• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation |OT| Your next post will be... OH MY GOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
idgPpCVU08LN0.jpg

You guys remember when anime was synonymous with MANLINESS? Well guess what's back! The motherfucking JoJos! The only thing more important to these guys than being manly is being fabulous. You want action? You got it! You want vampires? Screw that Twilight shit, you got that too! You want flamboyant poses from legit threatening characters? That's another check! Come and join the Joestars as they finally get a chance to shine in a 20 years overdue animation.

synopsis! said:
The story of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure centers around the misadventures of the Joestars, a powerful family with English roots. The series spans several generations, with each part featuring a descendent of the Joestars as the main protagonist along with a large cast of characters.

The first series, Phantom Blood stars Jonathan Joestar and the ambitious Dio Brando. It shows how the stone mask was found and how Dio first obtained and utilized his powers. Once Jonathan and Robert E. O. Speedwagon realize Dio's intentions, they must team up with Will A. Zeppeli and learn Ripple (Hamon) to stop Dio.

The second part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure takes place in the 1930s, and follows the misadventures of Joseph Joestar, the grandson of Jonathan Joestar, as he fights vampires and ancient super beings. He will meet a Nazi, a Ripple master woman and an Italian man he has a lot in common with.

Staff Info!

Studio: David Production (Ben-to, Level E)

Director: Kenichi Suzuki (SD Gundam) and Naokatsu Tsuda (Inu x Boku SS)

Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi (Trigun: Badlands Rumble)

Music: Hayato Matsuo (Hellsing Ultimate, The World God Only Knows), Taku Iwasaki (Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater)

Character Design: Takako Shimizu (Fist of the North Star: Legend of Raoh)

Length!

The plan now is to adapt up to Battle Tendency (part 2) in 2 cours, which means 26 episodes. If it does well, they will likely continue into the later parts. Let's hope it does, because STANDS!

Blu-rays!

They have English subs, so buy them!

Streaming info!

Nothing yet, but I'll update the second we have word on anyone picking this up.

Characters!

PART 1

Jonathan Joestar (AKA JoJo)

Dio Brando

William Antonio Zeppeli

REO Speedwagon

PART 2

Joseph Joestar (also JoJo)

Caesar Antonio Zeppeli

Lisa Lisa

Rudolf Von Stroheim

As a dude with a doctorate in shounen, I can safely say this is a damn good adaptation of a damn good manga. But hey, don't take my word for it. Here's some Animegaf impressions!

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure 1

Yup, this is JoJo.

This first episode covered about 5 chapters of the manga, but with one exception, it worked really well. The opening sequence showing how different Jojo's and Dio's lives were was really nice, and the 2 big fight scenes in this episode were well - animated and did a good job of capturing the feel of JoJo.

My only complaint *actual spoilers*
is that they cut a lot of the danny sequence out. It cuts directly from the caretaker realizing there's something inside the incinerator to showing Danny's grave.

Classiest swimsuit scene ever?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures - Episode 1

I really enjoyed this. They went through the early material of Phantom Blood really quickly, but not in a bad way. There are some really nice transitions in the direction, and a good sense of pacing the runtime around the contrast of Dio and Jonathan instead of covering every single event or detail. It's clear that David Production is not some top-tier animation studio with superstar animators or a huge budget, but with what they had they really made it work. Scenes which matters had good animation, lots of creative visual usage to create tone and shift the focus of the presentation. The best part is how exaggerated the setting and the art is, intentionally make a very dated feeling anime production which fits the period setting of the story.

Yeah, I think this is really going to work out. :)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 1

This is fuckin anime! Where was this 20 years ago when it SHOULD have happened?

Fantastic adaptation of the material. So much style, so much fabulous, so much awesome. The visual effects work so damn well for this franchise. And we haven't even gotten to the "good" part yet!

Also, I see Araki's inability to draw children has translated over to the anime.

I also like how the one instance of censorship I would accept happened the way I wanted it to. Will probably be tougher later on though.

I am so friggin psyched for Battle Tendency now. Hell, I'm psyched for the rest of Phantom Blood. If I said that before this started, I would have laughed.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) ep 1
tumblr_mbg3m6e1uF1qfkktpo1_500.gif

Some of it feels pretty retro and the setting but I kind of like the visual and style the anime has going on. The way stuff pops out with random symbols when characters are introduced or something, or how water droplets will sort of sparkle, or how other stuff happens when characters receive powerful stunning blows and impacts or just how the backgrounds will change and then characters are bathed in different colors to fit the mood.

