• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - Vita Compatible! |OT|

cj_iwakura

iFGPYswYMCx5d.png

It's been a long battle, but the hour finally draws near.

iiGFgjbX4S1xG.png

This is the fourth entry in the long-running Growlanser series, strategic RPGs developed by Career Soft, made of team members largely responsible for the (even longer running) Langrisser series.

While the Langrisser series focused on large scale battles with massive squads in Fire Emblem-style skirmishes, Growlanser battles tend to focus on a single group taking up arms against overwhelming odds.

Growlanser IV was originally for the PS2, a successor to the foundation set up by Growlanser II and III, which were localized by Working Designs.

Wayfarer of Time improves on its predecessors significantly, and was even considered for localization by Victor Ireland at one point, had Working Designs not met an untimely end shortly after II/III's release.

Much like the re-release of the first Growlanser game, IV's PSP version adds new characters, scenarios, and a plethora of new endings and routes, to an already massive game, making this the fourth game in the series to see a localized version.

iuaJKQRllPjkE.png

Courtesy of: Growlanser-Realm

2000 years ago, humankind progressed in magic and science, and built an advanced civilization. However, they came into battle against powerful angels, and were slain to the brink of extinction.

Humankind revived eventually from this downfall and rebuilt new civilization. However, the battle with the angels was so devastating that many things were lost, such as the technologies of magic and science. In the present time, there is no one who knows the truth of what happened; there are only myths that speak of "magic" and "angels that punished humanity". Even the existence of the angels who destroyed mankind have been reduced to legend and folklore.

Even as eras change and pass, war occurs among humans.

On this world there is a continent called Noyeval. There are four countries, each with their own differences, and they begin aggressions to their neighboring nations. The people have forgotten that they were on the verge of destruction by the hands of malevolent angels two thousand years before.

In the south is Lamplast Island; the Alten Schwart mercenaries were hired to defend it from invasion from outside continents. However, an angel suddenly appeared and assailed the fighting humans, and the mercenary group had to flee from the battleground. The angel was so powerful that it could bring everything to nonexistence.

Crevaniel, a mercenary raised in Alten Schwart, witnessed the six-winged angel in the sky. On the night that they returned to the mainland, the captain of the mercenary group, Dixon, affirmed that he saw the angel, and they were the only two people who could see it. He said to Crevaniel that he was the "key to stop the angels".

With this as his destiny, Crevaniel set out to discover how to defeat the angels and save the fate of humanity. He will become a new Savior of Light, the Growlanser.

iUInx5UhcgaSp.png

Crevaniel

sub_main_c2_02.png

A young mercenary recruited into the Alten Schwart brigade at a young age.
He soon finds himself wrapped up in a war beyond anything he could have ever been trained for, with all of humankind at stake.

Remus

sub_main_c1_02.png

A boy found collapsed in the forest, rescued by Crevaniel and Regina. Since then he has come to live with them as a member of Alten Schwart. He is gentle and always positive. It became Crevaniel's duty to look after him.

Regina

glc1.png

Daughter of the leader of the Alten Schwart mercenary group. Because of being surrounded by rough guys, she has a bit of a nasty tongue. Has a brother-sister relationship with Crevaniel.

Dixon

glc2.png

The leader of the Alten Schwart mercenaries. Has the utmost trust of everyone he serves and commands.

Diana Silvernale

glc3.png

A member of the Valcaneer Royal Guard. Her merit and military achievement are strong even though she is a woman. It is said that she inherited her fencing skill from her mother.

Cynthia & Meleene
(PSP Exclusive)

glc4.png

Elder and younger twins, respectively. While Cynthia is calm and well-mannered, Meleene is self-centered and quick to temper.

Familiar D-RM, aka 'Raimy'

glc5.png

A carefree fairy guardian known for being a bit ditzy.
Some say she has a strong affinity with dark magic...

ilypgtFU5tpbh.png

Growlanser battles occur in real-time.

Before a battle begins, each character in the squad is given a command. Once battle starts, they continue to act as directed until their objective is met, or all enemies are dead.

bs1_main.png

Most infamously, Growlanser games are known for stringent mission objectives. Whether protecting a group of civilians from death, reaching a checkpoint without casualties, or slaying an enemy army to the last man, obtaining the desired result of Mission Clear can be a daunting task, but oh-so worth it.

bs2_main.png

In addition to the ever-present warring for people and country, Growlanser games have always involved befriending those in your army, usually to further relationships, leading to one of many possible endings with a particular lady-friend(or even one of the same gender, if you prefer).

Crevaniel's words and actions will dictate which, if any, character will wind up fancying him, so choose wisely.

629093_20120619_screen007.jpg

Growlanser IV has more than 40 possible endings depending on which routes you take and who you wind up with.

