• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Botanicula |OT| A Game by Jaromír Plachý and Amanita Design

Zia

fphvR.jpg

"Botanicula is a point'n'click exploration game created by the makers of award-winning Machinarium, studio Amanita Design and Czech band DVA. Five friends, little tree creatures, set out on a journey to save the last seed from their home tree which is infested by evil parasites."

Developer: Amanita Design
Director: Jaromír Plachý
Platform: PC, Mac and Linux
Genre: Point-and-click adventure
Price: $9.99 (GOG.com), Pay What You Want (The Humble Botanicula Debut)
Release Date: April 19, 2012

Videos:

Botanicula - Pre-release Trailer
Botanicula (teaser)
Botanicula at Cafe Nová syntéza

Reviews:

Giant Bomb Quick Look

John Walker (Rock, Paper, Shotgun):

There’s no question over whether you should play this. Your $10 will buy you a few hours of utter joy, and flipping heck, why wouldn’t you want that? It’s infectiously lovely, smartly inventive, and plastered happiness all over my face. And even my game-ignoring wife’s face, whom it was a pleasure to watch play. That’s a high compliment.

Kirk Hamilton (Kotaku):

There aren't all that many games that make me feel really, truly joyful. Botanicula is one of them.

Argh, this game. This game! It's basically a government-created smartbomb designed to deliver a payload of exuberant joie de vivre from your hard drive straight to your brain. Except it wasn't made in some government lab—it was made by actual people who put their actual selves into it. The result is a gorgeous, hilarious, endlessly creative, warm-hearted thing.

Edge:

Though it occasionally goes pear-shaped as an adventure game due to the stinginess of its feedback, Botanicula is never less than a breath of fresh air. Such a cheery fantasy in fact, it’s as if the Galápagos authorities have finally got around to opening a petting zoo.

Christian Donlan (Eurogamer):

All of which makes Botanicula another one of those weird little offerings that is as much a place as it is a game: an old tree filled with strange life, in which dazzling secrets lurk under every stone. Click!

dN9TZ.png

Feep

Banned
Downloading now! /excite

I wish Steam added duplicate copies of games into your Steam inventory for trading/gifting, but c'est la vie.

Berto

I played for about an hour. I'm loving it, it has a lot of heart and personality. It's more like Samorost than Machinarium, you click on random objects and each one does something, like i said a bit like Samorost. Art style and music is top notch.

This "puzzle" is fiendish!

iOxzEsB8lMYg4.jpg

Is it purely trial-and-error?

I'm charmed as fuck by the game, it's so out there and reminds me of Neverhood where you just click on stuff to see funny results. I love the musicality.

If someone could capture and gif the moment where you keep on clicking the grey blow horn creatures, the more they show up, and then the HUGE blow horn shows up to swallow you guys, I'd be most grateful!

commissar

I'm stuck.

It's a few hours into the game (about four areas in maybe?). It's the
underground
part with the
neural looking white orbs floating in space.
I can get to the far right of the screen after
bouncing over the orange creatures
, but while the arrow to go right highlights, it's unclickable.

Dunno where to go from here :S

epmode

I'd really like to see these guys go back to a more traditional adventure style since their first go at the genre did it better than just about everyone post-Lucasarts. Botanicula is still super-charming though!

Haunted

Disgustingly empty thread.

Got it with the Humble Bundle, too good a deal to pass up. It's definitely closer to their Samarost games than Machinarium (which I personally enjoyed more), and compared to those it's a clear evolution in style and polish. Great looking stuff.

DaFish

Oh hi, enjoying game so far. Music is nice too

Edit: okay I was enjoying the game untill

The "bacteria" level with the 4 floating thingys (3 small 1 large). I don't really want help, just wondering if anyone else if having trouble getting the key on this one too?

okay got it....

Shawsie64

Banned
Almost finished Machinarium on my ipad.. Bought it on steam ages ago but couldnt get into it, now Its one of my favorite games.. Bought the bundle this morning, cant wait to play it tonight.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is it a limitation of the engine that they use that it can't go fullscreen 1080p? You'd think they'd be on that stuff by now.

Zimbardo

there's a part with a bunch of round sheep covering an object. i'm assuming i have to click and drag them off?

anytime i try to click and drag them off, i'm lucky if they even move at all.

is there a trick to this or is the game busted somehow? its really weird ...the game was great up till now.

edit: i did it ...really had to move the mouse around in order to get them off.

Nert

This game was completely off my radar until about half an hour ago, but I couldn't resist the generosity of the developers releasing it in a bundle. I'll definitely check it out tomorrow and post some impressions.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Buying the humble bundle after work today (I am also looking forward to trying Machinarium and Samorost)... but this is the star of the show for me. Very great graphic style and interesting premise. Will be nice to play when I get bored of XB.

Berto

I'm having a great time with Botanicula, however i did have some issues with a particular puzzle. It's something present in all Amanita's games. Sometimes i don't know that it's possible to do some actions and mouse movements. In one puzzle i got stuck for a while because i had no ideia i had to
shake a pepper jar
, the game never told me i could do that. Other than that it's great, it's like a bigger and more refined Samorost.

Rufus

Okay, the bit with the red ball is driving me insane. I somehow managed to bounce it near one of the openings to knock the key to the next one. I cannot replicate that for the life of me.

Nert

I've only played this for about half an hour, but I'm already really impressed. The characters and their clever animations are really endearing (Mr. Twig is a total badass). I also love how just mousing over different things is enough to interact with some of them, often resulting in some great ambient noises. The soundtrack is no slouch either.

I will definitely keep playing this despite my usual indifference to the adventure genre. Hopefully more people will be willing to give this a shot.

Tenck

Okay, the bit with the red ball is driving me insane. I somehow managed to bounce it near one of the openings to knock the key to the next one. I cannot replicate that for the life of me.

Have to slowly move your mouse underneath it. Was driving me insane too because I thought I have to plug the air holes with those little round things with eyes. Almost did a face palm when I finally got it.

Some of the puzzles are tough because you have no idea what to do, but as long as you just keep messing around with them you'll find the answer.

kami_sama

For the red ball puzzle, if you set the windows size to 60%, it works flawlessly. I also got stuck for almost half an hour.

I played about an hour this evening. My goodness is it gorgeous. I was in a slightly bad mood earlier, but this just made me smile. The animations, the characters, the setting....everything is amazing.

commissar

Finished it this evening. Loved it. So much charm. The little "yoohoo" is so satisfying :)

I got 112/123 I know of two I missed because I didn't go back to get them but the others are a mystery.

Misguided

Banned
My backlog consists of this and pretty much a bunch of other adventure games...(Machinarium, Samarost 2, Sword and Sworcery EP, Myst, Riven...)

Berto

Finished today. I loved it, Amanita is now one of my favourite developers, Machinarium and Botanicula are both god tier games.

Rufus

For the red ball puzzle, if you set the windows size to 60%, it works flawlessly. I also got stuck for almost half an hour.
Yeah, assumed the same thing and I think that's what made it work finally. The red ball just wouldn't react to my mouse at all, so I thought I had to use the other balls to bounce it around, but those were near impossible to control, so I had a bit of a fit there...

Finished the game yesterday. Cute experience all around. I loved the cheery music.

HoosTrax

I'm having a really hard time getting those cherry creatures to hop into the inverted trumpet. I can get them to launch horizontally a decent distance, but not so much vertically.

edit: nvm, finally got it

Utako

Banned
I really wish these guys would start doing their stuff in HTML5. It's the natural route for a Flash developer.

Berto

So is this as good as Machinarium then? I am currently playing that for the first time and enjoying it quite a bit!
It's as good, but i prefered Machinarium. Machinarium is a traditional point and click adventure, Botanicula is like Samorost, it's point and click but with that Amanita Design twist. I like how opposite both games are, Machinarium is thematically mechanic, Botanicula is organic. Like two sides of a coin.

tsab

can somebody give me a save file right after collecting all
14 chicken
? or right before will do too.
I lost my save unfortunately :(

Top Bottom