• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it still worth getting a separate camera if you have a high end smart phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaaraz

Potentially silly question, but this is something I've been thinking about recently - I keep seeing people with very expensive cameras, and honestly it appeals to me to the point I'm seriously considering getting one, but I'm wondering if I'd ever use it?

A camera phone is just super continent, it's always with you, all of your photos are in one place, you get some amazing apps for both taking and processing photos, and it actually does some things that a conventional camera couldn't.

But a proper camera, man, the quality of the photos is of course miles better, and in particular having a proper digital zoom would be a massive bonus for me.

I want to start travelling and seeing the world, we've been to a lot of places recently and I've taken a lot of snaps, I don't want to be taking them on my phone (currently iPhone 4, soon to be iPhone 5 when it's released) when I could be getting far better snaps with a proper camera, but similarly I don't want to spend a grand on a 'proper' camera only to never actually want to take it with me anywhere.

What do you think GAF? Are any of you casual photographers who have found a place for both a good camera on a smart phone, and a expensive camera?

I bought a digital camera a couple of years ago, but since getting my iPhone 4S I haven't used it at all. The iPhone takes much better pictures, is more convenient and I'll always have it with me because it's my phone!

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I want to start travelling and seeing the world, we've been to a lot of places recently and I've taken a lot of snaps, I don't want to be taking them on my phone (currently iPhone 4, soon to be iPhone 5 when it's released) when I could be getting far better snaps with a proper camera, but similarly I don't want to spend a grand on a 'proper' camera only to never actually want to take it with me anywhere.

Get a better camera.

Jimrpg

a DSLR and a camera phone is night and day... dont even bother comparing.

the lenses you can put on a DSLR is a million times sharper plus you can adjust the aperture/shutter speed/ISO/white balance to get the result you want.

if you're going travelling i highly recommend taking a DSLR and taking it with you at all times... its nice and convenient to have a camera phone - but i use that more as a camera to take photos of things to remind myself of stuff

I use my phone and my DSLR. I make a habit of mostly carrying my DSLR though, which definitely requires some stick-to-it-iveness. I would say that if you feel like you want to continue taking pictures and your phone isn't always giving you what you want anymore, then you should probably take the plunge on a solid entry level DSLR. Also, if you like your phone's quality, stick with that and don't bother with a point and shoot for now. There are so many ways to approach the hobby and finding your own niche is part of the fun of it.

Log4Girlz

a DSLR and a camera phone is night and day... dont even bother comparing.

the lenses you can put on a DSLR is a million times sharper plus you can adjust the aperture/shutter speed/ISO/white balance to get the result you want.

if you're going travelling i highly recommend taking a DSLR and taking it with you at all times... its nice and convenient to have a camera phone - but i use that more as a camera to take photos of things to remind myself of stuff

A phone basically doesn't have optics and a minuscule sensor. But a professional will blow me away with a smart phone and make my DSLR look like a toy. Gotta learn how to shoot.

dejay

Banned
Rent or borrow a DSLR and go for a mini trip with it. See how you go with it and try imagine that experience x 10. Travelling for me is about getting about nice and light, but saying that I love my DSLR and love the results I can get from it.

Really, I like to take my DSLR but only take it out on special photography trips - trips in which the prime activity is photography. Eg - go to a place for a week, maybe take the DSLR out on two days to take photos, the other days I'll just use my phone to get happy snaps. If you know the limitations and parameters of any camera you're using you'll get good results. IE, don't try and take night shots with a camera phone but macros in good light can give great results.

Mistle

A mid-high end point and shoot will blow any smartphone out of the water.

Check out the Canon s95 or s100

If you really want to explore the world and show off how beautiful places are when you get home, get a professional camera. If you are one of those people who like to quickly take snapshots and advance further in your journey, without taking the proper time to get the perfect balance for time of day and position, take your high end smartphone. The iPhone 4S has oné of the best cameras available for a phone and just buying a simple digital camera for around $300 will not replace it.

There is a huge gap in quality between my Galaxy S1 and my p&s Canon Ixus 220. This gap would be greatly increased if I had a DSLR. Video footage is a world away also.

Things would be helped if my phone was more camera centric.

get the camera. Smartphones have literally zero optical zoom, and are nigh worthless if your subject isn't directly in front of you.

Gaaraz

Many thanks for all of your responses, we have around 4 digital cameras between us, the best of which is probably a Canon Z1050 which if I'm honest doesn't seem an awful lot better than my iPhone, but it is very old.

Not sure whether to go for a cheapish DSLR, or wait for the iPhone 5 and see how that performs - if it's naff I could go for something like the Canon S100 mentioned earlier in the thread, looks like a great little camera!

stressboy

I bought my wife a Canon DSLR last year, and the difference is night and day, especially as she has learned to use it more. So yeah, get the camera.

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX100V and I love it as a point and shoot, no phone camera comes close to it.
Also have a DSLR and old Canon Digital Rebel XTi that I find I need not replace for the time being.

If you go travelling then you definetly need a compact point and shoot and a DSLR.

Falch

Many thanks for all of your responses, we have around 4 digital cameras between us, the best of which is probably a Canon Z1050 which if I'm honest doesn't seem an awful lot better than my iPhone, but it is very old.

Not sure whether to go for a cheapish DSLR, or wait for the iPhone 5 and see how that performs - if it's naff I could go for something like the Canon S100 mentioned earlier in the thread, looks like a great little camera!

Take a look at the Sony RX100. It's expensive, but fantastic quality and great portability.

Gaaraz

Might try and get one before we go away at the end of this month (just to Ireland, but some nice snaps wouldn't hurt!)

What would you guys recommend for say £400? (around $500 by the time you allow for import taxes, VAT etc)

Gaaraz

Thank you Falch, a little over budget but still very tempting. Looks nice and fairly compact too!

One thing that's worth pointing out, is I don't actually want to get into photography, I just want to take great photos with the minimum amount of effort necessary (ie I want to focus on finding nice shots, rather than messing with camera settings) - would the RX100 meet that?

Thank you Falch, a little over budget but still very tempting. Looks nice and fairly compact too!

One thing that's worth pointing out, is I don't actually want to get into photography, I just want to take great photos with the minimum amount of effort necessary (ie I want to focus on finding nice shots, rather than messing with camera settings) - would the RX100 meet that?

If you are looking to just point and shoot then any number of sub $400 camera's should work. The Canon S100 seems to be pretty wel regarded.

Mr Swine

Banned
It will probably take 5 years or so before I ever see a smartphone with as good sensor as my Powershot G12 and that camera takes really really good pictures!

Just keep on using your cell phone if all you're doing is taking Facebook/Myspace-type pics.

If you really care about your photos or you'd like to experiment with photography then yeah, it's worth getting a DSLR, mirrorless or an enthusiast compact.

Falch

I think it would. However, as moop pointed out, I'm sure the s100 would meet that criterium too. The rx100 has a bigger sensor and more manual control options, but you've got to decide whether that's worth the extra money. It might not.

Fusebox

Banned
I'd say yes if you're traveling, that's the only time I use a real camera now. Apart from getting better snaps it saves the battery on your phone for other things like maps and language apps.

eastmen

Banned
Well as others have said even a point and shoot will have better optical zoom , low light performance , better flash and most importantly it will not drain your phones battery.

THe other thing to think about is this , do you want a quick photo for facebook or do you want photos you will look back on years from now and mabye show your kids at some point.

Even my older point and shoot is better than my sisters iphone and my arrive . If you take my gf's t3i forget about it the iphone wont compare at all .

For video even my older canon hf11 takes better video than any of the current smart phones on the market . I would think in another 2 years or so the crop of smart phones at the time might catch up , but i will most likely be into a new video camera as mine will be 6-7 years old at that point .

Gaaraz

Many thanks all, lots of people mentioning the S100 on here - tempted to get one anyway for my girlfriend (or at least that's the excuse I'll use) then we can carry around both the S100 and my own phone.

Can sell off my other cameras to put towards them too, even if I only get say twenty quid it's better than nothing, and saves them being wasted!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Day to day my iPhone 4S is my point and shoot, for my videos it is too.

I've only got a 450D for photos, it doesn't do video but I can't carry a DSLR around everywhere.

Gaaraz

Buy a dslr. Don't buy another point and shoot.
I think you're right, thank you, looking at this there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the S100 and the iPhone 4S in the right conditions (and yes, I know that's a key point here) but I imagine the difference with the iPhone 5 will be even less.

Nikon D3100 is tempting

Red

Buy a dslr. Don't buy another point and shoot.
We need a price range before throwing out suggestions. I agree with you in general. My DSLR is probably the single best purchase I've ever made.

They can be expensive though. Lens costs add up. Though I suppose there are budget lenses available if you don't mind them.

Wellllll

If you book the tickets to go, get the camera. I say it's definitely worthwhile. Phones, in my experience, only do a decent job of taking photos under the most ideal of conditions.

Better Glass, Bigger Sensor, Lens settings. Really Really good video if you get a good one. If you buy a DSLR get a 1.8 50mm lens asap they are usually cheap as hell (~>150) and the sharpness will blow you away.

Most point and shoots still shit all over even the iphone

We need a price range before throwing out suggestions. I agree with you in general. My DSLR is probably the single best purchase I've ever made.

They can be expensive though. Lens costs add up. Though I suppose there are budget lenses available if you don't mind them.

This is definitely a downside as once you open that equipment door it becomes an obsession.

Gaaraz

My budget is around £400, but fwiw I have absolutely zero interest in buying and carrying around additional lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom