• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter by Uber Entertainment [Ended, $2.33M funded]

BlazinAm

The only thing that is interesting is that they are Giant Bomb fans. How is there a previews for a game that is not in production?! Game journalism o yeah!

Chev

The only thing that is interesting is that they are Giant Bomb fans. How is there a previews for a game that is not in production?! Game journalism o yeah!

Big publishers get previews when they only have cg trailers or even a few poorly doctored bullshots to show all the time. No reason small devs can't do it too.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Holy shit out of nowhere. My favorite RTS "series" of all time. I loved the shit out of CC and FA.

Wow, not digging the art style at all though. Doesn't really matter if the gameplay is there, but that's kinda disappointing.

Fuck it, dropped $95.

Dropped the same amount on it.
This game must be made.
Huuge fan of TA and SC.

Rizific

WOW finally! absolutely loved TA back in the day. staying up late in jr high on boneyards over dial up 56k. oh man make it good PLEASE.

edit: just clicked the link...not diggin that art style

KKRT00

After video i dont know, it better be just fast concept showing new features, not actual planned design, because i dont want TA game without destructable and non-elevated maps and without explosion physics affecting units.

sk3

Banned
The artstyle is weird. It's too flat.. and TF2ish. I'm not sure how I feel about only 1 faction. Has that ever been done in an RTS before? If there is enough unit differentiation (always a sore spot with TA/SC), I guess it could work.

I'd buy it when it comes out but for a $20 indie I'm not expecting much.

not into RTS games really especially multiplayer RTS

but wow, that video was insane. I feel like backing this just because its so friggin amazing a concept

Keasar

I have no idea what just happened, one minute I was reading this thread and in the next I woke up throwing my wallet at the screen and somehow feeling 15 dollars poorer.

Kyari

Aren't they like 12 dudes right now?
I know its stupid but taking on another project just makes me worry that SMNC won't be updated as frequently :(

DXPett1

New TA?

fuckyeah_supernatural.gif

Backed that shit for $50

Reddit thread with Q&A with one of the devs: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/y9yqy/uber_entertainment_presents_planetary/

Smash88

Banned
$950,000 will not be reached.
Prove me wrong.

Defense Grid 2 barely hit $250,000 and that game was amazing, albeit the price of $1,000,000, was way to high.

People are relying too heavily on Kickstarter.

Even though this game looks freaking amazing and I would want it so bad.

DTKT

Defense Grid 2 barely hit $250,000 and that game was amazing, albeit the price of $1,000,000, was way to high.

Total Annihilation is a bit more known than Defense Grid. It's an old but respected name in the RTS genre.

I backed and hope they reach their goal!

Card Boy

Banned
Uber Entertainment killed both Monday Night Combat and Super Monday Night Combat. Not sure how I feel about this Kickstarter.

Prove me wrong.

Defence Grid 2 KS was an obvious money grab. 1 million dollars for a Tower Defense game is a joke.

BlazinAm

The scale of the game seems high for about 1million dollars, i am assuming that they have ability to a allocate funds to make the game on the scale as other rts games.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I noticed you can go to http://planetaryannihilation.com/ and give them money via paypal. For those who don't live in the US or can't use the amazon payments kickstarter uses (the kickstarter is here). edit: t might make sense to wait until the kickstarter is funded because the money could disappear into a black hole if they don't get funded

Oxirane

TA was the first game I bought with money I saved by myself (AU$90 in Australia) rather than being a gift. Went to buy Red Alert but bought TA instead based on the box.
Loved the resource model and scale and survived on mods until Spring RTS popped up and then onto Supreme Commander.

Besides being a great game I think that the modding community was one of the great things that sustained TA over time. That seemed to reduce for SupCom 1/2 and Demigod. Not sure if it was a combination of no tools and more complex systems, or that they just weren't popular enough games.

As for PA:
The business model they choose may affect whether or not I invest too much into the game. I'm not sure how modable the game can be if they will want to monetize post launch content. Unless they allow user made content to be sold and they take a cut. Or release expansions which constantly change the game systems so modders just don't recreate the units.

I'm probably just too used to paying for a game upfront and maybe expansions later, while small bits of content are free or user created.

DXPett1

As for PA:
The business model they choose may affect whether or not I invest too much into the game. I'm not sure how modable the game can be if they will want to monetize post launch content. Unless they allow user made content to be sold and they take a cut. Or release expansions which constantly change the game systems so modders just don't recreate the units.

I'm probably just too used to paying for a game upfront and maybe expansions later, while small bits of content are free or user created.

As I commented in the reddit thread I would love to see them use Steamworks Workshop to facilitate mods/maps etc... Hopefully that would mean the community can reward itself and the developers get a small bit of cash too (for use for future content maybe?)

I'm starting to think that the 900K funding price is for the ENTIRE team to work on it, which sounds counter intuitive for a starter goal. For 300K, Tim Schaefer only wanted three people to work on DFA. The millions turned into an active project.
This? I don't know. If SMNC and MNC is flailing as much as you guys say, this might be their last game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The robots even look like peewees! And the narrator!!

I'm in.

Server based multiplayer sounds really interesting too.

derFeef

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/289765
Offline / LAN play support
By popular demand we are happy to announce that we will support LAN play and running your own servers! There will be elements of the game that are online only and will only be available when connected. For example things like player stats, auto-updating, metagame etc. However, we feel it’s important to be able to have an offline experience as well.

DRM-Free
For offline play, the game will be DRM free. For online play that gives you access to the global community and social features, you will need to be logged in.

Multiple Language Support
At launch we are committing to support at least English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Other languages may follow based on demand.

Sharable Custom Commander
By popular demand we've decided to allow the $1000 level custom commander be sharable. We will send you 5 codes that you can choose to share with your friends. They can use the code to get access to the commander unit.

64-bit Support
We're confirming support for 64-bit operating systems.

The supporters of this Kickstarter are the ones we are listening to, so keep the suggestions coming!

Izayoi

Banned
I asked about quirky planet types in the Reddit thread, hopefully he'll get back to me about it. I loved the weird ones in TA (acid, crystal, slate, urban, metal) and they are sorely missed in SupCom.

I wish I had $10,000 to drop because I live close to Kirkland and would love to just hang out and check on the development (and strongly suggest the return of metal maps).

alf717

As an old TA player I hope this turns out better than Supreme Commander if the project is able to take off. I remember playing for hours with an old high school buddy. We would link via dial up back in those days. :D Man those were fun times.

On a side note and sorry to thread jack but. Anyway to get Battle Tactics and The Core Contingency to work on a Windows 7 x64 install? The news has me in the mood to play TA again but only the TA discs works and not the expansion packs. Without have to buy a digital version anyone know what to do to get TA on a modern PC from the original discs?

KKRT00

As an old TA player I hope this turns out better than Supreme Commander if the project is able to take off. I remember playing for hours with an old high school buddy. We would link via dial up back in those days. :D Man those were fun times.

On a side note and sorry to thread jack but. Anyway to get Battle Tactics and The Core Contingency to work on a Windows 7 x64 install? The news has me in the mood to play TA again but only the TA discs works and not the expansion packs. Without have to buy a digital version anyone know what to do to get TA on a modern PC from the original discs?

Just play Total Annihilation Spring http://springrts.com/

totowhoa

Banned
:O Fond memories of this game and many of those other early and mid-90s PC RTS games. Video looks really great too. I'm still not jumping in on KS games, but I'm looking forward to this. Glad it's getting plenty of support.

I once made a tactical error early on in a TA mission and ended up spending the better part of a day in a territory battle for inches. Kept going & didn't just reset the mission because it was simply so much fun(core for ever).

it's on like donkey kongs schlong.

Top Bottom