• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sir, You're Being Hunted - procedurally generated survival STALKER shooter is on KS

Dakota47

Pretty excited to play this. Glad I kickstarted it. So the Beta hasn't begun yet? I don't think I pledged enough for the beta, but when is the game coming for the rest of us? Have they said?

The beta will begin shortly. When the game launches is still up in the air, but September/October is probably a safe guess.

Dakota47

Early access is imminent. \0/ Just received this email:

Well, this IS exciting.

We will soon be inviting you to the early access test of Sir, You Are
Being Hunted, because you backed £30 or higher on our Kickstarter
drive.

It is unbelievably import for you to email me (you can reply to this
mail) with your Big-Robot.com forum user name. If you are not already
registered then please sign up here:
http://www.big-robot.com/forum/register.php

We will then grant you access to the super secret and very important
test forum for this Early Access phase. It's critical that you provide
us with feedback during the next phase of development, and we will be
relying on your vigilance and gaming knowledge to balance the game and
stomp bugs.

Your build of the game will arrive via the Humble Store within the
next week, and that invite will be sent to the email you used for
Kickstarter, or your Paypal mail if you backed us via Paypal.

cheers,

-jim

Dakota47

It's beginning, finally!

Hello there,

We just sent off alpha builds to Humble Store, so they should soon set
about processing your details and sending you the early builds of the
game. Not sure how long that will take, but I should imagine it will
occur early this week.

Can I once again implore everyone to sign up to the forums for
information and feedback: http://www.big-robot.com/forum/register.php

If you have not already done so, please send me your username, and I
will set you to the appropriate level.

Anyone who has already sent me their forum username should already be
able to see the secret forum. If you can't, then get in touch so I can
help you.

-jim

Just in case you get the game before you can see the delights of the
forum, here's my guide:

HOW TO PLAY

Between your own immensely deep gaming knowledge and our brilliant
tutorial systems, there will no need for you to be told how to play
Sir, You Are Being Hunted. However, we wanted to make a few things
doubly clear, just in case there was any discombobulation along the
way.

In short, you can watch this video, BUT IT CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS, so
if you want to explore the game with an entirely fresh brain, do not
watch:

Alternatively, follow the steps below.

Firstly, choose your preferred gender:

The sex toggle will switch the game's details over to the Sir or Madam
versions, at your discretion.

Please do visit our graphics and control menus before you generated a
world. Vsync is useful to reduce screen tearing - this is an issue
caused by the vast amounts of geometry our game wishes you to see.
Have a tinker with FOV and mouse controls of course, but remember to
hit "done", or they won't stick. FOV only becomes visible when you
close the menu, and I think we are without exact numerals for it in
this build. Sorry about that.

Then it's time to play the game.

Having selected a slot for your world to generate in, you will see
this screen:

Please note that the outer four islands can currently be flipped
between mountain and rural biomes, while the advanced controls are
greyed out. We will unlock these, giving you greater control over the
generation variables, later in the test. For now, make a world with a
couple of rural islands and a couple of mountain islands. Then
generate! That should take a minute or two, depending on your CPU.

And so:

On starting the game you will be greeted by a scene not dissimilar to
this one.

(1) Follow these instructions, and read the messages contained
therein. They will provide you with loot, and teach you about the
mysterious fragments, and the standing stones.

(2) Just to be clear: that standing stone with the lights emanating
from it is the standing stone. It is the main save point in the game,
so hit the save button every time you visit it!

(3) That thing with the eye in the middle is the visibility meter. The
greater the number of bars showing, the more visible you are to the
robots in the world. Visibility takes into account how fast you are
moving, and what foliage you are in. Crawl through a cornfield and you
will see the meter empty - you are almost invisible. Run across open
ground, and you will see it max out - you can be seen for miles.

(4) Vitality? What's that? Well it's how quickly you will heal after
sustaining some manner of injury. Keep it up high and you will recover
quickly, but if it's low then you might not recover at all. If it
falls to zero for any length of time, then you will begin to starve.
As they say in another excellent videogame: don't starve.

(5) This shows what is currently equipped in your hand, and any
consumables relating to it, such as bullets for a gun. Fairly obvious,
eh?

