• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Game Director to Diablo 1/2 Project Lead: F**k that loser [Jay apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

Update:

More Brevik:

What do you think of Diablo 3?

David Brevik: They did a decent job. The game's pretty fun. There's lots of stuff they made some advancements on the whole Diablo franchise. But it is not the game I would have designed. It is not the game I originally designed for Diablo 3.

What advancements?

David Brevik: Some of the story stuff they did was much better than we'd ever done story before, and in that way it created a very different experience. Being able to be able to teleport to the other players and allow people to group up in a much easier fashion, those were some of the things that stood out to me as being much better than we had done before.

What do you feel fell short?

David Brevik: The skill system was very different than what we ever designed before. It played more like a load-out system from a shooter, which was a very different approach than we had ever even contemplated. I don't know if that necessarily works super well. Being able to change your build at any given time on the fly was a little bit too generous. So it fell down a little bit there.

There are other specific things, especially with the items and your main weapon powering a lot of your skills that were choices I would have not made.

What's your take on Blizzard's decision to make Diablo 3 always online?

David Brevik: I'm making a game that's always online, but it's different. I wouldn't make the same choices they made.

The fact is that it took a lot of time and money to make that game, and piracy is a problem. When you cannot manage that at all there are certain in which you're going to lose a lot of money. It comes down to, this is a business in the end, and when you spend that much time and effort on something, you've got to have some sort of path to recovery. Unfortunately it's a business choice more than anything.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-creator-breviks-diablo-3-was-very-different

---

From the other thread, felt like it deserved its own.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/yiftp/did_everyone_miss_the_drama/

D3 game director is Jay Wilson, who was previously at Relic.

Edit - Can someone link the image file? I'm on my phone.
Edit2- This is the first time I've witnessed a game developer publicly sparring. On a personal level.
Edit3: TLDR version:

David Brevik: "Honestly, I think that they did a lot of the things the best they could, it was a very different game than I would have created, the team and personalities, the people, the talent and all the design philosophies of the people that worked on it in Irvine, we called them Blizzard South, those people have their own style and the their own way they like to design. It was very, very different from the Blizzard North."

Jay Wilson: "Fuck that loser"

someone updated the cast list for the Facebook comments

r1y1k.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sometimes it's easy to forget that certain industry people are just like any other socially awkward person with no tact whatsoever... difference being some of them have pedestals to stand on.

Not really clued into what was wrong with Diablo 3 besides the whole 'always connect to the internet for a predominantly one-player game' thing, but wasn't that interview with the old director fairly... Nice, given the mixed reaction to D3? Certainly not harsh enough to warrant the director of the new game to just give a blunt 'fuck you'.

Beepos

Seriously did he not think his comment would not spread like wildfire 10 seconds after he posted it. Jay is entitled to his opinion but this isn't going look professional no matter you slice it ... like it's a direct insult with no other context.

How can people be so stupid.

Metallix87

Not really clued into what was wrong with Diablo 3 besides the whole 'always connect to the internet for a predominantly one-player game' thing, but wasn't that interview with the old director fairly... Nice, given the mixed reaction to D3? Certainly not harsh enough to warrant the director of the new game to just give a blunt 'fuck you'.

Exactly. It's absurd that they would react this way.

Glass Rebel

David Brevik: "Honestly, I think that they did a lot of the things the best they could, it was a very different game than I would have created, the team and personalities, the people, the talent and all the design philosophies of the people that worked on it in Irvine, we called them Blizzard South, those people have their own style and the their own way they like to design. It was very, very different from the Blizzard North."

Jay Wilson: "Fuck that loser"

sazzy

The timing is perfect for the Magic Find blog post by Jay which is supposed to go up Monday.

I can only imagine the comments which it will attract.

Damn exams:(

GorillaJu

If you're curious, just look at pretty much any thread about Diablo 3 and you'll be overwhelmed with negativity. Most of it is (IMO) justified and people seem very lucid and clued in to what makes it such a mediocre game.

Coins

Banned
As a person who bought Hellgate and D3, I'll share this.

I played both games roughly the same amount of time, which was about three weeks. Then I had my fill.

After those three weeks? I went back to D2 to ease the letdown.

Belgorim

Why would you assume that comment was based solely on this interview?

I do not agree that the interview was as nice as you say it is, but that is beside the point.

Exactly. It's absurd that they would react this way.

Lead on the old games of a long running franchise when asked about a new entry: "I personally would have done things differently, but this new team is still very talented and made a great, unique product."

Lead on the new entry to the old guy: "Jump in a well and die."

That's seriously how I'm reading this. PR 101 and all that.

If you're curious, just look at pretty much any thread about Diablo 3 and you'll be overwhelmed with negativity. Most of it is (IMO) justified and people seem very lucid and clued in to what makes it such a mediocre game.

Oh I know people have been up in arms over the game, I just meant I read the interview in question as being fairly light-handed and apologetic at worst towards Diablo 3.

Why would you assume that comment was based solely on this interview?

I do not agree that the interview was as nice as you say it is, but that is beside the point.
... Because Jay Wilson's 'Fuck that loser' comment was left on a URL link to that interview? I haven't played Diablo 3 yet as I said earlier, so I don't have much else to go off.

The original Brevik quote and this reaction really sum up the difference between the original Diablos and 3.

One is nuanced and carefully constructed. The other was shat out.

sazzy

The original Brevik quote and this reaction really sum up the difference between the original Diablos and 3.

Yep, it made complete sense. Brevik emphasized how important the people who make the games are, and once the core people left/got shut down, the rest had no idea what to do.

People > The amount of money you can throw at a project, ala D3.

Metallix87

Yep. Absolutely. I can't wait until the sun rises and they realized just what a mistake they made.

Atilac

Who the fuck is silvernail? Diablo 3 sold on the hype and goodwill of the previous games. If diablo 3 was developed without 1 and 2 being out, it would not have sold as much. Why is Jay's comments so "liked" why did Jill make a brown nosing comment about liking it?

Smh at that entire post, how dare they shit on a man who helped build the foundation for their own successes.

10 years ago, he'd just have read the story and told his wife "fuck that loser". But now, you have to do everything online because it's obviously a way better experience.

nubbe

Yep, it made complete sense. Brevik emphasized how important the people who make the games are, and once the core people left/got shut down, the rest had no idea what to do.

People > The amount of money you can throw at a project, ala D3.

Yup, corporations are people my friend

and some people are more important than other people

The whole ordeal makes me facepalm and lose respect for Jay Wilson and his team. I'm sure he didn't mean for this conversation to be let out but it was on freagin Facebook for crying out loud. Being a lead designer for franchise of a multi billion dollar game company you have to maintain a professional image, this includes social network sites such as Facebook. I honestly cannot believe that Jay and his team were oblivious to the reprecussions here.

Just saw this. My reaction.

iOkjmqOnbQB6t.gif

Good work D3 team. You already have millions pissed off at you over your mess of a game and you tell the man, that made Diablo the legacy it is today, to fuck off. Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom