• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter by Uber Entertainment [Ended, $2.33M funded]

Well, PCGamer has revealed a new title called Planetary Annihilation by Uber Entertainment (Monday Night Combat and Super Monday Night Combat). And there is a long preview of the title and an interview with the co-founder of Uber Entertainment (who worked with Chris Taylor on Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander).

Here is the preview: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/pla...view-when-strategy-worlds-collide-with-moons/

Here is the interview: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/planetary-annihilation-interview/

Here is the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts

Supreme Commander’s scale could become sort of mind-boggling. The sheer amount of things you had to look after and control was really challenging. When I hear about Planetary Annihilation, my first reaction is, “Oh my God, now there’s entirely different planets, entirely different play areas.” So I’m curious… How are you going to handle the complexity that comes from a shift like that?

Mavor: There’s a couple things. First of all, the idea behind the game is scalability. I think if you look at TA, it had that. It had this level of scalability where you could play on a pretty small map and have a pretty quick game with just one other person. You could play a 20-minute game of TA on a small map. That’s what some people were comfortable with and willing to do. And then you could get on bigger maps where you get eight players and just take hours. You’d have insane numbers of units and all that stuff.

That’s who this game is being made for. The people who really do want to deal with the complexity of bajillions of units across multiple playfields and smashing planets together.

With Planetary Annihilation, it’s the same thing. The idea is, if you want to have a quick game, you can do that. You can set a low unit count. You can play on a small map. You can do that kind of thing. The idea behind this game, though, is to give those fans that want to control vast armies the ability to do that. That’s who this game is being made for. The people who really do want to deal with the complexity of bajillions of units across multiple playfields and smashing planets together. It’s really oriented towards those kinds of players. So I don’t necessarily see that as a problem. It’s something I like about the game, how big it can get. The design goal here is to be able to do maps that are even bigger than what we did in some of these other games, in terms of player counts and stuff like that. Imagine you had four or five planets. Each planet starts out with five or six players on it. You battle it out on your planet first as you’re building up your economy and you try to get bootstrapped and take out the other guys on your planet. Then the war goes interplanetary. And the game could last for 12 hours or something like that. I definitely envision those kinds of battles. This is really for the people that want that kind of stuff. That’s what we’re trying to do.

There will be a Kickstarter going up today for the game.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Total Annihilation is still the best RTS ever made, so yeah I am all over this.

Total Annihilation is the second best game ever made, this sounds great.

I want to set a fighter on a patrol move from my home planet, press F and follow him on a mission to another planet and see if he returns back.

I also want to send my boats into space. With artillery.

StayDead

I wasn't even particularly fond of the original supreme commander... can't put my finger on why.

I don't like Sup Com compared to TA as every unit seemed so small and insignificant. Units in TA felt like they had meat to them.

It's why I'll always prefer Starcraft to both, but I grew up with TA so it'll always have a massive place in my heart. The Arm <3

Wthermans

Banned
900k? :X and i thought SMC was decently successful for UBER.

LOL no. SMNC has been a disaster for them and they're barely staying afloat. Their churn is ridiculous and they've made every effort to hide the true player counts of their game.

Other then the Soundrtack of TA was never a fan of these games, but now that I don't play Starcraft anymore I will be checking this out for sure.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I wasn't even particularly fond of the original supreme commander... can't put my finger on why.

I thought it was great - one of my favorite RTS games but before Forged Alliance the units were slower, almost the same between factions, games took too long etc. Forged Alliance was better in almost every way except for a few things like the super units actually felt super in the original - not so much in FA. Also they kind of half assed making the units turn faster and screwed up the animation system and along with it the units moving like they were huge.

There's also more basic things like the way resources work is more confusing than other RTS but it's one of the things that makes that game good once you figure it out. One of the problems with Chris Taylor games is they are always running out of money as an independent studio (one of the reasons they ended up doing so many shitty cash in projects) so they decide to change away from that resource model in Supreme Commander 2 to a more traditional RTS model and don't have the time to really polish it. I'm glad they went back to the "streaming resource economy" in this game because it really sets that series of RTS games apart (even if causes a lot of confusion from new players)

Nome

Supreme Commander was a poor attempt to bring TA back to life, so hopefully this will do better.

I hope it picks up steam, and if it does get the attention of the competitive TA/SC community, PLEASE bring some of them onboard as consultants. I don't think anyone enjoyed the T1 spam in SC :X

Boerseun

Banned
"Uber" makes no sense. I can only assume these people meant to name their company "Über Entertainment" but no one cared enough to figure out the ASCII code for Ü.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Aw yeah it's the TA narrator. His voice and the music together bring back quite pleasant memories.

Video was one of the best I've ever seen for a Kickstarter. *marked*

I'm kinda wary of Uber because I haven't heard that many good things about MNC but I remain optimistic.

Lothars

LOL no. SMNC has been a disaster for them and they're barely staying afloat. Their churn is ridiculous and they've made every effort to hide the true player counts of their game.
Yeah I don't believe you at all, Your also the one that says they are making horrible Moba's.

It sucks if it isn't doing well but I would like to see proof.

Lime

That trailer was pure TA fanservice. So many homages to the original TA intro, it almost made me cry from pure nostalgia.

In any way, I don't like the art style too much. Too round and soft with too few alterations on colours to make me consider supporting the project. For now at least.

Wthermans

Banned
Isn't your avatar from MNC?

Yessir. Used to like them in the MNC days, but their development of SMNC has been a disaster. Been too lazy to find/make a new av.

Yeah I don't believe you at all, Your also the one that says they are making horrible Moba's.

It sucks if it isn't doing well but I would like to see proof.

Your beliefs are your own /shrug. SMNC is a pretty terrible MOBA. Just look at the Steam player data for your proof. Or just read the SMNC thread on GAF.

ultron87

I'd feel more confident if they showed something besides a fancy concept video, even if it did show some interesting stuff.

Wthermans

Banned
I'd feel more confident if they showed something besides a fancy concept video, even if it did show some interesting stuff.

It's not even in production.

Ekanaut said:
sprech41 said:
How are you guys going to support two games at once if this goes through? I need to know if you can do it before I donate.

Edit: Nevermind, I think this got answered in another thread

This is just an idea to see if it's something players want. Not going to go into production until it gets funded. When and if it does, we'll look to expand that team.

SupCom1 is great and SupCom2 pretty fun despite the problems GPG caused it by going after console and casual audience. Its a shame that they gave away the license to the IP, and then gave up on doing interesting games.

Acosta

How about no. He's made 2 good games and like 8 terribad ones.

I'll dispute the "terribad" part and even accepting that, the two "good" games are extraordinary ones and this is right in his field.

Taylor is a brilliant designer (and a great guy but that's beyond the point). I wish he was involved.

The video is lovely.

Izayoi

Banned
Holy shit out of nowhere. My favorite RTS "series" of all time. I loved the shit out of CC and FA.

Wow, not digging the art style at all though. Doesn't really matter if the gameplay is there, but that's kinda disappointing.

Fuck it, dropped $95.

pmj

Not a fan of the series, but that's one amazing video. I think I'll get TA, because I didn't give it a fair shake back when it was new.

ubercheez

Loved Total Annihilation back in the day, but completely missed Supreme Commander when that came out. I did feel that even TA could get a little out of hand with the scale of its battles, so I guess it's a good thing I didn't end up trying SC. o_O

Anyway, with Starcraft 2 catching on as an e-sport, I'm glad to see some competition from the other classic RTS games.

Top Bottom