Anyway Dio is really amazing and blows JoJo out of the water. I hope he gets significant screentime. Probably my leading reason to just keep watching. I kind of feel bad though considering
he just treats JoJo so bad, out to steal his inheritance or whatever, ruining his image in front of everyone, being better at just about everything than JoJo, and then even stealing the kiss from the girl, hitting her, and then getting into a fight with him and burning trapping his dog in the trash pile. Poor JoJo. Though I didnt think it made sense for Dio to lose, he was still more powerful so theres no excuse for JoJo to have one, then again I guess if he just felt empowered because of all his losses and the girl, then acceptable.
. Will keep watching and glad I gave it a shot.

Jojo - 001 (hopefully I will need the second 0)

Everyone already took the good images so I'll just post my thoughts.

I thought it was a great first episode, they took the style of the Jojo manga and changed it but kept it faithful to the original at the same time. It must have been very hard to get a style that they thought would work right for part 1 and they did it. The various quirks of part 1 were represented well too such as the exaggerated arm length during punches, and the muscular builds of characters. The anime captured the feel of Jojo and if they take the right steps this could be the best anime in a long time.

JoJo 1

I've been meaning to read the JoJo manga and watch the 90's OVA for pretty much forever but I'd figure I'd check this out first before getting around to that stuff and this certainly didn't disappoint. The pacing seemed pretty fast but it kinda added to the incredibly exaggerated and fabulous feel of the show.
danny ;_;
Had very good animewatch, will watch more.

edit: oh and the Yes ED owns bigtime but the visuals are really disappointing. :(

And if all that wasn't enough to convince you, well then...

6lCWQ.gif

Mik2121

I'm just starting reading the manga (got all the books where I work) and it's kind of sad that they didn't get the art style closer to the original source, though I guess that one was so packed with lines that it would have taken them forever to do it.

Still looking forward to it :)

Soma

About to watch episode 1.

I'm almost done with the first part of the manga so I'll probably be reading along as this show continues. I've heard so much about this series so I'm pretty excited to continue it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dio is quite possibly the biggest asshat in all of manga/anime.

Also can't wait for BATTLE TENDENCY.

Dio is quite possibly the biggest asshat in all of manga/anime.

Also can't wait for BATTLE TENDENCY.

He's definitely up there.

Slaughter thousands of people: Eh, who cares. Not like a billion villains haven't already done that.

Burn a dog to death
: KILL HIM! KILL HIM, CASTRATE HIM, MAKE HIM SUFFER!

shaowebb

Count down to God's Beard in 3...2...

Maybe now I can finally find out what the hell is going on in this thing without having to take too much time out of my schedule to do it. :)

Cbajd5

Yeah, I'm surprised there's no official Simulcast. Maybe in a week or two because
vampires + Halloween will be a very good mix.

BUT STILL EXTRA EXCITE

ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE
PART 4 COMMERCIAL ABOUT JOJOLOIN AND THE JOJO EXHIBIT

But I still need to watch the first episode myself, I'll do it soon enough.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I always thought Dio's "Plan" here was so weird...

After the Seven Year Timeskip, everyone likes JoJo perfectly, lol. It's such a weird opening, yet vital to Dio's character they couldn't skip it.

oh and the Yes ED owns bigtime but the visuals are really disappointing. :(

Really? I agree the superimposed images of the characters didn't work, but the blood flowing through the Aztec Drawings was pretty awesome.

There was even a Part 2 reference at the end.

Watch Da Birdie

I've never really got into Jojo, I guess watching this will be my best bet? :)

Honestly, I'd say read the manga first instead of waiting years for the anime to catch up...also, if you didn't like Part 1, you might wanna check out another Part. I'd say Part 3 is always good, as it's very light-hearted and fun, probably out of all the parts, and thus easy to digest as opposed to some of the other parts which get a little intimidating due to weird plot points and such.

Soma

First episode was pretty good. Honestly I didn't start getting into the manga until after the timeskip but I like the visual style and the voice acting a lot so far. The fight scenes were also pretty damn intense too so I can't even imagine how even crazier later episodes will be. The next episode should be pretty damn awesome.

Honestly, I'd say read the manga first instead of waiting years for the anime to catch up...also, if you didn't like Part 1, you might wanna check out another Part. I'd say Part 3 is always good, as it's very light-hearted and fun, probably out of all the parts, and thus easy to digest as opposed to some of the other parts which get a little intimidating due to weird plot points and such.
Thanks for the tip. I might as well try the manga too.

