• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK 3DS XL Price Roundup

Rich!

With the 3DS XL launch less than two weeks away, thought it'd be a good idea to list the various prices and deals around the high street and web.

BEST DEALS

Sainsbury's Entertainment http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/home.html

£161 with voucher code SETENJ12, if you're a new account user. Free delivery.

Amazon Italy https://www.amazon.it/?tag=

£148 basic price. With standard shipping to the UK, it's £153 and with fast two day shipping it's £161.

Zavvi http://www.zavvi.com

£167.95 basic price, free shipping.

The Hut http://www.thehut.com

£167.95 basic price, free shipping.

"DEALS" THAT AREN'T REALLY DEALS AT ALL

Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/?tag=

£174.99, basic price. Free shipping, first day for PRIME users.

GAME/Gamestation

£174.99 basic price, free delivery.

Toys R Us http://www.toysrus.co.uk

£177

Blockbuster Online AND retail stores

£179.99, free delivery

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS SHIT

GAME, Gamestation Retail Stores

£199.99.

Rich!

What are the best Trade-In deals for a regular 3DS against an XL?

GAME's is actually pretty good.

£79.99 for the XL after you trade in your 3DS. Problem is, you miss out on the chance to transfer all of your eShop titles and content over.

Other alternative is CEX offer £69.99 cash for a boxed 3DS right now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ladies and gentleman, do you want to understand why retail market is collapsing? Here's an hint.

LOL PRICES

GAME, Gamestation, Blockbuster, HMV, Tesco Retail Stores

£199.99.

This is STUPID. And it's all GAME & co. fault. :p

123rl

I will probably get one from amazon Italy.

What are the best Trade-In deals for a regular 3DS against an XL? Can't afford to buy one outright.
Remember the 3DS XL doesn't come with a charger (lol). You'll need to find one somewhere or use the one from your 3ds.

ksimm

Ladies and gentleman, do you want to understand why retail market is collapsing? Here's an hint.

This is STUPID. And it's all GAME & co. fault. :p

Don't forget your paying that £24.01 premium over the online price for their friendly customer focused staff to flog you that extra £19.99 Dock and PSU, plus a copy of Imagine Babies DS £29.99. All for an amazing bundle price of 249.99 (2 extra pence for the lols).

dc89

I know it's not XL but I had to share this, the other day Zavvi had the Ice White 3DS at £124. I was so tempted to use the 10% off voucher they sent me, they are now out of stock but I emailed and they are due more in soon.

Hobohodo

£79.99 for the XL after you trade in your 3DS. Problem is, you miss out on the chance to transfer all of your eShop titles and content over.

They are actually offering this deal retroactively as well. So you can buy the 3DS XL out right and then take your old 3DS later for £120 store credit. Guess its alright of you know your gonna use it but it seems a bit pointless otherwise.

On the subject of transferring, the launch document for GAME/gamestation for the 3DS XL claims that users can deactivate their account on the normal 3DS, then buy the XL and reactivate the account to download all the stuff again. lol

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The problem with trading in at GAME is that regular eShop customers will need about 20 minutes to transfer all their content over.

I doubt they'd allow you to make the trade, and then let you have your old 3DS back to do the transfer in-store.

Plus, you'd need an internet connection there... it's not entirely convenient. and it might be easier to just buy an XL outright, and trade the original 3DS in later.

123rl

Buy a cheap usb-3ds charger from amazon. only a quid.

I went one better and got the official dock and charger for £5 from Game. It was the last one in the store during a sale. I bought it about three days before they started preorders and probably realised the 3ds doesn't come with a charger. I bet the price has been hiked up now

pootle

Amazon Italy https://www.amazon.it/?tag=

£148 basic price. With standard shipping to the UK, it's £153 and with fast two day shipping it's £161.

Could you get hit with 20% VAT when it enters the UK or is it like the companies being based in Jersey so you get away with it?

It's happened to me importing from Japan and the US but never from the EU.

£161 at Sainsburys sounds like a great deal.

I was prepared to see some good UK price wars but at the rate this is going MM or Saturn here in Germany are probably my best choice.

So, in short, the cheapest place for Brits to buy a 3DS XL is Italy.

Brilliant.
Well seeing that the cheapest place for Germans to buy anything gaming related is usually the UK/channel islands I don't see it as a big deal.

They are actually offering this deal retroactively as well. So you can buy the 3DS XL out right and then take your old 3DS later for £120 store credit. Guess its alright of you know your gonna use it but it seems a bit pointless otherwise.
Thanks for that! Do you know how much they're selling the console for in store? Is it ~£180 inc charger like on their website?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Could you going to get hit with 20% VAT when it enters the UK or is it like the companies being based in Jersey so you get away with it?

It's happened to me importing from Japan and the US but never from the EU.

£161 at Sainsburys sounds like a great deal.

never happened to me when ordering Blurays from there

Hobohodo

Thanks for that! Do you know how much they're selling the console for in store? Is it ~£180 inc charger like on their website?

I assumed it was £200 going from the OP hence saying you would get £120 credit back later, as it it is say only £180 you will only get £100 credit back later. Thinking about it now though I'm sure the document said that we would have bundles and prices finalised by Monday, I'm back in on Tuesday so I'll check everything out then and post my findings here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That trade in offer isn't bad. If you take an average £170 price, they're offering you £90 trade in for the 3DS. If you take their lol price of £199, they're offering you £120 trade in. I was tempted to keep the 3DS and hand it down to the kids, but might do this instead if gamestation will let me trade in later. Credit will easily be used on WiiU later in the year

I assumed it was £200 going from the OP hence saying you would get £120 credit back later, as it it is say only £180 you will only get £100 credit back later. Thinking about it now though I'm sure the document said that we would have bundles and prices finalised by Monday, I'm back in on Tuesday so I'll check everything out then and post my findings here.
Thanks for that! I'll be shopping around next week.

