• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD worse than imagined

Lime

In the case of this particular product, aren't there strict laws against anti-consumer practices such as this? This is clearly a broken product that shouldn't have shipped or been advertised without specific information about the faulty nature of it.

If had spent my money on this, I would definitely demand a refund or report Konami to the national consumer organization.

Jawmuncher

There's no excuse for some of the shit they did in these ports. Some of the mistakes could have easily been prevented by just having the PS2 version running alongside their dev build and comparing them. That's the least you could expect from a HD version developer, actually looking at the source material.

Well that is true, I still cut them some slack though.

Maybe the most depressing gaming-relate thing I've read in recent memory.

I know right?
I've been meaning to play SH forever and was really hoping the HD games would be great like the MGS collection. Sadly it wasn't meant to be played this gen on 360 or PS3.
So my original idea of going back to PS2 or PC is what im resorting to now.

I know right?
I've been meaning to play SH forever and was really hoping the HD games would be great like the MGS collection. Sadly it wasn't meant to be played this gen on 360 or PS3.
So my original idea of going back to PS2 or PC is what im resorting to now.

Good man.

I'd suggest playing the first game too, if you can go back to a PS1 game. Play them in order, definitely.

Foffy

Banned
What an informative two hours I spent watching this. They bring up a lot of solid points. I feel shame knowing this collection got good reviews because of the legacy of these titles.

Krabboss

I didn't find anything wrong with the presentation. I didn't think they were pretentious, just that they were funny and spoke intelligently about the issue. The whole review was very similar in style to Red Letter Media's Plinkett reviews, which are also great.

KiteGr

This is just sad.

I've heard that the SH collection was bad, but this is going on another level.
I feel sorry and angry for the development team at the same time!

UrbanRats

The second video is more subjective and less impressive, but the new voice acting sounds incredibly bad. :\

Also there are some foundamentally flawed logics on Hulett part, when it comes to remastering, imo..

Xater

I am only halfway through the first part and this is even worse from what I heard. OMG those changed textures!

Mzo

The sound effect and music fuck ups are inexcusable. Somebody needs to lose their job over that.

I always knew that the SH HD Collection was a trainwreck.
I just didn't know HOW MUCH of a trainwreck it was!
Holy crap, these two videos. It's downright brutal what Hijinx did to those two games.

I bet non of the playtesters listed in the credits ever played this collection at all.

I personally am happy with my SH 2 Director's Cut on PS2 and my copy of SH3 for PC, the latter of which I regularly enjoy (as far as possible at least. I can't play these kind of horror games anymore :( )

This shows once again how absolutely unnecessary the HD collection is.
SH2 and 3 were ported to the PC YEARS ago (long before the current generation of consoles) and they still look so beautiful.
How they didn't think about just porting the PC versions back to the HD consoles is beyond me.

The sound effect and music fuck ups are inexcusable. Somebody needs to lose their job over that.

This is seriously the biggest problem with the collection BY FAR!
The new voice acting really is a distant second, even if it's so terrible (what the hell did they do to Laura and Heather?!)

I've never played a SH game but that video, my golly. I seriously thought a HD collection is supposed to improve things, I guess Konami proved me wrong.

Go and buy the PC versions of SH2 and 3. They should be cheap by now and they'd even work on 10 year old PCs, so yeah.
It's the HD collection before the HD collection. You can even crank the resolution up to whatever is supported by your monitor. So HD4k is already possible.

Lime

Yeah, I think it has been pretty much confirmed that Tomm Hullet, no matter the degree of involvement in this travesty, has no idea what he is doing or saying. Like so many other PR developers, his statements contradict his actions, while apparently also trolling the Silent Hill fans by equating Book of Memories to Dissidia, Theatrhythm, and Persona 4: Arena. This is an incredibly childish move by someone who should be forthcoming to the community/consumers and above petty troll attempts.

Whoever thinks the hate towards a single figure like Tomm Hullet is unwarranted, they should at least acknowledge the fact that he as the producer of this HD collection has approved and directed so many terrible mistakes and deliberately altered the original material to such a degree that it is the equivalent of the recent tampering with Ecco Homoby Elias Garcia Martinez. The stuff he has greenlighted and assisted the selling of this faulty game is indefensible in every way.

Also, he apparently thinks Prometheus is a good film and a nice addition to the Alien-universe. That should be sufficient indication of his standards of storytelling.

Yeah, I think it has been pretty much confirmed that Tomm Hullet, no matter the degree of involvement in this travesty, has no idea what he is doing or saying. Like so many other PR developers, his statements contradict his actions, while apparently also trolling the Silent Hill fans by equating Book of Memories to Dissidia, Theatrhythm, and Persona 4: Arena. This is an incredibly childish move by someone who should be forthcoming to the community/consumers. Whoever thinks the hate towards a single figure like Tomm Hullet is unwarranted, they should at least acknowledge the fact that he *as a producer of this HD collection* have approved and directed so many terrible mistakes and deliberately altered the original material to such a degree that it is the equivalent of the recent tampering with Ecco Homoby Elias Garcia Martinez. The stuff he has greenlighted and assisted the selling of this faulty game is indefensible in every way.

Also, he apparently thinks Prometheus is a good film and a nice addition to the Alien-universe. That should be sufficient indication of his standards of storytelling.

It's also a man who thinks this fits SH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGEf8NoD2wE

Wish I was kidding, but he said that on hellsdescent shortly after saying that all of us not wanting korn in SH were just narrow minded, so yeah sorry for not having much trust in him. There seems to be some strange Huellet defense on here though ever since he showed up in the last thread and promised patches and what not.

holy crap, I'm on 38minutes into part 1 and they show sound effect replacement of Troy Baker breathing sound. which sounds really bad, all the more funny because I just watched Last of Us demo where Troy Baker is incredible and his breathing sound is so convincing in that Last of Us.

