• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spy Party's new character models/art style unveiled

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's a giant article attached to it here: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/27/3270183/spyparty-visual-makeover-chris-hecker

Original:

555_spy_party_beta_gr85ud7.jpg

New:

spyparty-allchars_gal1wuy7.jpg

spyparty-convo-all-bl9vu1v.jpg

spyparty-convo-all-grb3u7e.jpg

Shepard

Title of the thread should be: "Spy Party now has character models/art style".
Looking good, shame we can't see how it translates in-game.

bengraven

COMING MAY 2013

MICHAEL FASSBENDER.

EVA MENDES.

MORGAN FREEMAN.

in

CLUE: The Movie

spyparty-allchars_gal1wuy7.jpg

"Professor Plum is in theaters only with a pair of 3D glasses"

gromcal

I still kinda of like the current style of graphics, emphasizes game play over looks. But hopefully it will integrate well.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I was getting used to the other art style (even when knowing it was very much pre-alpha), but this is indeed better!

I love the nuiance. Loving the art style, indie games showing the industry what originality is once again.

This doesn't look like a bad imitation of a $5.99 adventure game CD-ROM at all.

Haunted

Most excellent, I was just debating making a thread on this.

To be honest, the things Hecker still has planned, has in its head concerning the game sound daunting. Like possibly years of development still ahead.

Zia

I always liked this art for it:

5569280768_22d4e32193_o.jpg

I do, too. I like most of the stuff Rachel Morris does for NYU's Game Center, though I'd have a tough time finding wall space for any of it.

The character concepts look very nice. A little more high-gloss than I expected, but Chris is so aware of what he wants out of this that I imagine anything visually distracting will be toned down a bit. Also, nitpicky but, stacks of Harper's Bazaar littering the office be damned, you can tell a man designed the female characters. There are little visual elements that don't really make sense (to a woman), such as the jacket on the older lady versus a shawl, or the hem on the other chick's skirt.

But yeah, anyway, looks brilliant. Spy Party can't come out soon enough.

gabbo

That's classier than I was expecting, as I was just expecting higher resolution versions of the models/art that he had been using up to this point, but I'm glad it finally happened. The old art always sort of kept me at arms length.

chrishecker

Neo Member
Also, nitpicky but, stacks of Harper's Bazaar littering the office be damned, you can tell a man designed the female characters. There are little visual elements that don't really make sense (to a woman), such as the jacket on the older lady versus a shawl

The funny thing about your comment is that's actually an outfit Helen Mirren wore at the BAFTA awards in 2007. It was designed by Jacques Azagury. Obviously, we had to simplify, but you can see it here, jacket, bow, and all:

http://www.bafta.org/film/awards/2007-film-awards-red-carpet-fashion-photos,538,GAL.html

There are a lot of pictures of it, it's even the pic on her wikipedia page: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Mirren

I should say, though, if I get people arguing about the fashion in SpyParty, I consider that a huge win!

But yeah, anyway, looks brilliant. Spy Party can't come out soon enough.
Thanks, for you and for me! :)

Chris

PS. I love Rachel's posters too, it was such an awesome surprise when I first saw the SpyParty one! I have it in my office!

Lotto

Looks fantastic! Although the previous version's art style (or lack thereof) wasn't that offensive to begin with for some reason.

Wok

Most excellent, I was just debating making a thread on this.

To be honest, the things Hecker still has planned, has in its head concerning the game sound daunting. Like possibly years of development still ahead.

I had not seen this thread when I replied to you.

Thanks for making the thread. The game is called "SpyParty" not "Spy Party" though.

The above is a repost from some other threads.

I got in the beta. I should play it some more, only played a couple rounds.

I really like the game and the community. Being part of the beta is difficult for now, you should try the game again. In a few months at most, it will be easier to get into the beta and the community may change for the better or the worse.

How long has this game been in development? This guy should work at Square.

Well, the game is already playable. And the term beta does not mean it is not enjoyable, to the contrary indeed.

Oh, chris hecker is on gaf? Cool! I can't wait for your game, really, it's been a long time ;)

If you had not said it, I would not have noticed. I was surprised someone could identify the inspiration for the clothes of the old lady, but I had read the comment so fast I missed the "I" and the "we".

ektoll

Oh, chris hecker is on gaf? Cool! I can't wait for your game, really, it's been a long time ;)

On a related topic, yesterday I discovered "Hidden in plain Sight" (thanks to the gaf thread for indie games) on xbox live (80 pts) and it's a really funny game with some mechanics close to spy party. For example, one is an assassin/thief and has to achieve different goals between npc while another player is a sniper. We had some really good laughs and I can't wait for Spy Party to propose a more fleshed out version of this kind of game!

chrishecker

Neo Member
Thanks!

On a related topic, yesterday I discovered "Hidden in plain Sight" (thanks to the gaf thread for indie games) on xbox live (80 pts) and it's a really funny game with some mechanics close to spy party. For example, one is an assassin/thief and has to achieve different goals between npc while another player is a sniper. We had some really good laughs and I can't wait for Spy Party to propose a more fleshed out version of this kind of game!
Yeah, I have a list of these kinds of similar games here:

http://www.spyparty.com/faq/#How+is+SpyParty+different+from+______?

Chris

Haunted

Chris Hecker in the flesh! Nice to have you posting here. It all sounds so daunting and ambitious in your blog post, lots of work ahead for such a small team. Just saw the "a couple years" comment in the Verge article and it actually made me gasp.

How many different character models do you anticipate you'll end up with in-game when all is said and done?

I had not seen this thread when I replied to you.
haha, and I didn't see this reply when I PM'd you just now, sorry! :p

Top Bottom