Rich!

Quick update, Blockbuster have confirmed to me that they're launching it on Friday 27th July in retail stores, the day before the official launch. 3DS trade in is £70 credit and due to their customer account system, a lot of managers would be cool with you taking both consoles home, leaving the £70 remaining balance on your Blockbuster account so you can transfer the content over at home, before bringing your 3DS back in to trade in and clear your BB account.

On the subject of transferring, the launch document for GAME/gamestation for the 3DS XL claims that users can deactivate their account on the normal 3DS, then buy the XL and reactivate the account to download all the stuff again. lol

oh my god

absolute fucking lying bastards.

AngryMoth

Argh, I can quite easily afford one, I just hate spending money at the moment as I'm saving to go travelling. The library is there though now and the future should be pretty good as well, I will have to buy one at some point. VERY tempting at ~£160. What is the online store situation like, are most retail games available (Nintendo ones specifically)? Just pricing up games on amazon, disappointing to see most of them are £30. Handheld games really are too expensive. Is there anywhere you can get good deals, this might be the deciding factor, don't want to end up dropping an additional £90 on games. Also lol at Game/Gamestation.

test_account

XP-39C²
At the store? That makes sense at least.

Mafro

GAME's is actually pretty good.

Other alternative is CEX offer £69.99 cash for a boxed 3DS right now.
I'd be all over this deal if Nintendo actually had a decent account based system, No way I'm losing my purchased and GBA ambassador games.

OMG Aero

Except this isn't how Nintendo's transfer system works at all.
You need to connect both systems to each other to transfer your account and data across. You can't just deactivate one 3DS and log into an account on another.

Rich!

That's not what they're saying.

If you followed GAME's advice, you'd lose ALL your content and games, and because they format all consoles at trade in, you'd never ever get them back.

Its downright disgusting that they're basically lying to customers in such a way, purely to encourage trade ins.

The only way to transfer and keep your content is to have both consoles connected to the internet online via WiFi, and both in the same room. You cannot do that at GAME. The process takes about half an hour too - its not quick.

test_account

XP-39C²
Except this isn't how Nintendo's transfer system works at all.
You need to connect both systems to each other to transfer your account and data across. You can't just deactivate one 3DS and log into an account on another.
That's not what they're saying.

If you followed GAME's advice, you'd lose ALL your content and games, and because they format all consoles at trade in, you'd never ever get them back.

Its downright disgusting that they're basically lying to customers in such a way, purely to encourage trade ins.

The only way to transfer and keep your content is to have both consoles connected to the internet online via WiFi, and both in the same room. You cannot do that at GAME. The process takes about half an hour too - its not quick.
Yep, the way it is written, it is misinformation indeed. I just mean that this transfer process might be done at their store. I'm pretty sure that they have WiFi there, so it is a service that they could provide if they want to.

Rich!

Yep, the way it is written, it is misinformation indeed. I just mean that this transfer process might be done at their store. I'm pretty sure that they have WiFi there, so it is a service that they could provide if they want to.

They won't. I asked yesterday.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Text my mum about the Italy and Sainsburys offers, she didn't want a 3DS because she couldn't use the 3D and the screens were small compared to her DSI XL, she seems to have come around to the 3DS XL and the fact that she has run out of DS layton games.

She was thinking about trading in her DSI XL at game, but from memory they wouldn't give us a solid number on what she could get trading one in for the other, then there is the copying her games over too which could be problematic if it didn't work properly and she had already sold her DSI XL.

Wait, we can legitly buy from Amazon Italy? What about customs?
There is a law in Europe that allows free trade. So yeah I think you can buy whatever. I still think you're responsible for customs though. Part of the reason why they can't refuse sale of cheap Polish keys for games.

Not UK related but it looks like the DS is being priced to clear.

Yesterday in Spain I picked up a brand new Black DS Lite for only 59.99€ in the Eroski supermarket.

123rl

AC Adapter not included - it must be bought separately.

A big year for the Nintendo 3DS system is about to get even bigger. In a Nintendo Direct video on June 22nd, Nintendo revealed plans to launch Nintendo 3DS XL, a new version of Nintendo 3DS with 90 percent larger screens. When it becomes available across Europe on July 28th, the new system will create even more immersive entertainment experiences for users, delivering a wealth of games and video content that can be enjoyed on the go.

Nintendo 3DS XL features an updated form factor and will be available in three colours:
Silver + Black
Red + Black
Blue + Black.

The new system’s battery life outperforms that of the original Nintendo 3DS, and it comes bundled with a 4 GB SD card, which owners can use to store content such as downloadable games and videos from the Nintendo eShop. With upcoming titles such as New Super Mario Bros. 2 (launching 17th August) being available as digital downloads as well as boxed retail games you will be glad of the extra space.

Even with the addition of the bigger screen, Nintendo’s aim was to still make the system available at a reasonable purchase price. Because of this, and because so many fans already own a previous handheld, an AC adapter will not be included.

"Nintendo almost had a good thing going here but knew they had to do something to fuck you over in some way. So you need to buy a charger if you want to actually use this thing. Nintendo hate you"

Polk

There is a law in Europe that allows free trade. So yeah I think you can buy whatever. I still think you're responsible for customs though. Part of the reason why they can't refuse sale of cheap Polish keys for games.
Not really. There is no customs within EU.

Top Bottom