch Neogaf. I have said it on their forums, but got slammed by fanboys.

The game will remain uninstalled forever and I'm not putting a single dollar into the game until this happens, put in a classic mode in Super MNC. Meaning put in a mode that features the same damage as the original MNC. All the Pros are basically Bullet sponges at the moment. If it means rebalancing the Pros for this mode, then so be it.

Again i will paraphrase Adam Jensen in regards to the damage system in SMNC, "Noone asked for this"

No one asked for the game to be like DOTA. No one. The system works well in a traditional RTS format, but fails miserably as a 3rd person shooter.

There is nothing stopping Uber from putting in the mode. Considering the game is free to play, they need all the money they can get from a satisfied playerbase. I feel Uber have shat all over their original fanbase with SMNC.

I will be personally watching the Steam stats on this one. As see if my opinion is shared by others.

DarkKyo

Nice work on the OP, looks awesome!

I just got done with a couple matches, so it's working in some capacity. Chat was still really flaky, though.

Thanks very much!

And yeah I just got done with a matchmaking match myself and it went pretty well. The servers are so populated now that it's open to the public.

Tawpgun

Because it takes a lot of bullets to kill them. It doesn't matter if that condition applies to everyone. It's not really a quality that's based on averages.

That's how they designed the game though. They wanted to put more emphasis on the Bots and DOTA elements.

Card Boy

Banned
That's how they designed the game though. They wanted to put more emphasis on the Bots and DOTA elements.

And i will ask again, who asked for this? I don't remember anyone saying during MNC "Oh I wish this game was more like DOTA *shakes fist*", "$15? Pass. I would otherwise buy this if it was more like DOTA!". Talk about taking a dump on your original fanbase.

In MNC i could wipe out a whole TDM will my skill and reflexes alone within seconds. Now i have to farm, and it takes 10 billion bullets to kill someone. If i wanted to play DOTA, i would play DOTA.

I'm voting with my wallet on this one (meaning UberEnt isn't getting a cent from me)

Relax.MX

Only on Beta:

vhH1p.jpg

The game have a lot of problems, is unbalance, the updates is like two steps forward 3 for back...but the game is FUN!! very very FUN!

Tokubetsu

Along with the god awful patching system they have, another gripe of mine is the hilarious pricing for shit in the store. $20 for a skin? really?

JWong

Banned
I'm getting close to being able to purchase a character (with coins), but I think I need to test out the sharpshooters first. If gunslinger is good, then I'd still get Megabeth before Gunslinger.

I do wonder if they're going to add more characters. Seems like a kind of game where you can't add characters like mad (like LoL), but the F2P way to fund it is adding more characters.

DarkKyo

I'm getting close to being able to purchase a character (with coins), but I think I need to test out the sharpshooters first. If gunslinger is good, then I'd still get Megabeth before Gunslinger.

I do wonder if they're going to add more characters. Seems like a kind of game where you can't add characters like mad (like LoL), but the F2P way to fund it is adding more characters.

They're definitely going to add more characters. It's pretty much part of their business model at this point. Megabeth and Leo were both just added within the past two months or so. I can't imagine they'll ever have anywhere near the amount of characters as something like LoL because of the amount of work SMNC characters take to develop in comparison, but I could see them adding around 4-5 per year, perhaps... Maybe more.

Wthermans

Banned
Good old Uber. Didn't address the level multiplier (which was causing the Beta to bleed players) and they think the game is ready for release.

DarkKyo

Uber ventured way too far into MOBA territory with SMNC for my taste.

It might be a really niche taste, you're right. Personally I'm not too big into MOBA games(I kind of like dota2 but not LoL at all) but I love the way SMNC does it.

Downloaded but not had chance to play yet. Will be hitting up the Support Healing class by default. :D

Nice, support is free this week I think so now is you're chance.

And i will ask again, who asked for this? I don't remember anyone saying during MNC "Oh I wish this game was more like DOTA *shakes fist*", "$15? Pass. I would otherwise buy this if it was more like DOTA!". Talk about taking a dump on your original fanbase.

In MNC i could wipe out a whole TDM will my skill and reflexes alone within seconds. Now i have to farm, and it takes 10 billion bullets to kill someone. If i wanted to play DOTA, i would play DOTA.

I didn't really care what direction they went with it, but the first game had some horribly broken systems that were pretty inherent to the design, and this one fixes a lot of that. My group of friends quit playing MNC because almost every match turned into "have a big team deathmatch until overtime, then rush their moneyball and cheese-spam it from a mile away to win". It really minimized the uniqueness of the game because almost all of the unique elements became afterthoughts.

Most of the changes in SMNC are there to promote teamwork and strategy, which I am all for. It takes a while to get used to, and I certainly have other gripes with the game, but overall I think it's a more thoughtful and interesting game than the first one.

Along with the god awful patching system they have, another gripe of mine is the hilarious pricing for shit in the store. $20 for a skin? really?