(6) The compass marks out some important locations with icons. The
circle icon is the Standing Stone circle, and boats are marked with a
pentagon. The boats can be used to get to the other islands.

(7) Go and find things! There could be loot behind any door.

Any questions? Ask, and we will answer them.

Dakota47

This game gives a wonderful first impression. The menu, the music, entering the world at dusk with the sun coming up just to your right. I did a small tutorial / introductory task and then looked to my right to simply admire the view.

aHQ65duh.jpg

This game really does look great. Not in a Crysis / Witcher way, but through its art design. I really dig the atmosphere it manages to create. Especially the lighting looks very good. The different stages of the day for example, or wisps just illuminating their direct surroundings. Check out what mid-day looks like.

The gameplay is very enjoyable. The game lives up to its name: the feeling of being hunted is ever present. All the NPCs are hostile, the world is inhospitable and you can't stay put in one place for too long. The vitality feature adds to that; you're always on the look-out for consumables. And lets not forget these buggers of course ....

Exploration is fun too. Even though the world is procedurally generated it looks like it was meant to look as it does (does that even make sense?). Example: I found an artifact (collecting those is what drives the game forward) guarded by two hunters and a save point (you can only save in certain spaces in the game) conveniently situated behind a hill nearby. Simply running into weird stuff is interesting too.

All in all I had a very positive first hour with it. Backing this game was a good idea.

Moobabe

I dont really like Alpha and Beta, but I did Kickstar and will play when its released. Look like a fun game!

Maybe this is a little rude - but would you mind if I had your alpha key off you if you're not going to use it? I missed this going through kickstarter - I'd be happy to get you a game on steam for like £10 or something.

epmode

Oh man, I'm excited about this one. It would be nice if we could actually enter the buildings but I guess that's what sequels are for!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this is a little rude - but would you mind if I had your alpha key off you if you're not going to use it? I missed this going through kickstarter - I'd be happy to get you a game on steam for like £10 or something.

I don't think that's rude at all!

It would be rude to say "Give me your game!"

FACE

Banned
I saw their Rezzed session and became very hyped as a result, thanks for keeping this thread updated Dakota.

clockpunk

Sir pretty much encapsulates *everything* I look for in titles... so I think it may be prove to be one of the defining games of this 'generation' for me. Perhaps because I'm British, it helps the theme take hold... ;)

If only the individual buildings/houses were enterable, and you could try and hide under, say, the table while robot hunters ransack the garden and peep in through the windows... that would be simply sublime. Alas... but I do understand why this wouldn't be feasible.

Apparently Sony have reached out to the dev team (annoying enough, as I'm a Microsoft-based console gamer - detest everything about the PS3 store and slow, clunky, endlessly-updating interface - but this in not the place for that rant), but a console port to PS4 might just sway me - that is how strongly the game appeals to me (it is the only thing that would). At least, that's what Jim mentioned in a Twitter correspondence. ^_^

Interested in pre ordering this game, but unless I missed it, I couldn't find spec requirements.

I have an Asus X401A with Windows 7, Pentium Dual Core B970 @ 2.3GHz, 4GB of Ram, and Intel HD Graphics 2000.

Would I be able to run Sir, YABH, at least on low settings, hopefully on medium or even high?

Dakota47

Interested in pre ordering this game, but unless I missed it, I couldn't find spec requirements.

I have an Asus X401A with Windows 7, Pentium Dual Core B970 @ 2.3GHz, 4GB of Ram, and Intel HD Graphics 2000.

Would I be able to run Sir, YABH, at least on low settings, hopefully on medium or even high?

There's a thread on the early access feedback forum where people post their specs and framerates. I've checked it for you and people with comparable computers run it on low with about 20 to 30 fps. The devs will probably optimize the game in the coming weeks, but I wouldn't expect any wonders and medium/high graphics seem out of the question.

There's a thread on the early access feedback forum where people post their specs and framerates. I've checked it for you and people with comparable computers run it on low with about 20 to 30 fps. The devs will probably optimize the game in the coming weeks, but I wouldn't expect any wonders and medium/high graphics seem out of the question.
Thank you, appreciate it. Yeah, I know my specs are pretty crappy. (Didnt expect to get addicted to PC gaming lol). But I'm fine with low settings. I'll probably be getting a new laptop soon cause I have a new semester in September

Can you provide the link please?

