• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery group releases Resident Evil 1.5 trailer

Nemesis_

I'm surprised this hasn't yet been posted or commented on (though perhaps that means it's probably a hoax)

Having been sifting through all of these RE6 videos for Mercenaries strategies on Youtube I noticed that this trailer was recently uploaded too, and it was under ten hours ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgvI8lZY0-U

From what I can see, it appears to be new(?) footage of Resident Evil 1.5, but in a state of completeness that is more than we've ever seen before. Any fans of this cancelled project will know that 1.5 media has never really existed in this quality (nor at this stage of progression). But I do know that menus and such have never existed in this quality.

It's also interesting to note that the team behind this shows that they may be translating into several languages. Also note the different design of Ada (which was her original) and the Gorilla enemy.

I'm not really sure of the details of 1.5 outside of what it was, what it was meant to be and why it was cancelled, but is this authentic? Or is this some kind of elaborate modification of Resident Evil 2?

The video mentions "holiday season" for new information and I find it not coincidental at all that this has come out around Halloween time.

Will Resident Evil 1.5 actually be coming out???? I'm excited but I am pretty skeptical at the moment, keeping my expectations as a psychotic RE fan in check ;_;

komaruR

i think ive seen that iso of that beta was posted on the net back a few years ago.

eitherway, its pretty old news.

Nemesis_

i think ive seen that iso of that beta was posted on the net back a few years ago.

eitherway, its pretty old news.

Resident Evil 2 Beta versions have existed for years. This is different to them - this is 1.5

The unfinished version that featured Elza Walker instead of Claire.

These videos have made their way around the internet for the better part of ten years now.

I ended up buying the japanese Director's Cut that had the disc with these videos.

Such a shame they didn't try and go further with some of the concepts.

Ban Puncher

REMEMBER TO BUY AND PLAY THE NEW RESIDENT EVIL 6!

1xouX.gif

Nemesis_

These videos have made their way around the internet for the better part of ten years now.

I ended up buying the japanese Director's Cut that had the disc with these videos.

Such a shame they didn't try and go further with some of the concepts.

...I don't think these are the same videos as those you mention :/

amar212

I remember the footage similar to this from more then decade ago.

I am also certain I have that video dowloaded somewhere.

Will try to find. But this is old.

Santar

Hmm, what could this be?
The video quality seems a lot higher compared to the other re 1.5 footage I've seen, almost ike if it was played in a emulator.

Anteater

The video edit made it kind of funny, Elza: "There's a lot of nothing in this room...", meanwhile, Leon is getting his ass kicked and eaten by giant gorillas.

Seeing this footage makes me miss the old Resident Evil formula. I wish someone could make a game with the same mechanics with a low budget that is just an hour or 2 long. The Gorilla monsters look stupid, but it is nice to see some more footage of this version.

Nemesis_

storafötter;43846275 said:
Seeing this footage makes me miss the old Resident Evil formula. I wish someone could make a game with the same mechanics with a low budget that is just an hour or 2 long. The Gorilla monsters look stupid, but it is nice to see some more footage of this version.

I guess the Gorillas made no sense given the setting, hence why they were removed.

That's my guess, anyway.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"Remember to buy and play the new Resident Evil 6"

I guess the Gorillas made no sense given the setting, hence why they were removed.

That's my guess, anyway.

Or a racoon city zoo employee happened to bring some Gorillas to the police station parking to bring havoc. Umbrella needed to collect data after all. :p

"Remember to buy and play the new Resident Evil 6"

Maybe it is because they are afraid of Capcoms wrath due to them releasing this footage. If you encourage everyone to buy a flawed Capcom game you wont be bothered!

News Bot

Banned
storafötter;43846358 said:
Maybe it is because they are afraid of Capcoms wrath due to them releasing this footage. If you encourage everyone to buy a flawed Capcom game you wont be bothered!

Or maybe they just don't have so much hyperbolic hate for it and would like to support CAPCOM's own efforts?

Simply saying "go buy RE6" wouldn't discourage CAPCOM from coming down on them like a mountain of dicks if they had a problem with 1.5.