Watch Da Birdie

So this is a remake? Because I remember seeing Jojo a long time ago....
Part 3 has some OVAs, Part 1 had a film that the original creator disliked and blocked from being released on DVD. Part 5 had a PS2 game that was basically an interactive anime with basic fighting gameplay.

sfedai0

Banned
Part 3 has some OVAs, Part 1 had a film that the original creator disliked and blocked from being released on DVD. Part 5 had a PS2 game that was basically an interactive anime with basic fighting gameplay.

That sounds like a clusterfuck.

Your probably thinking of the OVAs that loosely cover the third part.

Yea, I remember a battle in the desert, or something involving sand. Either way, it was pretty intense.

duckroll

Wait, they are really going to cover up through Battle Tendency? I thought it was just adapting Phantom Blood for now.

Phantom Blood should be over within 10-13 episodes. The series is 26 episodes in total (for now), confirmed by the listings for the 9 volumes of the Blu-ray/DVD for Japan. The Blu-rays will also have English subtitles. They're pretty pricey though. But if you buy all 9 volumes of the Blu-ray LEs, you can exchange for an exclusive Jonathan and Dio figure set by Medicos Entertainment. The first volume also comes with a soundtrack disc.

Mr. Fix

Phantom Blood should be over within 10-13 episodes. The series is 26 episodes in total (for now), confirmed by the listings for the 9 volumes of the Blu-ray/DVD for Japan. The Blu-rays will also have English subtitles. They're pretty pricey though. But if you buy all 9 volumes of the Blu-ray LEs, you can exchange for an exclusive Jonathan and Dio figure set by Medicos Entertainment. The first volume also comes with a soundtrack disc.

There's no break in-between parts is there?

This episode went by surprisingly quick. It does seem a bit nerfed though, as I didn't catch the first scene in the manga with the mask.

duckroll

There's no break in-between parts is there?

This episode went by surprisingly quick. It does seem a bit nerfed though, as I didn't catch the first scene in the manga with the mask.

The current series is 26 episodes. Whether we get more after this probably depends on whether it is well received.

Arzehn

Don't really know anything about the series, but I watched the first episode and liked it. Looking forward to episode 2.

I'll probably just watch the show but is the manga still going?

Tizoc

Didn't Ora ora ora start with Jotaro? Pretty sure Johnathan didn't yell that out.
Subtitle should've been a play on Dio's famous line from Part 1 'I REJECT MY HUMANITY, JOJO!' like 'I REJECT YOUR MOE!' or something.

Anyways have awesome JoJo fanart GAF-
vzPtd.jpg

KP4zA.jpg

I was skeptical about how this would turn out, but I have to admit it's pretty good, at least the first episode. The overall presentation feels like a blend of retro and modern, as it should. The voice acting and some solid direction choices gave this the visceral, blood-boiling feeling it needed.

I haven't even read the manga, but based on how everyone talks about it I'm really looking forward to Battle Tendency, especially with Sugita playing Joseph.

Don't really know anything about the series, but I watched the first episode and liked it. Looking forward to episode 2.

I'll probably just watch the show but is the manga still going?

The manga is still going on, but each part ends mostly pretty conclusively with a few exceptions. It's like a series of sequels spanning multiple generations. Then part 7 happened, which was essentially a reboot. Now they're on part 8, and no one knows how long that's gonna last.

Didn't Ora ora ora start with Jotaro? Pretty sure Johnathan didn't yell that out.
Subtitle should've been a play on Dio's famous line from Part 1 'I REJECT MY HUMANITY, JOJO!' like 'I REJECT YOUR MOE!' or something.

Eh, the franchise is iconic for the oras.

I was skeptical about how this would turn out, but I have to admit it's pretty good, at least the first episode. The overall presentation feels like a blend of retro and modern, as it should. The voice acting and some solid direction choices gave this the visceral, blood-boiling feeling it needed.

I haven't even read the manga, but based on how everyone talks about it I'm really looking forward to Battle Tendency, especially with Sugita playing Joseph.

Wait, Sugita is Joseph? Oh man, that's gonna be amazing.

Wiseblade

So hype! I really hope this fins an audience and runs through the entire series, JoJo deserves the love, if for Part 2 alone.

Watch Da Birdie

Wait, Sugita is Joseph? Oh man, that's gonna be amazing.

I look forward to the eventual Gintama gag about that.

I imagine Sugita will pull of the "high pitch" voice he uses for Gintama whenever Joseph bursts out the RUN AWAY technique.

duckroll

On the one hand yes, but I think that the subtitle should refelct which Part is adapted.
At any rate is the intro song up on YT or such? Wanna listen to it.

But it's not like we're going to have another thread when Phantom Blood ends. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom