• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it still worth getting a separate camera if you have a high end smart phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loofy

Phone is only good for facebook pictures. Which is fine since 99% of the pictures people take are probably for facebook. But I wouldnt frame pictures taken with a phone, or spend money to print them out at walmart.

Another reason I have a separate camera is that its waterproof too.

NawidA

Banned
I think I have the best camera in a phone (iPhone 4S) and it's pretty great for everyday stuff, just the lack of optical zoom alone makes it impractical for good photography.

I'm not sure why more people don't recommend superzoom cameras. They're a pretty nice middle of the road between P&S and DSLR. I've had mine for years now and I love it, I think you should really look into those. I'm not sure what's good now but the panasonic and canon were the best a couple years ago when I looked but they have newer versions now so who knows.

I think this is the newest canon superzoom but definitely look at some reviews to see what the best is, amazing alternative to a straight dslr for the price and some even have adapters for better macro lenses and such.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041RSPR8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dead Man

You won't get any macro capabilities with an entry level lens. Macro lenses by the way are pretty expensive. You can buy adapters to make lenses act as if they were macro though. Personally I have not tried it.

An entry level cam would probably have a 18-55mm lens. That would be ok for wide angel shots, but you won't be able to zoom much at all.

Yeah I poop on the point and shoots, but those lense are actually pretty versatile. You get a wide angle view, zoom, and even macro capabilities.
Thanks
As with everything, if you want something done properly, bring the proper tools.
Jack of all trades, master of none and all that stuff.
If you want to just make some snapshots, any camera will do honestly, but phone cameras are by far no contest to proper equipment.

Like others have allready pointed out there are some amazing good offers even for beginners and amateurs, and the quality difference is a mere physical reality that compact cameras are never going to be able to overcome... unless you mount physical lenses and big ass sensors onto a smartphone.

Usually for starters, a 28-70mm zoom lens is what I would recommend. I still have one from my original Canon Eos1 (analog) and it works great on new digital Canon Cameras as well (at least the models I've tried it with) Just make sure you get one with a decent aperture ratio.
Thanks also.
Here's something decent for sub-$400 (if you're looking for entry level SLR): http://www.adorama.com/ICAT3KR.html
Thanks.
Get a Sony RX100.

It can fit your front jeans pocket but still takes dslr quality images. Blows away S100 and GX1 easily. Even Nikon's mirrorless.

Dont settle for those crappy smart phone cameras. Unless your into instagram, quality is abysmal on most scenes.

Thank me later.
Real controls, small size? That look interesting.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I received my first DSLR two weeks ago and I'm getting frustrated at not being able to get the most out of it. Can totally relate to anyone feeling frustrated.

I JUST WANNA BE DECENT.

Oh, I can completely relate to that. The first couple of months I had mine was completely frustrating largely, I think, because I was doing it all wrong. I tried to learn through the manual, through books, through stuff on the internet and none of it stuck and little of it made any practical sense because there was just too much of it all.

It was only after that that I started to get it right and learned by taking photos instead. That has its own frustrations of course, because lots of the photos didn't come out right either and often I didn't understand why properly. Got a little bit of help in a GAF photo thread that set me on the right track and then things took off.

Key thing for me was to realise that photography is essentially an experimental art, so I set myself experiments - like nights shots of water, early morning strolls in thick mist (mist is a pest, because it is hard to expose right and looks better slightly out of focus), city tours with only one lens - that sort of thing. Now all the bits and pieces are gradually falling together.

But yeah, you'll get frustration by the bucketful to start with - just need to find a way of turning that frustration into a determination to do it better on the very next shot. Then the learning accelerates.

If you are planning to travel I'd definitely consider something better than a smart phone. I started a series of yearly multi-week trips two years ago in an effort to show my kids the country and grappled with DSLR versus P&S.

I ended up going with a decent P&S (at the time), the Sony DSC-HX5. While price wasn't much of a concern (it was dwarfed by the cost of the trip, no need to sweat the smaller stuff), the $300 price tag (versus $600+ for DSLR at the time, 2010) was nice. The important factors (for me) were: portability, ease, suitability for "grand vista" shooting. P&S are smaller and lighter, I like being able to toss it in the lower right pocket of the cargo pants I'm typically wearing while traveling. I didn't want to haul around lenses, etc. It is super easy to use, offering an "intelligent auto" mode that works pretty well most of the time (though sometimes I'll spot focus the sky to force the foreground to darken a tad and bring out the color a bit). Lastly, mine has a panorama mode that I thought I'd use for "grand vista" shooting more, but honestly it has turned out to be something I don't use much (though I still do a panorama of really nice views).

There are times I wish I had gone with a DSLR. I'm sure my pictures could be better, but they are good enough. If anything, I wish I had gotten a new P&S for this current trip and passed my current camera on to my kids. The majority of my pictures are taken either on hikes / walks, or from me jumping out of the car at a view point to snap a few quick pics, or even shooting from a moving car. It's nice to have light-weight, portable, and cheap enough (that I don't mind hanging it out of a window at 60mph -- no, I'm not driving when I do that to snap a pic) camera for these trips.

If I were taking more micro-nature shots (like insects, birds, etc.) or higher action shots (sports, wildlife) or did the majority of my photography at home where portability was not a concern I'd definitely want a DSLR.

Real controls, small size? That look interesting.

rx100-pocket_1_610x458.jpg

Abit expensive though ($650), but worth every penny.

Gaaraz

God fucking damn the RX100 is tempting, but it's over £450! Going to have to speak with my girlfriend before ordering too, because I won't have room for it in my pockets (phone in one, wallet/keys in the other) and not sure how happy she'd be walking around with something worth that much in her bag - I know she'd feel really bad if she lost it!

But still, we've got Ireland, London and somewhere else (maybe Florida, assuming we don't go too crazy on the camera!) trips coming up so it'd be great to have something better than a phone.

I'm going to be so fucking gutted if the iPhone 5 camera is really good though :D

S100 is also good, but I still went for RX100, and like most reviewers says, this really is the best P&S camera so far.

Your choice man :)

tino

Banned
Canon S100 (another that's been regularly mentioned in this thread) is listed as an alternative and that's quite tempting too tbh, it's half the price at least - http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_rx100_review/rivals/

Is that a better option as a point and shoot? It actually has a slightly better zoom (4x) than the RX100 (3.6x) too.

No. Rx100's sensor is 2.5 times bigger than s100 and other highend p&s. Dont pay attention to zoom ratio, its pretty meaningless. A camera's zoom range start out from 24mm (equivalent) instead of 28mm is much harder to make and much more useful than a higher zoom ratio.

G_Berry

Banned
Buying a Fuji Finepix x100 soon so I can get used to it before I go OS.

As good as my galaxy S3's cam is, it can't compare to a real camera.

Gaaraz

Thank you tino, I can't even see the sensor size for the DSC-WX150 which isn't very promising either. Really not sure how I feel about spending that much on a camera when I don't know how often I'll use it though...

RX100. Just ordered one. Such a sick camera!

If it's good I will probably sell my Canon 40D, I'll keep the lenses in case I get an NEX x Metabones or decide to buy another Canon.

I can't wait until it arrives!

tino

Banned
Thank you tino, I can't even see the sensor size for the DSC-WX150 which isn't very promising either. Really not sure how I feel about spending that much on a camera when I don't know how often I'll use it though...

If the zoom ratio is over 5 you are pretty much looking at 1/2.3" or gasp! 1/2.6". Google wx150 sensor size shows that it has a 1/2.3" sensor.

IMO if it has a 1/2.6" sensor you should not touch it at all. Its not going to be that much better than an iPhone. Just use your smartphone.

You can buy slightly older P&S with large 1/1.6" sensor. For example Lx3 lx5 s95 s100 g9 g10 g11 g12 etc. I got a fuji f200exr for $100 on ebay.

Falch

What is GAF's thoughts on those "mirrorless" ones?

I have a Sony NEX 5 and I love it. It's my first entry into photography and I'm really pleased with it. Bought it before a big trip to California and was very happy I was carrying a good camera around.

Then take photos and read. Everything you need to learn is in the web, then apply it. Also a kit lens will just give you decent quality(assuming that's what you have). Get a prime lens (50mm or 35mm) and you'll be amazed.

I got the Canon 600d with a two lens kit, an 18 - 55mm lens and a 55 - 250mm one. That's decent, yeah?

Thanks for all your help =)

Whenever I am traveling to some beautiful location, I weep for the rubes taking shots with their smart phones. Enjoy your blurry low res poorly framed pictures. So yes it is worth it.

Meier

I don't usually bring my camera with me but I always wish I had when I don't. The iPhone 4 definitely is fine for day-to-day random stuff but if I ever want a decent picture, I do regret it. It's only solid under absolutely ideal conditions.. and even then, it's still a bit disappointing. I am quite anxious for the 5 to come out.. can't wait to get a new camera in my phone.

Big-E

I am not a camera person so a smart phone is good enough for me. People saying you need a better camera are people who like photography and taking pictures. If you don't like doing that and are not that in to pictures, stick with your phone.

kehs

Banned
Figured this was timely:

Tom "MySpace" Anderson said:
The shot on the left was taken with my Galaxy Nexus cell phone and processed via Instagram filter in a few seconds. Total Cost: FREE I need a phone, the camera just comes with it, right?

The shot on the right was taken with my Nikon 800E and Lens and processed in Lightroom 4 ($150) in about an hour. Total Cost: $4,550 (Camera $3,300, Lens $1,000, CF Card $100, Lightroom 4 $150)

Earlier this week, I was out shooting with my Nikon all day and not really getting anything I liked. Then I took the photo on the left with my Android and I instantly loved it. It was a bit frustrating to be honest! So I tried to take the same photo with my Nikon (that's the shot you see on the right). It took me several minutes to try and frame the same shot (and, as you can see, I still couldn't get the exact same composition). It was much easier to hold the cell phone at a certain spot and get an angle by looking at the live screen on my cell phone than it was with my Nikon on a tripod.

When I got home, I started working on my Nikon DSLR photo. I had to crop it up to cell phone dimensions and then processed it in Lightroom 4. It took me about an hour to get a similar effect to the cell phone pic. Of course it only took a few seconds to choose the Instagram filter. (Note: I've also used my Android's in-phone processing to get results I like in a just a few minutes.)

Now ultimately, I'm much, much happier with the large version of my Nikon DSLR pic. When you compare the photos at full size on a big screen, there is no comparison. The Android pic quality is not as sharp and the Instagram filter adds a lot of grain to the image that only looks good to me on a small screen. When I process an image by hand (as opposed to choosing a single filter), I can be a lot more precise and dodge and burn different parts of the image.

photobattle1024.jpg

https://plus.google.com/112063946124358686266/posts/aJEgi8tkC7e

Macmanus

this isn't an apples to apples comparison at all. Hell, we don't know what he did in lightroom nor do we know what filters instagram used.

Doesn't matter. The text body explains the obvious: At native resolution the DSLR blows away the cell phone pic - which is the point of this thread.

At any rate I love my entry level Nikon D3100, but wish I sprang for the D5100 for the auto-bracketing.

The RX100 is a super dope mirrorless, and the Nikon J2 just launched at $550, which is supposed to be a solid deal.

Personally I'd go with a DSLR and grab a telescopic lens (zoom) and a prime lens (fixed range - good for casual close quarters and night shots.) Along with the kit lens (18-55 in Nikon - and it's actually quite good) you'll have the bases covered for a fresh amateur. Normal distance. Zoom distance. Close distance. Night and day.

You'll have to fork over some dough for a serious macro lens, but I was able to take this pic a few days ago with the stock 18-55.

It's an awesome hobby - and something everyone appreciates. I really can't recommend it enough.

Gaaraz

I think Tom raises a good point, it depends on what you want out of it - I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 shots for the most part provided the conditions are right, but in low light, or if I need a zoom, it's obviously utterly useless - I know the iPhone 5 will improve in this regard (maybe not the zoom) but I'm still considering something else.

I'm looking at sample shots of the S100 now, they're good, but not a huge step up from my old Z1050 it seems, so I may just use that if I need zoom, and my iPhone for other things... seems without going DSLR there isn't a massive noticable difference, and that includes even the RX100 tbh, quite underwhelmed: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca...t-cameras/sony-rx100-1083683/review?artc_pg=6

Would you guys go S95 for £200, LX5 for £240, or S100 for £270? Narrowed it down to those at least...

I have the LX5 and absolutely love it. Great P&S camera, although it is a bit on the large size compared to other models. Still, it gives you an insane amount of control for a P&S, takes great photos and is fun to use.

I'm in the market for a mirrorless camera to add to my set-up. I'm a travel writer who takes a lot of photos on the road, but my DSLR (Nikon D90) and lenses get a bit heavy on some trips. Looking to lighten up my load and leaning towards one of Panasonic's offerings of the Nikon J1/J2.

Gaaraz

Thank you, agreed that the LX5 seems to be a fantastic camera, but part of my concern is just what you said - it's great to play around with the settings etc if you know what you're doing, I really want just a P&S! Plus it's a lot bigger than the S100, hmm!

Out of interest, why would you need a J1/J2 as well as the LX5? Is it just that it takes photos a lot quicker?

Gaaraz

Went with the S100 - read/watched a few reviews and it was always very highly recommended, seemed to trounce anything else similar on Snapsort too other than the RX100 which costs over twice what I paid... so not too bad :)

Falch

Went with the S100 - read/watched a few reviews and it was always very highly recommended, seemed to trounce anything else similar on Snapsort too other than the RX100 which costs over twice what I paid... so not too bad :)

Excellent choice, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. I expect works of art in the photography thread shortly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom