• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who has disappointed you this gen?

MercuryLS

Banned
This can be anyone, MS, Sony, Nintendo, developers.

Microsoft:
Nickel and Dime taken to new extremes ($100 Wifi adaptor, proprietary HDDs) and RROD.

Sony:
Sony still doesn't really "get" the software and services side of the business. Many seemingly simple things to do on PS3 are a fucking chore. I thought they would really step it up this gen, they didn't.

Nintendo:
Too much to name.

Kojima Productions:
Complete fail this gen, MGS4 was terrible and there hasn't been much else from them other than compilations. Metal Gear Rising has been in development hell and is only now looking better thanks to Platinum Games.

Team ICO:
Bought a PS3 for their next game....that may never come.

Capcom/Namco:
So many anti-consumer actions that I have completely stopped buying either of their titles.

KillGore

Nintendo has disappointed me mostly throughout this gen (not on DS though, just Wii)

Microsoft was doing great in the first few years but now they are disappointing me

Sony disappointed me in the first few years but they redeemed themselves (PS3)

Penguin

Hmm.. I guess no one really

I.. don't like some of the nickel and dime-ing policies but have just avoided the companies/games.

And I've enjoyed a great deal of games I've played this gen

This thread will be fun...

As for me, I think SEGA's output hasn't been as good as last gen.

Last gen, they had two Space Channel 5s, two Crazy Taxis, two Jet Set Radios, two Shenmues, two Sonic Adventures, F-Zero GX and AX, Samba De Amigo, Chu Chu Rocket, House of the Dead 2 and 3, two Yakuzas, all of which appeal greatly to me, and are mostly new franchises.

This gen, it seems they didn't have nearly as much as that...

Bro gamers:

Their insistence on playing only COD/Madden/Shootan Gaems was tolerable, until it started affecting the entire goddamn market.

Orayn

Virtually everyone.

You want variety in genres? You want depth? You want interesting mechanics? FUCK YOU! Have some generic shooters. In fact, have dozens and dozens of them! We're even going to sacrifice good devs on the altar of AAA bullshit!

Kids, this world is crap. Please escape into space and blow up this shit planet behind you.

DTKT

ME3 and Diablo3.

Don't get me wrong. Diablo 3 is a good game. But it didn't try anything new or fantastic. It's a good dungeon crawler with a terrible story. It reminds me a lot of SCII. Blizzard are the masters of polish and are the best at their craft, but damn, I wish they would try something new for once.

Himself

For supporting these companies bullshit practices? I would have to agree with you on that.

More or less. Not to undermine the more focused points in your OP, but peoples' buying habits are what encourages the shitty practices you outlined in the OP.

legacyzero

Banned
Publishers.

Namely EA and Activision.

Maybe one of these days, both of these companies will realize how evil they are and actually try to turn that around.

I could have sworn that EA was trying to do that, then came Origin.

You want variety in genres? You want depth? You want interesting mechanics? FUCK YOU! Have some generic shooters. In fact, have dozens and dozens of them! We're even going to sacrifice good devs on the altar of AAA bullshit!

Kids, this world is crap. Please escape into space and blow up this shit planet behind you.

Pretty much.

Just leave me alone, I don't want your goddamn ,,cinematic'' games, they're the complete opposite of the reasons I have this hobby.

Square. Not the Enix side. I love Dragon Quest now but I'm starting to hate the direction Final Fantasy is going. Just give me my Theathrhythm and we can forget this series ever existed.

Man

It has been a long generation. In 2005 it was semi-hard to find 720p televisions and today we have platforms like iOS, Netflix, pre-purchase/download etc etc.

The death of Team Silent Hill is my biggest disappointment.

dyergram

Thq :
*No good wrestling games incapable of even putting the n64 games on xbla -really?
*squandering red faction guerilla
*wasting god knows how much on u draw
*killing or rather mortally wounding devils third.

Microsoft:
From king of the first party to smug self back patting and kinect.

Linkhero1

A lot of them have disappointed me, but I've never felt more disappointed with a company more than I have with Capcom.

Failed to localized AAI2 and canceled Legends 3. How can you not be disappointed in them?

Izick

ikd4DSnXtxzAt.gif

Haunted

Square-Enix' for pooping out FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXIII-2 and never pooping out Versus XIII.
Polyphony for underdelivering.
Team Ueda for not delivering at all and sacking Ueda.
Volition for fucking up a super promising GOTY franchise.

I'm sure plenty of others have mentioned and will mention the various anti-consumer practices so many gamers endure happily bend over for from Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft, Blizzard and pretty much anyone else who does the shitty DLC or draconian DRM dance.

While both Activision and EA are obviously being close to the top of shittiest companies this generation (except for EA Partners <3), they don't deserve a spot here because their shittiness is par for the course, thus no disappointment.

