• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singstar is now a XMB app. (in EU for now)

Hanmik

I promised you exciting news, so here it is! SingStar, the ultimate competitive singing game for PlayStation 3, will now be available to everyone in SCE Europe territories (as well as Australia and New Zealand) as a free download straight from the XMB.

Yes, that’s right, no more need to slot in a disc to get that party started. Simply install SingStar from the XMB and you will be able to start singing in no time, share your performances with the community and visit the SingStore to get hold of more great tracks for your collection.

I’ve listed all the great things about SingStar on the XMB for you below but I am most excited about the fact that you can now play SingStar with your PlayStation Eye camera. We have spent many an afternoon testing this in the office and are pretty pleased with it so please let us know what you think! This will only work for single player mode, so if you’re gearing up for a serious SingStar battle, you’ll obviously still need to plug in some mics.

If you’re brand new to SingStar and have never bought a song from the SingStore before, there are also some short demo songs available for you to download and try out.

SingStar on the XMB:
- The client is FREE, no disc required!
- Sing with PS Eye
- Compatible with SingStar microphones, official PlayStation Wireless headsets and common USB microphones
- Short demo songs available for download for new SingStore customers
- Easy access PS2 and PS3 disc swap from song carousel
- Use PSP or PS Vita to create playlists with SingStar Remote
- Instantly share your performances with the SingStar community and your friends on Facebook
- Acquire new trophies

SingStar will be added to the XMB very soon. Follow us on Twitter @SingStarHQ and keep your eyes peeled on www.singstar.com for more news and a confirmed release date.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/10/23/get-ready-for-singstar-on-the-xmb/

sounds like nice addition..

Blablurn

reminds me that i spent soooo much money on singstar downloads :/ it was the shit around 2008 and 2009. in the last years, i just stopped caring about that game. but playing singstar with my friends used to be huge. fun times.

woodypop

Now if they'd just get off their asses and get more/better tracks for download. Their updates have been terribly lackluster.

Haunted

Singstar is still a good party game in certain circles. It's the only "videogame" some people get out at parties.

That is, until they got a Karaoke machine. >_>

edit: PS2 version, I mean.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Would have Been cool around ps3 launch, but now that I have a proper rock band setup it would be a step down for parties.

woodypop

Would have Been cool around ps3 launch, but now that I have a proper rock band setup it would be a step down for parties.
We do both: Start out with several rounds of Singstar before moving on to Rock Band. (We actually do some Buzz!! before Singstar, too.)

zulux21

im just happy to hear it will support other usb mics. now I might actually get the handful of songs I want to sing that singstar has and rock band doesn't.

Shiloa

I think this is going to be a real success. I know I'll try it out since I have a PSEye to use and wouldn't ever have bothered had it not been free.

BadWolf

They will benefit big time from this move.

I'll see if my mom is interested, I have the Playstation wireless headset so should be good to go.

Cyberia

It's Sony's way of opening SingStar up to the masses. "It's really just the next step to broaden the audience and to get it out to everyone and get everyone singing again," senior producer Chris Bruce told Eurogamer.

"We want to go back and recreate the success that we had on PlayStation 2, for sure," Bruce said. "It was stronger on PlayStation 2 I guess it's fair to say."

So is this the end of SingStar in a box in a shop?

"Nope," stated Bruce. "We'll always be looking at opportunities that come along, and if we think we've got a great opportunity to bring something to market then we'll definitely be doing that." But there is "nothing I could possibly mention at the moment" in development now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ps-eye-as-a-mic-not-the-end-of-boxed-releases

Coen

Wishful thinking, but there's no way they'll let us rip our discs? That's one of my biggest gripes, changing discs if I want some ABBA or Queen songs. Although I have to say: they make it as easy as possible.

Fox1304

This is exactly what must be done.
And singstar is simply amazing. I've bought nearly a hundred songs ( ouch ), and pop the game from time to time.
Just hoped they would allow us to import the songs from the already bought BR ... Well, that was kinda expected that they wouldn't :(

Toki767

In the US particularly, the disc releases give much better song choices than what's available on the store. They need to hire whoever worked on securing songs Lips in the US for Microsoft.

Carl

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Also makes it much easier to dive into Singstar without having the hump of buying a disc.

Withnail

Pretty good idea though I'm expecting plenty of bitching about the additional XMB icon after the new firmware hits.

Singstar has been consistently forward thinking but is overlooked. They had full voice control before Kinect and second screen functionality years before SmartGlass and WiiU. The community aspects are also pretty excellent I think. Hopefully going f2p brings them further success.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
This is pretty great, the gf has a few old PS2 Singstar games but we never did get any PS3 versions so haven't been able to use them on our PS3s. Singstar is always good fun for rather drunk parties, lol.

Will this app have the same trophies as the old SingStar with some additional trophies, or will it have completely new trophies? I love SingStar, but I absolutely hate those old trophies. I do not understand why they had to put so many extremely hard trophies in a casual game. It's one of the hardest games out there, totally insane.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Gemüsepizza;43520920 said:
Will this app have the same trophies as the old SingStar with some additional trophies, or will it have completely new trophies? I love SingStar, but I absolutely hate those old trophies. I do not understand why they had to put so many extremely hard trophies in a casual game. It's one of the hardest games out there, totally insane.

It says acquire new trophies so I imagine they will be new.

Carl

Europe accounts will have this at the top of their games list after updating to the new firmware

New trophy list (including a platinum)

kassatsu

Banned
If you are in the US, make an EU account and download it.

If you play from your US account it accesses the US SingStore

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Anyone tried singing with the Eye yet? Still downloading but I wonder how it fares compared to the regular SS mic.

Also, is voice recognition-based track selection included?

The position of the icon is so idiotic. Why do I have this shit placed right above the games I actually want to play? Move it to the music or PSN categories FFS.

Psykotik

Anyone tried singing with the Eye yet? Still downloading but I wonder how it fares compared to the regular SS mic.

it works, but not as accurate as using a mic obviously. harder to maintain a steady pitch.

i sit about 6 feet away from my eye and it was able to pick up my singing reasonably well.

Withnail

Interestingly now I can play Singstar and work towards two trophy lists simultaneously. It's a double platinum game.

trophieslol

Jubern

Nice and all, but I don't like how the app sits between the disc game icon and the PSN games. It's like it's screaming "HEY I'M HERE, PLAY ME PLAY ME!".

I probably won't ever play it so I'd like an option to at least put it in a folder...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Pretty good idea though I'm expecting plenty of bitching about the additional XMB icon after the new firmware hits.
I'll be whining if they force it on US peeps! This update was supposed to slightly declutter the game section but instead its just adding more overall xmb clutter? Yuck! Another worthless icon to scroll past or worse waste time accidentally clicking on ~_~

kassatsu

Banned
Wonder how this works for those who have discs.

I have the PS3 one and 2 or 3 PS2 versions.
You put the disc in your PS3 and load the songs from like you did when you wanted to swap discs before.

It then adds them to the carousel until you remove the disc.

Top Bottom