• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laughing Jackal blog post on Playstation Minis

Pranay

thought it was worth a thread . it was posted in one of the threads i think in some other related thread.

nice to see how these guys went from developing minis and with the revenue they were able to make a full fledged psn game on the ps3

Also their 9 games combined = approaching 1 million downloads

There’s been lots of interesting media discussion around PlayStation Minis recently which seems to have been kicked off by the guys over at FuturLab. So I thought this would be an opportune time to stick our oar in and talk about our experiences on the Minis platform.

Unlike many developers we actually came to Minis via the world of boxed games. Our first two releases, Road to Vegas (DS) and Mary King’s Riding School (Wii) were released by our sister companies Midas & Ghostlight for whom we have also been involved with several localisations. Details of which can be found on our games page.

From a technical standpoint Minis have been a great route into self publishing as it has given us the opportunity to learn about the complexities of publishing on console, but in a slightly more relaxed atmosphere. Of course making your games available for people to buy is only one part of self publishing. Being on PlayStation Minis has also given us the opportunity to learn about promotion of our games whilst receiving great marketing support from the platform holder itself.

While it’s possible to drop off the radar soon after release on some platforms, the support from Sony combined with their structuring of updates means that all Minis draw attention in the approach to and upon release. This guarantees us an opportunity to build some serious word of mouth marketing.

Furthermore the Minis programme has allowed us to build a stronger relationship with Sony. With help from our account manager (thanks Neil ) we have been able to make several games part of the PS+ programme leading to many gamers playing our products who might not otherwise have done so. This has then lead to gamers investigating some of our other products which has ultimately pushed our company’s sales further. Minis have also given us the opportunity to have our games published in territories outside of Europe, Australia and New Zealand as we’ve now had games published in both North America & Asia. Lastly, the success of our Minis has paved the way for us to take the next big step in publishing our own full PS3 titles on PSN. Last year we released our first PS3 title on PSN, the mighty Cubixx HD, which was in fact the sequel to one of our earlier Minis, Cubixx. We’re now hard at work on another full priced PSN title, the infamous “Mystery Game X.”

The smaller size of PlayStation minis have given us a chance to experiment creatively which has lead to some of our most critically successful Minis. For example, OMG-Z, which is not only in the top ten PSP games of all time but the highest rated Mini according to Metacritic, and Hungry Giraffe which was the first Mini to get 10 out of 10 in Official PlayStation Magazine UK. Since the projects are relatively small, we’ve been able to create and experiment with games in many different genres which has helped us grow as a company and develop our very own Laughing Jackal style of gaming.

Our Minis have also been successful in terms of raw numbers. At this point in time we are approaching 1 million PSN downloads worldwide. While at this point we are moving away from Minis with a full PSN title in development (among other things), they are certainly not something we regret getting involved in and have given us a great start as a developer.

http://www.laughingjackal.co.uk/pos...al_blog+(Laughing+Jackal+Blog+-+Latest+Posts)

I'm constantly surprised at how well the developers say the minis sell. If Sony would manage to allow them to have trophies as well it would really blow the door open in terms of sales. It's a sad reality that some of my friends won't touch minis because of the lack of trophies.

Pranay

I'm constantly surprised at how well the developers say the minis sell. If Sony would manage to allow them to have trophies as well it would really blow the door open in terms of sales. It's a sad reality that some of my friends won't touch minis because of the lack of trophies.

i heard their has been a survey going the trophies part for minis

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think that Minis ever will get trophy support unless they make two versions. Minis are afterall PSP games, but they also work on PS3 and Vita too through emulation. The developers would have to create a own PS3 version and a own Vita version if they want trophy support. I think it is much easier (and cheaper) to just create one version that works on all 3 systems instead of make 3 seperate versions.

They need to do Minis+ (or whatever you want to call it) and drop PSP support. Support only the PS3 and Vita and allow two sticks, trophies, leaderboards, and maybe even online play

SenEXunk

Banned
The only mini I bought is Age of Zombies which was actually really good. If I had a hanheld I would be inclined to purchase a lot more, they cetainly don't break the bank.

Carl

The only mini I bought is Age of Zombies which was actually really good. If I had a hanheld I would be inclined to purchase a lot more, they cetainly don't break the bank.

Check out some of Laughing Jackal's Minis. And Where is My Heart? Velocity, too.

Curufinwe

Yeah, trophies really would help push some people to buy Minis.

Oppo

This is the kind of reason why I always come back to Sony platforms. For all their biz faults (and many others), they really just seem to give a fuck when it comes to litttle devs and nurturing this stuff.

I have mixed feelings about adding trophy support. (Online definitely not, except for maybe leaderboards.) Something should differentiate them besides the weird runtime environment. At the same time, I know they boost sales. Maybe a subset of trophies, like the way the sub-$20 PSN games can't have a Platinum, or whatever.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think I've played two Minis so far. Partly because PSP doesn't allow mixing of different regions' content (mine's tied to my US account for those superior PS1 games) but any Minis I have got or would get would be from my UK PS+ account. But even with Plus I tend to just ignore them, as I have enough of a full game backlog to add Minis to that too.

The zombie shooter I played a year or two ago was pretty good though. I played it to completion, and had a lot of fun doing so.

Oppo

I don't believe they've said either way.

No Sony has said specifically that trophies and online aren't a part of Minis. And some dev recently mentioned (I forget who – the Velocity guy?) that they would have had a sales boost if only they could have offered trophies.

Carl

No Sony has said specifically that trophies and online aren't a part of Minis. And some dev recently mentioned (I forget who – the Velocity guy?) that they would have had a sales boost if only they could have offered trophies.

Ah, didn't think so. And yeah that was James Marsden from Futurlab (makers of Velocity and Coconut Dodge). They were talking about their experiences with Minis and how the felt the platform could improve.

Takao

Banned

I was talking about PlayStation Mobile titles, not Minis.

Dibbz

It's good to see there is a platform out there for small developers to get their foot in the console space.

Rlan

whos_awesome.jpg

Minis are also helped by the fact that they're cross platform -- minis work for PSP, PS3 and Vita without having to do much in terms of code shenanigans. Some stuff occasionally goes weird, but for the most part it's fine.

Adding Trophies would unfortunately make them not work for the PSP, but it seems that more games are going the PS3 / Vita route now with games like Pinball Arcade and that Motostorm Mini title. Minis are definitely "easier" to do though.

The main issue with Minis is where they're supported -- Minis do NOT come out in Japan, one of the biggest possible markets particularly for Vita / PSP, and it boggles the mind on why Japan doesn't do it. Some Japanese PSP "mini games" came out as Minis in America, but they weren't PSP compatible -- it was just the use of the name.

It's also good that more unique titles are coming out on Minis than you'd think. Originally it looked like it was going to get swamped by iPhone ports of bad dual-stick shooters, but it seems more and more games are unique to the platform because of their simple nature and need for controls.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
We've actually just gone over 1 million now :).

So, to the big news! You might recall that we recently said we were approaching one million PSN downloads across all our games. Well, I’ve been watching the figures approach the magic seven digits and a few days back it finally happened so I’m incredibly delighted to say that we have now crossed that milestone! So, thanks to everyone who has downloaded/purchased and (more importantly!) played one of our games and to SCEE/SCEA for making it all possible. Knowing that there are hundreds of thousands of you playing our games is just crazy!

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, the overwhelming majority of these downloads are for our minis, several of which have received over 100,000 downloads individually. Certainly the minis platform has been very strong for us.

One of the most surprising little facts I found when looking through the data earlier is that about 55% of our downloads have come via Sony Computer Entertainment of America as opposed to about 45% from all the countries covered by Sony Computer Entertainment of Europe. As a European developer that has traditionally received more coverage in Europe, this was definitely something we didn’t expect and I’d be quite interested in hearing if you guys have any theories as to why this might be.

http://www.laughingjackal.co.uk/post/1-million-downloads-that-s-1-000-000-downloads

Pranay

I don't have a complete break down but off the top of my head I think about 98 - 99% of the downloads would be Minis with the rest being our PS3 game.

i dont know much about minis but what i actually asked was how much % of people plays minis on their ps3 kind off

Shinriji

Is there a PSP Minis recommendation thread ? I know Carl has been preaching Where's my heart and Velocity in the Vita thread. What else ?

- Where is my Heart? (Must have, best Minis ever, puzzle game, excellent music)
- Floating God save the pilgrims (Clever and pretty Dual stick shtmup)
- Prehistoric Isle (Retro shtmup)

Boss Man

I've considered messing with something in PlayStation Mobile for my senior project. I really like these little development tools/avenues that Sony is offering. There's a tremendous amount of room in the games industry aside from $60 retail games, and I'm surprised it took iOS to make people realize it.

What is their best Mini game? I'm going to buy one now in celebration!

I'd say our best one is OMG-Z
Thanks!

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
i dont know much about minis but what i actually asked was how much % of people plays minis on their ps3 kind off

I don't think we can actually see that I'm afraid.

I've considered messing with something in PlayStation Mobile for my senior project. I really like these little development tools/avenues that Sony is offering. There's a tremendous amount of room in the games industry aside from $60 retail games, and I'm surprised it took iOS to make people realize it.

What is their best Mini game? I'm going to buy one now in celebration!

I'd say our best one is OMG-Z

Angelcurio

I'm also surprised at the reception the PS minis have. I personally have never bought or played a PS Mini game, and part of that is the lack of trophies. I'm not a trophy whore, but you get accustomed to that sense of achievement when you play or reach certain goals within a game. Trophy inclusion should be a top priority for Sony if they ever decide to revamp the Minis program.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
I'm also surprised at the reception the PS minis have. I personally have never bought or played a PS Mini game, and part of that is the lack of trophies. I'm not a trophy whore, but you get accustomed to that sense of achievement when you play or reach certain goals within a game. Trophy inclusion should be a top priority for Sony if they ever decide to revamp the Minis program.

While it's not quite the same as Trophies a few of our Minis like Hungry Giraffe do have ingame acheivements.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
minis with trophies would be awesome

do them small versions

3 Trophies min
5 Trophies max

5 Bronze
3 Bronze, Silver, Gold
1 Bronze, 3 Silver
2 Silver, Gold
1 Silver, 2 Gold

So simple, trust me... I'm an expert =D

cyborg009

Banned
minis with trophies would be awesome

do them small versions

3 Trophies min
5 Trophies max

5 Bronze
3 Bronze, Silver, Gold
1 Bronze, 3 Silver
2 Silver, Gold
1 Silver, 2 Gold

So simple, trust me... I'm an expert =D

I say 3 trophies at max 1 Bronze 1 Sliver 1 Gold and online leaderboards

I'm constantly surprised by praise of the Minis platform as I NEVER hear of any Minis games outside of this forum (and even then, it's rare) and browsing the store for them is a nightmare for someone looking for something new and/hidden to try out (no screenshots, no videos, no demos).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I say 3 trophies at max 1 Bronze 1 Sliver 1 Gold and online leaderboards

You need some variety

If each mini = 1 B, S, G it defeats the purpose

You can see PSN games vary, from 10-15 trophies for the $9.99 price base, some even have a Platinum! to boot
$0.99-$1.99 mini = 3 trophies max
$1.99+ = 5 trophies max, mix them up at devs discretion

Agent X

They need to do Minis+ (or whatever you want to call it) and drop PSP support. Support only the PS3 and Vita and allow two sticks, trophies, leaderboards, and maybe even online play

PlayStation Mobile seems to be "Minis+", but with game development being centered around Vita and some Android-based mobile devices (rumored to be including PS3 at some point). I'm sure it will offer more features than what Minis have now.

Woah, I own a grand total of ZERO Minis. May be I should look into it soon.

Um...yes, you should! :)

Is there a PSP Minis recommendation thread ? I know Carl has been preaching Where's my heart and Velocity in the Vita thread. What else ?

The official thread for Minis here is this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374751

It hasn't seen too much activity in recent months, and a couple of the higher-profile Minis like Where is My Heart? and Velocity were popular enough to warrant their own individual threads. Over the last 2 months, they've "certified" a lot of additional Minis as playable on Vita, so maybe we can revisit some of the classics.

Top Bottom