• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Achievements/Trophies

Chaplain

What else could they call them?

I always thought Nintendo was going to call them Gamer Coins.

150524726.png

They would look like the coins found in any of the Mario games, and come in bronze, silver, gold and platinum. These coins could be used as points to buy things from Nintendo's website.

Guess this will not happen now. =[

BHZ Mayor

Still don't get the freaking out over achievement systems if you don't care about them. It requires literally no effort to ignore them. It requires more effort to get mad at them.

The "bloop" breaks my immersion and makes me remember I'm playing a video game.

On a serious note, I can understand hating multiplayer trophies/achievements since everyone trying to get them gets in the way of the natural flow of the game. Single player ones though? Yeah, I don't get it either.

AntMurda

In before.

"Maybe Nintendo will tie Accomplishments into Nintendo Club and you will get free stuff for beating games".

One of my favorite Nintendo memes next to "x" game should be packed in at launch.

JaseMath

"Accomplishments" doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, but I'm glad Nintendo is finally incorporating something like this.

Somnid

Interesting but I'm not sure that's much of a confirmation. Several Wii and 3DS games use similar systems that are just game specific.

Though I also have little reason to doubt Nintendo would have caved on this simply because they want 3rd parties and they want parity.

ElFly

Jesus they could not have picked a more generic name.

Should have gone with something gaming related. Coins, treasures, rupees, dunno.

FyreWulff

Judging from the screenshot, there won't be a points system with it. This is a good thing.

This. It was interesting at first, but the stupid points system has held back the 360's (and by extension, the PS3's) Achievement system. Let developers add all the achievements they want without having to worry about an arbitrary points cap.

Bulzeeb

why is everyone so surprised by Nintendo using this accomplishments, iirc they announced them a while ago and said it was up to developres to decided if htye wanted to use them or not, well I guess this is what happens when everybody keeps figthing over the console expecs instead of looking the machine as a whole

edit:

it should have been called SHINE GET
LLShC.gif

I support this idea haha its great

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Everyone's bent out of shape over the name of the achievements, when the real tragedy is that Nintendo chose to go with real money for the e-shop instead of rebranding Nintendo Points to Warios.

You cannot tell me you wouldn't love to log in and see every game priced as W1.99, W4.99, W9.99, etc.

Wario could laugh every time you clicked 'purchase'.

Pharros

Nintendo seriously needs to have a Nintendo Direct that not only goes over pricing and launch details, but also everything regarding the OS. I'd love to have more details about theses accomplishments and stuff.

I guess we must wait.

it should have been called SHINE GET
LLShC.gif

Everyone's bent out of shape over the name of the achievements, when the real tragedy is that Nintendo chose to go with real money for the e-shop instead of rebranding Nintendo Points to Warios.

You cannot tell me you wouldn't love to log in and see every game priced as W1.99, W4.99, W9.99, etc.

Wario could laugh every time you clicked 'purchase'.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/index.html

I hope they're useful, like the 3DS coins. Maybe lets us unlock crazy Mii accessories with them. If not Id would be just as happy to have a % number beside the games title to show how much of the game is completed and not bother with a gamer score.

Wanna send OCD dudes crazy? Have a profile wide completion percentage that is the average percentage of all games completion percentages. That'd be great.

I want to see the PR statement for this.

"Well as we have been ridiculously late to bring any sort of usable internet infrastructure to our home game consoles we had no choice but to call them accomplishments."

But really, they should have just gone cute with them and called them 1-ups or something.

Are the words Trophies and Achievements copyright/patented/trademarked or something? I don't know why Sony decided to go for "Trophies" (though I love the idea of gold, silver, platinum) and I don't know why Nintendo is going for Accomplishments.

Isn't that the worst way to admit you're copying? I like the word "Achievement". It's consistent with a lot of other softwares such as Steam.

M$ could afford it.

Derrick01

Banned
If the system is up to par with 360 and ps3's then good for Nintendo. This is a nice step towards showing that you understand modern features. It certainly makes me happy.

Woffls

Accs?

"Come over to my basement and check out my sweet new Accs"

"It looks like I'm busy until the end of forever, but have fun with your axe".

Top Bottom