• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii to Wii U System Transfer Detailed

Eusis

PS3 needs installs due to the slow Blu Ray drive. Wii U has a much faster BR drive in it. They won't need installs.
They're always useful though as long as the format being installed to can be read from faster, so hopefully we see that option on the Wii U. Especially with the ease of getting external HDs, doubly so if we start seeing good external SSDs or hybrid SSD/HDDs.

I wonder if there's a way this process can actually salvage those Japanese saves for my upcoming Japanese console. If not, oh well. I guess there's worse fates than having to re-play Zangeki and Captain Rainbow from scratch!
You might be able to do it like you normally do on a Wii. Boot the games on the system. Copy saves over using SD card (game must be played once to copy save).

Well that won't help you with Zangeki (as it has online elements) unless the copy protect only applies to SD card rather than from (for former Wii menu hack can make it ignore copy for latter hope someone made a remove copy Ocarina code for the game itself which is unlikely) or it is a game thats smart regarding online info:
wiicopy.jpg
(when you finish copying it pops up with message saying some data couldn't be copied, it was took quick for me to snap though). My question to Nintendo is why didn't your online games do this rather than just be 100% uncopyable? I only discovered that by accident too. Anyone know any other games that behave this way?

TreIII

You might be able to do it like you normally do on a Wii. Boot the games on the system. Copy saves over using SD card (game must be played once to copy save).

Well that won't help you with Zangeki (as it has online elements) unless the copy protect only applies to SD card rather than from (for former Wii menu hack can make it ignore copy for latter hope someone made a remove copy Ocarina code for the game itself which is unlikely) or it is a game thats smart regarding online info:

(when you finish copying it pops up with message saying some data couldn't be copied, it was took quick for me to snap though). My question to Nintendo is why didn't your online games do this rather than just be 100% uncopyable? I only discovered that by accident too. Anyone know any other games that behave this way?

Ahh, very true! Completely forgot about this particular measure!

They're always useful though as long as the format being installed to can be read from faster, so hopefully we see that option on the Wii U. Especially with the ease of getting external HDs, doubly so if we start seeing good external SSDs or hybrid SSD/HDDs.

Wii U's BR drive is pegged at 25MB/s which is on par with USB2 transfer speeds, in other words it doesn't matter how fast the external, it's not going to be (much) faster than the BR drive sans seek time.

Eusis

Wii U's BR drive is pegged at 25MB/s which is on par with USB2 transfer speeds, in other words it doesn't matter how fast the external, it's not going to be (much) faster than the BR drive sans seek time.
I guess Seek Time alone could help, but I guess to get a big boost we'd have to have USB 3.0 and an external SSD. Though maybe using SD Cards is OK?

Though given that we'd have to either get multiple SDXC cards or keep juggling one... yeah, hard drive'd be more for the sake of buying digital games than installing.

I have stuff scattered on my Wii, on an SD card, on another SD card, and some stuff I flat out deleted because I ran out of space and forgot to redownload when I got the new SD card.

I wonder if it'll all transfer over smoothly in one go. Oh, and I hope it doesn't screw over HBC users. I only have that channel to play Xenoblade Chronicles which I bought for $90 and had shipped from the UK when I was sure it wasn't coming to the US :/

M3d10n

So, seems we won't need to have both consoles on and connected to the internet at the same time. It would be a complicated affair, even with the help of the Wii U gamepad.

Glass Joe

So you'll have to take the Wii online to download a channel, huh? I bet like the 3DS, a firmware update will be waiting to get that channel too. I'm pretty sure with homebrew, a firmware update is a big no-no, right? Similarly if the transfer process wipes the Wii.

I wanna move my VC / Wiiware over and I only used HB for legit purposes, but I doubt it's gonna be smooth sailing to do that. Not too worried about the U bricking since that doesn't seem to be in jeopardy, but losing the Wii and the stuff permanently in the attempt. Ah well I'll keep checking this thread, I'm sort of regretting modding in the first place.

Newsboy

Neo Member
Now what if I transfer the stuff from my Wii, and then transfer stuff from my sister's Wii (it's an old one I sold to her and has games she doesn't play on it). Will that be possible or is it only 1 Wii to 1 Wii U?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm pretty sure with homebrew, a firmware update is a big no-no, right?
False. Homebrew as seen in the GAF homebrew thread affects none of your Wii's other functions and at worst case homebrew will be deleted after an update while at best case it remains unaffected so I guess if there is in fact a firmware update and you really want your homebrew you could wait a day for confirmation that it doesn't affect it and the possibility of reinstallation.

Tyeforce

So, wait...is it known if it's possible to pick and choose certain games to transfer over, and transfer games from multiple systems just like DSi to 3DS? I'd really like to combine the Virtual Console games on my Wii and my boyfriend's. That and I'd really, really like to buy/trade Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! from someone if I could find anyone willing to part with it, and that could only be done if the System Transfer works like that.

RaidenZR

I read earlier yesterday that you can only do the transfer in an all-or-nothing method. Which sounded unclear and I wasn't sure if that meant you have to do everything at once. Because if that's the case...

What if you have stuff on both an existing Wii SD card and on the Wii Channel Menu? How's that work when you're occupying the SD Card slot with the WiiU transfer tool on it? The whole fridge management thing makes this seem like you have to load stuff off a current Wii SD card, onto the Wii Channel Menu, then swap the SD card so your transfer one is in...

Arg... Head already hurts.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My guess is that it transfers all your purchased downloads licenses regardless of what's on the Wii's SD/internal memory and then also copies over the existing files so that you don't have to re-download them if you have already done so. Basically the actual file transfer is just a convenience, not a requirement for it to be in there in order to transfer the license, it should be downloadable from your Wii U (and only the Wii U, as licenses are removed from the Wii's unit account) regardless. But it's just a guess.

Fredrik

My guess is that it transfers all your purchased downloads licenses regardless of what's on the Wii's SD/internal memory and then also copies over the existing files so that you don't have to re-download them if you have already done so. Basically the actual file transfer is just a convenience, not a requirement for it to be in there in order to transfer the license, it should be downloadable from your Wii U (and only the Wii U, as licenses are removed from the Wii's unit account) regardless. But it's just a guess.
Sound like the 3DS-3DSXL transfer. It worked quite okay imo. You had to redownload everything on the new system but at least you didn't have to do the transfer several times like you would if you only transfer what's currently on the Wii Channels.

Glass Joe

Saw Nintendo post this link to my facebook:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_transfer_faq.jsp

Transferring System Data

Important! You will need to have both the Wii U and Wii on hand to perform a system transfer.

Q: I know games can be transferred from a Wii to a Wii U, but how about from a Wii U to a Wii U?

A: Transferring data from one Wii U to another Wii U is not supported at this time. However, we are looking into this feature and will provide an update if there is anything to report.

Q: If I bought a Basic console and purchase games from the Nintendo eShop, and then buy a Deluxe console and want to transfer those games, is that possible?

A: Transferring data from one Wii U to another Wii U is not supported at this time. However, we understand that this is a feature of interest to some consumers so we are taking that into consideration and are looking into this feature.

Q: If I transfer my games from Wii to Wii U, can I keep the games on both hardware?

A: Once the games are transferred from Wii to Wii U, the games are no longer usable on the Wii hardware.

Q: I forgot to transfer my digital games before I traded in my hardware, can I get these games back?

A: Once the console is traded, we have no way to retrieve the data.

Q: What Data is Transferred During a Wii to Wii U System Transfer, and what data is not Transferred?

A: The following is transferred during the system transfer process between a Wii and Wii U:
Wii Software Save Data
WiiWare and Save Data
Virtual Console titles and Save Data
Add-on Content
Wii Points
These points will be combined with the points on the target Wii U system, but cannot exceed a combined point total that would exceed 10,000 Wii Points
Wii Shop Channel Account Activity
Mii Characters
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection data

The following is not transferred during the system transfer process between a Wii and Wii U:
Data from Wii settings
Preinstalled WiiWare software and preinstalled Virtual Console titles.
Software and save data for which transfer is not permitted, such as WiiConnect24 data
Software that is present on both consoles
While the software will not overwrite what is already on the target Wii U system, the new save data will overwrite what is on the Wii U.
Nintendo GameCube Game Disc save data

So there's hope that it could just overlook the Homebrew Channel and consider it preinstalled Wii software that's not permitted for transfer?

So the Wii U is having a Bucks-based purchase System and a nested Wii-points system in the Wii VM? Do I get this right? I have a spare 3000 points card not used still. Need to "waste" it on some games then?

If I bought a Basic console and purchase games from the Nintendo eShop, and then buy a Deluxe console and want to transfer those games, is that possible?

A: Transferring data from one Wii U to another Wii U is not supported at this time. However, we understand that this is a feature of interest to some consumers so we are taking that into consideration and are looking into this feature.
So you cant just sign in and redownload from an account huh

jimi_dini

Software and save data for which transfer is not permitted, such as WiiConnect24 data

It seems this means copy-protected saves won't work. But do they work, if I copy them over to SD card using homebrew?
Or do they mean "transfer not permitted" as in "only special case saves, that we don't allow Wii->WiiU transfer over != copy-protected saves"

I don't want to lose my Endless Ocean 1+2 saves (and plenty of others).

cloudyy

So you cant just sign in and redownload from an account huh
Basically it's worse now. Digital still tied to the hardware AND you need an unnecessary account. Good job Nintendo and everyone bitching about it not having an account, as it would change anything with Nintendo not wanting you to duplicate data between hardware.

Ranger X

So you have to redownload everything apparently.
I am glad to see that WiiU is having a Virtual Console. I hope Nitnendo of America wakes up on it.

The only thing I don'T understand is why they wouldn't let me play my damn games on the system I want. I mean, why preventing a transfered game to play on the original Wii?? This is stupid.

randomkid

Haha, I smell a very justifiably angry/exasperated new thread for new news coming up.

Here's my question:
The following is not transferred during the system transfer process between a Wii and Wii U:
Preinstalled WiiWare software and preinstalled Virtual Console titles.

Does this mean games like the Magic Obelisk that were removed from the store can't be transferred to Wii U? Or will it remember the game in my download history?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Does this mean games like the Magic Obelisk that were removed from the store can't be transferred to Wii U? Or will it remember the game in my download history?

All titles are still available for download from your purchase history on the Wii. This appears to be talking about any software installed on the Wii when you bought it new.

I'm struggling to think of any relevant ones for North America, but I think this is referring to things like the Euro Donkey Kong Classic and the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary programs. Both were preinstalled on the hardware...

tenchir

It's actually 22.5 MB/s at the fastest point for BR-Drive.. USB2.0 speed can be 50% faster than that at 30+ MB/s, it just depend how good the usb controller and source is. My patriot xporter boost hits over 28 MB/s easy for example.

piteru

Banned
Nintendo has already fucked this whole thing.the day my wii shop purchases are tied to my nin account,is the day I transfer all my games to wiiu

Sandfox

Nintendo has already fucked this whole thing.the day my wii shop purchases are tied to my nin account,is the day I transfer all my games to wiiu

I may just be blanking but honestly do not see how they could pull that off since the Wii stuff is connected to the old shop and OS. They're looking into it so I'm evidently missing something lol

Madao

It seems this means copy-protected saves won't work. But do they work, if I copy them over to SD card using homebrew?
Or do they mean "transfer not permitted" as in "only special case saves, that we don't allow Wii->WiiU transfer over != copy-protected saves"

the hardest to redo saves are from titles that can't be copied. time to unlock everything again in SSBB, MKW and Fortune Steet if i want to use those games on Wii U.

piteru

Banned
I may just be blanking but honestly do not see how they could pull that off since the Wii stuff is connected to the old shop and OS. They're looking into it so I'm evidently missing something lol
I'm sorry but I don't buy that kind of crap from nintendo.we are in 2012, the company has introduced all kind of techs the past and the next generation and they can't migrate just my download history on my account. The least I could is this is bullshit and it's coming from a man that has two nintendo tattoos on his chest

Aeana

It seems confusing because this is a part of the page about Wii system transfer, but the way it's phrased really doesn't make it seem like it's about original Wii content. Let's take a look again:

Q: If I bought a Basic console and purchase games from the Nintendo eShop, and then buy a Deluxe console and want to transfer those games, is that possible?

The key part is bolded. The Wii does not have an eShop. You can only purchase Wii U content from the Wii U eShop. Unless they've screwed up their own terms, then this is about transferring Wii U content from one Wii U to another.

Teknoman

Hopefully it transfers tied licenses as well, because i've already moved all my Wiiware and VC games that were currently on the system, to the SD card I plan to use for transfer.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that kind of crap from nintendo.we are in 2012, the company has introduced all kind of techs the past and the next generation and they can't migrate just my download history on my account. The least I could is this is bullshit and it's coming from a man that has two nintendo tattoos on his chest

What kinda tattoos?

piteru

Banned
What kinda tattoos?
Japanese writing of "shigeru miyamoto" and "nintendo".I was in fear for a very long period,but 3 weeks ago the vice president of noe visited Greece along the line of the wiu promotion and in a small talk I showed then and he confirmed that it was the real deal(I was afraid of the spelling)
On topic:has nintendo released the video of how to do the procedure?

Roo

Smash Bros. Brawl :x

Can I do the Wii to Wii U transfer whenever I want, or do I have to do it right when I boot up my Wii U? I want to transfer my stuff from my Wii, obviously, but I might want to play around with my Wii U first.

Eusis

I'm REALLY hoping for the Wii U that it's less "whoops you're still downloading tickets with nothing tracked on the server" and more that it's like the 360 where you didn't have a license transfer tool until later on. Because if it's the former, or their license transfer tool is more like the 3DS's and less like the 360's... uhh, what the shit?

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe they can be asked what happens when you send a system in for replacement? Or if a system is stolen? That might help clear up just how it's working this time and what the future solution will be, if we get the correct answers anyway.

Top Bottom