Yeah, some of that is ridiculous, but as someone who doesn't buy the cosmetic stuff, I prefer it this way rather than having the gameplay-impacting stuff be more expensive.

DarkKyo

If you haven't done so yet, make sure you snag the TF2 bundle while you can. All those TF2 costume pieces for only 50 credits! Such a steal, that's like 1/3 the reward from a single match.

BurningNad

Hey so I just jumped into a game, didn't play much of the first so I'm pretty noobish, went 17 and 4 (yes, I know k/d isn't everything) with Megabeth... but alas, my team lost. I think I want to get into this though, I had a ton of fun. If anyone wants to team up sometime add me on Steam (BurningNad)!

DarkKyo

Hey so I just jumped into a game, didn't play much of the first so I'm pretty noobish, went 17 and 4 (yes, I know k/d isn't everything) with Megabeth... but alas, my team lost. I think I want to get into this though, I had a ton of fun. If anyone wants to team up sometime add me on Steam (BurningNad)!

17-4 in your first game is actually really, really good. Nice job!

JWong

Banned
Man, I go in with 1/11 and still win as Megabeth lol.

Had an epic 30 minute game. Took really long, lost a bunch of annihilators, but their double healer bit them in the ass as we had way more firepower in the end. Won that game. feelsgoodman.gif

Sanic

Nice thread, thanks for making it Dechaios! Here's the Steam group that was made a few months ago. Hasn't really gotten much use, but feel free to join. Hopefully it'll help you find some games with gaffers.

And not to be a downer, but I really don't feel like the game is ready for a wide release, even though I enjoy it. For those of you just starting out, keep in mind that the game is still very much a work in progress.

If you haven't done so yet, make sure you snag the TF2 bundle while you can. All those TF2 costume pieces for only 50 credits! Such a steal, that's like 1/3 the reward from a single match.

Didn't know this, thanks.

DarkKyo

Nice thread, thanks for making it Dechaios! Here's the Steam group that was made a few months ago. Hasn't really gotten much use, but feel free to join. Hopefully it'll help you find some games with gaffers.

And not to be a downer, but I really don't feel like the game is ready for a wide release, even though I enjoy it. For those of you just starting out, keep in mind that the game is still very much a work in progress.

Didn't know this, thanks.

Wow nice! Thanks for the link! I'll see if Goonboon wants to post it in his reserved post since he told me he was going to be posting community stuff, but if not I'll totally add it to the big post!

Edit: Yep he posted it! Thanks man.

JWong

Banned
About Endorsements and Products, I'm not sure about how some of them will affect certain characters. Like how would magazine size affect Megabeth when she only has 4 shots.

Anyway, for a Megabeth build, I was thinking Speed and Fire Rate.

Speed has +4 speed, +0.08% crit chance, +0.3% Fire Rate, and -8 Health
Fire Rate +0.8% Fire Rate, +1% magazine size, +3 Health, and -2% accuracy

Megabeth accuracy isn't too crucial, so it's worth losing, and I need to get enough fire rate to negate the health loss from speed.

Have no idea what products are good though.

Goon Boon

Banned
About Endorsements and Products, I'm not sure about how some of them will affect certain characters. Like how would magazine size affect Megabeth when she only has 4 shots.

Megabeth accuracy isn't too crucial, so it's worth losing, and I need to get enough fire rate to negate the health loss from speed.

Level 5 endorsements are usually too high a downside for the benefit (as well as 4 times as much as level 3s, and I think 2 times as much as level 2s), so I'd stick to level 3 and 4. 1 is good too if you need a quick and dirty endo page, since they're about only 100cc each.

However, if you play commandos and veteran accuracy doesn't mean jack shit so feel free to get level 5 fire rates (I think megabeth's rocket launcher has perfect accuracy, so I don't think that matters either), but if you hit 25% magazine size you should be able to get a fifth rocket before you reload.

Wthermans

Banned

As Megabeth, you want Fire Rate, Reload Speed, and either Crit Rate (if you're doing a Crit build), Magazine Size (if you want an extra rocket), or Skill Regen (if you want to Spin2Win).

Card Boy

Banned
I was willing to give this another try yesterday and I installed it, but got hit with a 1.2gig patch today, fuck off. Uninstalled again. I could of sworn someone said they fixed the patching system.

BurningNad

Got some solid games in, and holy fuck I'm having so much fun, even in losing games. My new go-to multiplayer game.

Aaron

There's a lot of cool stuff around the game, but I don't find the shooting fun at all, and that's a deal breaker for a game where the main thing you do is shoot.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
And away it goes. A 1GB download every few days because of a piss poor patching system isn't my kind of thing. Had to remove Dungeon Defenders for the same crap. Guess I should just stop playing Unreal Engine games altogether.

DarkKyo

I didn't realize so many people would have problems with patching. It's not really a deal breaker imo but I guess some people are sensitive to that sort of thing...

Top Bottom