• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Achievements/Trophies

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense I guess.

The Mii Plaza on the 3DS has Accomplishments as well. It sounds dumb to me, but whatever. I don't really care for achievements/trophies/accomplishments lol.

Boogybro

Are people actually struggling with the word "Accomplishments" or is this just your typical "It's Nintendo. Find something to complain about" thread?

IrishNinja

dear nintendo

please ignore the GAF weirdos and make them system-wide, also please give us gamercards cause those are awesome

and make it all optional i guess? whatever haha i dont care if you do this part

pvpness

It's good that there's no arbitrary points value assigned to them. It'd be neat if there's a framework they fit into, like Playstation trophies. They could do interesting things in conjunction with Miiverse and the many social systems built into Wii U.

Still don't get the freaking out over achievement systems if you don't care about them. It requires literally no effort to ignore them. It requires more effort to get mad at them.

Wario Land Shake It also had a detailed achievements system that involved a lot of tricky coals for each stage in the game.

What Nintendo seems to dislike is the idea of online leaderboards and broadcasting accomplishments. They're too afraid that someone's going to feel bad (it literally is that asinine).

But, the preview images for NSMB U actually show people's Mii's bragging about completion times for levels on the world map, so they may have finally caved in.

They already have this in Mario 3DLand. I know because i'm losing my mind trying to beat a couple of my friends times on different stages.

I really want to know when MiiVerse is coming to 3DS and how everything is going to fit within it (find Mii, accomplishments, etc). I'm hoping it's before the Wii U launches but I'm smart enough to know that it'll probably be several months after launch.

m.i.s.

Banned
Personally, loathe this trend for meta-game garbage. You just know it's going to be an avenue for developers to put the most mind-numbing and formulaic tasks and yet others that should have been integrated with the plot and design of the game itself.

A properly structured game should not need accomplishments.

images

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They already have this in Mario 3DLand. I know because i'm losing my mind trying to beat a couple of my friends times on different stages.

Yeah, the trick there is that it was still limited to local / streetpass competitive sharing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally, loathe this trend for meta-game garbage. You just know it's going to be an avenue for developers to put the most mind-numbing and formulaic tasks that should have been integrated with the plot and design of the game itself.

images

Games have always had 'meta game garbage' in them, starting with having a score.

There have always been games that reward performance with meaningless doodads like bronze, silver, or gold medals. Etc.

Every game that's ever had a 'statistics' screen is the same way, tracking everything from your time played, steps taken, shots fired, enemies killed, items collected, locations found, etc. All 'meaningless' bars to fill up.

Honestly, it always seemed to me what bugged people about achievements was the hype tied in to Xbox Live, broadcasting the achievements, and the formalization of a culture about achieving meta game goals. The dire warnings about how achievements will ruin games are not new; that was day one talk in 2005. And as with everything, it depends on how such ideas are used, not whether the idea should be tried at all.

It has been often said for years that the Xbox style achievement system is flawed, and other systems are better. A better example is the way blizzard uses achievements in their games now, or even the achievement system in Guild Wars 2 (which follows the blizzard model). The achievements are more like a roadmap of everything to do in the game, in advance, with surprising granularity. They call attention to goals one can aim for, and things to explore and find.

I guess it's just amazing such vitriol when the ship for formal meta game system has already sailed. They've been here for six years, and are just getting more refined. It's not going anywhere.

Derrick01

Banned
Personally, loathe this trend for meta-game garbage. You just know it's going to be an avenue for developers to put the most mind-numbing and formulaic tasks and yet others that should have been integrated with the plot and design of the game itself.

images

There's nothing wrong with a little extra motivation. I don't think most people are designing games with achievements in mind, which could limit what they might be able to do.

I choose to look at it positively. Would I have bothered learning and playing mahjong, shogi or pachinko in Yakuza 4 if not for trophies? Most likely no. That's wasted content. But I did play them and I actually kind of like the first two (the pachinko machine can rot in hell though).

There are plenty of cases of games with bad achievements or a whole set of bad achievements. I personally hate a game having ~20 achievements that are tied to just playing through the story, as I do that anyway. Those are wasted achievements IMO that could have went towards encouraging players to either try all of the side content or maybe experiment with the mechanics and pull off something wacky. But a game with a well done achievement list is enhanced for me.

m.i.s.

Banned
There have always been games that reward performance with meaningless doodads like bronze, silver, or gold medals. Etc.

Every game that's ever had a 'statistics' screen is the same way, tracking everything from your time played, steps taken, shots fired, enemies killed, items collected, locations found, etc. All 'meaningless' bars to fill up.

What you're describing is the actual structure and design of the game itself.

Just some quick points. In Mario Kart, I dislike the 3 stars award system because it's a dilution of awarding players bronze, silver and gold which is an aggregate of the player's finishing time and score. Why add the 3 star system when the lap times and bronze, silver and gold award already provide ample demarcation? And I've also found the stats screen on Mario Kart Wii peculiar too as Nintendo are attempting to make the series more acessible to players of all ages and skill levels.

flippedb

Banned
What's the deal with Accomplishments, people? I don't get why you love them. I hate when I'm playing something and a nasty Pop-Up appears on my screen saying I "achieved" something. It feels like using an Add Supported App on Android.

As others have mentioned, they've dabbled in this already:

3ds-accomplishments.jpg

I was hoping if/when they went system wide with it, though, they'd pick a different term.

I'm fine with them having no points associated with them. Steam certainly never needed it.
Hint: Did you know that PS3 Trophies have points in the back end? It's just that they're never explicitly talked about, and people have worked their way in figuring out how it all adds up (and pretty much structured the same as they are on the 360).

Toki767

Hint: Did you know that PS3 Trophies have points in the back end? It's just that they're never explicitly talked about, and people have worked their way in figuring out how it all adds up (and pretty much structured the same as they are on the 360).

What does that have to do with mentioning Steam not having points attached to achievements?

KageMaru

Don't know if this was pointed out or not, but IIRC "Accomplishments" was originally rumored to be on the PS3 years ago before trophies were revealed.

sakipon

But really, they should have just gone cute with them and called them 1-ups or something.
I agree, atleast that would display some personality. However I'm not sure everyone will be happy to get 1-ups, coins, stars or shines in their gritty and mature FPS games. It's a tricky decision.

Top Bottom