• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sir, You're Being Hunted - procedurally generated survival STALKER shooter is on KS

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Back this, they aren't asking for much

It's a hardcore procedurally generated open world shooter that should be made.

Procedural tools to generate, save, and explore your own landscapes.

Open-ended gameplay: choose how you want to play. Complete the game non-lethally, or use whatever you can find to bring down the tweedbot menace.

A Thief-style visibility-meter combined with our own foliage-based stealth system.

Unique generative soundtrack.

A disembodied sinister butler!

Pubs!

No DRM!

Varied loot including weapons, traps, booze, marmalade, tea, something that may or may not be bacon, and a dead rabbit.

Fires to cook that rabbit on. (And other things besides!)

Mac, Windows and Linux versions.

Strange lore and pipe-smoking moustache-wearing mechanical locals.

Trailer

Dakota47

Finally! Just pledged for the early access digital edition. Can't wait for this game; the premise is just about everything I like in games.

Acosta

Wow, I didn't know they were going to do a KS for it.

It won't have problems, RPS readers (me included) will back this with the strength of 10.000 suns. Looking awesome and having a killer concept helps too.

commissar

Have been intrigued by the occasional write up. Might be the £30 tier for me.

Jim tweeted the other day that he had a panic moment trying to escape over a wall (he died). Sounds fun :D

Orayn

Just got around to watching the trailer and reading more details. This sounds absolutely fantastic, and I'm glad it's a relatively modest funding goal from devs who already have at least one release.

I'm in for 10 BRITISH POUNDS STERLING, possibly increasing that amount later.

Tain

i like the idea of a first person game about escaping an island and being hunted by reasonably complex AI

i'm pretty much revolted by the style of this particular thing, though, so i wouldn't be able to sleep at night if i actually gave these guys money

clockpunk

Upon further reflection. this sounds like exactly the sort of game I would like to see. Nevermind waiting to discuss with partner, already backed! :D

Dakota47

Over 20K, they should start thinking about stretch goals.

conversion rates, how do they work

There was a problem with payment from the US. That is fixed now.

Update #1 - The Hunt Begins, Kickstarter UK, Paypal
Nov. 02, 2012 · 5 comments
Hello! Welcome to the first day of the Sir, You Are Being Hunted Kickstarter. Thanks for being here, whether you are just browsing, or if you've decided to pledge.

Firstly, we want to apologise to anyone who has had problems pledging via the Kickstarter UK payment system. It's a little different to the system for the US, pledges are in £ and also some cards are being declined. If you really can't get the payments to work via Kickstarter UK, then you can still pledge via our Paypal page. Please note that this should be an absolute last resort, because it does not contribute to our Kickstarter total. Please pledge via Kickstarter if at all possible.

Secondly, thanks to everyone who has pledged, tweeted, commented, or otherwise contributed, in whatever capacity. This is enormously exciting for us, and it's gratifying to have earned so much goodwill from you all.

We've got lots more coming up in terms of updates, including new videos next week. So please stay tuned. This is just getting started!

-The Big Robot Team

Corto

Glad I searched before hitting submit on a thread I was creating. This needs more exposure. Robot action in tweed needs more games.

To the denim pleb, this is tweed. The attire of true gentlemen.

taransay-harris-tweed-jacket-l.jpg

Dakota47

Some interesting info from the Kickstarter's comment section:

Big Robot said:
"Is a Perma-death mode a possibility?"
It might be. We're still experimenting with how saving/continuing will work, actually.

Big Robot said:
"Is there a narrative structure in place (or planned) apart from the escape, or is it going to be a purely sandbox game with a "create your own story" approach?"
It's purely sandbox, but we are furnishing the world with lore. So there's a tale to be told, things to read and discover, and a narrator (your butler), but how you go about all that is completely freeform.

Big Robot said:
"In the video, why is it that some tweedbots seem to be fighting each other? Competing for the kill? Or perhaps there are going to be different factions of tweedbots?"
Yes, there will be different factions. Sometimes the patrols will meet, chat, and have a cup of tea, other times they will attack each other.

Big Robot said:
"maybe there is a way the player can identify different factions (or rival) and make/lure them meet each other and fight. "
Yes, that's exactly what we are planning. The robots are divided into hunting parties. Some will meet and co-operate, while others will fight. The player will be able to tell which party is which, can can use lures and distractions to get them to fight.

The hunting party mechanic sounds awesome.

Dakota47

Update #2

Hello, everyone!

It's been quite the ride so far, and everyone at Big Robot thrilled with our progress. Thanks for all your support. It's been amazing to see all the coverage, all the tweets, and all the discussion. We were even featured by the BBC! But this is only really the start, and we've got loads more work to do, first on Kickstarter, and then on the game.

Now please watch this (in HD if possible):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHXkKu-0nE
Neat, eh? More soon!

Questions?

Next we want to answer some of the most frequently asked questions (we'll add these to the FAQ).

Q: Will backers get Steam keys when the game gets on Steam?
A: Yes! That's the plan.

Q: Are there any plans for multiplayer?
A: In short: yes. In long: we're all fans of multplayer games, and we're keen to bring multiplayer to Sir. We even have some specific plans for it. However, our priority is with executing a brilliant single-player game. Exactly when we do multiplayer therefore depends in part on the success of this Kickstarter, and in part on the popularity of the game after launch.

Q: Does the game feature tea-drinking?
A: Of course! We refer you to this shot of the inventory.

Q: Does reward X include previous tier reward Y?
A: Every tier includes all previous tiers' rewards. Sorry for not making that clear!

Q: Can we see more details for the tee and other reward items?
A: Absolutely, these will be the subject of future updates.

Q: UK Kickstarter isn't working for me, can I contribute via Paypal?
A: Yes, right here. Please only use that as a last resort, however, as it doesn't go towards our Kickstarter total!

Corto

So... Almost reached the goal hey? Nice. Everybody pledged already? Yes? Nice.Nice. Just a friendly reminder. Don't mind me. This game has robots you know? In tweed. So, what are you waiting for?

Dakota47

Update #3

Wow, we're stunned by how quickly we've hit target. Thanks, everyone! This money is going to help us turn our prototype into a fully-fledged game of being hunted by robots. Animation and new art will be the priority, and we'll be revealing new NPCs and other details in the coming days.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted will be released, all that remains to be seen from here is how much additional awesomeness we can cram in.

We'll also post some stretch goals later today.

Again, thanks. You guys are amazing.

image-178487-full.jpg

If I could choose one stretch goal, it would be co-op.

Jb

Super glad they got what they wanted, this project sounds very interesting. Hopefully they'll revamp their UI, the one they showed until now is really off putting.

Dakota47

Super glad they got what they wanted, this project sounds very interesting. Hopefully they'll revamp their UI, the one they showed until now is really off putting.

Why's that? Imo it suits the theme of the game rather well.

Corto

Yes, the UI for me was really fitting to the rest of the visuals of the game. Very Victorian with a bit of cartoonesque Team Fortress feeling.

Dakota47

Update #4

What Funding Means, Where Stretch Goals Can Take Us

As you know, the basic result of our being funded is to expand our prototype into a full game.

You've already seen the results of our work in the videos and screenshots we've released so far. Right now we can generate islands, be hunted by robots, loot buildings, and engage in survival and stealth activities. Kickstarter money gives us time to expand and polish all those basic aspects of the game, and lets us put real time into the things that really matter in play, like how the “feel” of combat comes across, and how the thresholds of detection and activity make the stealth game play out. This are critical design problems that require serious focus. We can now get on with that.

We can also finish work on our cast of NPCs, developing both their general AI behaviours, and – most critically - the animations that bring them to life. Here's the cast of horrors you've already unleashed:

The Hunters

These come in a number of tweedy flavours, but the net result is always that you are hunted across woodland and heath, with shotguns and worse. The hunter is the most common of the killer gentry, and they're keen on murder and tea. They aren't always friendly to each other, either. Different robot families have oil feuds that have been going on for years – expect to see them settling their differences while on the hunt.

The Hound

The hunter's best friend. The razor-jawed beasts chase the player down, pin them down, and let the hunter's rifle do its work. Learn to deal with these four-legged nasties with haste.

The Poacher

A trap-wielding, near-invisible interloper. Crudely armed with a blunderbuss and bear-traps, the poachers lie in wait, and will kill whatever wanders into their traps, whether it be robot or human...

The Squire

Middle-class mechanical, The Squire, isn't interested in hunting. He's not really interested in open hostility at all. You can walk up to a passive Squire without any danger. The huge beasts wander amiably around the villages, humming popular music hall tunes. That is until you try to loot a building. Then there might be trouble.

The Bog Creature

Briefly revealed at the end of our Kickstarter pitch video (admittedly in placeholder form) the bog creature is a mysterious tentacular contraption which lurks beneath the murky surface of the waters surrounding the archipelago. We 're going to love crafting that one. (Sorry.)

