• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Pureview *Velvet Rope* Thread of Floating Lenses or GTFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
Pureview owners, post your cinemagraphs, pictures, and rich recorded videos here.

AZL4022.jpg

info from Nokia white paper explaining some Pureview tech
To further improve low light performance we’ve adopted an extremely large f/2.0
camera aperture. Given our sensors are at least 10% larger than comparable sensors of
the same resolution to accommodate the true 16:9 aspect ratio, this was even more of
an optical design achievement than other cameras with a smaller sensor area.
Nokia’s use of bespoke custom oversized sensors instead of ‘off-the-shelf’ sensors to
provide true 16:9 and 4:3 formatted aspect ratios remains unique amongst
smartphones. Only a few digital cameras incorporate such sensors.

But the most significant improvement comes from Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS). Yes
there are smartphones, which include digital stabilisation algorithms, and whilst they
have improved over time they are still far behind the possibilities of effective OIS
systems. Whilst digital cameras have incorporated OIS for a while, it’s virtually unheard
of in smartphones due to the various size constraints. OIS works by detecting camera
movement using a gyroscope – a highly accurate sensor used to detect the degree and
direction of movement. But that’s pretty much where the similarity between Nokia’s OIS
system and broadly comparable OIS systems ends.

In most OIS systems, a lens element moves in the opposite direction to the measured
device movement to compensate for unintended movement, effectively cancelling out
camera shake. This is a similar principle to the process of noise cancellation.
In itself, incorporating OIS in to a smartphone is challenging enough, but Nokia has been
successful in surpassing the typical performance of OIS in many digital cameras by
taking full advantage of the smaller components and therefore reduced mass to move
during stabilisation.

Rather than a single lens element being shifted to compensate for camera shake, Nokia’s
OIS system moves the entire optical assembly in perfect synchronisation with the
camera movement, or to be more precise, unintended camera shake. The benefit of this
approach is that the amount and form of camera movement that can be compensated
for is much greater.

Many OIS systems may only be able to handle movement frequencies up to a certain
level. Based on our lab tests, Nokia’s new OIS system can cater for around 50% more
movements per second than conventional OIS systems – up to around 500
movements every second! Besides the high frequency compensation, the system also
needs to be able to respond extremely quickly to unintended movement to avoid so
called “phase shift” or compensation lag. To help achieve this very fast reaction time,
Nokia uses a closed loop system where the position of the lens assembly is monitored in
real time, even whilst it’s moving to its calculated position allowing it to be continuously
updated regardless of how random the camera movement is. This process of checking
operates at a rate of up to 5x more frequently than typical OIS systems, approximately
300 times faster than that of the average human reaction time to an expected event.

Adding up all of the advantages of Nokia’s OIS system means camera shake in lower
light can be compensated for to lower lighting levels than conventional OIS systems,
ultimately resulting in low light photography. As a point of reference, and depending on
the user’s ability to hold the device still, shutter speeds slower than 1/30th second
typically results in camera shake. Depending on the amount of camera movement
requiring compensation we’ve found in testing that shutter speeds as long as 1/4th
second can be used. This is a 3EV improvement or 8x longer shutter speed — which we
believe to be a new benchmark! This extends the low light performance of the camera to
a whole new level.

However, the advantages of OIS are not constrained to just still images in low light. OIS
can also help provide one-handed usage. Sometimes capturing pictures or video one
handed is more convenient and natural. However, even in reasonable lighting, this
typically results in camera shake. This really helps to extend the spontaneous use of
smartphones as a modern method of capturing moments as they occur during everyday
life.

One of the most important aspects of good smartphone video recording is smooth
recording. Capturing smooth video whilst moving can be extremely difficult. Even
ensuring small movements are unnoticeable during playback can require constant
concentration. This often results in video recording becoming tiring, other than for the
shortest of video clips. In addition, for the individual who’s recording it, it detaches them
from the ‘live’ action as they concentrate continuously on the viewfinder. When capturing
video OIS works slightly differently to when capturing stills. By detecting the different
movements the OIS system is able to compensate for unintended movement rather than
intended movements e.g. panning.

video examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU78NLs3aAw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvDiTrYC7DA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_CcV_s-FYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAANv7pB3fI

cinemagraph example
WP_20121111_14_18_47_Cinemagraph.gif

stills
edit: all samples taken from neogaf's lumia thread and wpcentral forums.

Cipherr

Great idea for a thread. One of the few exciting debuts of new mobile tech/software this year for smartphones.

But what about love for that one guy with the 808?

That would be me :(

Pureview 808 garbage as a phone. I've never been so frustrates with a smartphone ever.

It takes good pictures but having no image stabilizer on still hurts it.

Concert videos are OK but no match for the Sony rx100 in videos and stipls. Only good thing is the rich audio recording that's is in stereo compare to mono on the 920..

Here's the concert I've recorded with the 808.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3E82gSF074&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'll show you guys sample shots vs. The rx100 later on.

Yeah these over the top witty thread titles are getting out of control.

Nokia's Pureview Technology Thread (Lumia 920 OIS & Pureview 808 Oversampling)

Is that so damn difficult?

thirty

Banned
Sweet Jesus! Is there anyway I can get a 920 that works on tmobile?
supposedly the rogers version is unlocked and will work on t-mobile. or you can do what i did; buy it at the non commitment price of $450 from att, get a free wireless charger, have att unlock it, switch to straight talk mobile, and wait until t-mobile refarms their antennas so you'll be able to use unlocked att phones on their network.

Goldrush

Damn exclusivity! Part of me wants to buy the Lumia to use just as a point and shoot. I'm having a difficult time finding cheap compact point and shoot that could take good pictures in low-light situations.

Raistlin

Great job on the OP thirty!

subbed ... and will contribute once I get a chance to actually take some nice shots :p

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
supposedly the rogers version is unlocked and will work on t-mobile. or you can do what i did; buy it at the non commitment price of $450 from att, get a free wireless charger, have att unlock it, switch to straight talk mobile, and wait until t-mobile refarms their antennas so you'll be able to use unlocked att phones on their network.

Wow, I didn't know that. Nokia/MS/ATT suck for taking forever to ship the Lumia 920. I had money ready to drop on this phone, but the combination of taking their sweet time, and lack of details, made me buy a Nexus 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom