• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat |OT| Time to let loose with the juice!

Tokubetsu

Hey look at me! I'm Spark and my teleport has the range of a fucking football field and goes through walls! Here's me slapping you with my giant penis and then fucking off! GG!

It's finally released? not played it at all and I LOVED the first MNC, so looking forward to playing this and the new pros.

Same charm as the first game, right?

Mickey cantor?

*edit* can't make a game account, email already in use because I used to post on the ubernet forums... no log in screen for me to use to use my exsisting account. SO STUPID!

*edit* found a work around, logged in now

zulfate

It's finally released? not played it at all and I LOVED the first MNC, so looking forward to playing this and the new pros.

Same charm as the first game, right?

Mickey cantor?

to me its a way different game, i fucking love it more than part 1 but alot people here arent liking the more dota focus this time around

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ok so i downloaded this game yesterday, and even after the patch i still can't play this game. it keeps saying connecting to chat. i thought it was server side, so i left for 20 mins and cam back, but no, just the same connecting to chat thing. i have no clue whats going on. i loved the first MNC and i really wanna at least try this. anyone know whats up?

LuchaShaq

Banned
I could never get my 360 pad to work in the beta despite people telling me there was support, has it been fixed/implemented yet?

Yeah yeah I know kb/m for shooters but I fucking hate it/am worse with it so oh well.

LOVED the first one, and played it more than any other shooter this gen, the 4-5 hours I played of the beta with kb/m underwhelmed the fuck out of me but I want to give it a 2nd chance if controller support is in/fixed.

I could never get my 360 pad to work in the beta despite people telling me there was support, has it been fixed/implemented yet?

Yeah yeah I know kb/m for shooters but I fucking hate it/am worse with it so oh well.

LOVED the first one, and played it more than any other shooter this gen, the 4-5 hours I played of the beta with kb/m underwhelmed the fuck out of me but I want to give it a 2nd chance if controller support is in/fixed.

It's not too late to turn to the light, my son. God's Own Control Scheme* will be waiting for you, however long you linger with the blasphemous controller.

*What, you think the universe was designed with a 360 controller and radial menus? That shit was mouse and keyboard, playa.

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's not too late to turn to the light, my son. God's Own Control Scheme* will be waiting for you, however long you linger with the blasphemous controller.

*What, you think the universe was designed with a 360 controller and radial menus? That shit was mouse and keyboard, playa.

I play better/enjoy myself more with a controller. I SHOULD be better with kb/m but I'm not and I don't really care enough to put in the practice to fix it.

Kyari

I played this through out the Invitational and loved it, but I am not particularly good at the game. There's no real way to learn how to play without getting shouted at, as is the problem with all MOBAs sadly. Hate to say it but the poisonous atmosphere of the playerbase kind of turned me off after a while.

Kunohara

I played this through out the Invitational and loved it, but I am not particularly good at the game. There's no real way to learn how to play without getting shouted at, as is the problem with all MOBAs sadly. Hate to say it but the poisonous atmosphere of the playerbase kind of turned me off after a while.

I honestly just ignore them. They can scream till they are blue in the fucking face, I won't even look at them.

I was willing to give this another try yesterday and I installed it, but got hit with a 1.2gig patch today, fuck off. Uninstalled again. I could of sworn someone said they fixed the patching system.

They kind of "fixed" it... it used to redownload the whole game (2.8 gigs or something) at every patch. It definitely needs a lot of improvement though.

Yeah, just had a game where a guy berated our whole team over voice chat every time he died, even though the rest of our team clearly knew how to play the game and most were doing better than him. :/
Most of the players seem pretty respectful, but the bad apples are always the most vocal and annoying.

The best way to learn (in my experience) is to do practice matches against bots, just to get a feel for your abilities and how to quickly kill bots, move around the field, etc. There are also some good character build guides on their forums that can explain a few tricks with each pro that are easy to miss, and give you tips on good products/endorsements.

The "new player experience" is definitely one of the game's big weak spots, though. I'd like to see them make a separate queue for new players -- that seems like an easy fix that would ease players into the game a little bit better.

Played about 8 matches now that the matchmaking is working, sort of.

I like it, hard to adjust to some of the old characters as their moves have been tweaked such as the supports hack is now an overclock, works completely different, same goes for assaults charge now doesn't grapple and do huge pushback.

I've only just worked out that using an endorsement doesn't actually use it up and you can stack them in to open slots, I thought at first that when you bought one it would be used up in a game, due to how you can buy quantaty. Not the case now.

I dig it, pointless costumes cost too much but hey I get some free cash due to owning MNC so bought the tank and a 1 day money booster.

BurningNad

I dig it, pointless costumes cost too much but hey I get some free cash due to owning MNC so bought the tank and a 1 day money booster.

How do you get free cash for owning MNC? I have it and don't have anyting extra. Do you have to activate it or something?

How do you get free cash for owning MNC? I have it and don't have anyting extra. Do you have to activate it or something?
It was just there along with gold clothes for the old pros, I did read that Some on the forums are still waiting for theirs too, I never played the beta of super either.

I logged in to super after adding my old account from the uberent forums with a URL on the forums somewhere, it might be that. I'm on the tablet right now so hard for me to dig all the info up quickly.

This game needed another four to six months of beta.

I don't know, once you get into a match from your region the game plays great, you can tell that they took what was great about MNC and then spiced it up, having more then 6 pros also makes each match play different.

I need to get my tank to have a faster rate of fire, he will be a bot killing machine once I get about 15%... which is going to take ages :(

BurningNad

I don't know, once you get into a match from your region the game plays great, you can tell that they took what was great about MNC and then spiced it up, having more then 6 pros also makes each match play different.
Agreed. The only problems I've had were some matchmaking issues, but once in game it's pretty damn solid.

Big Chungus

Weird, for some reason I have $7 in my Super MNC account.

Anyone know why it's in there?

I bought MNC a year ago, and played a bit of the Super MNC beta.

Orayn

Been playing a lot of Combat Girl with my buddy as Assault - Works really well when we can lane together. I'm kind of amazed at how powerful Combat Laser is for blowing up bot waves and damaging turrets.

Weird, for some reason I have $7 in my Super MNC account.

Anyone know why it's in there?

I bought MNC a year ago, and played a bit of the Super MNC beta.

They give you some money for playing in the beta.

Weird. I thought more gaffers would be all over this game. Regardless, I really just begun to dip my feet into this game... I'm getting a strong pay to win vibe but I'm still loving it.

I REALLY need people to play with... so please add me :) username is pinksocking

BurningNad

Weird. I thought more gaffers would be all over this game. Regardless, I really just begun to dip my feet into this game... I'm getting a strong pay to win vibe but I'm still loving it.

I REALLY need people to play with... so please add me :) username is pinksocking

I thought so too, but it probably has to do with the fact they accidentally released it months early. I'm sure if it got more advertising it'd be bigger. I hope that doesn't affect it too harshly.

In any case, I will add you. I've only got about 25 games under my belt but I'm starting to get with it.

Been playing a lot of Combat Girl with my buddy as Assault - Works really well when we can lane together. I'm kind of amazed at how powerful Combat Laser is for blowing up bot waves and damaging turrets.

Combat Laser is a ton of fun. It's also great for lining up on enemies as they pop out of a grapple.

The pay to win aspect is actually pretty minimal. Endorsements are the biggest money sink (besides the purely aesthetic stuff) but also the least important. Products can make a more significant difference, but the default set is pretty decent for beginners. And you can win endorsements and products as end-game prizes. I've only purchased about 1/5 of my products with in-game currency, the rest were free.

The biggest thing by far is just getting familiar with a character or two. Your first couple of purchases should just be pros that you like, so you can play them when they're off rotation. I wish they would give a discount on everyone's first pro purchase, since being forced to play an unfamiliar pro is just about the worst thing for new players.

After playing MNC I was thinking "You know, I kinda wish this leaned a little more towards the DOTAish side of things." I played a bit in the SMNC invitational and found it a little too DOTAish. I'm just stupidly picky I guess, but you like what you like, what are ya gonna do.

usea

Some of the things about this game that are stupid:

1) You click Find Game. It asks you if you want to accept or decline a game that it tells you nothing about. If any of the 10 people you got matched with declines or is afk, it starts all over and then asks you to accept/decline again. Accept what? Seriously, I just clicked play, why would I decline? There's no information at all to base that decision on either. "Do you want to play this game we just found? I know you just clicked play, and I'm not telling you anything about this game, but I'd still like to know. Oh, and 75% chance you won't be able to play if you click accept, since somebody else will decline."

2) You can't join a game in progress. You can't quit a game and join a different one. If somebody leaves your game, a new person can't replace them.

3) You can't switch characters mid-game.

4) You inexplicably can't choose a character somebody else has chosen. This is made worse by the character selection method of "spam click and hope you get it first."

5) You can't put points into abilities while you're dead.

6) You can't move while the level up/ability menu is up.

Can you see the annihilator timer anywhere? Aside from listening to the announcers.

Can you change your products/outfit/whatever after choosing a character? If not, incredibly dumb since you have to lock in ASAP before somebody else takes the character.

Can you signal that you need healing?

1) You click Find Game. It asks you if you want to accept or decline a game that it tells you nothing about. If any of the 10 people you got matched with declines or is afk, it starts all over and then asks you to accept/decline again. Accept what? Seriously, I just clicked play, why would I decline? There's no information at all to base that decision on either. "Do you want to play this game we just found? I know you just clicked play, and I'm not telling you anything about this game, but I'd still like to know. Oh, and 75% chance you won't be able to play if you click accept, since somebody else will decline."

I think this is to prevent people from queuing up, going AFK, and getting matched into a game. It's kind of clunky right now. I doubt they will add any info about the match though, you aren't really supposed to be picking and choosing which matches you want to play.

2) You can't join a game in progress. You can't quit a game and join a different one. If somebody leaves your game, a new person can't replace them.

3) You can't switch characters mid-game.

4) You inexplicably can't choose a character somebody else has chosen. This is made worse by the character selection method of "spam click and hope you get it first."

This is all by design. Matches are intended to be 10-30 minutes between predetermined teams. They're trying to discourage leavers because they ruin the game for the other nine players. And team makeup matters -- building a balanced team at the start of the match is part of the strategy.

The no duplicate characters thing is something that they experimented with earlier in beta, and it was pretty unanimously decided that it plays better this way. Some characters can be really overpowered and unfun if there are multiples on a team.

Can you see the annihilator timer anywhere? Aside from listening to the announcers.

Only by looking at the actual annihilator button. On some maps you can also see the button from the map overview screen.

Can you change your products/outfit/whatever after choosing a character? If not, incredibly dumb since you have to lock in ASAP before somebody else takes the character.

You can change them, locking only locks your character.

Can you signal that you need healing?

There's a voice command for it, I can't remember the key offhand though. I think it's in the V key menu for me.

usea

I doubt they will add any info about the match though, you aren't really supposed to be picking and choosing which matches you want to play.
That's my point. You aren't supposed to be picking and choosing, but then they make you choose. It's dumb.

This is all by design. Matches are intended to be 10-30 minutes between predetermined teams. They're trying to discourage leavers because they ruin the game for the other nine players. And team makeup matters -- building a balanced team at the start of the match is part of the strategy.
I'd be willing to bet 95%+ of the players are not playing on a predetermined team. And yet the game is designed with those players as an afterthought. It's a terrible experience for them. They should just not allow you to solo queue at all if they make these kind of design decisions.

I'm sure that would go over well.

DarkKyo

You are nit-picking. You should have back-up pros bought/available that you know you're comfortable with playing if someone happens to choose your main pro. It's all about supporting the team with whatever role it needs most. Hopefully over time more public players will learn this and not everyone will need a pre-made team to do well. If you have 4-5 random players who are decent and get teamed up it's usually not a big deal(and you'll probably do pretty well) as everyone knows how to play more than one or two pros.

Also, if everyone could see the annihilator timer all the time it would take the benefits away from those who actually make an effort to pay attention to things on the map such as this. If you want the next annihilator you better watch the visual timer up top and get there before the announcers tell you it's almost ready. I have a friend who gets really frustrated with this game because it can be torturously confrontational and really difficult if you aren't keen on maintaining complete awareness of everything that's going on. I think it's just one of those games that isn't for everyone.

I actually like that nobody can choose a pro that's already been picked. It would be pretty dumb to see four captain sparks on your team fucking around. Noob players would just spam what they think is the coolest pro available.

usea

You are nit-picking. You should have back-up pros bought/available that you know you're comfortable with playing if someone happens to choose your main pro.
You can't do that until you've played the game a huge amount. Nobody new to the game will feel confident in several pros and have several bought. They'll be just trying to learn a single pro. You have to play as one over and over to get good with them. The way the game is set up makes it unreasonably difficult.

It's all about supporting the team with whatever role it needs most. Hopefully over time more public players will learn this and not everyone will need a pre-made team to do well. If you have 4-5 random players who are decent and get teamed up it's usually not a big deal(and you'll probably do pretty well) as everyone knows how to play more than one or two pros.
History has shown that unless the game dies down to have a small community of hardcore players, the 'public players' will never learn this. You will have a vast majority of players who do not play as if they were on an organized team. They want to contribute to the success, but not via coordination. This is not going to change.

Also, if everyone could see the annihilator timer all the time it would take the benefits away from those who actually make an effort to pay attention to things on the map such as this. If you want the next annihilator you better watch the visual timer up top and get there before the announcers tell you it's almost ready. I have a friend who gets really frustrated with this game because it can be torturously confrontational and really difficult if you aren't keen on maintaining complete awareness of everything that's going on. I think it's just one of those games that isn't for everyone.
This is a terrible argument. If you follow this logic, you might as well make the game as terse as possible, so that those players who go through the pains of accessing information are rewarded for it.

DarkKyo

You can't do that until you've played the game a huge amount. Nobody new to the game will feel confident in several pros and have several bought. They'll be just trying to learn a single pro. You have to play as one over and over to get good with them. The way the game is set up makes it unreasonably difficult.

Thankfully there's a practice mode and pros rotating weekly or bi-weekly so new players have all the time and chances in the world to practice any pro that they want to get good at.

History has shown that unless the game dies down to have a small community of hardcore players, the 'public players' will never learn this. You will have a vast majority of players who do not play as if they were on an organized team. They want to contribute to the success, but not via coordination. This is not going to change.

The thing I've noticed about the game is that while half of all players will cuss at you, berate you, and tell you to leave SMNC, the other half seem to be pretty helpful. I can't tell you how many times I've seen veteran players giving tips in the chat lobby or during games. I would argue that it's much more accessible and new player-friendly than something like LoL or DotA... especially since SMNC just got a massive influx of new players.

This is a terrible argument. If you follow this logic, you might as well make the game as terse as possible, so that those players who go through the pains of accessing information are rewarded for it.

Why not spell everything out for the player then and make it super generous and equalizing? If the idea is to make the game as easy and accessible as something like Mario Kart then I don't think it would have the usual hyper-competitive appeal that most MOBA games have.

usea

Why not spell everything out for the player then and make it super generous and equalizing? If the idea is to make the game as easy and accessible as something like Mario Kart then I don't think it would have the usual hyper-competitive appeal that most MOBA games have.
What do you mean "spell everything out"? How competitive a game can be is unrelated to information access. Chess has no hidden information and poker has mostly hidden information.

Making something tedious, confusing or inaccessible doesn't make a game better.

Tokubetsu

I can never play this game because its always got a 1+ GB update like every other day

It's every week but yes, it's fucking horrible, and they've been told as much but don't seem to care all that much/it isn't a priority. Which is shitty. Really shitty. So many little things add up to make the game a real pain in the ass to deal with. As I said earlier, the game should still be in closed beta.

DarkKyo

What do you mean "spell everything out"? How competitive a game can be is unrelated to information access. Chess has no hidden information and poker has mostly hidden information.

Making something tedious, confusing or inaccessible doesn't make a game better.

If you think it's confusing or tedious to make eye contact with a giant symbol(it's something you can even see from spots on the bottom floor too!) then I don't know what to say.

That's my point. You aren't supposed to be picking and choosing, but then they make you choose. It's dumb.
They don't make you choose -- you're always supposed to click accept. It's just there to make sure that you're still conscious.

I'd be willing to bet 95%+ of the players are not playing on a predetermined team. And yet the game is designed with those players as an afterthought. It's a terrible experience for them. They should just not allow you to solo queue at all if they make these kind of design decisions.
I meant predetermined as in assembled by the matchmaker before the match starts. Allowing players to hop around between matches at-will would completely break a lot of the mechanics. It's already frustrating enough when a teammate leaves mid-game, they don't need to encourage that even further.

What exactly do you find terrible about the solo queue experience? I usually group with a friend or two, but the solo queue has been fine when I've used it, especially now that matchmaking is working better.

DarkKyo

SMNC update just went up! 1,412.8 mb

Uber Entertainment said:
New Rules
Featured items are now listed on the main menu.
Reworked the Accept/Confirm game dialog to display over top of everything. Fixing the issues of not getting that dialog when a game is ready.
Quickmatch has been split into Solo, and Build Team for easier usability.
When a player taunts after killing someone, the dead player now sees the entirety of the taunt with a special taunt camera.
Custom Game menu now includes team-icon check boxes.
Custom Games can now be started with only 5 players.
Opposing player name plate level number is now orange if they are 2 levels higher than you.
Improved the look of the skill upgrade menu.
Added option to disable the control hints above the skill icons and on Juice.
GG Stack & Chip Valvano: Added Bot Streak call outs.
GG Stack now calls out some special events.
Invites now show the type of invite: "Game" or "Custom".
Selected Region UI is now more obvious.
Added new icons for all taunts.
Chickey Cantor now takes full damage while being grappled.

Bug Fixes

Fixed some instances of network interruptions causing players to get disconnected from the matchmaker but leave them looking like they are still in queue.
Fixed UI sometimes not resetting properly when leaving a Training game.
Fixed custom uniforms not working properly in Custom Class and Character Select screens when they have no torso as part of the uniform.
Fixed character select weapons list showing old data when you switch characters.
Fixed the rename/clear/save buttons not being enabled when you unlock a new product set.
Fixed "add to cart" sometimes not turning off on the boost screen.
Fixed the "Find Game" button cancelling with the enter key.
Fixed some rare instances of the Post-Game Prize screen from sometimes showing the incorrect item.
Fixed Post-Game Prize from not dropping everything it should.

Bundles
New Bundle: "Spunky 6 Pack" Pro Bundle of 6 non-MNC Pros. On sale for the first week!
New Bundle: Zombie Bundle. Includes all Zombie uniforms.

Products
Can't Stun This: Recharge time 60 -> 90.
Can't Slow This: Recharge time 60 -> 90.
Health Inverter: Vamp amount 0.1 -> 0.13
Health Inverter: Fixed description to reflect current numbers.
All Magnet: Check time 0.25 -> 0.5
All Magnet: Radius 512 -> 768
Massive Air: Minimum level 1 -> 6

Downtown Spunky Arena

Continued art improvements.

Bullet Gorge Arena

Fixed not being able to stand on certain curbs.

Bots

Fuji Bots: Now spawn in between Jackbots after 25 minutes.
Fuji Bots: Now drop a churro and a juice box instead of two juice boxes.
New explosion effect on Bot projectiles.
Bot lasers are now team colored.

Assassin

Leap: Improved visual effect
Shuriken Launcher: Explosive radius reduced.

Cheston

New Uniform: Bananas Monihan.

Megabeth

Shoot the Moon: Increased vertical height for improved escape utility.

This week's Free Pro Rotation: Assault, Combat Girl, Karl, Gunner, Tank, Wascot

Uriah

I hate that this game has a level-up system with the endorsements. I wish it was more like DOTA 2 where everything is reset every match.

Card Boy

Banned
Good ole 1.4 GB update. Uber must really want to drive their new players away.

Yep

I don't buy the Unreal Engine excuse since Tribes Ascend patches are as little as afew megabytes upto 450meg every 2 or 3 weeks. With an average of like 350meg. Even Dungeon Defenders patches are like 180 to 650 meg depending on what they are adding. With an average of 250 meg (but those devs love patching 3 times a day)

Wthermans

Banned
Yep

I don't buy the Unreal Engine excuse since Tribes Ascend patches are as little as afew megabytes upto 450meg every 2 or 3 weeks. With an average of like 350meg. Even Dungeon Defenders patches are like 180 to 650 meg depending on what they are adding. With an average of 250 meg (but those devs love patching 3 times a day)

Newest excuse

Ekanaut said:
We are making them smaller but to do that we had to move how we handle our files. The 1.4 gigs is the total size of the game which is down from 2.5 gigs it was before. Next patch should be smaller.

IIRC, the lowest patching ever went was ~800MB. It's been 1GB+ for the past 3-4 weeks. So we've basically been redownloading the game every week. They are saying next patch should be smaller, but they said that in the past and were wrong.

The passive perks are what I have a problem with. Someone has an advantage over me because they played the game more, not because they are better.

Doesn't help that someone with a single in-game level advantage does 10%+ more damage and has 10%+ more health than the other player. Uber loves their snowballs though.

Top Bottom