For me personally I'd say Sony. Particularly with how their me too approach this gen following MSFT and Nintendo. Multiple Sku's, Plus, Move, etc,. Even if they had patents for move tech before Nintendo it doesn't matter they never pulled the trigger. Plus to me was tacked on after hearing about all the revenue MSFT was getting off live and they wanted a piece of that pie. I just felt like they never really pioneered anything this gen.

I do feel however that Sony has put the right pieces in place to get back to doing what they do best and I think Kaz is the right man for the job. Out of all 3 I'm the most excited for the prospect of what Sony can bring to the table.

Bit dramatic. I've been gaming since pong and though there is loads upon loads of garbage there is also tons of gems. This gen has been pretty great if you know how to ignore the mass produced garbage. Much like how I have been dealing with music, movies, television for a very long time. Gaming has just gotten to that point now.

In regards to this thread. I blame developers for chasing CoD money. I don't blame the people who buy and enjoy CoD that's their money and their choice. But not every game has to go on and sell 10 million copies to be profitable.

Microsoft has been the biggest disappointment this generation. They absolutely screwed the consumer with WiFi adapter and hard drive prices. They raised the price of Xbox Live when their competitors don't charge a dime to play online. They shut down or chased away developers. Over the past two years, they seemed to be more concerned with chasing after exclusive apps to feature on their machine and Kinect. The RRoD was also a huge fuck up. The 360's existence has completely turned me off on the Xbox brand altogether.

evangd007

I think Valve and Blizzard are the only ones who have not disappointed me in some way. Nintendo would be on that list if not for the North American localization BS.

But I'm most disappointed in Ubisoft, Activision, and EA for promoting the hit-driven, go big or home strategy in an effort to drive out all other competition through sheer force of money. Instead, they nearly priced themselves out of the industry, promoted low risk amongst publishers, and left the carcasses of numerous great development houses in the wake.

Bgamer90

Banned
Sony. I was a big fan of the PS1/PS2 but Sony's attitude and decisions during the start of this gen left a bad taste in my mouth. Even though the taste has gone down as time has passed, the taste is still in my mouth 5-6 years later.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Bioware (ME2+3, DA2), Rockstar for GTA4.

Blizzard for casual-ization of WoW.

Nintendo for getting into patches way too late.

Protome

Kojima's studio, definitely.
How do you make a masterpiece like MGS3 and then go on to make something as bad MGS4?!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bioware (ME2, DA2) and Japan (everything software related is just so... inferior, I don't know if it's because of their producers, management or what).

Ein Bear

Microsoft, easily. It's like they find the fact that the 360 has to actually play games to be a massive inconvenience.

Yes it's all very clever that you can watch TV shows and listen to music and Facebook and Skype and blah blah blah, but the thing's a fucking games console, and maybe you should work on more stuff than just Halo and Fable.

Atomski

Maybe ignore them and play some awesome indie games.....? I feel like theres plenty of variety this gen everyone is just slobering over these over budgeted AAA shooters instead of all the awesome little indie games.

Hell there has been more great 2D platformers this gen thanks to low budget studios than the last gen of consoles. 2D was almost dead last gen...

Omega

Banned
Team ICO:
Bought a PS3 for their next game....that may never come.

Capcom/Namco:
So many anti-consumer actions that I have completely stopped buying either of their titles.

I don't wanna be a dick but that's your fault. Why wouldn't you just wait until the game was actually set to come out? I mean more than just Sony saying "omg guize look at this cool game we have"

What has Namco done? Never really paid attention to them because I never liked any of their games other than Tekken.

For me, it would be:

1. Zipper
2. Sony
3. BioWare*

Zipper because Socom 1 and 2 were probably the best multiplayer games on consoles last generation. Even though 3 and Combined Assault weren't held in such high regard, they were still good games. Turn to this gen, MAG was awful and SOCOM 4 was worse than Confrontation. Everyone was hyped for a real SOCOM from Zipper and what we got was shit.

Sony is there for their complete mismanagement for what I assume was them trying too hard to get a flagship title like Halo. They made exclusive shooter after exclusive shooter in attempts to get Halo numbers instead of just sticking to what made them sell 100 million consoles for PS1 and PS2. There was also the rumors that they could have gotten games like Assassins Creed to be exclusive but turned it down. They were too arrogant and thought developers should just kneel down before them because they were the almighty Sony.

Didn't play a BioWare game before this gen but ME was cool and then for some reason they decided to not continue with an action RPG and instead go with a full on third person shooter so in a way they let me down, but it's not like I had expectations coming into this gen .

Microsoft has been the biggest disappointment this generation. They absolutely screwed the consumer with WiFi adapter and hard drive prices. They raised the price of Xbox Live when their competitors don't charge a dime to play online. They shut down or chased away developers. Over the past two years, they seemed to be more concerned with chasing after exclusive apps to feature on their machine and Kinect. The RRoD was also a huge fuck up. The 360's existence has completely turned me off on the Xbox brand altogether.

As a PC gamer first and foremost a lot of things they did this gen are reminiscent to how they treated PC gaming at one time or another.

Top Bottom