• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - Vita Compatible! |OT|

Golbez

Aeana said:
It's one of my favorite games. What it managed to accomplish when it was released (1989) is nothing short of amazing IMO. It has a neat story, great characters, interesting gameplay.
Alright, I'll give it a shot once I finish Ys II.

jorgeton

You can do male/male but it's not really the same.

Hmm. I'm still pretty psyched about it. Didn't realize you could have bromances til I read the thread this morning. How many people can you "date" at the same time? Can you make your MC a total cad like you could in P4?

Quixzlizx

I've had this preordered for awhile, despite not knowing whether I'll get around to playing it in the next decade. I need to support PSP JRPGs so I can later add more to the backlog throne.

Hobbun

It's not fully real-time, since everything stops when you issue commands. But... Valkyria Chronicles isn't something I'd consider real-time either. Actually, not even remotely. Why do you call it real-time?

Well, maybe I should have been more specific in my description of ‘real-time’.

VC is real-time in the sense is when you move your character around, you can be shot at, on your turn, from surrounding enemies. But yes, at the core, you still take turns. It’s more of a mix between the two. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE VC, it’s just not your traditional turn-based SRPG.

To be honest, Growlanser sounds more like real-time than VC. It sounds like you technically don’t have structured turns, which I’m not sure I will like or not. However, as I said, I am still going to give the game a try.

Aeana

Well, maybe I should have been more specific in my description of ‘real-time’.

VC is real-time in the sense is when you move your character around, you can be shot at, on your turn, from surrounding enemies. But yes, at the core, you still take turns. It’s more of a mix between the two. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE VC, it’s just not your traditional turn-based SRPG.

To be honest, Growlanser sounds more like real-time than VC. It sounds like you technically don’t have turns, which I’m not sure I will like or not. However, as I said, I am still going to give the game a try.
No, Growlanser isn't turn-based. But when you're commanding units, you have all the time in the world to do so since the action pauses. Watch the videos I linked above. I know they might be a little hard to follow since they're not English, but you can get a pretty good idea of game flow regardless.

Quixzlizx

Ok, I’ll take a look at them.

Thanks, Aeana.

I dislike RTS games, and I didn't have any problem with earlier Growlansers. To be honest, FF6 is more real-time than this, since the ATB keeps running/enemies keep attacking while you're deciding on commands.

Hobbun

Ok, thanks for the input. Like yourself, I am not a big fan of RTS’.

And if FF6 feels more real-time than this, then I should definitely be ok with it.

What does the “1” or “2” mean in the circle when choosing to move? Is that some kind of distance? I assume the “E” means enemy.

Aeana

Ok, thanks for the input. Like yourself, I am not a big fan of RTS’.

And if FF6 feels more real-time than this, then I should definitely be ok with it.

What does the “1” or “2” mean in the circle when choosing to move? Is that some kind of distance? I assume the “E” means enemy.
They let you set waypoints for movement, so you don't have to move in a single straight line. 1 is the first stop, 2 is the second stop, and e is the end point.

Marche90

In times like these, is when I hate myself for selling my PSP *sigh*

Well, I guess I'm going to get a Vita down the line, so a digital copy for me, it is.

NichM

Banned
Has it been confirmed that this will get Vita compatibility eventually, or is it just a guess at this point?

I think it probably will, but it can't be confirmed or guaranteed, since the thing holding it up is SCEA's compatibility testing, which it could conceivably fail.

Shouta

Who plays a freaking RPG that probably takes at least 40 hours to finish multiple times? And whats up with 40!!! endings (I know, most of them are probably almost the same, but still) . Isn't a bad, a good and a true ending more than enough? I'm just ranting cause I just finished Nocturne and got some lame ending after 100 hours of playing just cause I didn't do one thing at the right time..I hate that shit. I hope the 'right ' path is obvious and I don't have to look up FAQ just so I don't miss it..

Nice OP btw.

Most of the endings are pairing based. Pairing aside, there are three major overall endings to the game due to the routes, two of which are new. However, one of them is only available on a second playthrough.

Hmm. I'm still pretty psyched about it. Didn't realize you could have bromances til I read the thread this morning. How many people can you "date" at the same time? Can you make your MC a total cad like you could in P4?

Well, Growlanser has had "dating" stuff for quite a long time. I use the quotation marks though because it's actually spending time with someone on one of your vacation days. Character romances don't really overlap so you can bring the affection of anyone you want up without negative affects. However, vacation time and chances are generally limited on a single run so you have to hit all the key points in their story during the vacations and often cases a sidequest or two during the game to flag them for the ending.

I will say this though, it might not quite be the Bromance you imagine it to be. Most of the storylines involving the guys are good in GL games but I don'tk now if they'll reach that level of expectation.

Loudninja

PS Vita owners, don’t fret! Our last PSP release, Gungnir, may not have supported PS Vita at launch (we greatly appreciate the patience of PS Vita fans hoping for that compatibility), but we’re happy to proclaim that it does now (and should be accessible through the PS Vita PS Store as of August 7th). We’ll cooperate with the right folks as much as possible to make Growlanser: WoT playable on those sexy screens as close to launch as possible.
ATLUS says: when your Growlanser lasts longer than four hours, please remember to get up and stretch or something.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/25/new-psp-srpg-growlanser-wayfarer-of-time-out-next-week/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Obligatory: "Have this preordered, can't wait, omg Growlanser IV is finally coming here, etc."

Various impressions of the JP release made the game seem really good, especially the additions that OR added to vanilla IV. I'm also looking forward to the bridge mission that Shouta said was hard to get a Mission Complete in, haha.

Shouta

That bridge mission is rough. Probably easier on a second playthrough of course but that first time in every game is just killer, even if you know what you're doing.

scy

I think it probably will, but it can't be confirmed or guaranteed, since the thing holding it up is SCEA's compatibility testing, which it could conceivably fail.

:(

Oh well. Digital anyway and worry about how it works out later!

That bridge mission is rough. Probably easier on a second playthrough of course but that first time in every game is just killer, even if you know what you're doing.

I do like the sound of that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How long did your first playthrough last for, out of curiosity? IIRC, you said that the more of the new stuff is shown during the second playthrough, so it's best to get two playthroughs in, right?

jorgeton

Well, Growlanser has had "dating" stuff for quite a long time. I use the quotation marks though because it's actually spending time with someone on one of your vacation days. Character romances don't really overlap so you can bring the affection of anyone you want up without negative affects. However, vacation time and chances are generally limited on a single run so you have to hit all the key points in their story during the vacations and often cases a sidequest or two during the game to flag them for the ending.

I will say this though, it might not quite be the Bromance you imagine it to be. Most of the storylines involving the guys are good in GL games but I don'tk now if they'll reach that level of expectation.

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how the relationships develop regardless. I played GL II&III (the ones Working Designs brought over) and do not remember the "dating" aspect at all. I must've been too focused on getting to the end of each game.

Shouta

How long did your first playthrough last for, out of curiosity? IIRC, you said that the more of the new stuff is shown during the second playthrough, so it's best to get two playthroughs in, right?

I'd suspect 35-40 hours for an initial run, as far as I can recall. Second runs are usually faster because of the new game plus though. I saved over my first run data though so I can't really say how long it took me, unfortunately.

matmanx1

Really, really want to play this one but since I'm Vita only at this point I have my fingers crossed for the game passing SCEA's compatibility testing and doing so quickly.

If for some reason it fails the test and won't be available on the Vita I might just have to pick up a cheap PSP and a physical copy just so I can play this game. Either way, I'm not going to miss out.

Yuterald

I'll need to pick this Growlanser game up at some point, I suppose. I don't think I'll have time for it anytime soon, but I do want to play and support it. I still need to pickup Gungnir too. I'm behind on my PSP RPG support! =(

I really wanted to finish Growlanser II & III before checking this game out, but I got to the final boss (I think) in G2 and couldn't beat the guy. I even made a LTTP thread for the game on GAF, but it's been MONTHS since I've played the game. I just sort of stopped because I kept getting wrecked by the final boss and I don't have any save files outside of the battle. Kinda shitty if I must say so. My motivation for the series has declined a bit, to be honest. I do want to get into these games more, but from what I've played of G2 I wasn't as hooked as I thought I would be. Oh well, I'll make time for these games another day and give them another shot.

Vamphuntr

Can you play the additional routes on your first playthrough. I already beat the PS2 version so I would love to try a new path from the start.

Shouta

Can you play the additional routes on your first playthrough. I already beat the PS2 version so I would love to try a new path from the start.

PSP Original route is available on the first play through, think of it as the "True" ending. It's much more fleshed out and satisfying, IMO. The route split or what if scenario is only available on a second playthrough.

Vamphuntr

PSP Original route is available on the first play through, think of it as the "True" ending. It's much more fleshed out and satisfying, IMO. The route split or what if scenario is only available on a second playthrough.

I see, thanks for you swift reply. I'll just use the new game plus feature then.

Jay Sosa

Most of the endings are pairing based. Pairing aside, there are three major overall endings to the game due to the routes, two of which are new. However, one of them is only available on a second playthrough.

Well that's a relief, thanks!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd suspect 35-40 hours for an initial run, as far as I can recall. Second runs are usually faster because of the new game plus though. I saved over my first run data though so I can't really say how long it took me, unfortunately.
Thanks, Shouta. Well, that doesn't sound too bad, especially with NG+.

cj_iwakura

Any gameplay video of this?

Here you go.

I decided to make some Growlanser WoT videos from the JP version of the game, my english is really bad so you will have to bear with it.

This is a video of a normal mission battle in WoT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kIltK6ZJD4 Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAklGteirSY Part 2

This is an explanation of commands available during battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JLXldx484o

This is one about magic and the party command menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZEigdTeLo Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5maYU7mcdk Part 2

Just to clarify the Jp version has battle voices wich the US version probably wont have. I will make more soon.

And yay, marketing!

cj_iwakura

Hey...when does this come out?

I want to play this game just because the art is done by the dude that did Another Lady Innocent.

wofcountdown6.jpg

Esura

Banned
Wow, that reply was too fast.

I wanted to edit out my dumb question, lol.

EDIT: Man, this artwork is too good.

TheChaos

Anyone know the firmware requirements for this bad boy? I'm gonna get the physical copy and currently have 6.60 PRO B9.

Esura

Banned
Man, that gameplay looks really complicated. Or maybe because it's in Japanese.

Prolly easier than it look when I play it though.

Eusis

I think you just lucked out with Amazon.ca. I feel Amazon.com's going to be a bit more careful there though.

Vamphuntr

I think you just lucked out with Amazon.ca. I feel Amazon.com's going to be a bit more careful there though.

It's funny because they are usually late with their shipping. Sometimes I get new releases 3-4 after their release date from them. I'm also surprised that Atlus shipped the copies a week before. It's not a big game after all.

Awkwardly enough I also got free UPS shipping.

Word is that Canada got it a week early. If I get mine from them, I'll say if it ships.

Well gamestop/ebgames Canada still has the game listed for the 31st but some third party sellers on Amazon have the game too. Seems like Amazon flipped the wrong switch :)

Top Bottom