Xater

Finished part 1...OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THESE GAMES???

I'd rather have the PC versions up on Steam or GOG than this piece of shit collection.

Lime

jesusfrescoubul5.jpg

bored at work

UrbanRats

Yeah, I think it has been pretty much confirmed that Tomm Hullet, no matter the degree of involvement in this travesty, has no idea what he is doing or saying. Like so many other PR developers, his statements contradict his actions, while apparently also trolling the Silent Hill fans by equating Book of Memories to Dissidia, Theatrhythm, and Persona 4: Arena. This is an incredibly childish move by someone who should be forthcoming to the community/consumers and above petty troll attempts.

Whoever thinks the hate towards a single figure like Tomm Hullet is unwarranted, they should at least acknowledge the fact that he as the producer of this HD collection has approved and directed so many terrible mistakes and deliberately altered the original material to such a degree that it is the equivalent of the recent tampering with Ecco Homoby Elias Garcia Martinez. The stuff he has greenlighted and assisted the selling of this faulty game is indefensible in every way.

Some of the stuff he said in the second video was pretty embarassing, i have to say.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's interesting is that they compare the HD Collection to the PC version which was ALREADY inferior to the PS2 game.

The fog in the PS2 release was much heavier than the PC version which itself is heavier than the HD Collection. They also harp on the cutscenes which were high quality 60 fps encodes on PS2 but were massively lowered in quality on XBOX and PC making them even WORSE in the HD Collection.

It's somewhat fascinating to me that they are using an already inferior version of the game as their base of comparison but it DOES serve to illustrate just how awful the HD Collection really is.

Nekofrog

Banned
What's interesting is that they compare the HD Collection to the PC version which was ALREADY inferior to the PS2 game.

The fog in the PS2 release was much heavier than the PC version which itself is heavier than the HD Collection. They also harp on the cutscenes which were high quality 60 fps encodes on PS2 but were massively lowered in quality on XBOX and PC making them even WORSE in the HD Collection.

It's somewhat fascinating to me that they are using an already inferior version of the game as their base of comparison but it DOES serve to illustrate just how awful the HD Collection really is.

It was probably easier to capture footage of the PC version, and they were likely using it to show how much more HD the PC version was than the "HD" collection.

StuBurns

Banned

I watch their channel all the time, they're huge Silent Hill fans, I think they're just doing it because they're already HD. Basically if you want to buy this collection because it's HD, they're showing the alternative HD versions.

I'm surprised the ports are this bad, I knew it was bad, but I had no idea how much.

Xater

It was probably easier to capture footage of the PC version, and they were likely using it to show how much more HD the PC version was than the "HD" collection.

Yep, that's the point i got from them. Right at the start they talk about how much higher a resolution that version can run in.

Kacho

They brought up some good points, but their delivery was a little annoying. The voice they used while reading the tweets and developer comments was good for a chuckle, though.

dark10x

I watch their channel all the time, they're huge Silent Hill fans, I think they're just doing it because they're already HD. Basically if you want to buy this collection because it's HD, they're showing the alternative HD versions.

I'm surprised the ports are this bad, I knew it was bad, but I had no idea how much.
I don't think the "alternative" HD solution is all that good, though. You're better off with the originals.

Silent Hill 3 is solid on the PC, though, but SH2 is a mess even with tweaks.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think the "alternative" HD solution is all that good, though. You're better off with the originals.

Silent Hill 3 is solid on the PC, though, but SH2 is a mess even with tweaks.
I agree with that, they should just put them up on PSN as PS2 Classics.

Nekofrog

Banned
if anything, these videos showed what an awful person mary elizabeth mcglynn is.

i was truly shocked at her behavior and sometimes disdain for the original titles.

dark10x

It really isn't. A bit worse shadows and the fog not quite as thick (not close to as bad as HD collection), otherwise works perfectly fine even in 1080p with very little tweaks.
In addition, the videos are much worse quality and the timing of sound with some scenes is slightly off. I recently gave it another shot and it just isn't right. Those issues don't seem like a huge deal BUT you see them throughout the entire game. When you're outdoors the missing fog is ALWAYS obvious while running around indoors reveals hard shadows at all times. Videos look like dogshit as well and the issues are annoying. I could see how someone could overlook those problems, but I'd much rather play at a lower resolution and experience the game how it was meant to be played. The PC version only seems OK in the face of the horrendous HD Collection.

In addition, the videos are much worse quality and the timing of sound with some scenes is slightly off. I recently gave it another shot and it just isn't right. Those issues don't seem like a huge deal BUT you see them throughout the entire game. When you're outdoors the missing fog is ALWAYS obvious while running around indoors reveals hard shadows at all times. Videos look like dogshit as well and the issues are annoying. I could see how someone could overlook those problems, but I'd much rather play at a lower resolution and experience the game how it was meant to be played. The PC version only seems OK in the face of the horrendous HD Collection.

Yeah videos might be lower quality, can't remember timing being off compared to the PS2 versions at all though from playing it trough again earlier this year, might fire up the PS2 version to compare. Not saying you shouldn't play the PS2 versions over the PC version if you have the chance, especially on a SD tv, but the PC version of SH2 is hardly a mess and were an alright solution even before the HD collection came and made anything from meatspin to prolapses look good in comparison.

Ein Bear

Really, really interesting video, I honestly had no idea just how bad the HD Collection was... I was actually planning on buying it at some point, but now I'm not going anywhere near it. I'm amazed they actually got away with releasing it in such a state.

The guys in the video are a but annoying and pretentious though. The bit about trophies especially had me rolling my eyes. ("If you care about trophies you don't deserve these games!")

Top Bottom