• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat |OT| Time to let loose with the juice!

Wthermans

Banned
Keeps the game from being a stalemate

I'm not sure turning the game into something where the majority of matches are determined in the first 5 minutes due to snowballing being a good solution to stalemates. Also, 26 minute jackbots are the real counter to stalemates.

WHat's the worst is that a few hundred people are already level 70+ with good endorsements because the beta was more or less an early release, there was no resets so they know the maps, what to do and who can do what best.

Then we come along and try stuff out, get snuffed and told to go uninstall and play in the street from them.

Really bad management for beta testing there IMO, not having a reset means that there is going to be a huge mix of players from great to poor.

Tokubetsu

Yep

I don't buy the Unreal Engine excuse since Tribes Ascend patches are as little as afew megabytes upto 450meg every 2 or 3 weeks. With an average of like 350meg. Even Dungeon Defenders patches are like 180 to 650 meg depending on what they are adding. With an average of 250 meg (but those devs love patching 3 times a day)

It's inexcusable at this point. The game can be a lot of fun when you're actually playing but Uber has hanlded pretty much every other aspect poorly. Very poorly.

DarkKyo

Uber said:
5vOuw.jpg
New Cheston outfit looks nice.

Wthermans

Banned
WHat's the worst is that a few hundred people are already level 70+ with good endorsements because the beta was more or less an early release, there was no resets so they know the maps, what to do and who can do what best.

Then we come along and try stuff out, get snuffed and told to go uninstall and play in the street from them.

Really bad management for beta testing there IMO, not having a reset means that there is going to be a huge mix of players from great to poor.

That's what happens when you start accepting cash purchases when your game is far from being done.

lol reading the update notes:

"When a player taunts after killing someone, the dead player now sees the entirety of the taunt with a special taunt camera."

This is welcomed, the game suits this kind of charm.

I feel like they'd get more business if they lowered the prices a little bit.

yep, half that price and you would see it used in games much more often.

Something a lot of companies seem to not realise, even uber :(

Wthermans

Banned
Isn't that pretty standard for MOBA style games?

It's a bad mechanic that's been derided in MOBAs for quite some time. Also, other MOBAs like DOTA have in-match item stores that provide these bonuses which requires some planning in order to maximize your character. SMNC provides passive bonuses (in addition to Skill Passives) for normal actions in the game which causes player experimentation to be penalized. There's a reason the game is most enjoyable during the first 5 and last 5 minutes (of long matches). The levels are even.

A well designed game ends quickly once one team is being dominated to the point of not being fun anymore. From my impressions SMNC missed on that one.

Tokubetsu

Man I would buy some cosmetic stuff if they weren't so expensive. $15 taunts and outfits are a big turnoff.

Yeah that's another one of my big gripes. Their pricing is absolutely ridiculous. The bundles don't even feel like a deal, they feel more like they're trying to fuck you HARDER.

What other game did they look to for inspiration with these prices? LoL & even Tribes Ascend are way more reasonable.

I think every F2P game that's gonna monetize conent like this should start with a baseline that says "Okay, if they drop 50-60 (say the price of a full retail game) in our store then they should a full game's worth of content" and then go from there, adding more content etc. $15-20 for a cosmetic item is ridiculous. You're not TF2, you didn't launch with a full game already behind the service and an item economy that was based on drop percentage & achievements.

DarkKyo

I'd say 50% of games for me are one-sided and the other 50% are either back-and-forth or consistently matched until one side breaks. I think it's actually gotten better since public release/new matchmaking.

Wthermans

Banned
I'd say 50% of games for me are one-sided and the other 50% are either back-and-forth or consistently matched until one side breaks. I think it's actually gotten better since public release/new matchmaking.

Out of 50 games since public release, I'd say I've had 5 that were even. The rest are usually over in the lobby or before the first Anni.

Just noticed wascot is free, nice wanted to test him out.

Going to be a spank fest week online with his grapples.

Best thing about Wascot: Hunting down CG, Megabeth and Assassin to spank. Especially Megabeth in her School Girl costume. Yum.

BurningNad

I was hoping I'd have enough coins before they did the next rotation, gotta go balls deep this weekend and unlock my Megabeth. <33333

Yea, I really want Megabeth and Gunslinger.

I hear gunslinger is good, cousin bought her but not tried myself. I have bought Tank but i'm not feeling him in this game, used to beast in MNC but here I get slapped silly no matter what I do.

Megabeth is just good overall, I like her but it feels like cheating lol but it is great fun using her weapon grapple to kick veteran off the map

DarkKyo

I was going through my inventory the other day and noticed I had this:
TR7tP.jpg

I never even saw it drop through the prize system!

6QFNB.jpg

Hnnngg so awesome

Tokubetsu

I hear gunslinger is good, cousin bought her but not tried myself. I have bought Tank but i'm not feeling him in this game, used to beast in MNC but here I get slapped silly no matter what I do.

Megabeth is just good overall, I like her but it feels like cheating lol but it is great fun using her weapon grapple to kick veteran off the map

Gunslinger can be pretty good, big thing that sucks is often I don't feel like I'm helping my team when I play her. High burst damage but you have to be accurate and consistent (headshots on both bots and players).

I was going through my inventory the other day and noticed I had this:
TR7tP.jpg

I never even saw it drop through the prize system!

6QFNB.jpg

Hnnngg so awesome

Oh fuck you =/

Wthermans

Banned
Gunslinger can be pretty good, big thing that sucks is often I don't feel like I'm helping my team when I play her. High burst damage but you have to be accurate and consistent (headshots on both bots and players).

Oh fuck you =/

As long as you're Knee Capping everyone that comes in range, you're helping your team.

DarkKyo

Oh fuck you =/
Hahaha, well to be fair I think it's only 1.99 in the store.. but still, it's nice to get something that isn't a useless level 1 endorsement or a product I'll never use. Never found a costume piece, they must be as rare as a cosmetic item dropping in TF2.

How come I can't change classes in the middle of matches like I could in vanilla MNC?

Also, I want to get better at this game, so tips and suggestions on being a better player is welcomed.

Tried out wascot this morning, hard as nails to use well but so fun especially grapple into spank on unsuspecting foes lol.

Gunner feels good, I like how when he mounts he still can't be grabbed and gives out an armour aura, nice deep clip and works well with the 80% accuracy perk.

Bought Megabeth with real monies, just had too.

I see snipers dominating like mad right now.

How come I can't change classes in the middle of matches like I could in vanilla MNC?

Also, I want to get better at this game, so tips and suggestions on being a better player is welcomed.

I guess that they just want you to stick with who you pick, I like it as if you set up wrong that is your punishment.

Tokubetsu

Tried out wascot this morning, hard as nails to use well but so fun especially grapple into spank on unsuspecting foes lol.

Gunner feels good, I like how when he mounts he still can't be grabbed and gives out an armour aura, nice deep clip and works well with the 80% accuracy perk.

Bought Megabeth with real monies, just had too.

I see snipers dominating like mad right now.

I guess that they just want you to stick with who you pick, I like it as if you set up wrong that is your punishment.

There was a useless sniper on my team last night. Total garbage. Fed the enemy team in the lane my friend and I were also in, and by the end of the game was something like 2-11 with 30ish bots killed. Useless.

We still won despite her but it was rough, someone on tour ended up doing this game's equivalent of backdooring while the enemy team was pushing us hard and fucking up our lanes/turrets.

There was a useless sniper on my team last night. Total garbage. Fed the enemy team in the lane my friend and I were also in, and by the end of the game was something like 2-11 with 30ish bots killed. Useless.

We still won despite her but it was rough, someone on tour ended up doing this game's equivalent of backdooring while the enemy team was pushing us hard and fucking up our lanes/turrets.

yeah it will vary, I can't do well with wascot but I see people top the boards with him somehow on the spunky city map.

Tokubetsu

yeah it will vary, I can't do well with wascot but I see people top the boards with him somehow on the spunky city map.

Yea, actually made a comment to my friend about Wascot last night. Wascot players are either fucking amazing, or totally useless. There's zero in-between.

Yea, actually made a comment to my friend about Wascot last night. Wascot players are either fucking amazing, or totally useless. There's zero in-between.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why that is. He seems to be more limited at escaping than the other commandos, so he really has to pick his fights wisely. That and he has a little less utility for taking out bots/turrets; all of his abilities are very player-focused.

NH Apache

Banned
Just played my best game yet :D Wonder if combat girl is going to get nerfed lol

Edit: nvm this is now xD

How do you upgrade? Kitty turrents first?

Gunner and combat girl are becoming my favorite characters. I would like to buy a couple characters, but hot damn it takes a ridiculous amount of play time to build up enough free credits for a 4500 characters, let alone 9000. Everything is overpriced. I don't mind paying LoL prices, but this is crazy.

Gunner is a BEAST with the 80% accuracy every 30 seconds perk, once you get a crit you are shooting lasers over the map, his armour regen while deployed is also amazing I just turn it on and off for a free 250 armour out of thin air.

UbuFw.gif

So what's the rewards for killing chicky?

full team heal + armour I believe, a few times I have been in a fight to suddenly get full hp while the announcers talk about chicky.

DarkKyo

Gunner is a BEAST with the 80% accuracy every 30 seconds perk, once you get a crit you are shooting lasers over the map, his armour regen while deployed is also amazing I just turn it on and off for a free 250 armour out of thin air.

full team heal + armour I believe, a few times I have been in a fight to suddenly get full hp while the announcers talk about chicky.

Also I think you get a bunch of money for it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh guess I should have me and another dude or 2 guys go kill chicky then :p

Yeah the 80% accuracy perk is so good that was the first present I got :3

My build for combat girl is, Sentry to 3, then max out sentry buff, max out lazer, max out health, max out damage, then sentry 4

Tokubetsu

Anyone know good ways to gain a lot of in-game money? I would like to play as the other characters that are locked.

Winning and playing a shit ton of games. That's how these games work. It's that idea that time is money, so you pick which one you want to use to purchase items. Your time, or your (actual) money?

Considering how big the leveling part is to the game, how would switching characters work?

If you lost all your levels, it would be useless as there's no way as character switch could make up for that.

If you kept some of your exp, considering how characters can have good/bad early/late games, that would really fuck with that balance.

DarkKyo

I bought my first character(Spark) after my first two matches and that was a couple months ago. Since then I've unlocked three other characters with in-game credits I've earned. I loved the game so I didn't mind throwing a little money to Uber.

Wthermans

Banned
I'm at 350 hours played and about 500 CC shy of unlocking my last Pro. Haven't spent a dime yet and doubt I will (have $7.50 from Beta that Uber gave at Christmas though). I haven't really bought any endos or products. Just stuff that I've gotten since the Prize system went live. Quite a few bacons, almost all Prods (all I need anyway), tons of lvl 3 & 4 endos, a taunt, and a skin. :)

usea

I bought my first character(Spark) after my first two matches and that was a couple months ago. Since then I've unlocked three other characters with in-game credits I've earned. I loved the game so I didn't mind throwing a little money to Uber.
I like spark a lot, but he's so expensive. I won't be able to buy him until I've played like 75 games. It's frustrating.

usea

Fuck this game. Seriously. Why even play something where you have to find for 10 hours just to choose a character? There is so much wrong with the design on every level. It's a horrible game. Done.

Top Bottom