Question: Was an english version of this ever shown? All the footage/info I've seen on RE 1.5 was in Japanese... Obviously at the time they used 'english' voice acting, but I was sure all the text was in Japanese, and for a project that was supposedly canceled at only about half done, it doesn't make much sense for a fully localized version to exist (more so since it appears to have most European languages in it as well).

If someone really did acquire this game, they seem to have done a lot more than simply show footage of it.

News Bot

Banned
Question: Was an english version of this ever shown? All the footage/info I've seen on RE 1.5 was in Japanese... Obviously at the time they used 'english' voice acting, but I was sure all the text was in Japanese, and for a project that was supposedly canceled at only about half done, it doesn't make much sense for a fully localized version to exist (more so since it appears to have most European languages in it as well).

If someone really did acquire this game, they seem to have done a lot more than simply show footage of it.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that they had begun localizing the in-game text. Generally, voice acting and actual text translation are handled separately. One reason they tend to be very inconsistent (a character says something which contradicts a file, etc).

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that they had begun localizing the in-game text. Generally, voice acting and actual text translation are handled separately. One reason they tend to be very inconsistent (a character says something which contradicts a file, etc).

I thought as much... So again, it seems very unlikely that this is simply the "lost beta" that's been hiding in a collector's vault somewhere... This is either a very good fake, or they somehow got a hold of the real thing and they are an experienced team "fleshing out" the beta and translating it.

klee123

This doesn't look like the real RE1.5, something about it looks off compared to the Playstation museum video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkj6pFxvSi0

The fact that it's in English would be the biggest giveaway IMO. Considering that it was in beta state, I doubt Capcom would have translated the game to English that soon.

I'd love to be wrong though.

News Bot

Banned
I thought as much... So again, it seems very unlikely that this is simply the "lost beta" that's been hiding in a collector's vault somewhere... This is either a very good fake, or they somehow got a hold of the real thing and they are an experienced team "fleshing out" the beta and translating it.

It's the latter. Pretty obvious.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There is no footage on the internet of 1.5 as clean or detailed as this. It's new.

I haven't seen this clean a look ever. I've read the magazine pieces on it years ago and recall a low quality video but nothing that looks like this or is even close to showing so much.

I'm intrigued as I've always wanted to play it. I recall reading Mikami saying it was basically complete from beginning to end but they scrapped it all.

This doesn't look like the real RE1.5, something about it looks off compared to the Playstation museum video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkj6pFxvSi0

The fact that it's in English would be the biggest giveaway IMO. Considering that it was in beta state, I doubt Capcom would have translated the game to English that soon.

I've love to be wrong though.

Well from that video, it's clear that their "team logo" is in HD compared to the Capcom opening video and the gameplay itself (the whole video is 1080p, but the game is rendered properly in 240p and upscaled with some sort of filtering) so they either inserted their logo in post editing, or the whole thing is just a recreation that is trying to be as authentic as possible.

I will say this, even if this isn't the "real deal" if it looks and plays fully like how it's shown, it may still be a very good game to try and still probably the closest thing we'll get to the real beta (the value of it is WAY too high for anyone to release it... it's an investor's item now)

Nemesis_

The way that this is presented (it's more of a glorified tech demo than a trailer) really shows that it is the latter.

I don't think any "complete" version of 1.5 exists.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
God i LOVEEEE the old Capcom intro FMV.

Isn't this only like a year before RE2 actually came out (that these assets were all created)? Why are the graphics so much worse?

Isn't this only like a year before RE2 actually came out (that these assets were all created)? Why are the graphics so much worse?

Because it's from an incomplete game, and finalizing graphics are usually the last thing you do (to make sure everything has "stayed in budget", that is hardware wise not cash wise)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It was feature complete earlier than that but Mikami decided to scrap it.

I've always wanted to try this as this was in the full swing of RE hype so this was definitely sought after by many fans.

It looks pretty decent but the characters look incomplete. Still, this would be a must have if ever released.

Top Bottom