• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD worse than imagined

Shinta

Banned
But that's still not excusable. Having incomplete code is pretty much the same mess (fine, different issues, but don't believe for a second that reverse engineering it isn't just as bad) as having "final disk" that needs to be uncompiled and rebuilt for a different platform. The nail in the coffin should be when they have built the game, they could have and should have spotted where things went wrong. It's so blindingly obvious that you know what needs to be fixed.

I'm not at all excusing it. It's a trainwreck of legendary proportions. My only expertise with the "reverse engineering" method is the BluePoint quote they provided in the video. Ico/Sotc, MGS HD, and God of War all had really good HD Collections as far as I know.

I'll just add that this video made me a little more patient about waiting for Final Fantasy X HD Remix .... hehe ...

Dariso

Neo Member
I thought the video was amazing, as well as hilarious at times. I love a solid, detail-oriented critique.

But at the end of the day, you can really break it down to just one flaw that the development team never recovered from. They didn't reverse engineer the game from the final disc version, but decided to start from incomplete code; thus trying to complete the impossible task of rebuilding a game exactly like a totally different team did who is much more competent and skilled than you are.

The only other solid mistake was the voice acting, which is part 2.

Great video though.

Agreed, although just goes to show how much konami cares giving the incomplete code to the developer to work with.
Probably Hijinx didn't even know they weren't given the complete final code after they had already started the porting job. And how is it possible that konami didn't have the final code for the game??
The HDD were it was got burned? or some team silent member took it?, i mean wtf...Again Konami didn't give a fuck about this collection, the same way they feel about Silent Hill in general i guess.

I knew these ports were bad and to be avoided at all costs, but watching these videos. . . wow. . . WOW. . . Some of the things in this video it's hard to believe are even real.

Takao

Banned
Agreed, although just goes to show how much konami cares giving the incomplete code to the developer to work with.
Probably Hijinx didn't even know they weren't given the complete final code after they had already started the porting job. And how is it possible that konami didn't have the final code for the game??
The HDD were it was got burned? or some team silent member took it?, i mean wtf...Again Konami didn't give a fuck about this collection, the same way they feel about Silent Hill in general i guess.

Japanese developers are actually very notorious for being awful at archiving stuff.

vazel

Banned
I knew these ports were bad and to be avoided at all costs, but watching these videos. . . wow. . . WOW. . . Some of the things in this video it's hard to believe are even real.
I felt that way when I saw them complaining about the SH3 slow motion performance. How could something like that have made it into the release version? Is that consistent throughout the entire game or just a small segment?

RagnarokX

Mtme0.jpg

Huh? These aren't pre-release screenshots. I know cuz I made that image from youtube videos of people playing the games :p

I felt that way when I saw them complaining about the SH3 slow motion performance. How could something like that have made it into the release version? Is that consistent throughout the entire game or just a small segment?
That was honestly comical.

"GO!!"

Has Tomm Hulett even posted on gaf since the backlash?

He posted a little bit in the HD thread right after release to defend the script changes in SH3 when people called him out on it, but bailed quickly once people started discovering more and more just how bad the game was.

The graphical stuff is bad. The voiceover stuff? Opinion.

I'm sorry, the original games were not hallmarks of voice acting either.

Having worked on a few nightmare projects in my day, I can say that sometimes no matter how hard you and your team work to resolve something and do your best, it ends up falling apart and having to be shipped anyway.

It happens sometimes. I don't know anybody that intentionally sets out to make bad products.
Should it have been cancelled early on? Probably.

*shrugs* Hopefully they will do better next time.

RagnarokX

Do they mean Pre-Patch release?

Otherwise, I was thinking the same thing.

No, later they say "pre-release" verbally, too. And they refer to other screenshots I made as pre-release. Maybe they thought they were pre-release because some people got the game like a day early?

This video has been awesome. Thanks for sharing. It's really, really fascinating. I'm about to start part 2.

Butler guy is cute

Nekofrog

Banned

Having worked on a few nightmare projects in my day, I can say that sometimes no matter how hard you and your team work to resolve something and do your best, it ends up falling apart and having to be shipped anyway.

It happens sometimes. I don't know anybody that intentionally sets out to make bad products.

There isn't going to be a next time for a SH collection.

The HD collection prematurely ejaculated and now nobody wants to sleep with it.

Reiko

Banned

The re-done voices just sound unnatural.

vazel

Banned
Never say never for a future collection. The first three Silent Hills are held in high esteem and the franchise is still making money. I can see Konami giving a Silent Hill collection another chance in another 1-2 console generations. Maybe next time it'll be downloadable only and 1080p.

He posted a little bit in the HD thread right after release to defend the script changes in SH3 when people called him out on it, but bailed quickly once people started discovering more and more just how bad the game was.
I wish he was still on here so I could ask for my money back for the Xbox 360 version. I have learned an important lesson though. Never buy a HD port from Konami ever again, they are a joke. Also wait for reviews for other companies' HD remakes.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just not an intense enough Silent Hill fan, but look, I count SH 1-3 among my favorite horror experiences of all time, and I realize that there's lots of stuff wrong with the HD Collection. (I don't own it, BTW.) But a great many of the things these guys break down and complain about seems really... superfluous to me. Stuff like certain sounds playing at the wrong speed; yeah, okay, maybe they are, but those sounds are no less creepy to me at their new speeds.

I dunno, I just think these guys or trying a little too hard here. I'm not denying that the HD Collection has problems or isn't worth buying, I just think this is a little much.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just not an intense enough Silent Hill fan, but look, I count SH 1-3 among my favorite horror experiences of all time, and I realize that there's lots of stuff wrong with the HD Collection. (I don't own it, BTW.) But a great many of the things these guys break down and complain about seems really... superfluous to me. Stuff like certain sounds playing at the wrong speed; yeah, okay, maybe they are, but those sounds are no less creepy to me at their new speeds.

I dunno, I just think these guys or trying a little too hard here. I'm not denying that the HD Collection has problems or isn't worth buying, I just think this is a little much.

agree

Reiko

Banned

No this is normal. This is supposed to be a HD Remastering of a classic.

Check out a Blu-ray at AVS Forum. Just like this.

As an artist I would be severely pissed if a bunch of noobs crapped all over my hard work.

Mr_Zombie

Wow. I knew that the ports are bad, but I didn't know they are this bad.
I haven't watched through the whole thing yet, only skipped to some parts. The slow-mo scene with Heather running around sewers or town - how the hell did that even get through the testing phase? And the DOF during the scene with Heather and Douglas in the amusement park is hilarious, it's all over the place. One moment everything (both Heather and Douglas) is blurred, next time the person who do not speak at the time is unblurred... What a mess. I feel sorry for anyone who experienced those amazing games for the first time through HD Collection.

Wow. Not sure what else to say.

The guys who did the port should never work in the industry again. Or, like, they should be banished to budget software.

This.
Hell maybe even throw Origins in there and Shattered Memories.
Just have one big ol collection of games.

No. Don't put those games on the same disc as 2-4. It just feels wrong.

Watched the video and then just had to check out what the professional criticism scene thought of it.

ulvFN.jpg

Are you telling me IGN doesn't always play the games they review? SHOCKING.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I only knew about some of the stuff they covered in part 1, and now i'm feeling that seething frustration building up inside me again. It's no exaggeration that Silent Hill 2 and 3 probably rank on my top games of ever, and that seeing them treated with such massive disrespect and laziness makes me not want to travel further and see what else they have to show me.

I'm going to hug my original copies of the Silent Hills and dig in for the second video.

Fuck this collection.

kunonabi

The problem with the new voices is not subjective. They missed the point of who those characters and how took them in a direction that clashes with how the story and the messages that the the games were trying to portray. Heather's phone call at the beginning of SH3 takes on an entirely different tone that clashes with her character and the father/daughter relationship that is the crux of the game. All of that is thrown down the shitter because Hulett wanted to appeal to the Halo crowd. His words not mine.

Takao

Banned
Watched the video and then just had to check out what the professional criticism scene thought of it.

ulvFN.jpg

Presentation a 10? Bwahahahahaha ... I can understand not knowing about the changes to the audio, and visual effects but how in the world do you not notice the slowdown as well as the other terrible technical qualities of the game?

Presentation a 10? Bwahahahahaha ... I can understand not knowing about the changes to the audio, and visual effects but how in the world do you not notice the slowdown as well as the other terrible technical qualities of the game?

That fog was the shit! The original had nothing on it! Also the ropes ropes, etc...that vanish in midair and are just magically floating added to the atmosphere.

Trust in IGN.

Note: I actually bought the game off of IGN's review :-(

I'd say that review makes it pretty obvious that the reviewer did not spend a significant amount of time with the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'd say that review makes it pretty obvious that the reviewer did not spend a significant amount of time with the game.

From the review it sounds like he popped in the game, saw that it booted to the title screen, and posted the review that he had written weeks in advance.

RagnarokX

These guys present the stuff in an obnoxious way, but so far I'm 30 minutes into the first video (taking a break for Daily Show) and the only really nitpicky thing they've discussed was the road sign on the tunnel and even they admitted that maybe the numbers needed to be updated. A lot of these issues are glaring and obvious and it's astonishing that the game was released in this state. It just shows that Konami has no reverence for the franchise. This video has revealed some things I didn't know about since I never looked at the HD ports beyond the first few weeks where we tore it apart, like the letterboxing problems and DoF issues.

Alfredo

Wait, this video is saying that cropping the original image is acceptable to make it widescreen. No. That is not acceptable. >=[

Oh, good. I wasn't sure if they were actually going to do a video over these games since they were so adamant about telling everyone not to purchase them and "VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET." I suppose their asking fans to purchase it for them worked out after all. I'll be curious to see if they bought them the Vitas they were asking for as well.

Yup. Those were the problems I heard people talking about. I'm honestly surprised one would be able to notice a lot of the smaller background things in audio and so forth. I wonder if much of that was done by direct comparisons for every location, scene, and such or if that was purely from memory?

Dang, I forgot how annoying their presentation method is.

lol at them calling people who were initially looking forward to the HD collection for a chance to play some games they had never played before as "wrong."
Trophies are no reason to play a game again. Time to put MGS4 back on the shelf for good.

edit:
The re-done voices just sound unnatural.
But I thought most people tended to praise things such as the SH2 performances for sounding unnatural in the first place?

The voiceover stuff? Opinion.

I don't think the voice acting was INTENDED to have the quality of a grade A actor behind it. Guy Cihi himself said that Team Silent was looking for the person that FITS the character in order for the players to relate to him. Great voice acting would have easily ruined the entire atmosphere simply because the main focus of the game is the town itself. The characters are merely progressive set-pieces that stimulate the events that stimulates how that particular Silent Hill theme is revealed. And for that to happen, they try to find characters that act like what they would do if they were in that particular situation and not because they're trying to personify a character to the extent of winning an Academy Award.

Top Bottom