• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii to Wii U System Transfer Detailed

Ydahs

Now my question is, I reached capacity on my Wii a while back and deleted stuff and moved stuff to an SD card, I wonder if it allows you to do it multiple times to the same Wii U or will bring your download history over to the Wii U kinda like system transfer on the 3DS?
Pretty sure it'll transfer over your download history.

Most Wii save data can be moved, but what about ones like Smash Bros.?
Homebrew exists to port that save data to an SD card regardless, so it's certainly possible. I imagine Nintendo's own software will do this for you, because it'd be mighty inconvenient to port most of your saves and then go "oh, you have Brawl? SCREW YOU UNLOCK SONIC ALL OVER AGAIN"

MisterHero

Homebrew exists to port that save data to an SD card regardless, so it's certainly possible. I imagine Nintendo's own software will do this for you, because it'd be mighty inconvenient to port most of your saves and then go "oh, you have Brawl? SCREW YOU UNLOCK SONIC ALL OVER AGAIN"
Unlocking characters isn't a big deal, but trophies, stickers, etc. are. D;

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Transfer process last step wiping it from the SD you used is a hint...
... that it runs in Wii U internal memory, much like it ran in Wii internal memory?

That still doesn't tell us that it will run directly off SD (like the 3DS) or USB (like the Wii U).

piteru

Banned
well here is my concern
i have all my vc/wii ware games(which are a lot!) in my sd card in my wii since the internal memory is not enough to have them all.
when i do the transfer,will i be able to transfer the games?(i know its impossible since we dont have a 2 sd slot)
although if the transfer contains the whole download history,i dont minde re-download them..

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
well here is my concern
i have all my vc/wii ware games(which are a lot!) in my sd card in my wii since the internal memory is not enough to have them all.
when i do the transfer,will i be able to transfer the games?(i know its impossible since we dont have a 2 sd slot)
although if the transfer contains the whole download history,i dont minde re-download them..

Yeah, guess not, but save files are on the system memory after all.

NeoRausch

What about this:
Registration_Main.jpg

isn't that programm about to die anyway?

any word on how big the SD Card needs to be at least? can i just delete all the stuff off of my Wii SD card and anything gets copied anyway?

bumpkin

well here is my concern
I didn't even think about this... I have most of my VC games on my SD card for the same reason; not enough free space on my Wii. Hopefully there is some nature of "download history" transfer that takes place with the Wii U's eShop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The important question is: Will there be Pikmin?

With Pikmin 3 on the way, they should switch the transfer process to F-Zero. Little racers can do laps, picking up blocks of data and dropping them off at the finish line.

well here is my concern

Don't know about games on the SD card, but your Wii Shop Channel activity gets transferred so you should have your download history.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I didn't even think about this... I have most of my VC games on my SD card for the same reason; not enough free space on my Wii. Hopefully there is some nature of "download history" transfer that takes place with the Wii U's eShop.

I assume so. That's how the DSi to 3DS transfer works.

kunonabi

So this transfer wipes the Wii clean like the 3DS transfer right? I'm just going to leave my stuff where it is then.

bumpkin

So this transfer wipes the Wii clean like the 3DS transfer right? I'm just going to leave my stuff where it is then.
The OP's quote says that it wipes the SD card clean after you put it back into the Wii U and it completes the transfer. I didn't see anything mentioned about it wiping the source Wii's system memory.

Oh well, if it does end up wiping the source system, at least I still own Brawl and can re-run the HBC install process.

Madao

The OP's quote says that it wipes the SD card clean after you put it back into the Wii U and it completes the transfer. I didn't see anything mentioned about it wiping the source Wii's system memory.

Oh well, if it does end up wiping the source system, at least I still own Brawl and can re-run the HBC install process.

that's one thing i want to know too.

it would be very practical to have everything in both consoles as an incentive to everyone who invested in VC/Wiiware.

Vitet

any word on how big the SD Card needs to be at least? can i just delete all the stuff off of my Wii SD card and anything gets copied anyway?

I mean, all the Nintendo NES games I got from that will be on Wii U too?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

If it doesn't wipe the Wii console, I'd be surprised. Unless they have some sort of solution for a one time transfer. Otherwise I could just port all my WiiWare / VC titles to all the Wii U systems I wanted.

Any idea for multiple Wii transfers? I have one Wii that has a lot of VC games, where as the other has a lot of game saves.

I guess if it can't do both, then just transfer everything on to one Wii and transfer that to the Wii U

Drago

Any idea for multiple Wii transfers? I have one Wii that has a lot of VC games, where as the other has a lot of game saves.

I guess if it can't do both, then just transfer everything on to one Wii and transfer that to the Wii U
I'm in the same situation :(

I don't see why they wouldn't allow it but you never know with Nintendo

gryz

Banned

me too, didn't realize this was so common haha

bryehn

Probably has been answered, but I have two wii's each with different Wiiware/VC games. They are both registered to my club nintendo account. Will I be able to put both sets of wiiware/vc games into my WiiU?

Could it be Wii systems transfer?

Hahahha. Oh wow.

...sorry for laughing man, but I doubt it.

Fredrik

Wii -> Wii U = check!

Second Wii -> Wii U = check?

Would be awesome. Preferable so that the games and saves from the second Wii end up on a user account of my choice on Wii U.

So do we know at all yet whether or not the transfer program will be available day one?

Also is it confirmed that purchases will be tied to our accounts/NiN IDs (ie: after this, no more annoying between-system transfers)?

FyreWulff

What about retail WiiU games do you know if they can be installed to your system hard drive or USB hard drive?

Digital version of Tekken Wii U is 17GB. So it's more than confirmed (you need a hard drive to even have enough space to download it)

Installation like 360 or PS3? Dunno

What about this:
Registration_Main.jpg
Thats simple. The promotion is being discontinued before Wii U launch. Connect to Wii Shop if you've made any new connections, else you won't get the points from them.

Yep. I'm surprised how few people are aware of the fact. Then again a low-key story on the NOE/Australia pages is all there has been.

I mean, all the Nintendo NES games I got from that will be on Wii U too?
You'll no longer be able to gift gold or platinum games but you keep them. Source: here. A bit slow, also official source of NOE site goes to error 404 is no longer Waluigi but Error. NOE seem to have nuked the news stories (again) in the site redesign.

Don't know about games on the SD card, but your Wii Shop Channel activity gets transferred so you should have your download history.
Looks like I won't be doing the transfer then (some dubious purchases made in 2008 back when Wii Shop regions could be swapped with homebrew, I'd like to think I'm part of the reason that the eShop has separate wallets for each country). I'm not too bothered.

RedSwirl

What about purchases that you have sitting on another SD card? I'm guessing the Wii U will just receive records of all your purchases and you can redownload those things.

jmizzal

Digital version of Tekken Wii U is 17GB. So it's more than confirmed (you need a hard drive to even have enough space to download it)

Installation like 360 or PS3? Dunno

Yea I know u can do it with Digital games, I want to know about installation like PS3 has.

I'll finally be able to mod my Wii and import games! I've been waiting for WiiU's release to transfer all my data before risking it.

backlot

I wonder if I need to use them now or just use them after transfer. I don't want to be a discount item or some other crap. Hell, I have close to 4000 wii points just sitting unused.

I have even more leftover points than that. If I could use them to download Wii U software that'd be pretty cool.

I bet it deletes the data from the old system. Why can't I have the games I bought on Both?

Because then many people would turn around and put an ad on Craigslist for their old Wii stating "Pre-Loaded with over 30 games!!!!!". Nintendo is way to squirrelly about piracy to allow people to get something free/illegally.

Awesome. Totally awesome.

Once I get my own transfers finished up, my Wii will become a Pandora's Tower and Zangeki box before I send it off.

TreIII

My only concern is how this will handle things like the Homebrew Channel. I don't want to port that to my Wii U, in all honesty, but I'm concerned that the fact I have it installed (or that it's even listed in my play history) will trigger some kind of red flag.

I didn't pirate any Wii games, but I'd imagine a lot of people who installed the HBC did, so this sort of thing would totally be justified. It'd just suck, since I have a lot of legitimately-purchase Wii Shop Channel fluff I'd like to migrate.

Yeah, I got a similar concerns, considering I plan to get a Japanese Wii U next month, and I got more than a couple Japanese game saves on my American Wii thanks to Freeloader/Homebrew Channel-related shenanigans.

I wonder if there's a way this process can actually salvage those Japanese saves for my upcoming Japanese console, since it should be able to recognize that data. If not, oh well. I guess there's worse fates than having to re-play Zangeki and Captain Rainbow from scratch!

Top Bottom