Dakota47

Thank you, appreciate it. Yeah, I know my specs are pretty crappy. (Didnt expect to get addicted to PC gaming lol). But I'm fine with low settings. I'll probably be getting a new laptop soon cause I have a new semester in September

Can you provide the link please?

I can, but the feedback forum is only accessible for Kickstarter backers with alpha access at the moment. That's why I checked it for you.

I can, but the feedback forum is only accessible for Kickstarter backers with alpha access at the moment. That's why I checked it for you.
I see, thank you again.

So low settings, I guess? Minecraft is too intensive to run lag free on my laptop and Dont Starve doesn't have that same sense of exploration, but seeing the gorgeous screenshots on this page...this looks like the kind of exploration game I love, with the awesome survival and stealth elements I enjoy.

Any links to threads about player moments or stories? One of my favorite things to do is to read DayZ forums for player's stories, so fascinating. And this game seems ripe for the emergent unscripted "Oh Shit" moments that I love so much in games

Ok, final question: does this game support integrated graphics? I know some games don't support them

Anyway, appreciate your help. I should probably also ask on the official forums

Dakota47

There's a new build available for people with alpha access. Looking forward to trying out the new biome tonight. Patch log:

CHANGES
  • NEW - FOV slider has numerical value.
  • NEW - Intoxication effects from various consumables.
  • Matchbox is now infinite use, match/book /remains single use. Matchbox made very rare.
  • NEW - Trombone can now be used to make noise (only as a 'right click' within inventory atm, will be equipable soon!)
  • Game now starts at midday, not dawn.
  • NEW – Time of day saved when you save/change islands.
  • Binoculars mouse sensitivity scales when you zoom (easier to handle when zoomed in).
  • Vitality drop rate reduced. Food made slightly rarer to compensate.
  • Minimum value for mouse sensitivity reduduced. Should be easier to get acceptable results on some macs now.
  • NEW – Dead bots now spurt to make finding corpses in long grass easier.
  • NEW – Improved high detail water
  • Raven sensitivity to sound increased. Should be easier to spook with stones/bottles now.
  • Tutorial text no longer visible through scenery.
  • Balloon sensitivity increased. Balloon should spot nearby movement more easily.
  • Removed AI state debug text toggle (Hah! Take that wallhackers!)
  • Made Delete World text less ambiguous.
  • NEW – Fall damage. You are not Chell out of off of Portal anymore.
  • NEW – new church types and distribution.
  • NEW - new solo building types and distribution.
  • NEW - New Fens biome.
  • Minimum AI detection range capped. Impossible to stand at their feet and not be seen now...
  • View now always locked on Stones for a second at start of game. Inland from boats. (Should stop issue where you start looking at ground or sky cos you moved the mouse during blackout).
  • * Day/Night cycle and light shafts tweaked.
  • * Axe nerfed. No more one hit kills. (Temporary measure until cricket bat is in, axe was way too OP when it's this common.)
  • Tweaked some loot scarcities.
  • NEW - Bots now have chance to drop broken shotgun...

FIXES
  • Tutorial Device Piece now spawns away from stones a little. Was occasionally getting embedded.
  • Damage Effects (red veins) now scale correctly with screen aspect ratio
  • Fixed loot duplication exploit with starting body.
  • Fixed issue where you could get stuck in crouch is you used Controls menu while crouched.
  • Fixed issue where you could catapult yourself into the air when leaving the water.
  • Fixed missing texture on part of a house.
  • “Rebuilding Inventories” hang on loading fixed. Cooked Meat was causing blockage...
  • Fixed ammo duplication exploit when changing islands
  • Only one book type was spawning. Others should be readable now.
  • Jack Robot Killer part 1 text adjusted to stop running off page.
  • Escape from boat menu now works.
  • Invisible fences issue fixed.

Dakota47

You don't like the title "Sir, You Are Being Hunted"?

Would you rather it be called Hunted By Robots Simulator or something equally generic and/or uninteresting?

I love the name. It's intriguing, instantly conveys a tone and premise of the game, and just sounds cool, IMO

I don't get the hate either. Plus tweed doesn't really equal hipsters, does it?

Top Bottom