Oh, and, since a few of you asked about this, the game will, as standard, come in “Sir, You Are Being Hunted” and “Madam, You Are Being Hunted” modes. You will get to choose gender on game-start.

Stretch goals are additional features that we can promise if we hit higher levels of funding, now that the £40,000 goal has been reached. Here's what we're planning.

£45,000 - The Landowner

At this amount we'll be expanding our NPC roster with “The Landowner.” This chap is an aberrant mechanical ultra-toff. He's a leader among hunters, and the nightmare gaze of his glowing monocle means near-certain death, and at the very least lots of peril. With The Landowner in play, the player is truly in trouble – his tracking skills and his riflemanship are peerless. Fear him.

£50,000 - Hunting!

This stretch goal will allow us to include additional wildlife-slaying functionality. You will be able to hunt pheasants and rabbits and then cook them for sustenance. This will provide a complementary mode of survival for players aside from scavenging, as well as furnishing the world of Sir with more life. (And death.)

£55,000 - The Castle biome.

A completely new island type on which a ruined castle is procedurally generated across the entire island. This will provide the game with both a radically different terrain, and an atmospheric arena in which to be systematically hunted down and shot. (We're really excited about this one – more proc-gen makes Tom happy.)

£60,000 - ???????????????? TO BE REVEALED

£70,000 - ???????????????? TO BE REVEALED

£80,000 - ???????????????? TO BE REVEALED

Well, we can dream, eh?

As for the multiplayer question, well, we are focused on delivering a single player game right now. We do have a plan for multiplayer, but it will take a lot more cash. Therefore we'll place it very high on stretch-goal targets. That's all we can say for now.

Love you!

-BR

Zarx

Hunting needs to get in, that seems like a key feature IMO. With 28 days to go that should be very doable.

Corto

Hunting needs to get in, that seems like a key feature IMO. With 28 days to go that should be very doable.

YES. It will add to the tension also. Do I die of starvation or risk making noise and alert the robots? dum dum dum dum dum A multiplayer mode at an higher level would be great also. It's surprising that this is not getting much traction here. It's a new developer, but rockpapershotgun seems to have a following that would make this at least a bigger blip in the GAFdar.

Dakota47

It's surprising that this is not getting much traction here. It's a new developer, but rockpapershotgun seems to have a following that would make this at least a bigger blip in the GAFdar.

Yes, I am surprised as well. I would have expected GAF to be all over this game.

Dakota47

Update #5

One More Stretch Goal Revealed

This really is amazing progress, we're all stunned and very pleased! We're going to add a stoat to the general wildlife, too, for some reason.

So far you guys have unlocked:

£45,000 - The Landowner UNLOCKED

At this amount we'll be expanding our NPC roster with “The Landowner.” This chap is an aberrant mechanical ultra-toff. He's a leader among hunters, and the nightmare gaze of his glowing monocle means near-certain death, and at the very least lots of peril. With The Landowner in play, the player is truly in trouble – his tracking skills and his riflemanship are peerless. Fear him.

£50,000 - Hunting! UNLOCKED

This stretch goal will allow us to include additional wildlife-slaying functionality. You will be able to hunt pheasants and rabbits and then cook them for sustenance. This will provide a complementary mode of survival for players aside from scavenging, as well as furnishing the world of Sir with more life. (And death.)

And we're pretty close to:

£55,000 - The Castle biome.

A completely new island type on which a ruined castle is procedurally generated across the entire island. This will provide the game with both a radically different terrain, and an atmospheric arena in which to be systematically hunted down and shot. (We're really excited about this one – more proc-gen makes Tom happy.)

Therefore we're adding:

£60,000 - Hot Air Balloon Spotter Patrols

This will probably take a little bit of explaining. Basically, the robots will man a hot air balloon which will make passes over the islands. From there they'll be able to direct hunters on the ground, and take pot-shots at you if and when they spot you. This adds some verticality to think about, especially as balloons are silent most of the time. Keep your eyes on the skies! These balloon patrols might be slow moving, but they will provide platforms for the hunters to snipe and spot you over a large area at any one time, and as such should provide serious jeopardy.

We really want to include these, but they were just on the drawing board until now. Soon they could be a real addition. We're excited.

-BR

Beckx

backed this and so excited about it.

More and more intrigued these days by procedurally generated worlds. Tevis Thompson has a great essay about what they bring to the table.

Top Bottom