• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter by Uber Entertainment [Ended, $2.33M funded]

Llyranor

Saw the video, read the interview/preview.

I'm not even a huge RTS fan, but sold on the concept alone. For 20$, I'm in.

Bringing the battlefield across multiple planets? Smashing said planets? This is what gaming is all about!

The game will live or die by its interface.

Saw the video, read the interview/preview.

I'm not even a huge RTS fan, but sold on the concept alone. For 20$, I'm in.

Bringing the battlefield across multiple planets? Smashing said planets? This is what gaming is all about!

Agreed. The epic scale reminds me of Spore. The game seemed totally awesome in previews but was pretty mediocre in practice. I just hope Planetary Annihilation can live up to its hype.

Izayoi

Banned
They are apparently expanding upon Supreme Commander's ability to use multiple viewports/monitors, each one independently zoomable, and with the ability to control units from any one of them. I have a feeling that it will be fine, but it will be interesting to see how they make it work on one monitor - perhaps some form of base hotbar where you can assign icons to your different bases and click one and have the view snap to that location.

Llyranor

Perhaps a flexible picture-in-picture system.

Hahahaha, multi-monitors sounds pretty awesome. You have your main screen, and have 4 mini-screens on each of your 2 side monitors. Just click on a side view to switch it with your main monitor. So at any one time, you can keep tabs of 9 different areas (for example). Hehehehehehe. Info overload!

Izayoi

Banned
Perhaps a flexible picture-in-picture system.

Hahahaha, multi-monitors sounds pretty awesome. You have your main screen, and have 4 mini-screens on each of your 2 side monitors. Just click on a side view to switch it with your main monitor. So at any one time, you can keep tabs of 9 different areas (for example). Hehehehehehe. Info overload!
Yeah. Multi-monitors were nice in Supreme Commander, but they could definitely be improved upon. It sounds like that's exactly what they're aiming to do, so I guess we'll see how it turns out. Are you a member of the uber forums? They have a PA section and are currently interfacing with fans about the game, if you'd like to join in on the conversation.

Perkel

Banned
Music artist will need a lot of work to beat TA jasper work. It's fucking amazing

Pledged 20$

Love concept of the game and they know what was awesome about TA. Question is will they have skills to create it on that level.

Izayoi

Banned
535,000 dollars!
We're getting there!

I hope that the planetary systems will be complex, not just 2-3 objects you jump between.
They've mentioned having at least half a dozen planets, which means at least half a dozen moons as well, and who knows how many asteroids.

Perkel

Banned
Unfair.

Northwest Sinfonia Orchestra vs low budget composer's synth equipment.

I mean, TA still sounds way better than anything Jeremy Soule is churning out nowadays, anyway.

Nah, i didn't say that to say PA need to be better than TA. Just to show, the bar is very high even in music.

As of thread i hope units will be as responsive as in TA.

It's never tiring to watch how brigade of pewee shots from theis mashine guns.

Raide

I hope the team based co-op is in there. I also hope they go for varied classes and not just blue/red versions of the same units. Would kill for a new Kingdoms game but this will do fine for me.

Now if you can have extended online games with 16+ players and actually have galaxies of planets with your units on and have massive planet wars, I will be all over it.

Raide

Ew.

Explain!

Liked the mix of varied races while still retaining the leader idea from the first game. I just found it a bit more exciting coming from the first game just using robots. Also the chance in theme gave you more varied maps to play on. Plus I played a load of it co-op with a friend. Great fun handing over units and play 2 races to balance each side out.

I do hope they have the unit mod support from the first game. That would be awesome.

...I went from excited to unsure pretty quickly upon looking at that Kickstarter.

I'll watch the preview, and see how I feel. But as it stands, I'm kind of iffy. (Also, the 15 dollar tier sold out? That's irritating. I just found out about this today.)

...I went from excited to unsure pretty quickly upon looking at that Kickstarter.

I'll watch the preview, and see how I feel. But as it stands, I'm kind of iffy. (Also, the 15 dollar tier sold out? That's irritating. I just found out about this today.)

It is a bit risky as there is no actual gameplay out, as impressive as the video of the kickstarter is I doubt that it's representative of the end-product (in terms of graphic and smoothness of gameplay) but Uber entertainment have put out some good products so hopefully this one will be too.

Another update is planned for today. Also, for those who haven't seen it and are curious, there's a semi-official confirmed feature list on Uber's forums.

From that list, these are the possible stretch-goals:

• Matchmaking
  • Naval
  • Single player campaign
+2 more according to the kickstarter:

f14520b0100519a712cacbc41a1c7a1f_large.png

So in 9 days, they've managed to get $636,743 pledged of $900,000 goal.
There is usually a rush at the start, and a gradual slow-down as the kickstarter continues, for it to be picked up again towards the very end of it.
Regardless, around $70,000 is the daily average, and using that number would make this kickstarter finish at over 2 million dollars.

I think at least the first stretch goal will be reached, and maybe the 2nd and 3rd.

Over $700,000 with 21 days to go!
They're getting about $70,000 every day now, and considering that there is usually a rush towards the very end of the kickstarter I think we'll see more than one stretch-goal reached.

derFeef

Over $700,000 with 21 days to go!
They're getting about $70,000 every day now, and considering that there is usually a rush towards the very end of the kickstarter I think we'll see more than one stretch-goal reached.

We will see a small decline when the goal is reached though, that always happens.
Still, very good news.

We will see a small decline when the goal is reached though, that always happens.
Still, very good news.

I do hope that they put those stretch goals in a DLC or seperate kickstarter if they aren't reached.
It's such a tease to say that we "might" get this and that awesome feature, only for them to end up not being included in the final product.

PA is trending towards ~2m so I hope they'll end up somewhere between 1.5 and 1.7. I hope stretchgoal 3 is a singleplayer campagin.

I hope one of the goals is space combat. They said somewhere that they don't want anything too complicated but I think it would be so very awesome.

DXPett1

PA is trending towards ~2m so I hope they'll end up somewhere between 1.5 and 1.7. I hope stretchgoal 3 is a singleplayer campagin.

This is exactly what I am hoping for too.

I hope one of the goals is space combat. They said somewhere that they don't want anything too complicated but I think it would be so very awesome.

I'd rather they not muddy the water too much. TA was great because it follows the KISS method

Raide

Will drop in some cash when I get paid. Will support this because it looks awesome. Also glad to here modding of units is also planned.

Now give us some ChromeHounds style MP mode where players pick a faction and fight over territory that is made up of an entire galaxy.

Damn, seems like only the MP stretchgoals will be funded. I seem to recall something about an SP campaign possibly being part of the added goals but must be lv 4 or 5. *sad*

Izayoi

Banned
Now give us some ChromeHounds style MP mode where players pick a faction and fight over territory that is made up of an entire galaxy.
Total Annihilation had that many years ago. It was called Boneyards. Every week players sided with either the Core or the Arm and fought for control of a different star system. Mavor has hinted that he'd like to bring it back in some form, I would not be surprised if it was the third stretch goal.

Damn, seems like only the MP stretchgoals will be funded. I seem to recall something about an SP campaign possibly being part of the added goals but must be lv 4 or 5. *sad*
I'm willing to bet it's the final stretch goal, probably around $2,000,000. There's no way it will happen unless an angel investor steps in (or they call in some favors for advertising). We'll be lucky to hit even the second stretch goal at this rate.

Raide

Total Annihilation had that many years ago. It was called Boneyards. Every week players sided with either the Core or the Arm and fought for control of a different star system. Mavor has hinted that he'd like to bring it back in some form, I would not be surprised if it was the third stretch goal.

I did not know that. The name kinda rings a bell but I don't remember playing that mode. Hopefully they bring it back!

Izayoi

Banned
I did not know that. The name kinda rings a bell but I don't remember playing that mode. Hopefully they bring it back!
I guess technically the platform it was hosted on was called Boneyards, it was basically Cavedog's online service for TA. The actual metagame was called Galactic War. It wasn't so much a "mode," you played normal skirmishes in it, but like the Chromehounds version that came after, it gave you something greater to strive for than just a skirmish victory. I played the shit out of it back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneyards

Top Bottom