• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii to Wii U System Transfer Detailed

Penguin

Polygon has posted how the transfer between the two systems will work

The process is somewhat similar to the transfer process between Nintendo's handheld devices, but requires a couple of extra steps. First, users must insert an SD card into the Wii U to initiate the process using the console's Wii System Transfer application. After starting the process, the user must put the same SD card into their Wii, and download another transfer application from the Wii Shop Channel. That app will move data over to the card, which must be put back into the Wii U, at which point the Wii data is moved to the console, and deleted from the card altogether.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/7/3613798/nintendo-outlines-wii-to-wii-u-data-transfer-process

Also shows what can be transferred over.

D_prOdigy

Wonderful, so long as it really does carry every game's data over (in contrast to how one couldn't shift Brawl data between Wiis).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds pretty decent

Although I don't see why you have to first insert the SD card on the Wii U.

Why not just let you initiate from the Wii alone then complete the transfer whenever you get the Wii U?

Is the transfer app already live on WiiWare then?

Wiz

Seems pretty painless. Hopefully they don't mind modded systems in the process.

Would be interesting to see if they transfer over modified SSBB saves or if Nintendo has a system in store to plug exploits using it.

If not, we'll likely see Wii homebrew up on the Wii U the same day and custom Wii firmware within the Wii U in a month.

My only concern is how this will handle things like the Homebrew Channel. I don't want to port that to my Wii U, in all honesty, but I'm concerned that the fact I have it installed (or that it's even listed in my play history) will trigger some kind of red flag.

I didn't pirate any Wii games, but I'd imagine a lot of people who installed the HBC did, so this sort of thing would totally be justified. It'd just suck, since I have a lot of legitimately-purchase Wii Shop Channel fluff I'd like to migrate.

Berg

Probably has been answered, but I have two wii's each with different Wiiware/VC games. They are both registered to my club nintendo account. Will I be able to put both sets of wiiware/vc games into my WiiU?

Could it be Wii systems transfer?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My only concern is how this will handle things like the Homebrew Channel. I don't want to port that to my Wii U, in all honesty, but I'm concerned that the fact I have it installed (or that it's even listed in my play history) will trigger some kind of red flag.

I didn't pirate any Wii games, but I'd imagine a lot of people who installed the HBC did, so this sort of thing would totally be justified. It'd just suck, since I have a lot of legitimately-purchase Wii Shop Channel fluff I'd like to migrate.
No, it wouldn't be justified in any way. I'm sure there won't be anything like that.

Or at most you'll be able to delete the channel and redo the process fine.

I'm wondering the same thing.

Bear

I'd imagine anything unofficial wouldn't be recognized and simply be ignored during the process.

Yuterald

Yeah, I want to know this too. I guess I'll wait and see impressions from those who modded their Wii since I won't be getting the Wii U at launch. I too haven't pirated any Wii games. I just use it for import games I legitimately purchased (oh, and Japanese-only SNES RPGs that have been fan-translated, lol!).

Pajamas

So... what if all my VC and WiiWare games are already on an SD card? Is the system going to transfer over my licenses and then make me re-download everything or will it download everything to the SD card that will go in my WiiU?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's probably a good idea to nuke the HBC and any out of region saves before you make the transfer. You can always move the euro saves to another SD card if you intend to save them.

Yeah, I want to know this too. I guess I'll wait and see impressions from those who modded their Wii since I won't be getting the Wii U at launch. I too haven't pirated any Wii games. I just use it for import games I legitimately purchased (oh, and Japanese-only SNES RPGs that have been fan-translated, lol!).

yeah I'm sure as shit not going to be the guinea pig on this one.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So... what if all my VC and WiiWare games are already on an SD card? Is the system going to transfer over my licenses and then make me re-download everything or will it download everything to the SD card that will go in my WiiU?

This is my concern as well. It sounds like it can only transfer stuff that's on the Wii System Memory directly. So there will be LOTS of transfers needed for some of us...

Interesting that you can seemingly move Wii Points across, after they didn't allow it on DS. I wonder if it will convert Wii Points into real money, or if they're planning on having the Wii Shop Channel as a separate thing from the eShop. It would make things pretty fragmented compared to how they handled it for the 3DS.

FyreWulff

Although I don't see why you have to first insert the SD card on the Wii U.

My guess: it's a key system.

You start the process on the Wii U. The Wii U encodes certain information and places it on the SD card. It also notifies Nintendo's servers that it's "open" for a transfer.

You then take the card over to the Wii. The Wii transfer app checks the key so it knows which Wii U it's reauthorizing the data for. The Wii app then copies the data to the SD card, re-encrypting it for your new Wii U.

Card goes back to the Wii U, copies it over, and blanks the card.

Allows you to move your content over in absence of an account system, with minimal bandwidth usage (with respect to caps, especially if you bought tons of Rock Band content) since it's just using Nintendo's servers for authorization, and people don't have to type in serial numbers and such. Sounds like a weird process but it's idiot proof with the situation they have with the Wii.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do we know if the content you transfer will be tied to the Wii U console or to your Nintendo Network account? Sounds like this is a hardware -> hardware thing, but I just don't want to believe Nintendo will keep doing stupid shit like that.

MarkusRJR

All I want to know is that hardware locked save files are able to transfer over. I don't want to lose my SSBB save file and my town in Animal Crossing. Oh, and can we transfer content over from 2 Wii consoles?

Vitet

What about this:
Registration_Main.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's alright then, I'm happy to redownload it on the new system as long as everything goes smoothly.

If nobody has tried it by the time I get a Wii U, I shall attempt the transfer from a Homebrew-tainted Wii. Y'know, for the sake of science. [/Provide Useful Feedback] :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Do we know if the content you transfer will be tied to the Wii U console or to your Nintendo Network account? Sounds like this is a hardware -> hardware thing

The software will surely be tied to your Nintendo Network account, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to freely download it to any system. There's yet to be any evidence that software isn't locked to each system -- plenty to suggest you'll be able to transfer it between systems, but none to suggest that you can access all your software on multiple systems at a time.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So do we know for certain whether this will transfer all game information? Am I gonna be able to move my Brawl data over to my Wii U, or am I just gonna keep playing that one on the Wii? I guess I might as well since I can't use GameCube controllers on WiiU anyway and I never learned how to play Brawl any other way, buuuut I'd love to be able to consolidate.

Foshy

Just out of curiosity, are Wii Points converted into "real money" when you transfer them over to Wii U?

bumpkin

Once I have the Wii U and everything transferred, I'm pretty much only going to use my original Wii for testing homebrew I develop. I think people are right in saying that it being on there (your Wii) as a channel isn't going to hurt anything or matter during transfer. It likely just won't work on the Wii U. At least that's my hope.

Pyrrhus

So as somebody who used Homebrew on my Wii in order to play Xenoblade and Last Story before they came out in the US, what do you think this means for my ability to transfer my purchases from the Wii shop to the Wii U?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I decided against doing the transfer from either of our Wii. While we have a number of Virtual Console and WiiWare titles, it`s not worth wiping the Homebrew just to launch those applicants from the Wii U's "Wii Mode".

If I can eventually launch VC titles directly from the Wii U's menu, maybe I'll bite in the future.

Now my question is, I reached capacity on my Wii a while back and deleted stuff and moved stuff to an SD card, I wonder if it allows you to do it multiple times to the same Wii U or will bring your download history over to the Wii U kinda like system transfer on the 3DS?

Top Bottom