You may want to have multiple saves handy.

ibhiSSfafKPkXq.png

Wayfarer of the Time [PS2] Opening (Subtitled)

Wayfarer of Time [PSP] Opening (Subtitled)

gr41.jpg
gr42.jpg
gr44.jpg
gr45.jpg

gr46.jpg
gr47.jpg
gr48.jpg
gr49.jpg

gr50.jpg
gr51.jpg
gr52.jpg
gr53.jpg

gr54.jpg
gr55.jpg
gr56.jpg

gla4.png
gla5.png
gla6.png
gla7.png

gla8.png
gla9.png
gla10.png
gla11.png

gla12.png
gla13.png
gla14.png

gla15.png
gla16.png

Screens

629093_20120619_screen008.jpg

629093_20120619_screen009.jpg

629093_20120619_screen005.jpg

629093_20120619_screen011.jpg

629093_20120619_screen013.jpg

Box Art

Release Date
July 31st, 2012 - $29.99

For the PSP, though Vita compatibility remains to be seen(keep your fingers crossed).

Reviews!?

First Review: 1UP - B
Every character that plays a part in the conflict has different, often reasonable motives to back up to his or her actions; this intricate web of relationships that connects all the folks Crevanille will meet on his journey really makes makes Wayfarer of Time's world feel alive. It's something I haven't experienced in an RPG since the second Suikoden. Although not as polished or well written as Konami's masterpiece -- despite sharing the ability to build your own base -- Growlanser's fourth episode refuses to focus on the hero's playable entourage and a handful of villains like most RPGs do; instead, it takes its time to focus on the big picture.
Wayfarer of Time can definitely be an awkward game, but despite all the sad tropes its infested with, I can't help but recommend it. With its brilliant gameplay, riveting story, and interesting characters, it's one of the best ways I could imagine saying goodbye to the PSP (It's probably the last RPG for the system!) and great evidence that the genre has still a lot to say if you know where to look.

Special Thanks to-

Vally for graphics.

Wdlogo.png

Working Designs and Victor Ireland for taking the risk.

Growlanser-Realm for keeping the faith.

And last and definitely not least, Atlus USA, for rewarding it.

The Wayfarer's time is now!

LuuKyK

Awesome thread!

I will probably buy it but do we know if this will be available on the PSN yet? I know I already asked, but I really wanna know the price. :X

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I really want the first game, but this is suppose to be just as good or better right? These two seem to be the most popular, but the first game also had Iwadare's music as an added incentive for me.

cj_iwakura

This will be available for PSN from the get-go for $29.99.

Vita compatibility remains to be seen, but hopefully PS3 transfer will be possible if nothing else.

I really want the first game, but this is suppose to be just as good or better right? These two seem to be the most popular, but the first game also had Iwadare's music as an added incentive for me.

This is largely considered equal to if not better than the first game(though that depends on who you ask).

Aeana

I was wondering when this would go up.
I really hope people give this game a try, even if they didn't like Growlanser 2 or 3, or especially Heritage of War. It's just so much better than those games.

Zeranium

Pre-ordered a while back but it won't arrive release day for, unfortunately.
Very excited for this.

I really hope people give this game a try, even if they didn't like Growlanser 2 or 3, or especially Heritage of War. It's just so much better than those games.
I enjoyed II & II and was a little iffy on V (but ended up finishing it.)
Reading this makes me even more excited.

Alex

Never got around to playing any of these, may give it a go. Wont be left dizzy contextually for starting here, will I?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I always thought the artist for this series drew nice umm... characters? >.>

Probably going to pick this up soon as I can :3

UberTag

It will be someday, but the odds of it working from release day are not very high, going by recent PSP releases. Fingers crossed.
Have recent releases been PS3-transfer compatible to Vita on Day 1 at least? I haven't been keeping track.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's a pretty damn thorough OP. I definitely want to play this game, and I'll pick it up pretty soon after it comes out... though I won't be able to play it for a good month and a half, seeing as how my PSP isn't here. Oh well.

Game looks pretty rad, in any case. I'll be supporting the physical release.

Shouta

Making my OT for the JP release look like chump change, of course I barely spent any time on it but oh well!

I got my copy preordered. This'll be my like 4th or 5th run through the game.

Aku-Audi

Satoshi Urushihara has some incredible art pieces out there, even the adult oriented art, with all it's magnificent detail despite the simplistic coloring.
My favorite work of his is still Assault Suit VALKEN though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was a big fan of Satoshi Urushihara's artwork even if they were a little too fanservice-y. Then I found out he was a hentai artist.

Still, there's a certain charm to his shiny art and detailed hair.

Definitely. And for me, personally, the art makes it feel like all those Saturn RPGs we never got in the States. Which is kind of cool.

kuroshiki

I was a big fan of Satoshi Urushihara's artwork even if they were a little too fanservice-y. Then I found out he was a hentai artist.

That's what makes satoshi awesome.

Anyway OP has no price, release date... did I miss it?

Aeana

cj_iwakura commits the cardinal sin of OTs!

This would be my first Growlanser game but like most of Aeana's recommendations Im sure it will be amazing.
Just ask yourself this question: do I like the idea of a game structured like a traditional RPG, with towns, fields, dungeons, etc., but with SRPG-style battles? If so, then this game is for you-

kuroshiki

cj_iwakura commits the cardinal sin of OTs!

Just ask yourself this question: do I like the idea of a game structured like a traditional RPG, with towns, fields, dungeons, etc., but with SRPG-style battles? If so, then this game is for you-

Eh. That's a wrong question:

Do you like sexy skin tight anime girls?

If yes, then hell yeah.

cj_iwakura

I like his intricate costume designs myself, occasional ridiculous outfit aside.

(From V, best thing about that game.)

It's all there at the bottom.

I don't dislike him anymore after finding out, just felt... I don't know, not even sure how I really feel. It's just weird is all. Also, I was a fan of his work very early on when the internet wasn't available to everyone. I saw Plastic Little and didn't care for it. Just that something about the art grabbed me. And no, the tits wasn't the reason.

I actually saw the hentai and I swear to god I can't remember shit other than laughing my ass off at this scene where the daughter returns home, and rushes to hug her daddy while he's fucking one of the maids. She completely ignore it of course. My stomach hurts from laughing.

cj_iwakura

I'm not into hentai at all, but I feel Urushihara kind of gets a bad rap because he also does adult artwork.

Don't most Japanese artists dabble in that? Either way, I can look past it in favor of how talented he is.

kuroshiki

I'm not into hentai at all, but I feel Urushihara kind of gets a bad rap because he also does adult artwork.

Don't most Japanese artists dabble in that? Either way, I can look past it in favor of how talented he is.

What? Being a hentai artist has nothing to do with artwork. If someone think that way than it just shows how shallow he/she really is.

Hell Valkyria Chronicles has adult hentai artist as a character designer.

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I became a fan during a more innocent time, even AFTER seeing a titty flick like Plastic Little. Yeah, I was that dense.

Nowadays, I'm just a little more critical of how he draws female faces. They really do fall into the trap of same face different hair. His male characters on the other had a great. Love the way he draws older guys. Just so much detail and very manly. Hell, I think he's more flexible drawing guys than females despite all his stories having lesbian themes.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I know. Like I said, I became a fan during a more innocent time, even AFTER seeing a titty flick like Plastic Little. Yeah, I was that dense.

Nowadays, I'm just a little more critical of how he draws female faces. They really do fall into the trap of same face different hair. His male characters on the other had a great. Love the way he draws older guys. Just so much detail and very manly. Hell, I think he's more flexible drawing guys than females despite all his stories having lesbian themes.

Someone once described him as equal opportunity; he does yaoi art too. :p

Eusis

Man, I wish there were more games like that! Though I felt this was always more RTS-like than traditional strategy RPGs, but that's what helps it stand out more. And have a relatively fast pace in comparison to standard SRPGs, I'm sure.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Never played a Growlanser game, but this seems like something I'd enjoy for sure.

Will pick it up as soon as I can get it on Vita, hopefully it will be transferable from PS3 since Sony will probably take six months to actually put it on the store.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't dislike him anymore after finding out, just felt... I don't know, not even sure how I really feel. It's just weird is all. Also, I was a fan of his work very early on when the internet wasn't available to everyone. I saw Plastic Little and didn't care for it. Just that something about the art grabbed me. And no, the tits wasn't the reason.

I actually saw the hentai and I swear to god I can't remember shit other than laughing my ass off at this scene where the daughter returns home, and rushes to hug her daddy while he's fucking one of the maids. She completely ignore it of course. My stomach hurts from laughing.

The animation was pretty nice though, but a bit lame how both the girls had copy paste bodies with a different skin tone... wait what I never seen it!

Never played a Growlanser game but im going to pick this up. I like the art style, it reminds me of some kind of late 80's early 90's anime.

The only other srpg i've played is jeanne d arc and I thought it was great but too simple. Would you series veterans say this game is a huge step up in the gameplay and game systems department?

cj_iwakura

Never played a Growlanser game but im going to pick this up. I like the art style, it reminds me of some kind of late 80's early 90's anime.

The only other srpg i've played is jeanne d arc and I thought it was great but too simple. Would you series veterans say this game is a huge step up in the gameplay and game systems department?

There is no SRPG quite like Growlanser. And it's definitely not simple.

Top Bottom