• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Achievements/Trophies

It appears Wii U will have some kind of achievements after all.

untitledjxjiv.jpg

Posted by Disorientador on the Wii U thread.

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?106-Project-CARS.-Game-Design-Documentation

I hope they're useful, like the 3DS coins. Maybe lets us unlock crazy Mii accessories with them. If not Id would be just as happy to have a % number beside the games title to show how much of the game is completed and not bother with a gamer score.

EagleEyes

Microsoft really knocked one out of the park with achievements. Every company has been scrambling to find something similar. I am glad the wii U is gonna have something like that though as its hard to play games these days without them, for me at least.

Are the words Trophies and Achievements copyright/patented/trademarked or something? I don't know why Sony decided to go for "Trophies" (though I love the idea of gold, silver, platinum) and I don't know why Nintendo is going for Accomplishments.

Isn't that the worst way to admit you're copying? I like the word "Achievement". It's consistent with a lot of other softwares such as Steam.

Judging from the screenshot, there won't be a points system with it. This is a good thing.

it can't be seen in that? it doesn't have X360 points listed either. just says to be determined on both, which actually is more like "amount of points to be determined" instead of gold, silver, bronze ;D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's good that there's no arbitrary points value assigned to them. It'd be neat if there's a framework they fit into, like Playstation trophies. They could do interesting things in conjunction with Miiverse and the many social systems built into Wii U.

Still don't get the freaking out over achievement systems if you don't care about them. It requires literally no effort to ignore them. It requires more effort to get mad at them.

Nintendo has had the equivalent of achievements in their own games before. They even added them to Find Mii.

Wario Land Shake It also had a detailed achievements system that involved a lot of tricky coals for each stage in the game.

What Nintendo seems to dislike is the idea of online leaderboards and broadcasting accomplishments. They're too afraid that someone's going to feel bad (it literally is that asinine).

But, the preview images for NSMB U actually show people's Mii's bragging about completion times for levels on the world map, so they may have finally caved in.

sublimit

Banned
So will they be mandatory for all developers like trophies and achievements are?I remember Nintendo saying they will not force them.
If that's the case i don't think most developers will bother with them.

Eusis

I thought Nintendo don't wanted to enter that space? Or is that exclusive to 3rd party games? Or even on/off turnable?
Maybe they'll make it an optional system like on Steam. Alternatively, they don't like it but it's become too big of a deal with the competition to ignore it.

Well, I just hope I can turn off notifications, or I will be annoyed by them.
So will they be mandatory for all developers like trophies and achievements are?I remember Nintendo saying they will not force them.
If that's the case i don't think most developers will bother with them.
Go take a look at Steam and see how many support achievements. Even if optional I guarantee more often than not they'll be used.

It makes sense, especially since the that is what they are called in the Mii Plaza.

I would have preferred coins too though.

EuroMIX

#ACCOMPLISHMENT!!! YOU FOUND A YELLOW RUPEE!!#

#ACCOMPLISHMENT!!! YOU FOUND A BLUE RUPEE!!!#

#ACCOMPLISHMENT!!! YOU USED A BIG KEY!!!#

And so on. Immersive HD Zelda, here we come!
I'd love it if Nintendo did that just to troll everyone.

Vicarious Visions picked this for Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock as well. Not sure if any other games used the term. I thought it worked rather well.

Hopefully they are implemented in such a way that they don't encourage getting them just for e-penis purposes. In-game unlockables and trivial things like Mii hats or whatever would be fine.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd love it but it would clash with finding medals in NSMB games...

"GOLD MEDAL: you found 3 gold medals"

I need another coffee maybe
It shouldnt be a problem because they could use an icon for the things instead of text :) Like with PS3 trophy, there is a picture of a bronze, silver or goldy trophy, then it says what the trophy is called.

Goldrusher

I like Trophies the best.

Trophies are the prizes for achievements and accomplishments.

*ding* You've earned a trophy.
vs.
*bing* Achievement unlocked.

Nintendo should've gone with medals or ribbons.

tumblr_m39ie9mhln1rske8s3a.gif

Call 'em Pikmins and use different color Pikmin to represent different point totals. Who would be sad to see a Pikmin run across their screen when they got an achievement?

Top Bottom