• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you think about it, M Night Shyamalan has an incredible body of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget about the Six Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, and the Village are really amazing movies on their own.

Any Director would be blessed to have one of those movies under their belt. Don't sleep on The Village, it has some great acting in it by Joaquin Phoenix, and Adrian Brody. Please don't get me wrong M. Night has been a disgrace as of late, but early on he really did have something. I think Unbreakable is my favorite super hero movie of all time.

signs023_disk2.jpg

unbreakable.jpg

the-village-2.jpg

Fry

The Sixth Sense and Signs are classics. The rest is from average to fucking garbage. Unbreakable is ok.

Revenant

Incredible....really? That's the word you're gonna go with? 2 decent movies doesn't seem like an incredible body of work to me

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The Village was so bad. So much just didn't make sense.

I like Signs and Unbreakable. Sixth Sense is okay.

therapist

LOL

The village was probably the worst movie ive ever seen.

I enjoyed the sixth sense and unbreakable , the rest range from forgettable to trash.

I never really liked Unbreakable, but enjoyed Lady in the Water more than most too so ...

Sixth Sense, Signs & The Villiage are his best. Everything is else is OK to meh with the exception of The Happening. Which is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
(still haven't seen The Last Airbender though.)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Incredible....really? That's the word you're gonna go with? 2 decent movies doesn't seem like an incredible body of work to me
Is incredible that someone who has produced such shitty movies still gets projects. Give credit where credit is due.

jtb

Banned
if you take any of those first... four (I'll be generous) movies independently and it didnt' have the M Night name on it - they'd be much more tolerable because it seems far less hackneyed when you don't go in expecting some kind of contrived twist. sadly, put those four together and you get a one trick pony who is a horrifically awful screenwriter.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Forget about the Six Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, and the Village are really amazing movies on their own.

What in the...in what world is The Village a good movie? That was the only movie in the history of movies where I felt entirely justified "spoiling" the ending for everyone so people wouldn't waste their time with it like I had.

I'm not that guy at all...but that movie was such a steaming pile that it deserved nothing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sixth sense and unbreakable were decent movies, sure. the village and signs were both pretty bad.

the lady in the water is by far the worst movie i have ever seen.

Tucah

you speak so well
Your argument is flawed by calling The Village amazing. Is it an unwatchable abortion like The Happening or The Last Airbender? No. But it's still not a good movie.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I still love The Happening...

people will never understand my love for this movie. They just never will.

Revenant

Is incredible that someone who has produced such shitty movies still gets projects. Give credit where credit is due.

That I can agree with with the budget for the happening and TLA being over 100 mil each..

What exec deemed it a good idea to give a movie about killer plants such a pedestal. Just watch little shop of horrors if you want that. Much better!

noah111

Still Alive
I still love The Happening...
people will never understand my love for this movie. They just never will.
Please be joking. I really wanted to like it, I even stupidly bought it and watched it with friends. But it was truly atrociously bad. I couldn't believe this is what I was telling them was an awesome movie.

I remembered the ads for it and that was all I had to go off of, apparently.

I think hes competent but fell victim to his own success. Sixth Sense was so sensational for "the twist" that suddenly he felt (or was expected to?) put some crazy twist in each of his movies and most of the time it just doesn't work out ranging from dumb (Signs) to feeling forced (Lady in the Water).

I'll never understand why Signs is given so much praise. The plot is devoid of any fallacy of logic, the twist is one of the stupidest in cinema history (and makes the aliens look even more stupid and nonthreatening), and it's outclassed by hundreds of superior movies in regards to suspense and horror.

Esch

Banned
obligatory

040723_MNightShyamalan_bcol_2p.widec.jpg

signs is a terrible movie, aliens with enough technology for intergalactic trouble fail to do the research necessary to realize they're invading a planet they are 75% allergic to

I'll never understand why Signs is given so much praise. The plot is devoid of any fallacy of logic, the twist is one of the stupidest in cinema history (and makes the aliens look even more stupid and nonthreatening), and it's outclassed by hundreds of superior movies in regards to suspense and horror.

The suspense and reveal of the aliens was really well done its just the internal logic completely falls apart at the slightest bit of consideration

I think hes competent but fell victim to his own success. Sixth Sense was so sensational for "the twist" that suddenly he felt (or was expected to?) put some crazy twist in each of his movies and most of the time it just doesn't work out ranging from dumb (Signs) to feeling forced (Lady in the Water).

This is sadly true. I could not finish TLAB, or the Happening, or Lady in the water. They were some of the worst movies I have ever seen. Made me wonder what happened to this guy.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Please be joking. I really wanted to like it, I even stupidly bought it and watched it with friends. But it was truly atrociously bad. I couldn't believe this is what I was telling them was an awesome movie.

I remembered the ads for it and that was all I had to go off of, apparently.

I rarely joke. I genuinely enjoy and love The Happening.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I like a bunch of his movies.

I haven't seen the Airbender movie but Signs, Unbreakable, Village and Sixth Sense are enjoyable. I'm 50/50 on Lady in the Water and did not like the Happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom