• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD worse than imagined

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I felt this video deserved a thread. 3 guys break down the atrocity that is Silent Hill HD Collection for two hours.

I think we all knew of the fog problems, but this video details stuff that is just unbelievably bad. Mixed up sound effects, teeth in eyes, video cropping issues, glitches, missing visual effects. It's really quite amazing, or amusing.

I'd skip to the 3 minute mark to avoid the little skit at the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya4XhTPMcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYkNUyBhS4

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I saw this earlier. I'm surprised there's another part to this. The first was so thorough.

I was really close to buying the SH HD collection when it came out, so I dodged a bullet there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
wow, what's with the massive dislikes?

If you like this video, you can hit the like button, but we'd prefer if you hit the DISLIKE button instead.

POUND THAT THING! Let's see how red we can make it! Show the world how much you hate the HD Collection!

Paranerd

Neo Member
If you like this video, you can hit the like button, but we'd prefer if you hit the DISLIKE button instead.

POUND THAT THING! Let's see how red we can make it! Show the world how much you hate the HD Collection!

And what do I do if I don't like the video? Hypothetical situation, I mean.

I was just about to make this thread, ha. Yeah, these guys go into insane detail on why the HD collection was shit and I pretty much agree with all of it. I wouldn't necessarily compare changing things in the Silent Hill series to changing things in the Star Wars series, but I can see where they're coming from as a fan of both.

I don't like this Tomm Hulett guy.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm actually personal friends with Fungo. He was actually a groomsman in my wedding :p

He's VERY passionate about Silent Hill, so obviously that led to the creation of Twin Perfect along side Rosseter and Fuzh (the butler)

I watched this video at length (both parts) and I didn't realize it would be THIS bad. The DIRTY laundry list of everything that is screwed up about this collection, it makes it the worst port in existence and probably in history.

Way to go Fungo! Make Hulett and Konami feel that sting.

This video is just the latest in their Silent Hill Retrospective and documentary titled "The Real Silent Hill Experience"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEHuzeOr9M

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Konami obviously made the HD collection so unbearably bad in order to make the player feel the horror that the protagonist is going through.

Duh.

Izick

I fucking cracked up when he
dove for the games in the intro
. Will definitely give this a full watch tomorrow! Is this guy consistently pretty awesome with his stuff? I'm looking to find some new (good) amateur game reviewers as most of the older ones have lost their magic for me.

legacyzero

Banned
The whole second part talks about all the shit that went down with the re-recording of the VO for both games. They go over some pretty criminal shit. Some of it shocking.

LiK

i'm crackin' up at the audio interviews of what Hulett said and the Ito tweets, haha.

the side by side between the PC and HD versions are really cool.

Alfredo

Konami obviously made the HD collection so unbearably bad in order to make the player feel the horror that the protagonist is going through.

Duh.

This would probably be an accepted excuse back in the day. There are people that believe the terrible voice acting in the original Silent Hill games is there for the effect.

Whompa

I'm going through Silent Hill 2 right now on the HD collection. Had one small bug happen to me thus far...otherwise It's perfect...

LiK

It's not. Watch the video.

this. GAF already did an amazing job pointing out what was wrong and this video sums up really well what went wrong as well. and if the Art Director of the game said the HD port looks bad, then it's bad.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Watched a little of this when someone linked it in the recent ZoE HD thread. Pretty shameful. Two years just to get this shit collection up and running? And no one realized it was the wrong code until after? Man lol.

Very glad I held on to my PC copies.

They were just thinking of the long time fans. If you've played these games a dozen times, what surprise could they still have? On the other hand, you start this up and begin thinking to yourself "am I losing my mind or does this look like shit?" True psychological horror.

legacyzero

Banned
Watched a little of this when someone linked it in the recent ZoE HD thread. Pretty shameful. Two years just to get this shit collection up and running? And no one realized it was the wrong code until after? Man lol.

Very glad I held on to my PC copies.
Yep. Keepin mah PC copies :)

legacyzero

Banned
What in the world went wrong with this project?

It looks like a nightmare project. Would love an investigative look at why it went wrong
e5e14953606bc3b734d6845f01083f1c.jpg

"I love Silent Hill More than anybody. Not Hyperbole."

Shinta

Banned
I thought the video was amazing, as well as hilarious at times. I love a solid, detail-oriented critique.

But at the end of the day, you can really break it down to just one flaw that the development team never recovered from. They didn't reverse engineer the game from the final disc version, but decided to start from incomplete code; thus trying to complete the impossible task of rebuilding a game exactly like a totally different team did who is much more competent and skilled than you are.

The only other solid mistake was the voice acting, which is part 2.

Great video though.

Dariso

Neo Member
Wow, just watched the video....I mean there no words to describe the ports. And the treatment konami gave to two of the best games released last gen.
Seriously fuck Konami for this mess. They simply don't care about the Silent Hill brand anymore.
Kojima's interest in making a SH with fox engine would probably be the only way to bring this series back from the hellhole it is now.Hopefully with some old team silent members.
And paying yamaoka to be in charge of the music again.

I thought the video was amazing, as well as hilarious at times. I love a solid, detail-oriented critique.

But at the end of the day, you can really break it down to just one flaw that the development team never recovered from. They didn't reverse engineer the game from the final disc version, but decided to start from incomplete code; thus trying to complete the impossible task of rebuilding a game exactly like a totally different team did who is much more competent and skilled than you are.

The only other solid mistake was the voice acting, which is part 2.

Great video though.

hm. Makes sense.

vazel

Banned
I'm glad a critique this well done exists to show the gaming world how screwed up this collection is.

i did not think i would watch this, but its so thorough and clever don im half way through the first part.

EDIT: after finishing both parts, that was amazing, although now i dont like MMG anymore. Loved her as Major's voice but, she seemed like a total B in those clips.

But that's still not excusable. Having incomplete code is pretty much the same mess (fine, different issues, but don't believe for a second that reverse engineering it isn't just as bad) as having "final disk" that needs to be uncompiled and rebuilt for a different platform. The nail in the coffin should be when they have built the game, they could have and should have spotted where things went wrong. It's so blindingly obvious that you know what needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom